PDA

View Full Version : Chill Touch Confusion (3.5, then some pathfinder)

Kantolin
2011-06-05, 07:21 PM
I apparantly have been reading Chill Touch wrong this whole time, so I'm looking for some... clarification.

So as written, a level 10 wizard would be able to make ten touch attacks against someone? Could he really, that round, cast the spell and touch the same person ten times?

I mean, that itself might not be too bad (As that's just 10d6 at level 10), but you could mix that with being a rogue or something and sneak attack on each touch, or sommat. Am I misreading something? I sure assume so, but I can't find more information about it.

A slightly related question is about the new Magus class, which can make a normal attack instead of a touch attack. Could a level 10 magus really do 10d6 + 10d[weapon] damage, or am I again missing something?

Gray Mage
2011-06-05, 07:32 PM
I don't know about the magus, but the sneak attack applies only to the first attack.

In case you'd like to know, the source of information is from Complete Arcane.

tyckspoon
2011-06-05, 07:38 PM
You're still limited to your normal number of BAB iteratives, and during the casting of the spell itself you can only make a single touch (because you are using the 'cast a spell' option and not the 'Full Attack' action, which is generally required to make multiple attacks.) After that the spell remains potent for up to CL touches; basically the Chill Touch becomes a weapon you are wielding that you can use like any other attack option. And yes, if you have Sneak Attack you can get it on those touches; it's one of the cheaper ways to get a touch attack.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-05, 09:30 PM
You're still limited to your normal number of BAB iteratives, and during the casting of the spell itself you can only make a single touch (because you are using the 'cast a spell' option and not the 'Full Attack' action, which is generally required to make multiple attacks.) After that the spell remains potent for up to CL touches; basically the Chill Touch becomes a weapon you are wielding that you can use like any other attack option. And yes, if you have Sneak Attack you can get it on those touches; it's one of the cheaper ways to get a touch attack.
That's how everyone plays it, yes, because that's how it's reasonably obviously intended. However (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#range):

Touch

You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. (Emphasis added)

So exactly as written, Chill Touch is kinda useless. Most people don't play it that way, which is fine & proper, as the way it's played is perfectly fine, and how it's reasonably obviously intended.