PDA

View Full Version : The Quintissential Monk (SP?)

Avalon2099
2011-06-05, 04:07 PM
I am running a level 3 gestalt game once every two weeks, one of my players was going on about Pressure Points for monks and asked if he could play one, I told him that I could find no such rules on it until he pointed me to the Quint" series, I don't have the book bit I've seen it but rarely heard it mentioned, my concern is the book too much? How are these pressure points in comparison with the rest of the system? If I allow this book I am setting precedent for the rest of the series. Please let me know if I am getting myself into something I shouldn't.

Vance_Nevada
2011-06-05, 05:24 PM
I'm not familiar with the Quint series, but most "Monks strike at the pressure points" can be done in game by simply taking Stunning Fist, a feat freely available to any 1st level monk. It stuns a target, makes them drop things, and could easily be described as a nerve pinch or a finger jab to the throat as well as anything.

There's also a number of Stunning Fist oriented feats that allow different effects like Sickened, etc.

Big Fau
2011-06-05, 05:26 PM
Before you even think about allowing this book, know that it is 3rd party and needs heavy reading and reviewing.

IIRC, the Quintessential line is 3.0-oriented too. Not that this should cause major issues, but keep that in mind as well.

People speak some praise of the Quintessential line, but I am wary of any company that makes a book specifically for the Druid class.

gallagher
2011-06-05, 05:33 PM
im with vance on this

in my experience, pressure points are needlessly complicated

FMArthur
2011-06-05, 05:51 PM
Before you even think about allowing this book, know that it is 3rd party and needs heavy reading and reviewing.

IIRC, the Quintessential line is 3.0-oriented too. Not that this should cause major issues, but keep that in mind as well.

People speak some praise of the Quintessential line, but I am wary of any company that makes a book specifically for the Druid class.

You bought the PHB, didn't you?

Big Fau
2011-06-05, 06:23 PM
You bought the PHB, didn't you?

The MM would have been more accurate. I bought the PHB because it's the only book you need to play a spellcaster, what with 4 of them being in it (and 3/4 being amongst the most powerful classes in the game).

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-05, 09:23 PM
I own a few of the Quint series. Most of the stuff within is just poorly written. The stuff that isn't tends to be things for fullcasters and aren't garbage just simply due to fullcasting.:smalltongue:

Seriously, though, some of that stuff is just terribly thought out. Not to say the same isn't true for 3.5, but at least with the in-house stuff, there was generally a clear sort of writing style, even if it led to some crazy things.

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-06, 12:23 AM
I like the Quintessential Monk because it gives you the Temple Swordsman, which makes a 1-level Monk dip crazy when combined with the Decisive Strike ACF from the PHB II. Pick a greatsword as your weapon, be a Goliath or something else Large/ With powerful build and you're doing 6d6+Strength x 3+ Power Attack x 2.

Big Fau
2011-06-06, 12:25 AM
I like the Quintessential Monk because it gives you the Temple Swordsman, which makes a 1-level Monk dip crazy when combined with the Decisive Strike ACF from the PHB II. Pick a greatsword as your weapon, be a Goliath or something else Large/ With powerful build and you're doing 6d6+Strength x 3+ Power Attack x 2.

But you can do that with Dungeoncrasher, probably around the same level, without the Monk dip or the 3rd party book.

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-06, 12:31 AM
But you can do that with Dungeoncrasher, probably around the same level, without the Monk dip or the 3rd party book.

Except this doesn't need a wall to hit someone into, does 2d6 more damage, 3 times Strength instead of 2 times Strength, can be power attacked, attaches weapon effects, and doesn't require a check.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-06, 12:41 AM
Except this doesn't need a wall to hit someone into, does 2d6 more damage, 3 times Strength instead of 2 times Strength, can be power attacked, attaches weapon effects, and doesn't require a check.

The ground is a sort of wall.

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-06, 12:43 AM
Bull Rushes push someone straight back, and the only way you're pushing someone straight back into the ground is if you are flying (and yes, that does work).

Greenish
2011-06-06, 12:44 AM
Except this doesn't need a wall to hit someone into, does 2d6 more damage, 3 times Strength instead of 2 times Strength, can be power attacked, attaches weapon effects, and doesn't require a check.And can't be used on anyone not standing next to you. :smallamused:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-06, 12:45 AM
Bull Rushes push someone straight back, and the only way you're pushing someone straight back into the ground is if you are flying (and yes, that does work).

Or jumping. Seriously, I have a 9th level character with a 40 ft. land speed, +25 jump, and Leaping Dragon Stance. It's not that hard to optimize.

Big Fau
2011-06-06, 12:46 AM

Really? Because I see 8d6+3*Str, which means the only thing missing is PA damage and weapon enhancements. And requires no multiclassing or 3rd party material that may or may not be 3.0.

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-06, 12:50 AM
Except that's the 8th level ability, and this is at level 2 minimum.

Greenish
2011-06-06, 12:51 AM
Really? Because I see 8d6+3*Str, which means the only thing missing is PA damage and weapon enhancements.Sir, where is your Knock-Back? :smalltongue:

[Edit]:
Except that's the 8th level abilityDungeoncrasher II is level 6.

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-06, 12:53 AM
Wait, how about we just combine the two? Knockback with my giant weapon, and combine with Dungeoncrasher for obscene damage output.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-06, 12:56 AM
Wait, how about we just combine the two? Knockback with my giant weapon, and combine with Dungeoncrasher for obscene damage output.

I'd rather not sully my build with something from Mongoose, but that's just me.:smalltongue:

Big Fau
2011-06-06, 12:59 AM

Because you can't Bull Rush when using the Decisive Strike ACF because it's a Full Round action, not a Full Attack action.

Greenish
2011-06-06, 01:03 AM
Because you can't Bull Rush when using the Decisive Strike ACF because it's a Full Round action, not a Full Attack action.Hence Knockback, which only requires you to hit with an attack while using Power Attack.

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-06, 01:04 AM
Knockback applies on the attack, so I can hit someone with my attack that just happens to be a Decisive Strike, and they will get bull rushed because of Knockback.

Edit: Swordsage'd

Big Fau
2011-06-06, 01:15 AM
Knockback applies on the attack, so I can hit someone with my attack that just happens to be a Decisive Strike, and they will get bull rushed because of Knockback.

Edit: Swordsage'd

Does Temple Swordsman make the Greatsword a Monk Special Weapon?

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-06, 01:17 AM
It makes any weapon from that book or from the PHB count as a Special Monk Weapon.

Psyren
2011-06-06, 08:36 AM
If you want something slightly more legitimate, Monks have Pressure Point rules in Dragon Magazine - the same issue with the Mystic Ranger in it, IIRC. That might pass muster with your DM more easily, especially if you've used Mystic Ranger before.