PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Kado

planswalker
2011-06-05, 06:52 PM
If you're not Elrihm or his dm, please respect the privacy of his thread.

"Well, we personally don't have much of anything, but the guild has been having problems with our crude iron getting 'delayed' before it enters the city and part of the load going missing. It would be great if someone figured out who was doing that and got them to quit."

btw, yes, I could look it up on your character sheet, but it would be convenient for me if you'd post your race/class/gender in the second post in spoilers in addition to your response. It'll make it easier to keep track of you.

Elrihm
2011-06-05, 07:11 PM
Kado's heart beats just a little faster as he catches the scent of adventure. "This is it! My first adventure!" Kado thinks. He sets his heavy pack on the ground, and the scars on his hairless hands turn white, brightly visible against the tanned skin as Kado grips his bow a little more tightly and says "Well, this sounds like a job I could help with. Hm...it sounds like a simple case of bandits though, why not simply inform the guard, or failing that I know dwarves themselves are hardy fighters, ones not to be trifled with?"

btw, sorry about the short posts so far. it takes me a little to get into the character. I'm going back and redoing my intro post.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 09:30 PM
at this point, just post the description in your thread.

"Uh, I am not a fighter. I really do not appreciate your stereotypes. If you want to know more about the job, go talk to the head of the Craftsman's guild."

Elrihm
2011-06-05, 09:41 PM
Kado blushes at the reprimand, a little bit of the country face he had been wearing slides away, and says"Well, I think I've managed to put my foot fairly firmly in my mouth today. Can I get something to show the guild to prove who sent me, and some directions there? Also, can we work out a deal about me working my enchantments for you? I think that it's a deal that could be mutually beneficial, despite my rather awkward first encounters in this city. After today I see I have a lot to learn about the city, and interacting with people..."

planswalker
2011-06-05, 09:50 PM
"Just say the three D's sent you. As for the goods, tell you what, leave your prejudices to yourself, and we'll tell our customers that we can now enchant it for them as well. Do you charge market price?"

Elrihm
2011-06-05, 10:03 PM
"Yep, market price works for me, I'm not greedy. Maybe we can go over to the Sad Flint sometime and have a drink, my treat. I look forward to working with you, and maybe I can do something about that iron supply before too long. I'll check back in every so often after I finish this job. " Kado responds, thinking it best to simply leave at that. The city was so different than the small town that he came from, with so many more people, and people of all types! The country face had gained him little other than the scorn of several people now, so it might be best to simply watch, learn and do his best to keep his mouth shut.

With that, Kado heads back out to the early afternoon sun after grabbing his pack, squinting in the brightness of the light. As he heads back out, Kado looks up and down the street of hardworking people, thinking that he might do well here. After adjusting his bag again, the inventor moves toward the guildhall, in hopes of finding adventure.

Elrihm
2011-06-05, 10:11 PM
To aid his search, Kado cast a quick Skill Enhancement (gather information)

[roll0]

planswalker
2011-06-05, 10:14 PM
"It takes us two weeks to craft masterwork armor normally. Check in once a week and we'll tell you what we have to do."

well, it's about 2 in the afternoon

It takes you d4 hours to find the place.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 10:16 PM
[roll0]

fillerr............

Elrihm
2011-06-05, 10:33 PM
It takes some time to find the place, and just as Kado begins to consider giving up, he finds it, the Craftsman guild hall. He looks around, examining the building, taking it in.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 10:52 PM
It is a two-story wooden building with a sign in the front declaring it "Smithmasters' Hall".

Elrihm
2011-06-05, 11:02 PM
Kado raises his singed eyebrows at the unassuming building, but shrugs, and walks up to the door. Once inside, he looks around for someone to ask where the grandmaster is.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 11:08 PM
There are a collection of humans, gnomes, dwarves, and elves in the hall. You even notice a lone kobold in there.

Elrihm
2011-06-05, 11:19 PM
Kado seems rather intimidated by the crowds there, and so decides to go up to the kobold, "Excuse me, sire? Could I get directions to the guild master? The um...the triple D's sent me.". The slip into more formal speech, and the slight hesitation betrays Kado as nervous in the crowded space.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 11:21 PM
"Upstairs." he says.

Elrihm
2011-06-05, 11:32 PM
Thanking the kobold, Kado moves through the crowd to get to the stairs, and then moves up, thankful to be away from the crowd downstairs. At the top of the stairs, he once again stops and looks for someone to ask about the guild master.

planswalker
2011-06-05, 11:51 PM
Upstairs is a receiving room with no one in sight, only a pair of doors. one is labeled "red", the other "blue".

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 12:10 AM
Kado stops, confused at the top of the stairs, and stares at the doors, deciding what to do. After a little while it becomes clear that either door is equally preferable, so he moves up to the door labeled "Blue", and knocks at the door.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 12:23 AM
clearly, you are not a Matrix fan.

Behind the blue door is a desk with a secretary behind it. "Need to place an order with the guild?" she asks without looking up.

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 12:28 AM
After the last few encounters I'm trying to leave my preconceptions at the door :smallredface:

Kado looks around the room, before his attention settles on the secretary. "Um, I'm here to see the guild master. The Triple D's sent me about a job."

planswalker
2011-06-06, 01:09 AM
"Red door. I've told those jokers that proper labels would help guild business."

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 01:54 AM
Kado flashes a smile at the secretary, and closes the door. Shaking his head, Kado walks over to the red door, and knocks.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:06 AM
He gets no response.

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 09:49 AM
Kado cautiously opens the door, and moves inside.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 10:50 AM
Inside, he finds a dwarf snoozing behind a desk, his beard long and white and his clothes of quality leather.

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 12:00 PM
Kado grins, and knocks quite hard, in an attempt to wake the dwarf.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 01:57 PM
He startles awake.

"What in all the hells in all the worlds is so important that you have to wake an old man with such racket?" he asks irritably.

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 02:05 PM
"My apologies, sire, but I'm here about a job. The Triple D's sent me here so that I could find a way to help.", Kado replies, bowing low, which causes the pack to jingle on his back. Still unsure of how the city works, Kado is trying out different faces to wear, and hopefully this formal one will work better than the country bumpkin.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:24 PM
"Help? Help with what?"

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 02:26 PM
"They said something about your iron shipments being interfered with.", Kado replies.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 02:49 PM
"Ah. That. What do you think you can do to help?"

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 03:59 PM
"Well, I'm fairly good with my bow, so if the problem happens to be bandits, I think I could take out a small group. If there is a larger group of bandits, or if the problem is of a ethereal nature, I have spells and craftings that I could do that might level the playing field. Looking at it from another angle, if it happens to be someone within the group double dealing, stealing from you and all the craftsmen, you could hire me on as a new hand, and I find the person from the inside." Kado lists off, counting on his hand, "Actually, if you'd hire me on as a hand to help ship the goods anyway, it would be the best way to figure out what's going on.".

planswalker
2011-06-06, 04:08 PM
"Thank you for telling me how to do my job. Simply saying that you're apparently a master yeoman, artificer, and detective all rolled into one would suffice. Please tell me, can you be subtle?"

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 04:19 PM
"Subtlety was never my strong suit, I generally will say what I mean. But as per what I said, I was merely answering your question as to what I thought I could do; I am by no means a master at anything, but I wanted to give an accurate representation of my abilities, so that you could make the best decision possible, hence my suggestion. You are the master here, and I merely the strange visitor to your city, I would never think to tell those above my station how to do their jobs., " Kado replies, trying desperately to be diplomatic.

"What is with the people in this town that makes them so grouchy? Must be something in the water..." Kado thinks.

"Either way, there is a job that needs doing, and I am offering to do it, if you would have me.", Kado states, finding a backbone that wont bend anymore to the overwhelming negativity of the city.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 04:47 PM
"Very well. Not the most polite bugger in the world, but neither am I. You're hired. We have a shipment of iron due in three days. Make sure it gets here whole and I'll pay you 300 gold. Figure out the problem and eliminate it, and I'll see about letting you name your own price, within reason."

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 05:00 PM
"Thank you sir, I'll do my best." Kado replies, and exits the room. Making sure to close the door before, he pumps his fist in the air, a brief gesture of victory, and then goes and opens the blue door again.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 05:01 PM
"How was your talk?"

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 05:20 PM
"Best one today, if you'll believe it. Anyways, do you know where the iron mine is, and directions there? I'm going to help ship some iron down here." Kado replies.

planswalker
2011-06-06, 07:01 PM
"About a week's journey east of here. It's odd that he asked you to go there. We haven't been having trouble with the iron until it enters the city."

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 07:08 PM
"Well, I guess that was supposition on my part; I need to stop that, it's brought me nothing but trouble in the city. Would you happen to know anymore about these disturbances? Any information would help greatly, like where they enter the city, what time they enter, or any other rumors about the problem itself."

planswalker
2011-06-06, 07:54 PM
"They enter the warehouse in the docks just fine, then about three hours into the night, they go missing only to reappear at the end of that time with part of the load missing. We've been able to meet quotas all over town, but someone is using us to ship their ore at our expense, and we want to know who."

Elrihm
2011-06-06, 08:21 PM
"Hmmm, well that's interesting....someone is using you to move their iron. Could I get a look at that warehouse then? I think I might have an idea..."

planswalker
2011-06-06, 08:29 PM
"Sure. Want me to write down the address for you?"

Elrihm
2011-06-07, 08:54 AM
"Yes, please, and thank you. I think I'm going to go down there and have a look around, plan a bit. The shipment was due three days from today, right?"

planswalker
2011-06-07, 03:37 PM
"Indeed. Tell the guards at the warehouse that Tella said it's okay."

Elrihm
2011-06-07, 09:33 PM
"Sure thing, thank you very much, you were really helpful!", and with that, Kado exits the room, and makes his way through the crowded downstairs back out into the open air. Once outside, it is visible that he relaxes, not being accustomed to so many people. His partial eyebrows knit together in thought, and he rubs a hand over his bald head, ending in a scratch at his scraggly beard.

"I wonder...", Kado thinks, and then begins moving in the direction of the warehouse.

planswalker
2011-06-07, 10:22 PM
It's sunset before he reaches the Docks district, and he is told sternly that "We close the gate at night. No one comes in or out. Whatever your business there, it waits until morning."

Elrihm
2011-06-08, 11:27 AM
"So no one is let in after dark at all? Hm, that is sad, I had heard that gold could open a lot of closed doors...", Kado winks at the guards.

Diplomacy
[roll0]

planswalker
2011-06-08, 11:02 PM
"Ten gold in my hand is worth twenty in your purse. Your funeral, though."

Elrihm
2011-06-08, 11:47 PM
"Ah, so it's not really safe then. Well, that is a risk I must take.", Kado takes out 10 gold and puts it into the guards hand. With the warning in mind, he slips his bow off his shoulder and holds it, ready for action.

planswalker
2011-06-08, 11:50 PM
He looks both ways, then lets you in through the guard post. At the top, he lowers a rope ladder. "It's a one-way trip. You'll have to wait until dawn before coming back in the city." He warns.

Elrihm
2011-06-09, 12:28 AM
Kado nods, and then drops down the rope.

planswalker
2011-06-09, 12:49 AM
Kado drops down on the other side of the wall into a blind alley formed by a bend in the city wall and the side of a building.

Elrihm
2011-06-09, 10:49 AM
Looking upward, Kado tries to see what the roof of the building is like, whether it is flat, or angled.

planswalker
2011-06-09, 11:04 AM
as with all other buildings in town, they have angled roofs.

planswalker
2011-06-09, 04:19 PM
As you contemplate the rooftop, your concentration is broken by an elf in the uniform of a city watchman appearing out of the shadows and saying "By Kelemvor's blade" as his short sword is stabbed into your spine. A shock of pain hits you to your core.

fortitude save.

Elrihm
2011-06-09, 04:34 PM
Kado cries out in pain, clutching at the wound.

[roll0]

planswalker
2011-06-09, 05:05 PM
... I'm sorry

The shock to his spine is too great. A spasm of pain, one, two, three breaths, and your last image in this life is that of a dingy alleyway as a member of the city watch kills you.

I'm afraid that that particular pc had death attack dc 13.

would you like to try again? roll up a new character?

I know it's the pits when your character is killed off before he really has a chance to do anything.

Elrihm
2011-06-09, 05:37 PM

Well...that happens. Incredibly, incredibly frustrating though...especially with spending a long time trying to find an adventure and the first person I meet has a death attack. Oh well. Time to roll up a new character.

Elrihm
2011-06-09, 05:41 PM
Hey, do you have any suggestions then? I feel like my character didn't really fit anywhere.

planswalker
2011-06-09, 05:51 PM
well, his biggest problem is that what he wanted was rather unrealistic.

people don't generally hire artificers for their yeomanship skills. Trying to sell one or the other at a time would have been easier.

that, and be careful to avoid thinking that the world revolves around your pc. many things happen in the city that are not custom-tailored to your pc at all.

if your character had say, wished to open his own shop and then moonlighted as a bow for hire to help defray those costs, it would have been easier to find him a job, since the person who needs the archer for hire is not likely to care at all if the archer is also a master craftsman, so long as he's accurate.

the reverse is also true.

edit:

also, try 4d6b3

the forum roller will be much happier with you that way.