PDA

View Full Version : things you'd like to play, but know you can't.

Shinizak
2011-06-06, 01:48 AM
as a player of table top games, you tend to run into settings that you'd love to play in, but know that it just wouldn't transfer to the medium we have. which settings are like that for you?

for me its:

Legend of zelda (great puzzle solving adventure, but can really only be achieved by a solo hero character)

Doctor who (Oh god the chaos)

Lord of the rings (so you're running and you're running, and that seems really neat but it's really gonna kill you so you should run, now my DM PC is gonna make everything better so you can run more)

got any others?

Velaryon
2011-06-06, 04:09 AM
Suikoden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suikoden) - assemble the 108 Stars of Destiny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_Stars_of_Destiny) to create an army and defeat the BBEG, whether they be a corrupt emperor, a crazed rune-wielder bent on destroying the world, or what have you. Having 108 characters that need to be either PCs or somewhat important NPCs, dozens of runes (and the 27 True Runes) that need to be represented... it would be awesome, but I don't think it would translate well at all.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-06, 04:13 AM
Discworld. Wizards are still tier 1, but they're under agreement to never cast spells since that would interfere with lunch time. Witches use bluff, intimidate and diplomacy (And maybe the occasional egg) more then spells. The great warrior, the barbarian Cohen has troll-teeth dentures. Worse of all, the gods are as silly, wacky and crazy as your players.

Totally Guy
2011-06-06, 04:19 AM

There's a system called Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space. I've not read it myself but I've heard good things about it.

Myself I'd like to play in some of the systems I've read and am into. Around here each of us pretty much just runs one system that fits our style.

Edit:

Discworld.

Pretty sure there's an official GURPS Discworld book out there. Again, not read it...

Jjeinn-tae
2011-06-06, 04:22 AM
Dwarf Fortress and Muramasa.

Actually either could work, and I've thought about running both of them... Whether the former would be any fun or not would really need testing, and the latter would lose a lot of what makes it great.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-06, 04:31 AM
Pretty sure there's an official GURPS Discworld book out there. Again, not read it...

I probably should have checked first. I just didn't think this setting was...Usable, given that 99% of people in it are sorta set in their ways.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-06, 04:44 AM
Dungeons and Dragons races meet Porco Rosso in a world of reawakening magic, a world of sky pirates over a Mediterranean analogue in a late 20's, early 30's style diesel/magepunk setting. Dwarves in massive flying boat flying fortresses, elves in sleek and fast fighters, goblinoids deported en masse in airships, with goblins in tiny steam powered parasite aeroplanes.
D'ni and Guilds, and Linking books, oh my. That's right, I want to play Myst: The Role Playing game. There is just something about the concepts from those games and worlds cut me to the quick.

Zejety
2011-06-06, 05:21 AM
Legend of zelda (great puzzle solving adventure, but can really only be achieved by a solo hero character)

There are the 4 swords games... :biggrin:

GoblinArchmage
2011-06-06, 05:41 AM

Thinking of classes for the characters in Zelda might be a problem, but I think that it could work quite well.

I assume Link would have levels from something in ToB, but I don't have that book so I don't know for sure. In Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask he'd probably have levels in Bard, as well.

Ganon is a Wizard, although he probably would have some feats that reduce the chances for Arcane spell failure.

Tingle is...you know what? I don't know if there is a class capable of representing the awesomeness that is Tingle. Then again, maybe he's an Expert, which unfortunately would make him seem a lot less awesome.

Swooper
2011-06-06, 06:44 AM
Pretty sure there's an official GURPS Discworld book out there.
There is, and I own a copy. I haven't used it and barely read it (my group has never even played GURPS), but I remember that there's a rule that says "whenever the odds of something happening are exactly a million to one, it will always happen." :smallbiggrin:

Totally Guy
2011-06-06, 07:09 AM
there's a rule that says "whenever the odds of something happening are exactly a million to one, it will always happen." :smallbiggrin:

I wonder what the odds are of having a situation with precisely a million to one odds. :smalltongue:

Pyrophilios
2011-06-06, 07:23 AM
I'd love to play a game in Jasper Ffordes's Bookworld (Thursday Next series)
Everything would be there, except you would need a GM with a near perfect book knowledge and write everything.

Hm. Play by Post would be an option...

Traab
2011-06-06, 07:44 AM
I wonder what the odds are of having a situation with precisely a million to one odds. :smalltongue:

Well if you leave it open to ANY potential scenario with a million to one odds, you get odds of 147,973 to 1. However, if you stick to combat scenarios where odds are a million to one, you hit a much high 16,762,815 to 1.

That being said, a legend of zelda style game would be badass. Especially if you built the maps off the original game. Trying to traverse the lost woods, finding the hidden passageways covered over by random bushes, swarms of enemies on "screen" at the same time that you have to kill quickly or else you may get swamped, randomly placed merchants you can buy explosives or shields off of. It would take some work, like adding in a group of players with classes, turning all the mobs into reasonable D&D analogs, and trying to house rule enough stuff so the forests dont get burned down by your teams magic candle as they try to find all the secret passage ways. :p

Endarire
2011-06-07, 12:51 AM
Going based on the Discworld books I've read, a million-to-one odds happen 9 times out of 10. And on that 10th time, no dice mate.

Seerow
2011-06-07, 01:23 AM
Thinking of classes for the characters in Zelda might be a problem, but I think that it could work quite well.

I assume Link would have levels from something in ToB, but I don't have that book so I don't know for sure. In Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask he'd probably have levels in Bard, as well.

Ironically enough I was discussing this with my brother the other day, as he was doing a replay of OoT.

We determined Link is somewhere around 10th level, starting as a Fighter 1 or 2, then proceeding in Bard from the moment he picks up an Ocarina. Figure, he has some minor spell casting, but epic music, and the ability to counterspell Ganon's spells at will with a Perform(Blade Tennis) skill (which he throws points into in addition to perform(ocarina) because he can).

And Zelda is clearly a low level Sorceress, who has such spells as Levitate, Knock, Hold Portal, Gust of Wind, and probably a few other demonstrated spells that I'm forgetting offhand. Maybe also a dip in bard since she seems also capable of using the Ocarina.

Err anyway on topic, I got the feeling the OP was referring more to the puzzle solving element of Zelda, with a full table of people, as opposed to actually playing in the Zelda universe with classes made to resemble Zelda characters. Honestly if I was going to run Zelda, I'd do it with a very rules light system, to make the combats go quickly and focus on the puzzles.

As for any setting I'd like to play in tabletop format but know that I can't... really I can't think of any. Unless by that you mean know I can't cause the group doesn't want to do it, in which case this list could go on all day.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-07, 01:34 AM

I thought it was this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM)

Lord of the rings (so you're running and you're running, and that seems really neat but it's really gonna kill you so you should run, now my DM PC is gonna make everything better so you can run more)[/QUOTE]

I think you could. Take this magic item to this volcano, the only place it can be destroyed, and toss it in evading the forces of darkness along the way. It'll be different from the books, but it'll be the same basic idea.

Heliomance
2011-06-07, 01:50 AM
as a player of table top games, you tend to run into settings that you'd love to play in, but know that it just wouldn't transfer to the medium we have. which settings are like that for you?

for me its:

There are several Doctor Who roleplaying games. I've never played any, but I have heard that one of them has the best initiative system ever.

If you want to talk, you go first.
If you want to run away, you go second.
If you want to make a skill check, you go third.
If you want to actually fight, you go last.

*may have got the middle two the wrong way round*

gomanfox
2011-06-07, 02:01 AM
Suikoden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suikoden) - assemble the 108 Stars of Destiny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_Stars_of_Destiny) to create an army and defeat the BBEG, whether they be a corrupt emperor, a crazed rune-wielder bent on destroying the world, or what have you. Having 108 characters that need to be either PCs or somewhat important NPCs, dozens of runes (and the 27 True Runes) that need to be represented... it would be awesome, but I don't think it would translate well at all.

In the D&D game I'm in currently, the DM has the campaign revolving around the idea that there's this vague prophecy that involves gathering 13 chosen people together for some event to happen. 7 of the 13 are the PCs, while the other 6 are NPCs that we need to find and basically collect. We eventually got a base of operations where we would be able to keep the NPCs we've found, while looking for the others. I once joked with the DM that we'd end up hearing a version of the prophecy that involved gathering 108 people instead of just 13. :P

I would absolutely love to see a Suikoden-based roleplaying game, especially an official one. The thing I love about the Suikoden series is how each game reveals more about the game world, since each game focuses on a specific region in some point in the world's history, rather than including the entire world. And each game focuses on a different True Rune (have they even named all of them yet?). It would definitely be interesting to play in a game like that, although it would probably have to involve some sort of character-swapping system to make collecting all the Stars of Destiny more significant, even if the swapping was just NPCs that would accompany the PCs' standard group.

KingofMadCows
2011-06-07, 02:37 AM
Legacy of Kain

Command and Conquer

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-07, 02:44 AM
Here's another idea, since someone seems to have done my first one. And if this one is done, then I'll eat my hat.

Ever picked up a bizarre bargain bin game? One that made no sense? Me and my friends did once, and it was called Evergrace. Within the first few hours, we had:

1) Equipped a pot and pan for weapons, and these were our best choices
2) Got yelled at by an angry puppet (Graphics were bad, admittedly)
3) Accessed a shop run by an anthropomorphic anteater. And we got to this shop via giant glowing crystals. And you shopped with EXP, so apparently the dude was spying on you and taking a tally of the monsters you'd killed
4) Kinda accidentally made someone commit suicide by trying to say hello to them
5) Graverob
6) Equipped a nest, including the baby birds. And then changed what colors they were.
7) Leveled up with fruit

Needless to say, this game was weird. I am sure others have played games similar to this. So why not make Crazy Moon Logic: The Game. You take a penalty every time you try to do something logical, and gain bonuses the more screwed up your actions are with the items at hand.

bansidhe
2011-06-07, 05:15 AM
Id love too play Mary gentles Ash,using Ars Magica...sigh.

but theres no Ars Magica games around here and no-one I know except me wants too read a book that big![I know,I should get out more!]

Why hasnt anyone written up a sourcebook for Ash anyway?...what a rich setting!.Id buy it in a split second!

Necro_EX
2011-06-07, 05:50 AM
Legend of Zelda?

There's a /tg/ project working on that right now.

Also, isn't Middlearth the assumed setting for Burning Wheel?

A setting I'd love to play/run would have to be Disgaea. I know the system for such a thing would be like doing taxes, but I'd love every second of it.

dsmiles
2011-06-07, 07:36 AM
Things I'd like to play but know I can't:

DnD, any edition. Really, can someone else DM for a change? :smallannoyed:

Necro_EX
2011-06-07, 07:45 AM
Things I'd like to play but know I can't:

DnD, any edition. Really, can someone else DM for a change? :smallannoyed:

I know that feeling, mate.
I'm lucky enough to know a guy that's great at DMing, but he won't be back here 'til Autumn.

Occasional Sage
2011-06-07, 08:50 AM
Lord of the rings (so you're running and you're running, and that seems really neat but it's really gonna kill you so you should run, now my DM PC is gonna make everything better so you can run more)

Trail of Cthulhu will give you that feeling, though in a totally different setting.

Also, not everything needs to or should be modeled by D&D.

Grendus
2011-06-07, 11:05 AM
Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress would actually be an awesome dungeon crawl. You start at the front of the fortress, battling your way in through the armies of goblins (or, if it's Boatmurdered, bloodthirsty elephants). As you work your way deeper into the fortress, you come across a chasm/bottomless pit, battling your way down through the mining scaffolds the dwarves were using to harvest visible veins of metal until you reach the underground caverns, where you battle perverted animal men through a series of lightless, water strewn caves. You finally break into the underground fortress, where hoards of undead stream out in an almost neverending tide. Should you make it to the bottom, the tantalizing prize of an enchanted adamantine sword awaits. Should you succumb, a portal to the abyss itself opens and a literally endless wave of demons bursts forth. Can you seal it again?

Dude, that would be EPIC!

Traab
2011-06-07, 11:12 AM
Is there a company out there that does this sort of thing? They take books or video games or whatever, and adapt them into a nice D&D type of game to be played? I ask because I was thinking that virtually any rpg could easily be adapted into a campaign. Take final fantasy 7 as an example. Your party starts out as members of AVALANCHE and all the characters from the actual game are either relegated to npc status and dont come along for the story, or are being controlled by players if they are willing to stick with that build. The hardest part would be translating the various monsters into creatures from the bestiaries for the various existing tabletop games. Worst case would involve just leaving them as they are and making up reasonable stats for them. There is an overarching storyline, tons of quests to do to advance the story, or to just get some extra things, and I bet it could take months of sessions to reach the end, if not even longer. It would be a truly campaign.

Totally Guy
2011-06-07, 11:23 AM
Is there a company out there that does this sort of thing? They take books or video games or whatever, and adapt them into a nice D&D type of game to be played? I ask because I was thinking that virtually any rpg could easily be adapted into a campaign.

I imagine there would be licencing issues.

For some reason the "licenced games suck" rule doesn't seem to apply generally to RPGs. A lot of the licenced games get good praise.

Yukitsu
2011-06-07, 12:03 PM
One based on that Shinji and Warhammer 40K fanfic. I know I won't get to play it, since my group doesn't know much about the eva series, and I'm the only one that plays 40K.

Though my DM is running a campaign based on the TV tropes pantheon, so really anything is possible with these guys.

Pechvarry
2011-06-07, 12:06 PM
Legacy of Kain

I approve of this concept.

Ramen&Malt Liqr
2011-06-07, 01:10 PM
Long time listener first time caller.

OT:
Seriously, nobody has said Xanth yet?

There's enough backstory, mythology, fully fleshed out characters, and creatures to make almost any other licensed system *hack cough* Star Wars *hack cough*, seem like an eighth grade book report written the night before it was due.

Xanth, and maybe Firefly, or do they have that already?

Now seeing as this is my first post on this board, excuse me while I play w/ all the shiny buttons.:smallredface::smallconfused::smalltongue: :smallwink:

Necro_EX
2011-06-07, 02:55 PM
Some things that might give a couple of people in here some hope to actually get to play these.

http://www.carp-mi.net/files/Roleplaying/Serenity_RPG_Cover.jpg
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm344/NecroEX/LoZcharactersheet.png
http://onceuponageek.com/images/drwhorpg2.jpg

Now, Dwarf Fortress...I'd be interested in seeing that, too.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-06-07, 03:34 PM
Dwarf Fortress would actually be an awesome dungeon crawl. You start at the front of the fortress, battling your way in through the armies of goblins (or, if it's Boatmurdered, bloodthirsty elephants). As you work your way deeper into the fortress, you come across a chasm/bottomless pit, battling your way down through the mining scaffolds the dwarves were using to harvest visible veins of metal until you reach the underground caverns, where you battle perverted animal men through a series of lightless, water strewn caves. You finally break into the underground fortress, where hoards of undead stream out in an almost neverending tide. Should you make it to the bottom, the tantalizing prize of an enchanted adamantine sword awaits. Should you succumb, a portal to the abyss itself opens and a literally endless wave of demons bursts forth. Can you seal it again?

Dude, that would be EPIC!

I had thought more Fortress mode, but you do raise a good point...

Hrmm....

Elvenoutrider
2011-06-07, 06:56 PM
Mass effect

Jay R
2011-06-07, 07:44 PM

If you're smart, you don't hope for it; you swindle the DM.

"Will you give me one chance in 100 of hitting the dragon with an arrow -- just hitting him, nothing about damage.?"

"OK, if I hit him, will you give the arrow one chance in a hundred of doing damage?"

"OK, if it does damage, will you give it one chance in 100 to kill the dragon?"

"OK -- I'll shoot. It's a one in a million chance, but it just might work."

Jay R
2011-06-07, 07:45 PM
TOON D&D. I want to play Ragnar Rabbit, the Hanna-Barbarian.

randomhero00
2011-06-07, 08:43 PM
A Sith Lord of the Force. Oh wait, I did get to play that. Was freakin awesome.

That's really about it. And I got to play it! HoooRAH!

zyborg
2011-06-07, 09:05 PM
Legend of Zelda?

There's a /tg/ project working on that right now.

Also, isn't Middlearth the assumed setting for Burning Wheel?

A setting I'd love to play/run would have to be Disgaea. I know the system for such a thing would be like doing taxes, but I'd love every second of it.

OT:

There's enough backstory, mythology, fully fleshed out characters, and creatures to make almost any other licensed system *hack cough* Star Wars *hack cough*, seem like an eighth grade book report written the night before it was due.

Now seeing as this is my first post on this board, excuse me while I play w/ all the shiny buttons.:smallredface::smallconfused::smalltongue: :smallwink:

Yes. Disgaea. Xanth. Definitely. I'm a huge fan of Disgaea, and one of my email addresses has the word Xanth in it because of how much I like it. In fact, I got a letter from Piers Anthony somewhere...

I'd love to play those games. I'd hope that Prinnys are playable. And Xanth would make for a good low-magic RPG. Well, low-spellcasting, anyways, as all magic besides for one spell per person would have to come from items and such.

erikun
2011-06-07, 09:17 PM
That reminds me; I wanted to work on a Legend of Zelda WoD game at some point. I only have a few sketchy ideas of how it would work, though.

I actually think that playing a "Legend of Zelda" style game would work out rather well. It's just designing a large dungeon that requires the players to think, rather than make Attack and Disable Device rolls all the time. The biggest problem would be actually designing said dungeons, as making something large, thematic, and interesting would take quite awhile.

For some reason the "licenced games suck" rule doesn't seem to apply generally to RPGs. A lot of the licenced games get good praise.
Oh, there are a number of bad licenced RPGs. However, they are pretty easy to avoid or just stick back on your shelf after playing once. :smalltongue: Also, most people make licensed games off an existing system or with an existing game developer, rather than trying to make their own - probably because most people don't know what RPGers are interested in.

Oh! That does sound nice. I always get annoyed when I'm stuck with the usual Elf-Dwarf-Hobbit races instead of something interesting and distinctly not human.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-06-07, 09:33 PM
I tried making a Legend of Zelda MMO a while back and people called me crazy. But think about it, in OoT you have the races of Kokiri Kids, Hyrulians, Sheikahs(only one is alive at the time of the game), Gerudo(only female sans one male every 100 years), Gorons(only male as far as we know), Zoras and Dekus.

7 Races to choose from and they are all awesome. The only misgiving that my friends have is that the story revolves around Link and the Triforce. That to me is like saying Star Wars is just about Luke. Other stuff happens besides the main hero killing the villain.

If you think about it you can easily re-purpose D&D for it by changing the names around and a couple of racial abilities. Problem lies in the Magic-ness of the world since the only magic visible is given via Goddesses(at least to link).

I have been trying to make a Matrix conversion for a game, but I don't know how I could work Agents into it as they are OP as hell.

navar100
2011-06-07, 09:34 PM
"Harry Potter"

Ars Magica comes close to a playable system for it. Even the Mage School idea fits in with Hogwarts, but the magic system doesn't match up perfectly. The Four Houses could replace Merinita, Ex Miscellania, Flambeau, etc. I don't think any game system could duplicate the free wheeling magic of the world. However, if you're willing to accept the magic not being exactly the same, the verisimillitude could probably work.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-07, 09:48 PM
A game based around a city where there are multiple competing universities of magic, and each one has its own system of alliances that allow you only to access a certain section of the cities knowledge base. The group all belong to one of the alliances, and are competing against the others for "grants" given by the government.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-06-07, 09:51 PM
A game based around a city where there are multiple competing universities of magic, and each one has its own system of alliances that allow you only to access a certain section of the cities knowledge base. The group all belong to one of the alliances, and are competing against the others for "grants" given by the government.

That sounds a bit like "Chrome Shelled Regios"

Tvtyrant
2011-06-07, 09:53 PM

Looks interesting, but I have never heard of it before. I was thinking along the lines of Veritas+actual college rivalries. So different groups within the school competing, and then the school versus other schools. Maybe make cliches an important part of the rules.

dsmiles
2011-06-07, 09:54 PM

That sounds a lot like a DnD campaign I ran once about political intrigue in a magocracy.

Pechvarry
2011-06-07, 09:58 PM
Mass effect

On the contrary, I've been talking this setting over quite a bit with my brother. There's enough options to keep players busy, no massive gaps between power ranges (biotics are potent, but so are tech specialists -- none of the "us and them" feeling of having a Jedi running around), and plenty of setting material to pull from.

I would say "Amber" (The Roger Zelazny books), but I'm starting to think I can run a game in this setting pretty convincingly as well.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-07, 09:58 PM
That sounds a lot like a DnD campaign I ran once about political intrigue in a magocracy.

How did you keep the players interested in the premise? Was there crunch differences between the different schools? How did the campaign go? What problems came up?

dsmiles
2011-06-07, 10:11 PM
How did you keep the players interested in the premise? Was there crunch differences between the different schools? How did the campaign go? What problems came up?
The players weren't very interested in any of the crunch, they liked the plot, so crunch differences were minimal. 2e Specialist Wizards, each one a school and guild, ruled over by a council of two from each specialist school, and one "High Mage" who was always a generalist wizard (and at the time was old and dying). Each school/guild was grooming their own successor, trying to get him/her installed on the throne. The campaign went extremely smoothly, mostly because the players rarely actually did anything crunch-wise. By the end, two of the characters were on the council, one character decided to retire, and the other had become the head of the Enchanters' Guild (Enchantment/Charm Specialists, if you hadn't guessed from the title :smalltongue:). They didn't get their candidate on the throne, but they all rose to high levels of power (both level-wise, and within their Guild). It was a blast, but I'm not sure if 3.5, as is, could handle it, since the specialist wizards no longer have diametrically opposed schools (you just pick one :smallannoyed:). That's it, in a nutshell. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Also the rise in level was from 1-15, and it took 3 in-game years.

Con_Brio1993
2011-06-07, 10:26 PM
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

It would be fun as hell to play, but I don't think there is a way to translate the series to a PNP RPG.

edit:

Also, The World Ends With You.

That probably could be turned into a PNP rpg (somewhat). At least the pins and entry fee could be done rather well. The partner system would be a pain in the butt though (though that could be ignored, or exist only in flavor).

SleepyShadow
2011-06-08, 12:58 AM
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

It would be fun as hell to play, but I don't think there is a way to translate the series to a PNP RPG.

I've actually been putting some thought into this, myself. I just watched the series, and I think a decent way to do it is to have Kyubey grant the PCs Spell-Like Abilities as a sorcerer equal to their level, but every time they use the magic they suffer Wisdom damage. Then enter the Grief Seeds, which contain a Restoration effect. The Soul Gems function akin to a Magic Jar spell, perhaps.

If we aren't talking D&D, then play Big Eyes Small Mouths. If it's the d20 verson, Kyubey gives the PCs levels in Magical Girl. If it's the older version, then just give the PCs appropriate abilities.

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-08, 01:00 AM
Paranoia.

I would love to play Paranoia, but I can't as I run Paranoia games.

Con_Brio1993
2011-06-08, 01:12 AM
I've actually been putting some thought into this, myself. I just watched the series, and I think a decent way to do it is to have Kyubey grant the PCs Spell-Like Abilities as a sorcerer equal to their level, but every time they use the magic they suffer Wisdom damage. Then enter the Grief Seeds, which contain a Restoration effect. The Soul Gems function akin to a Magic Jar spell, perhaps.

I was thinking something more akin to the FATE/DresdenFiles system. Basically you have a refresh rate which determines your SGS (soul gem state). Use of magical power will decrease your SGS. The Refresh Rate determines how much your SGS is raised whenever you use a Grief Seed.

Social combat losses could end with you despairing a bit. Every time you despair your SGS is lowered.

The real challenge isnt the corruption mechanic. That can be done easily imo. The really tricky part is the whole wish mechanic. What can you do to prevent really game breaking wishes? It also is implied that your powers are determined by the wish you make (I suppose the easiest way to handle it would to have say... a handful of wish categories and then assign powers to those wishes. Like "wish to help someone" results in "list of cleric/healing abilities." Then use DM fiat to prevent really broken wishes like "I want to be a god."

The-Mage-King
2011-06-08, 01:19 AM
What would be fun is playing in a game based on Beet the Vandel Buster...

Notreallyhere77
2011-06-08, 04:09 PM
a thing I'd like to play, but know I can't?

...Basketball.

On a more serious note, I'd like to play a game based on Jennifer Fallon's Tide Lords books.
The problems are twofold:
1) I've only read the first two books out of 4.
2) There would be either severe balance problems (one PC is a normal mortal, maybe a noble if they're lucky, and one PC is an unkillable god-like being who's been everywhere and has had nine thousand years to become good at everything and, if he/she is a Tide Lord, can split a mountain in half just by concentrating on it), or the gameplay would be too challenging (all of the PCs are mortals fighting a losing battle against a Tide Lord), or lack of challenge (all the PCs are Tide Lords/Lesser immortals). of course, not all of the immortals have godlike powers over the elements, but they all have infinite regeneration, so the only threat you can make against them is to destroy something or someone that they love. And too many players avoid attachments to NPCs anyway, because they fear it will be used against them, so it would be hard to make it work RP-wise. Of course, all of the PCs could be mortals, and the Tide Lords could just not make an appearance, but then I'm just playing D&D in a decidedly generic setting. Not to diss JF, but the all of the wonder and entertainment in the books comes from the characters, not the world they inhabit.

jidasfire
2011-06-08, 04:58 PM
Legacy of Kain

I tried to run a Legacy of Kain game once, but one of the players decided he was going to be a Sarafan who was the son of Mortanius and a fairy princess who was then turned into a vampire. Needless to say, he drove the other players off and the game never happened.

Also, on topic, I would play the heck out of a Shadows of the Apt RPG.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-06-08, 05:56 PM
Paranoia.

I would love to play Paranoia, but I can't as I run Paranoia games.

A lobotomy might help with that.:smallbiggrin:

Captain Six
2011-06-08, 06:49 PM
Continuing Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

If I were to use 3.5. Generic Spellcaster gestalt with any class of the player's choosing. The spellcaster uses spell points and should stick to a theme (honor system). The wish would be handled as backstory as it mostly deals with character motivations and Kyubey would avoid anyone who would make world breaking wishes/refuse to grant them. The wish is the payment for becoming a magical girl, he can chose not to go through with it I imagine.

The spell points would not recover after rest, instead you must use Grief Seeds. If you run out of spell points... well, **** happens. Due to being a lich spell points are drained gradually over time to keep the character's body alive and animated. DM and players would have to work around a misery draining spell points system.

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 07:00 PM
An rpg based on Inception. It would be really, really awesome. But you'd have to have just the right GM and just the right group of players....

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-08, 07:17 PM
A lobotomy might help with that.:smallbiggrin:

Please, citizen, the term is brainscrub. :smallwink:

Con_Brio1993
2011-06-08, 07:43 PM
Kyubey would avoid anyone who would make world breaking wishes/refuse to grant them. The wish is the payment for becoming a magical girl, he can chose not to go through with it I imagine.

Except he stated multiple times that Madoka could wish for wish godhood, and he basically never lies except by omission of facts. I don't think he'd refuse to grant world breaking wishes. He was audibly shocked at her final wish which screwed up his entire system of countering entropy. There is also no indication that he had a way of knowing that the witches would be replaced by demons. It seems he cannot refuse any wish.

However, he does generally pick people that are under a lot of emotional/mental stress so that they will wish for something simple/not put a lot of thought. The only exception was Madoka, and that was because her wish would fill his quota.

dsmiles
2011-06-08, 07:45 PM
You know what I really want to play, but can't? A good Wheel of Time game. The d20 setting book that came out didn't really cut it for me. :smallannoyed:

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 08:32 PM

OT:

Xanth would be pretty easy to do, particularly if you used the World of Xanth book. Though I don't think I could bring myself to. I like puns, but...ugh...

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-08, 08:50 PM

Firefly is a system, it's based on Cortex. I play a companion in my group. :smallbiggrin:

DontEatRawHagis
2011-06-08, 08:58 PM
Firefly is a system, it's based on Cortex. I play a companion in my group. :smallbiggrin:

My friends and I play it as well. Everyone chose Cortex Spector as a major asset and is secretly Alliance. Our Browncoat captain is the GM and OOC says that when someone does background checks on the crew that its going to be very interesting to find out half of her crew doesn't actually exist.

Also we have a companion, so far a lot of sex jokes are thrown around and a lot of Male NPCs are really handsy with HIM. Yes that's right he is a male companion who caters to a mostly male client base.

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-08, 09:05 PM
I'm going to toss out MegaMan Legends. Awesome series.

Katana_Geldar
2011-06-08, 09:34 PM
My friends and I play it as well. Everyone chose Cortex Spector as a major asset and is secretly Alliance. Our Browncoat captain is the GM and OOC says that when someone does background checks on the crew that its going to be very interesting to find out half of her crew doesn't actually exist.

Also we have a companion, so far a lot of sex jokes are thrown around and a lot of Male NPCs are really handsy with HIM. Yes that's right he is a male companion who caters to a mostly male client base.

There's a male companion on the ship, I'm not sure how we'll get along and who is going to get the ship's only shuttle. Most of our group are browncoats or have independent sympathies, with the exception of me.

Kaun
2011-06-08, 09:52 PM
ahhh where to start.

L5R
ShadowRun
Any super hero game

I have GM'd them all but my player group are reluctant to GM at the best of times and often view these games as "to much work".

Totally Guy
2011-06-09, 02:31 AM
An rpg based on Inception. It would be really, really awesome. But you'd have to have just the right GM and just the right group of players....

Lacuna by Jared Sorensen.

It's about secret agents dropping into a shared dream space in order to eliminate "hostile" parts of the subject's personality.

You've got to accomplish your goals before your own heartbeat increases to a degree that's dangerous to you. And carrying out certain actions will alert the dream of your presence and things get more surreal and dangerous.

Amazingly this RPG was written before inception came out.

I ran it this weekend for the first time. It was very good but the sessions were much shorter than I'd antipated.

Mono Vertigo
2011-06-09, 07:46 AM
Persona games, especially the 3rd one, would mend themselves especially well to tabletop gaming... but I'm 99% sure such a game doesn't exist. Yet. :smallfrown:
Or, hey, other Shin Megami Tensei games. Satanic Pokémon. What else would you ever want?!

Knaight
2011-06-09, 08:25 AM
What would be fun is playing in a game based on Beet the Vandel Buster...

This seems really easy to do actually. One could turn GURPS or Fudge into a good base system easily enough, mimic the monsters, steal the setting whole sale, and make up a bunch of Vandels. The manga has a pretty decent setting overall, and it is one deserving of a much better story than the one being told.

SleepyShadow
2011-06-09, 09:55 AM
The wish would be handled as backstory as it mostly deals with character motivations and Kyubey would avoid anyone who would make world breaking wishes/refuse to grant them. The wish is the payment for becoming a magical girl, he can chose not to go through with it I imagine.

Nah, let the PCs wish for godhood, just like Madoka did. And, just like Madoka, they immediately become NPCs ... just like all the other deities :smallbiggrin:

The-Mage-King
2011-06-09, 10:42 AM
This seems really easy to do actually. One could turn GURPS or Fudge into a good base system easily enough, mimic the monsters, steal the setting whole sale, and make up a bunch of Vandels. The manga has a pretty decent setting overall, and it is one deserving of a much better story than the one being told.

!

Someone else who read it? A rare find.

I was honestly thinking about it with the only system I can say I have some mastery of- 3.X D&D. Seems fairly simple to set up... Just use generic spellcaster instead of one of the normal ones, and require them to go with a "theme" of elemental magic.

But yeah. It's a nice setting. A shame about the writer being sick.

Knaight
2011-06-09, 11:05 AM
But yeah. It's a nice setting. A shame about the writer being sick.

The writer is fine. The artist, however, broke some bones on his drawing hand, and has yet to fully recover.

As for the setting, D&D seems like an absolutely terrible fit. I'd use Fudge or Fate, both of which are generic and free, I'm reasonably sure Cortex and Savage Worlds could manage it, though I am not hugely familiar with them, and I can certainly do it in GURPS, even though I'm no expert.

Ravens_cry
2011-06-09, 11:08 AM
Xanth would be pretty easy to do, particularly if you used the World of Xanth book. Though I don't think I could bring myself to. I like puns, but...ugh...
I know your pain. I mean, I love puns, you may have seen some of my 'best' work, but I am not sure I would want to play in a world where asking for a stiff drink will get you an icicle. Reading the books was bad enough, I found it very hard to be engaged in enough to care what happened to the characters. I also do not have the authors *ahem* panty fixation.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-06-09, 11:48 AM
Gurren Lagan. Seirously, that anime was so awesome but possessed so much over the top ridicilousness that I have a hard time seeing it translate into D&D or D20 future...maybe some rules light system such as Fate/Fudge or something simmilar may be better? I have a friend who is using Fate to make a My little Poney: Friendship is Magic PnP RPG...

Also, Digimon, but not as a human. I'd LOVE to see a digimon PnP game based on a human-free X-evolution type setting but to do such a thing with D&D would involve a crapload of homebrew...Mutants and Masterminds can easily moddle a digimon, sure, but it won't be all that great at moddeling digivolution without some homebrew so I am not sure if there is a system out there that could moddle this without adding extensive homebrew...

DontEatRawHagis
2011-06-09, 05:38 PM
Mech RPGs, I never have found one that does Mech games justice. I am going to dabble in Battletech later this year, but I don't like the universe that much.

Making my own is the only option I have, besides very very broken supplement books.