PDA

View Full Version : Resistance in the Playground: let's talk Bliss Stage

Bliss Authority
2011-06-06, 12:48 AM
The Resistance In The Playground
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr82/BlissAuthority/resistanceofthestick.png

Hello all! I'd like to talk to you about Bliss Stage, one of my absolute favorite tabletop games.

It's a game where you play teenage survivors of an alien occupying force that took out damn near all the adults of the world, tasked with fighting back against them. Conventional weapons don't work against them: rather, you need to use ANIMa, sometimes affectionately referred to by players as 'emobots:' they're giant robots made entirely out of intimacy and trust.

Yeah, you're using weaponized love, which is a great plan, really; I can't see how teenagers using naked, raw pubescent emotion can POSSIBLY be a bad idea. It's a double edged sword. (No, really, that relationship to your Best Rival just manifested as a double-edged sword).

Full disclosure: I'm posting this because a fanproject of mine just got Kickstarted, but rather than advertise it here i'mma gonna just keep this on topic and discuss the tabletop game, which is awesome.

What kind of stuff have you done with this game? Anyone interested in running it here?

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-06, 03:49 PM
Bliss Stage has a special place in my heart for a couple of reasons. The first is that it is the first "Indie RPG" I ever played and the second is that it is the only one which has a Mechanic that turns Munchkins into Roleplayers. Astounding! :smallbiggrin:

Personally, I've been tinkering with the core mechanics myself pretty much since I picked up the game.
To start with, the edition I have is pretty sloppy around the edges: Mission Design (and running missions well) simply aren't well described in the book and a lot of the issues revolving around World Building (i.e. what is canon and what is malleable) are hidden in block text. In regard to Missions specifically, the effects of failing Pilot Safety aren't really clear: when does the Pilot get access to his Anchor back? I've been using a "Nightmare Challenge" to regain contact with your Anchor, but I think my next game will just have the Pilot lose access to the Anchor for the remainder of the Mission.

Additionally, I've always wanted Trust Breaking to be a better mechanic. Currently there is little incentive for a Player to decide to Break Trust. A friend of mine runs games in which non-Pilots can form Relationships between each other and her Players are constantly breaking and reforging these Relationships for extra scenes. IMHO, this is a sketchy interpretation of the rules, but even if it weren't it's against the spirit of the rules. I don't have a good mechanic in mind yet, but it's on my "to do" list.
My major project was the refluffing of the entire system for a Fantasy Setting. This was inspired after despairing that so many of my friends were turned off from the system because of it's "animesque" traits. I thought if I could recast it as a Fantasy Game they'd be more likely to try it out. I even came up with a nice name for it: Chrysalis.

I ran one game of it before deciding to abandon it. What I learned was that if you're going to put a game in a particular setting, the rules should reflect the themes of the setting. Transplanting Bliss Stage into a Fantasy setting did nothing for the game; the world felt hollow as a result, despite what - IMHO - was an excellent refluff. I resolved that, if I were going to adapt Bliss Stage to another setting (e.g. IN SPAAACE) then I would figure out novel mechanics to better fit the new setting.

So yeah, it's awesome. I'd never run one PbP though - so much of the game requires real-time communication and reaction between Players that the delay between posts would be intolerable.

EDIT: OP, you're going to want to reign-in that image to avoid serious Screen Stretch.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-06, 03:53 PM
Beautiful. I heard about Bliss Stage on some Magical Girl thread just a few days ago, and fell in love with the system almost immediately. The concept of manifesting a concept like a relationship into a tangible form (and a core mechanic, no less!) is simply irresistible to me. It has been ever since my first encounter with Persona's Social Links, which I do love ever so much.

I've been debating whether or not I should buy it though. Sounds great, yes, but... I really don't know much about it. When I think about it, the manifestations and roleplaying aspects are the only lures I have for it... I'm certainly not attracted by the artwork, after all, much less the fanbase.

Anyway, if I do buy it, I'll start a game in my college. First steps of the revolution on my front.

...Incidentally, I'm going to an art school. One of my prime objectives between now and the moment I start playing is to make better artwork for this game... Seriously, it ticks me off to see these paper scanned things floating around for something as beautiful as Bliss Stage. Let's at least make these realistic, at least... I mean, really, I know fourteen year olds who could vastly improve the artwork currently associated with this game.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-06, 04:00 PM
B-But, ah.. I mean, I... Ah... Bwuh!? I made a Bliss Stage thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201843) here like a day ago! 82 views and nobody said anything! Just.. Uh... GAH! Dammit!
Ah, but you placed it in The Forum That I Don't Read because it is too broad yet not on the main page :smallwink:

And so far, we're the only ones who have replied. Well, the Mods will probably merge the two at some point :smallbiggrin:

HappyBlanket
2011-06-06, 04:11 PM
Ah, but you placed it in The Forum That I Don't Read because it is too broad yet not on the main page :smallwink:

And so far, we're the only ones who have replied. Well, the Mods will probably merge the two at some point :smallbiggrin:

My god, I know. I was going to post it in these forums, since posting anything that isn't Exalted in that misnamed section is a death sentence... But I wimped out, unfortunately. Really, specific systems that aren't d&d shouldn't be lumped together in one section. They've already got niche audiences, no sense making them even more inaccessible.

...Mods. Please. If you throw this thread into the "misc" forum, you will kill it. I don't want to die.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-06, 04:31 PM
I've been debating whether or not I should buy it though. Sounds great, yes, but... I really don't know much about it. When I think about it, the manifestations and roleplaying aspects are the only lures I have for it... I'm certainly not attracted by the artwork, after all, much less the fanbase.
What have you heard about the fanbase? :smallconfused:

I was introduced to the game via a friend-of-a-friend, so I never connected with this "fanbase." Admittedly, I'm a fan of anime in general, and NGE in particular, so perhaps I am that kind of "fan" you were talking about.

Anyhoo, I'd recommend picking up a copy. The system is sufficiently novel to make it worth owning for that alone.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-06, 04:48 PM
Oh! Believe me, I certainly have no problem with anime. I've watched through Evangelion nearly thrice now, nevermind the rest of the anime I watch with religious admiration.

Anyway, I suppose I'll buy it. I don't think I'll have any problems getting a game set up. I also heard that it'd be difficult to play on PbP though... Maybe skype? Or something else chat based?

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-06, 04:50 PM
Anyway, I suppose I'll buy it. I don't think I'll have any problems getting a game set up. I also heard that it'd be difficult to play on PbP though... Maybe skype? Or something else chat based?
Skype or IRC would probably be fine if you must do it online.

Me, I only play in person. Fortunately, the rules are simple enough that you can basically get anyone in to play the game. All you need is to pitch the idea well.

HappyBlanket
2011-06-06, 05:10 PM
...Any particular hints on pitching? :smallbiggrin:

Loki_42
2011-06-06, 05:45 PM
I've been interested in this game ever since I heard of it about four months ago. I'm planning on getting it in a couple of weeks when I have some spare cash.
Edit: Also, you should probably spoiler that image, it's really stretching my screen.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-06, 06:29 PM
...Any particular hints on pitching? :smallbiggrin:
Most of it has to do with finding the right people.
Type I - find people who either like "storyteller" games (e.g. World of Darkness) or are prolific fanfic writers
These sorts of people enjoy building characters and making up stories about them. The relationship mechanics of Bliss Stage will be addictive.

Type II - find any anime fans you know, focusing on mecha & shoujo fans
Anime fans will be instantly attracted by the aesthetic of the game. Mecha fans will be there for the ability to do awesome stuff (Super Robot) or to angst about being mecha pilots in wartime (Real Robot). Shoujo fans will love the focus on relationship-building and Drama.

NGE fans will be shoo-ins. Just say "it's NGE the Roleplaying Game" and they'll be hooked :smallbiggrin:
After you pick good people, tailor each pitch to their particular interests. Whatever you do, don't go in deep on the mechanics. Just say "I'll explain the rules at the first session. Don't worry, they're really simple." In addition to being true, this is the best way to get people to play RPGs in general: do everything together and be on-hand to answer their questions.

Bliss Authority
2011-06-06, 09:55 PM
[In regard to Missions specifically, the effects of failing Pilot Safety aren't really clear: when does the Pilot get access to his Anchor back? I've been using a "Nightmare Challenge" to regain contact with your Anchor, but I think my next game will just have the Pilot lose access to the Anchor for the remainder of the Mission.]

Ben's intent was that the 'disrupted communications' lasted until you succeeded at your next Nightmare check, or rather until the next Nightmare check you didn't botch.

Additionally, I've always wanted Trust Breaking to be a better mechanic. Currently there is little incentive for a Player to decide to Break Trust.

In Bliss Stage as written, it is literally the only way that you can get two non-pilot characters to have an Interlude: the betrayed character immediately gets a free interlude. This can be VERY powerful, especially if one of them gets Anchor or Pilot training later.

So yeah, it's awesome. I'd never run one PbP though - so much of the game requires real-time communication and reaction between Players that the delay between posts would be intolerable.

No, never. I've had excellent results with play by chat, but play by post doesn't work for it.

Also, a mod warned me about that border-breaker: oops. Did not mean to do that, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Bliss Authority
2011-06-06, 10:05 PM

Seriously, it ticks me off to see these paper scanned things floating around for something as beautiful as Bliss Stage. Let's at least make these realistic, at least... I mean, really, I know fourteen year olds who could vastly improve the artwork currently associated with this game.

Fanbase? I'm not sure what you're talking about. I wish this game had a fanbase, frankly.

As for the art, I'm working on it. Trust me.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-06-07, 09:39 AM
Ben's intent was that the 'disrupted communications' lasted until you succeeded at your next Nightmare check, or rather until the next Nightmare check you didn't botch.
So for exactly one Challenge. That makes it much less scary than Failing a Success or Relationship. Potentially gaining two points of Trauma is bad, but once you have one point of Trauma it's much less threatening.

Ideally, all three "categories" should be equally bad to fail, so that deciding which one to fail or not

In Bliss Stage as written, it is literally the only way that you can get two non-pilot characters to have an Interlude: the betrayed character immediately gets a free interlude. This can be VERY powerful, especially if one of them gets Anchor or Pilot training later.
So the idea for Trust Breaking is to potentially produce new Pilots or Anchors? Aside from character development (which can be done with Pilots) why is it important to have these scenes?

There still isn't much incentive for the Players to choose this option mechanically and how often do you really get new Pilots or Anchors in a game? +Pilots only happen when you add new Players to a game and +Anchors kind of makes maintaining your actual Anchor relationship less important. I dunno - it still doesn't seem to work right within the given mechanical framework.

Tengu_temp
2011-06-09, 08:42 AM
I played a Bliss Stage PbP game with several friend for a while. And all I have to say is... This game doesn't work for PbP. With its focus on short scenes where everyone adds something on their own, this really has to be played in real time. Also, a strong shared vision of the setting is needed - we all agreed that the aliens should be creepy, but one of the players had a really different idea on what "creepy" means, and it resulted in noticable dissonance.

Overall, though, this game is good. The concept is interesting, the mechanics fit it well, and it lets you create a very unique atmosphere. If there's something I'd like to see more of, it's descriptions of the setting, aliens and other such things - I know they're supposed to be crafted by the players, but well-written examples wouldn't hurt.

tensai_oni
2011-06-09, 08:48 AM
I have a mechanical question.

I noticed that when resolving a mission, players always put their highest dice in mission success first and everything else later. That's because the less times you have to resolve the better, as you lose less trust and get less trauma and bliss that way, and moving along the mission or even worse, stalling means you have to roll and resolve even more.

The allocation of success first, everything else later is so obvious that it's used all the time, and because of that it's routine and hard choices when allocating dice barely exist. Is this how the game is supposed to work, or am I missing something?

HappyBlanket
2011-06-09, 10:58 AM
Also, a strong shared vision of the setting is needed - we all agreed that the aliens should be creepy, but one of the players had a really different idea on what "creepy" means, and it resulted in noticable dissonance.
Mind if a curious soul asks what this player's definition of creepy was? :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2011-06-09, 12:30 PM
Mind if a curious soul asks what this player's definition of creepy was? :smalltongue:

More traditional horror-esque human-like creatures that look normal but have some odd and disturbing feeling about them. It can be very effective in a horror story, but doesn't really work for a game where you're supposed to blast them. Everyone else went with aliens that wouldn't look out of place in Silent Hill.

Bliss Authority
2011-06-09, 01:07 PM
I have a mechanical question.

I noticed that when resolving a mission, players always put their highest dice in mission success first and everything else later. That's because the less times you have to resolve the better, as you lose less trust and get less trauma and bliss that way, and moving along the mission or even worse, stalling means you have to roll and resolve even more.

The allocation of success first, everything else later is so obvious that it's used all the time, and because of that it's routine and hard choices when allocating dice barely exist. Is this how the game is supposed to work, or am I missing something?

My advice when they keep doing that is to use their Trauma to threaten relationships - to their lover, their father, their sister, anyone they really don't want to lose. If they keep putting dice into Mission at the expense of everything else, they're going to eat a lot of Trauma. Use it. Even if they still go all mission all the time in the face of that, something is going to give.

In addition, include secondary objectives that they're allowed to fail outright - minor things like 'scan enemy base' - and see if they do. Follow them up with rewards on completion, never punishments. See if they're willing to bug out of those.