PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Owls: The Seagull [PEACH]

Falin
2011-06-05, 07:14 PM
So, I recently watched “Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole” and you know what kept popping into my mind? That one owl is totally a bard and that got me to thinking. If that owl could be a bard what are the other owl’s classes? Which brought me to the conclusion that it might be interesting to run a game where you play as birds. Not necessarily based on the books or movie, and not necessarily with just owls. Just birds, but it would require certain… modifications to the rules. Which is why we’re here, of course.

Right then: design goals
Races: Think of birds, and come up with appropriate racial traits for them. Coming up with birds should be easy, there’s plenty of different kinds of birds out there, but the traits will probably take some thought

Weapons: Come up with weapons for birds, similar to races, but with the opposite challenge. Coming up with the stats for weapons should be pretty simple, but coming up with weapons may be difficult, it depends on how personified one decides to go.

Magic: How is magic handled without hands? When the magician is an animal, can they have a familiar? It could be that there’s little to no actual change here.

Thoughts? Comments? Any suggestions, ideas, or comments are welcome. I’m going to keep mulling the idea over and post what I come up with, until then I welcome any help.

Debihuman
2011-06-05, 08:21 PM
The easiest way to make this is an Awakened Owl Bard. As an NPC it would be interesting but wings can't hold weapons. You could have them wear metal spurs on their talons (like fighting roosters), which would add 1d4 to their damage. I made up the spurs in an earlier thread on Demonic Abyssal Chickens so it would make sense to give this weapon to any bird with talons.

Debby

Falin
2011-06-05, 08:26 PM
No, see, not an npc, stuff for a campagin were it's just birds, and perhaps other animals.

But thank you.

Silverscale
2011-06-06, 06:12 AM
would there be any people at all in the setting or just lots of Awakened Animals? If there are people, then how do they view all these talking creatures? If there are no people, then how are the animals able to make anything but the crudest of weapons and armor since Birds at least would have a difficult time working a Forge and Anvil.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-06, 06:18 AM
No, see, not an npc, stuff for a campagin were it's just birds, and perhaps other animals.

But thank you.

Antigamer did have a Redwall campaign thread running, maybe you should look there for ideas.

Falin
2011-06-06, 08:43 AM
Good point Silver, it depends on how much like human you're making them.
There could be humans, or it could be all animals. Either way, these animals could very well be able to craft complex pieces of equipment. After all for as long as I can remember animals have been doing things that require more manual dexterity, mice have ridden motorcycles, and all forms of furry creature have taken part in pitched battle against ultimate evil, or for ultimate evil, you know. Depending on the setting this takes place in it may not even come up. Honestly, this should be handled on a case by case basis. I’m not really setting out to make a setting, so much as coming up with stuff for birds as characters.

Thanks for the advice Atlantean.

Killer Angel
2011-06-06, 08:54 AM
Be sure to make your owl sufficiently scary and EVIL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APMheQP3pgU). :smallcool:

Falin
2011-06-06, 09:03 AM
I'll keep that in mind.

Eldan
2011-06-06, 09:05 AM
Use Raptorans, reflavour to taste? Sure, you are medium, but making everyone tiny means that no one will ever spot anyone else when they hide.

Falin
2011-06-06, 09:14 AM
Another good point, thanks.

Falin
2011-06-06, 04:45 PM
Alright, I’ve got a preliminary list of birds.

Crow: Like their shinies, not too pretty; favored class: Rouge

Hawk: divergent in size, quick, perhaps the humans of the bird world; favored class: any

Owl: large, great sense, if not too bright; favored class: fighter

Sparrow: Slight of build, pretty, can you say elf?; favored class: Wizard

Sparrowhawk: Not actually a cross between a hawk and a sparrow, but the name is too convienient; favored class: any

Wren: Small with loud, complex songs; favored class: bard

That’s what I’ve got, thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Falin
2011-06-14, 07:28 PM
This took longer than I would have liked. But I lost all my work. But it's done now! tell me what you think.

Crow

Personality: Crows are greedy and underhanded. Constantly scheming and plotting to fulfill an almost pathological need to obtain things that shine and gleam. They usually prefer to keep to themselves only approaching others when they see something they want and then usually not directly.
Physical description: Crows are generally around 4-4 1/2 feet in length with dull black feathers and loud rasping voices.
Relations: Crows, born and bred to lies and larceny, are mistrustful of other races as well as their own compatriots. Few outsiders ever see a crow’s nest and those who seek them out can easily find themself overwhelmed by a mob.
Alignment: Crow are almost always chaotic, and tend toward neutrality though they can easily be either good or evil.
Crow Lands: Crows make their nests in dark pine forests where their dark feathers blend with the gloom. Areas occupied by a murder are almost always full of hiding spots for the various trinkets and treasures Crows hoard.
Religion: Crows revere Kath, trickster god of the Crows. As well as any patron of thievery deception and betrayal.
Language: Crow is a harsh, simple language that is spoken in short bursts of squawks and caws
Names: Crow names are short and usually feature hard consonant sounds
Male names: Tak, Dan, Ryd, Stk, Lak
Female names: Sek, Tan, Med, Stn, det
Adventurers: Despite the crow’s fixation with wealth and possessions they lack fine craftsmen of their own. Most crow adventurers seek objects to add to their hoards

Crow Racial Traits:
-+2 dex -2 cha: Crows are quick and agile, but unattractive.
-Medium: As Medium creatures, crows have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
-Crow base land speed is 20 feet/ round
-Gliding (Ex): A Crow can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent; Crows glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a Crow’s maneuverability improves, they can’t hover while gliding. A Crow can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Crow becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, their wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Crow descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
-Flight (EX): When a crow reaches its 1st Hit Dice it gains the ability to fly at a speed of 30 ft per round (poor) and can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exausted.
Crows can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Crows are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Crows can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).

When they reach 6 Hit Dice, Crows have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Crow with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Crow must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Crow can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Crow with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
-Greed: Crows are exceptionally greedy and are always trying to decide the worth of anything they come across granting a +4 bonus to appraise checks.
-Guile: Crows are constantly lying and being lied to granting a +2 bonus to bluff and sense motive checks.
-+4 racial bonus to hide checks in areas of shadowy illumination, and -4 penelty to hide checks in areas or bright illimination
-Automatic Languages: Crow, common
-Favored Class: Rogue

Kath: The god of crows, Kath is chaotic neutral. Known as the Trickster, the Black One, and the Bandit King. Kath is the lord and creator of all Crows. He rules over the accumulation of wealth, deceit, and all that is hidden. He is associated with riches, chaos, neutrality, and trickery.

Silverscale
2011-06-15, 08:50 AM
Cool! What's next?

Falin
2011-06-15, 11:27 AM
Hawks, oh, it should be noted that these write ups are for games with a mix of flying and ground based encounters if the setting your using only has flying creatures, or at least, your party will only be running into flying combat, just give them full flight at first HD.

DracoDei
2011-06-15, 12:09 PM
Things to consider adding:

Wood-peckers: (SOMEONE has to carve out the more complex architectural structures).

Humming birds: SUGAR RUSH!!! Because what setting DOESN'T need a fragile speedster option? Berzerker tendencies optional.

Seagulls: Between the following you should be able to find something you like:

The Gaurdians of Ga'Hoole BOOKS
Keharr (sp?) from Watership Down (although I am not sure if he WAS a seagull, but if not he may have talked about them?)
Finding Nemo(Also good for pelican inspiration?)
maybe even Johnathon Livingston Seagull (but it might not tell you enough about NORMAL seagulls)

Ostrich/Emu/Rhea: Strength? Yes. Flight? No.

Really, I could go on listing various species, but these are the ones that seem the most interesting to me.

Speaking of the Gaurdians of Ga'Hoole books, they really get into the differences between the species of owls over the course of the series. Note that the author does play fast and loose with biology on some points. Just as an example: I hear that the bats are blind. There are even the equivalents of demons and tieflings in it after a certain point. Check your library?

Falin
2011-06-15, 05:08 PM
I considered humming birds, but I'm not sure why I decided against them. I never thought of wood-peckers, interesting idea. As to seagulls, that had actually just occurred to me as well.

And I'm well aware of the differences between bird species, but I really can't say I have the time to go through all the bird species and write up stat blocks for them all, so for now, I’ll just do some general stuff.

Falin
2011-06-17, 04:43 PM
And here's the noble hawk. I somehow get the feeling I missed something here. Any ideas what? Oh, and expect the "relations" sections to change as I get a better idea what these races are like.

Hawk

http://www.fountainedesign.co.nz/content/images/95/466x245crop/illustration-hawk_sample01.jpg

Personality: Hawks are proud and honorable valuing truth and order above all else. They welcome strangers but are quick to turn on their guests when they discover deceit.
Physical description: Hawks range from 5 to 7 feet in length and have feathers ranging from light silver to dark brow. Sleek and slender Hawks have wickedly curved beaks and
Relations: Hawks tend to be understanding of most races, but crows, who stand opposite Hawks in questions of honor an honesty are given little tolerance.
Alignment: Hawks are almost always lawful and good those who stray towards evil are cast out of hawk society lest they corrupt more to their wicked ways, while those who follow chaos can find themselves ostracized by their peers.
Hawk Lands: Hawks prefer to nest in high rocky areas where they can hunt without obstructions. However it is not uncommon for Hawks to settle outlying forests and valleys in times of prosperity and growth.
Religion: Hawks Worship Vrell On Rathen the hawk god of the sun. As well as any god that upholds the principals of honor, truth, and justice.
Language Hawk is a complex and articulate language that is characterized by trills and sudden jumps in pitch and tone.
Names: Hawk names are intricate and varied, but almost always contain rolling letters*, and a jump ethier up or down**. Hawk names contain three parts, a family name, a given name, and a personal name chosen by the hawk when they reach adulthood which they only share with their most trusted companions.
Male Names: Vr’ell Me˄rek Kethen, Fell˅on Leshken T’ran, Fer’˄ath beknel Neran
Female Names: Dr’en O˅lkan Melfin, Hast˄a R’ekn Frel, Mala Tr’˄ell Lene
Adventurers: Hawk value honor and justice above all else. Adventures are often dedicated to spreading those values to the rest of the world, while other simply didn’t fit into the mold of hawk society.
* marked by a ’
** down ˅ up ˄

Hawk Racial Traits:
-+2 Wis, +2 str, -2 dex: Hawks are strong and aware of their surroundings, but not very agile.
-Medium: As Medium creatures, hawks have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
-Hawk Base Land Speed is 20 feet
-Gliding (Ex): A Hawk can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent; Hawks glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a Hawk’s maneuverability improves, they can’t hover while gliding. A Hawk can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Hawk becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, their wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Hawk descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
-Flight (EX): When a Hawk reaches its 1st Hit Dice it gains the ability to fly at a speed of 40 ft per round (poor) and can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.
Hawks can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Hawks are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Hawks can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).

When they reach 6 Hit Dice, Hawks have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 50 feet (average), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Hawk with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Hawk must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Hawk can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Hawk with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
-Soar (EX): Hawk’s are able to find pockets of rising air to allow themselves to fly for longer periods of time as well as quickly climb during flight. At 4 Hit Dice a Hawk can make a wisdom check (DC 20) as a full round action to find a thermal and ascend. A hawk must fly at least 5 ft in any direction before assending and may then ascend at a rate of up to their flight speed. Their movement for the round cannot exceed their total flight speed.
Hunter’s eye: A Hawk’s eyes are so finely tuned that they can spot a mouse moving through the grass from a mile above granting a +4 bonus on spot checks
Night blindness: A Hawk’s eyes are adjusted perfectly for day vision. A Hawk sees half as far in areas of shadowy illumination
-Automatic Languages: Hawk, Common
-Favored Class: Paladin

Vrell On Rathen

The god of Hawks, Vrell On Rathen is lawful good. Known as the Bright One, Shining Hawk King, the Solar lord, and the Keeper of Justice. Vrell On Rathen rules over the Hawks with a firm and just hand. He rules over justice, honesty, and honor. Vrell On Rathen is associated with law, good, justice, honor, and truth.

Debihuman
2011-06-18, 04:48 PM
Actually, this would be perfect for a template. This sounds like like Talking Beast which I'm sorta taking from Folkloric Gallia but it's open content so it isn't a problem.

First, it would affect only Animals. Change Type to Magical Beast and they would probably gain the Augmented subtype. They would gain human-like intelligence, the ability to talk, and the ability to walk upright.

You can add more to this, but I think it covers the basics. If you want to give the creatures the ability to use weapons, you might want to consider the Anthropomorphi template in Savage Species. However, the Anthropomorphic template gives creatures human-like hands and feet. I wasn't sure that was where you wanted to go.

It also wouldn't change the size of the creature. So owls would keep their Tiny size.

Debby

DracoDei
2011-06-18, 06:25 PM
If what she says is true, what you are looking for might be replicated in homebrew via the Royal Animal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2299700&postcount=1)template. See especially the following paragraph at the end:

WHY INTRODUCE ROYAL ANIMALS?
Many fantasy sources refer to animals that are intelligent beyond the normal ken of such creatures, but simply applying the ‘magical beast’ to any such creature is a terrible misnomer at best. Many of these creatures are no more magical then a standard rock, they’re simply more intelligent.
Take the animals from the Narnia series of books by C.S. Lewis. While these animals are typically larger, braver, and fiercer then standard animals, they rarely possess any actual magical qualities that separate them from the dumb beasts.
The royal animals in this document are more directly based on the royal animals presented in Jane Lindskold’s Through the Wolf’s Eyes novel, and its sequels. The books detail the impact such creatures could have on not only a single campaign, but an actual setting or world.

Falin
2011-06-18, 07:09 PM
A template would probably give me the effects I'm looking for or most of them at least. But it wouldn't really give me the flavor of a race. And the flavor, in my opinion, is just as important as the efffects. It gives players a place to start, tells them if their honerable crow paladin is an outcast and a rebel amoung their own kind illsuted to life amoung their peers, or just a crow, who's clever, and can smite evil.

Now, I could just add that to the template enhanced crow, but if I'm going to do that, I may as well do all the work for several talking animals and tell my players that's what stuff I have for them. Plus I'm almost done with owls.

DracoDei
2011-06-18, 08:13 PM
A template would probably give me the effects I'm looking for or most of them at least. But it wouldn't really give me the flavor of a race. And the flavor, in my opinion, is just as important as the efffects. It gives players a place to start, tells them if their honerable crow paladin is an outcast and a rebel amoung their own kind illsuted to life amoung their peers, or just a crow, who's clever, and can smite evil.

Now, I could just add that to the template enhanced crow, but if I'm going to do that, I may as well do all the work for several talking animals and tell my players that's what stuff I have for them. Plus I'm almost done with owls.

That works too.

Falin
2011-06-18, 11:17 PM
The owl, for your consideration.

Owl

http://scribbles.stephaniesmith.com/__oneclick_uploads/2007/08/if-moon-owl-web.jpg

Personality: Owls are reclusive and secretive preferring to remain separate from other races. The tend to stay deep within their forest homes, only venturing out when food is scares and they need to move farther to feed themselves. Not unfriendly, those who manage to take on the daunting task of gaining an owls trust will find themself with a fiercely loyal friend.
Physical description: Ranging from 6 to 9-1/2 feet in length owls are much wider for their length than other birds their size. Their feathers are usually dark, ranging from dark red to brown, but much lighter colors, even white, aren’t unheard of.
Relations: Owls are shy by nature, and prefer to watch the other races from afar. However, once contact has been made owls are friendly and welcoming, inviting strangers into their homes warmly. Despite this owls are consistently reserved and quiet, preferring to allow other races to carry out their ambitions so long as they are left in peace.
Alignment: Owls are predominantly neutral good.
Owl Lands: Owls live in the depths of hardwood forests. Unlike other races owls don’t construct homes for themselves and instead live in natural hollows in their trees.
Religion: Owls follow Travrux, the owl goddess of the moon as well as any god who rules over nature, wisdom, and silence.
Language: Owl is a language of whispering hoots and the subtle clacking of beak and tallons.
Names: Owl names are blends of the names of all of their ancestors and a name which they are given at birth. Owl names can stretch into long strings of names without any sort of separation between them but in conversation an owl usually uses only their given name.
Male names: Fren, Galin, Foust, Mekil, Sore
Female names: Meke, Ren, Stelle, Fara
Adventurers: Despite their isolationist tendencies some owls are struck by wanderlust and strike forth on their own. More often, however, owl adventures are members of owl society who were called to action by the owl high lords and have yet to find their way back home.

Owl Racial Traits:
-+2 wis, +2 cha, -2 int: Owls are aware and friendly but not particularly bright
-Medium: As a medium creature owls have no special bonus due to size.

Or
-Large (long): -1 attack and AC, +4 special attacks, -4 hide, space 10 ft, normal reach, *2 carrying capacity
-Owl Base Land Speed is 20 ft (30 is large)
-Superior low-light vision (ex): Owls see five times as far as humans in areas of shadowy illumination
-Darkvision (ex): At 3 hit dice owls gain Darkvision out to 60 feet increase this field of vision by 60 feet for ever three hit dice the owl gains.
-Gliding (Ex): A Owl can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent; Owls glide at a speed of 30 feet (average) (or poor if large). Even if a Owl’s maneuverability improves, they can’t hover while gliding. A Owl can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Owl becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, their wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Owl descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
-Flight (EX): When an Owl reaches its 1st Hit Dice it gains the ability to fly at a speed of 40 ft per round (poor) (clumsy if large) and can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.
Owls can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Owls are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Owls can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).

When they reach 7 Hit Dice, Owls have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average) (poor if large), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Owl with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Owl must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Owl can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Owl with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
-Soar (EX): Owl’s are able to find pockets of rising air to allow themselves to fly for longer periods of time as well as quickly climb during flight. At 4 Hit Dice a Owl can make a wisdom check (DC 20) as a full round action to find a thermal and ascend. A Owl must fly at least 5 ft in any direction before assending and may then ascend at a rate of up to their flight speed. Their movement for the round cannot exceed their total flight speed.
-Awareness: Owl’s senses are very acute granting a +4 bonus on spot and listen checks
-+2 move silently: Owls can fly in complete silence.
-Light blindness: Owl’s eyes are perfectly adjusted to night flight in areas of bright illumination their field of vision is halved.
-Automatic Languages: Owl
-Favored Class: Druid

Travrux

Travrux is the goddess of the moon and queen of the owls. She goes by the names the Radiant Lady, Nature’s Mistress, and the Lunar Guardian. She watches over the Owls and all they hold in high regard. She is associated with nature, protection, the moon, and light.

DracoDei
2011-06-18, 11:29 PM
Your fly mechanics look weak... they seem to be based on D&D, but in a game when everyone is a BIRD being able to fly a lot shouldn't be a big deal... I would at least remove the 10 minute per day limit. I know that is 100 rounds but still...

Having to wait for 8th level... well if you call 8th level full adulthood then maybe, but since that is probably not the standard you are using...

Falin
2011-06-18, 11:36 PM
It's true, in a game where everyone is a brid flight is no big deal, and I've noted that actually, in a game where everyone can fly just start with full flight. But the fact is that there allot more monsters that can't fly than those who can, and since it's easier to change to full flight on the fly than it is to change to partial flight I figured I'd start there.

DracoDei
2011-06-18, 11:44 PM
It's true, in a game where everyone is a brid flight is no big deal, and I've noted that actually, in a game where everyone can fly just start with full flight. But the fact is that there allot more monsters that can't fly than those who can, and since it's easier to change to full flight on the fly than it is to change to partial flight I figured I'd start there.
Well, since you are probably going to have to recreate the monster manual from scratch to fit the setting I am not sure that argument applies... especially since you already re-scaled everything so owls count as medium.

Unless you just want to add size categories to everything in the MM... dive-bombing a Large sized goblin is... a bit too weird for me. Breaks the feel of the setting unless you go to great lengths to make it work (in which case it could be, in fact, awesome).

Debihuman
2011-06-19, 08:24 AM

Each race would have its own specific racial traits. You can get as detailed as you like: different birds would have different flight speeds and maneurverability for example.

Personality is something that really should be left to player's choice. You want to give them as much flexibility as possible within the framework not define everything for them. If your players have a hard time with this concept, give them a list of 100 adjectives and tell them to pick 3.

Here's a sample list that I got from the internet:

Negative
1. grumpy
2. impatient
3. stubborn
4. critical
5. judgmental
6. introverted
7. angry
8. restless
9. distracted
10. complicated
11. idealistic
12. dissatisfied
13. anxious
14. nosy
15. insecure
16. doubtful
17. nervous
18. dependent
19. lazy
20. rude
21. awkward
22. naïve
23. proud
24. self-conscious
25. pessimistic
26. incompetent
27. inflexible
28. intolerant
29. cowardly
30. stupid
31. bitchy
32. vulgar
33. lethargic
34. hostile
35. selfish
36. unhappy
37. cynical
38. needy
39. irrational
40. childish
41. passive
42. unresponsive
43. overdramatic
44. predictable
45. calculating
46. indecisive
47. anal
48. fussy
49. quixotic
50. irritating

Positive
1. nice
2. sweet
3. kind
4. talkative
5. determined
6. passionate
7. helpful
8. understanding
9. sympathetic
10. smart
11. friendly
12. diplomatic
13. sentimental
14. organised
15. dependable
16. tolerant
17. modest
18. romantic
19. reflective
20. confident
21. knowledgeable
22. trustworthy
23. polite
24. cheerful
25. observant
26. logical
27. sensible
28. engaging
29. cute
30. aware
31. dedicated
32. loving
33. reciprocating
34. meticulous
35. naughty
36. patient
37. loyal
38. fashionable
39. encouraging
40. simple
41. compassionate
42. forgiving
43. admiring
44. cheeky
45. grateful
46. silly
47. faithful
48. caring
49. considerate
50. apologetic

Debby

DracoDei
2011-06-19, 11:38 AM
Individual personality is not the same as racial tendencies, and I think the OP implicitly understood this. He was saying that if a player was playing a paladin of a given race that he should understand how being LG would affect how other members of his species would tend to view him.

Falin
2011-06-19, 02:16 PM
Well, that's more replies than I've gotten in a single stretch.

In order, you really wouldn't. The birds are scaled up to medium but you wouldn't have to change the sizes of any other creatures to match. There are actually a couple advantages to changing the sizes of the birds. First, you have to remember less numbers as a medium sized creature. And second by using the standard size you avoid having to face certain unfortunate truths about encounters for the smaller set. Insofar as they can't really participate in open combat with any sort of effectiveness, there’s a reason an owl is CR ¼. Now in a game where everyone and everything is also really small, there’s no problem. But you really would have to rewrite the Monster Manual to do that, that, or require your players to adopt a certain paly style that that comes at things like combat slantways. But that’s really fairly restrictive, especially if your players aren’t familiar with the rules, or if they just don’t like playing that way.

And yes, the personality entries provide a baseline for the race for the players, and GM, to use to gauge how NPCs of that race would probably react to character or race X or outlook Y.

Debihuman
2011-06-19, 02:17 PM
I like the Royal Animal Template but it really should change Animal Type to Magical Beast Type with Augmented Animal as its Subtype. The Animal Type is limited to an Int 1 or 2 and the Royal Animal Template fails to take that into account. I don't mind bending the rules when necessary but this isn't necessary.

Racial traits for animals can be taken from the Western collective of nursery rhymes, Aesop's Fables and old wives' tales for this sort of thing.

Wikipedia has a collection of that sort of thing under Stereotypes of Animals. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_animals. This is how you get the sly fox, the ominous crow, the wise owl, etc.

Individual races can have their own bonuses and penalties in addition to the ones given through the template. How many animals do you want to create this for? Owls could get a +2 bonus to Wisdom, Foxes could have a +2 bonus to Intelligence, Bears could have a -2 penalty to Wisdom but a +2 bonus to Strength. Crows can cast augury once a week as a spell-like ability.

In the animal kingdom there are predator, prey and parasite relationships and most creatures will fall into one of those categories. There isn't a lot of cooperation in the wild. On the other hand, you see a lot of competition. Do you want your world to mimic this or be in opposition to this?

Debby

Falin
2011-06-19, 02:48 PM
To racial traits, I'm taking my own conceptions of animals, and actual traits of animals, for bonuses. And, so far, I'm only planning to do seven the Crow, Hawk, Owl, Seagull, Sparrow, Sparrowhawk, and Wren. Though I have been kicking around doing all the animals in the world and putting them together in one place, you know, so I can drive myself insane. Fun.

As to relations. You could go with the natural default of competition, but you don't really need to. If the animals we're talking about are sentient there’s really no reason they should only be concerned with survival, and therefore, cutting out any possible competition. But I’m not setting out to make an entire setting, though I could with the amount of source material out there. Honestly you should do with this stuff whatever the setting at hand requires.

Blynkibrax
2011-06-19, 04:05 PM
Ducks: Fast-flying, witty, clever and able to swim, but cowardly and unskilled in combat.

DracoDei
2011-06-20, 07:58 AM
Ducks aren't particularly fast. They have the Endurance Feat or something, and bonuses for flying in formation (which other races should be able to take as feats).

Blynkibrax
2011-06-20, 01:48 PM
I was under the impression that ducks are the fastest of all flying birds - peregrine falcons and such not counting, since technically, they fly to a great height and drop, so any speed they may have is gravitational momentum.

Not so much flying as 'falling... With style!' :smallwink:

Falin
2011-06-20, 01:53 PM
No, they're not, who told you that?

Falin
2011-06-21, 08:24 PM
Seagulls are done! Yay! As always I want to here what you think.

Seagull

Personality: Seagulls are whimsical and vulgar. They are always eager to share the tails of their travels especially the ones that embarrass their peers most. Cheerful and kind they wither when restrictions are placed upon them and flourish when they are free to go and do whatever catches their fancy. Raised in an environment where secrets, lies, and personal property are virtually nonexistent they sometimes have a tendency to say whatever comes to mind and take things they think are interesting. Names are of upmost importance to seagulls and a seagull with a particularly prestigious name will often go out of their way to find opportunities to share it.
Physical description: Seagulls are 4 to 5-1/2 feet in length and have white bodies and grey wings which have black tips.
Relations: Seagulls travel all over the world drifting from place to place. Most people have known a seagull at one time or another and most agree that they are and agreeable sort, if a bit loud and nosy. Seagulls see them as too free with their words and actions and crows find their curiosity and open ness both annoying and suspicious.
Alignment: Seagulls are almost always chaotic good, the few who are lawful find it hard to function in seagull tribes.
Seagull Lands: Seagulls are seafaring nomads with no land of their own. Seagulls never stay in one place long and rarely stay in constructed buildings, even more rarely building their own.
Religion: Seagulls worship Godhand Cloudgatherer the patron deity of Seagulls. As well as any god of weather, freedom, or truth.
Language: Seagull is a raucous and chaotic language that evolved from exposure to every language each generation of seagulls has come across. If one listens closely enough they will often hear snipits of their own language among the jumble of seagull speech. However, despite being mainly made of words with written forms, the language lacks one of its own.
Names: Names are status symbols among Seagull society. As a Seagull achieves greatness the clan grants them a new component to their name which represents the achievement. The greatest Seagulls, then, can have hundreds of names strung together in the order of their achievements, while the lowliest can have no name at all.
Adventurers: Crows put great stock in names, which must be earned through achievements. Most seagull adventurers travel the land in search of opportunities to perform great deed in order to earn more names to add to their own.

Seagull Racial Traits:
+2 Dex, -2 cha: Seagulls are quick but their constant chatter makes them hard to get along with at times
Medium: As medium creatures seagulls gain no bonuses due to size
Seagull Base Land speed is 20 ft
(racial immunities/vision enhancements/bonuses/proficiencies/powers)
-Gliding (Ex): A Seagull can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent; Seagulls glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a Seagull’s maneuverability improves, they can’t hover while gliding. A Seagull can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Seagull becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, their wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Seagull descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
-Flight (EX): When a Seagull reaches its 1st Hit Dice it gains the ability to fly at a speed of 50 ft per round (poor) and can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.
Seagulls can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to 4 times their Constitution modifier (minimum 4 rounds). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Seagulls are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 40 minutes per day flying. Because Seagulls can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).

When they reach 7 Hit Dice, Seagulls have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 50 feet (average), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Seagull with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Seagull must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Seagull can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Seagull with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
-Soar (EX): Seagull’s are able to find pockets of rising air to allow themselves to fly for longer periods of time as well as quickly climb during flight. At 5 Hit Dice a Seagull can make a wisdom check (DC 20) as a full round action to find a thermal and ascend. A seagull must fly at least 5 ft in any direction before ascending and may then ascend at a rate of up to their flight speed. Their movement for the round cannot exceed their total flight speed.
+2 racial bonus to one craft skill (except carpentry): Despite not building things seagull craftsmen learn their skills from the masters they come across in their travels.
Automatic Languages: Seagull, Common
Favored Class: Barbarian

Godhand Cloudgatherer

Lord over all Seagulls Godhand Cloudgatherer is chaotic good. Known as He With Ten-thousand Names, he lords over freedom, the weather (especially winds), and travel. He is associated with good, chaos, freedom, weather, travel, and truth.

Falin
2011-10-16, 05:59 PM
*ahem* I recently found myself on something of a Hiatus. That is to say, I got busy, and never came back to this. Sorry to this thread. But I have some more time now and I intend to finish what I set out on expect the (checks list) sparrow. Perhaps I'll come up with some bird traits to make the whole process smoother. Who knows, this project seems to have something of a mind of it's own.

Oh, also considering expanding the scope of this project. Tell me what you think.

DracoDei
2011-10-23, 04:15 PM
Oh, also considering expanding the scope of this project. Tell me what you think.
It might help people to respond to this if you said which directions you were thinking of expanding in.

Falin
2012-04-04, 05:06 AM
After an entirely too long break from the sight here's the Sparrow!

Sparrow

Personality: Sparrows are free spirited and gentle creatures who enjoy flying and singing more than anything else, though they can be serious and harsh when they really need to be. They are given to being easily distracted, especially by things that are new or excite them. Sparrows are quick to trust but react violently to betrayal, often never forgiving someone who betrays or takes advantage of their trusting nature.
Physical description: Sparrows are small only ranging from 2 to 2 ½ feet in length with feathers that range any number of bright colors.
Relations: Sparrows get along with most anyone welcoming strangers into their homes without hesitation, though this can cause them trouble.
Alignment: Sparrows are almost always Chaotic Good and an evil Sparrow is unheard of.
Sparrow Lands: Sparrows live mostly in temperate climates where there’s plenty of food on hand.
Religion: Sparrows follow An goddess of the wind, who reigns over freedom, travel, and good.
Language: Sparrow is a gentle lyrical language that is sung more than spoken.
Names: Se, Rōn, Fan, El, Tre
Adventurers: Sparrow adventurers are almost always seeking to broaden their horizons and see new things.

Sparrow Racial Traits:
-2 Str +2 Dex +2 Cha Sparrows are small but quick and beautiful
Small size +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
A Sparrow’s base land speed is 20 feet.
-Gliding (Ex): A Sparrow can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent; Sparrows glide at a speed of 40 feet (average). Even if a Sparrow’s maneuverability improves, they can’t hover while gliding. A Sparrow can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Sparrow becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, their wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Sparrow descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
-Flight (EX): When a Sparrow reaches its 1st Hit Dice it gains the ability to fly at a speed of 30 ft per round (good) and can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.
Sparrows can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to times their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Sparrows are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 40 minutes per day flying. Because Sparrows can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).

When they reach 6 Hit Dice, Seagulls have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 30 feet (good), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Seagull with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Seagull must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Seagull can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Seagull with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
+2 racial bonus to diplomacy: Sparrows are personable and attractive
Automatic Languages: Sparrow, Common
Favored Class: Bard or Wizard

An:
An, is Chaotic Good. The loving mother of all sparrows she watches over her children from the clouds bringing fair winds to all who follow her. She is associated with Chaos, good, love, and song.

As to expanding the scope of this project. To begin with, some ground based animals, maybe snakes and wolves, and more different types of birds. In the long run perhaps starting a taxonomy talking animals.