PDA

View Full Version : I'm drawing a blank for this adventure...

drawingfreak
2011-06-06, 02:10 AM
In our current 4e game, the PCs are infiltrating a rival mercenary clan in hope to find proof of crimes against the crown (clans in this game are similar to those in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced: you are hired to go on missions, usually to hunt a monster, and earn your pay). A member of the rival clan knows one of the PCs through their evil former master, now dead...ish.

Outside of all this, I have been hinting at a coming Far Realm invasion through mysterious cult activity.

I don't think mixing the two themes will work at the moment, but I have no idea what to put together for the treason story arch. Help. :smalleek:

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-06, 04:08 AM
1) People in the rival clan start talking about how one guy is acting strange. As in, really, really, really strange. Investigation leads to...Well, sights best not described on the forum, but let's just say the wallpaper will never be the same again. Talk of this NPC's behavior being out of character and unease suggest an outside force at play.

These treasonous guys are not happy at one of their own being controlled. The crown is suddenly less interested in the treasonous clan, as more reports of people acting erratically and leading to them committing grisly murders has sprung up. PCs might be called back to another area, or left to decide which is more important: Focusing on the cause of murderous insanity, or making sure the treasonous guys don't cause problems later.

2) The PCs find out who Bad Guy Mercenary Leader is working for. Investigation of them leads to a Far Realm cult. Mercenaries from the rival cult might be convinced to bail if they actually know who they are working for. Might be a good place for a diplomancer to shine.

The cult has been supporting threats to the crown to destabilize the region so they can operate better. Maybe they need to find a macguffin in the region, and are reluctant to move to an area that it would be easier to be a crazy cult in.

3) Well, it turns out that the mercenary guild leader is not a nice guy, but they're not THAT bad of a guy. Turns out, they have been working to take out the crown because they know, for whatever reason, that the real power behind the throne is not just a threat to the kingdom, but the entire plane. Hint, its a far plane cult or monster!

Noneoyabizzness
2011-06-06, 07:03 AM
heh funny. the plot reminds me of original FFT. just swap far realms beasts with zodiac braves.

motivations
1)pacts. why help the far realm? power. the bosses want the power or at least the assurances to survive the war they think the prime will lose.
2)money-not the brightest reason but bringing the enemy in increases the revenue of theirs and allied mercenary companies defending people or rooting out invading forces.
3)different masters-in the end instead of aiding the cults the cults did the work in helping to unrest the government for some infernal master to take the reigns and establish a different order.

j4bberw0ck
2011-06-06, 03:30 PM
My first instinct is to tell you to stop playing 4e. But that aside I have a few ideas.

What sort of treason are they committing?

Selling government secrets?

Harboring Fugitives?

Regardless of what types of treason they are committing the reason could be simple it pays well.

The people paying the clan have far darker intentions. The information they are buying or fugitives they are hiding within the clan could be key elements to bringing in the Far realm invasion. Of course the patrons are never directly involved always using several middle men to deliver the orders that are disguised as benefactors with no connection to the patrons.

LansXero
2011-06-08, 07:27 PM
In our current 4e game, the PCs are infiltrating a rival mercenary clan in hope to find proof of crimes against the crown (clans in this game are similar to those in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced: you are hired to go on missions, usually to hunt a monster, and earn your pay). A member of the rival clan knows one of the PCs through their evil former master, now dead...ish.

Outside of all this, I have been hinting at a coming Far Realm invasion through mysterious cult activity.

I don't think mixing the two themes will work at the moment, but I have no idea what to put together for the treason story arch. Help. :smalleek:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Genestealer

For some reason whenever I hear of cults and the Far Realm it always makes me think of Genestealers. Check out the infiltration section, it would make a cool finding when they discover the reasons behind the treason was because either they are working for the Far Realms cultists, or worse, the "traitors" are the only ones who have figured out the rulers arent what they seem anymore :O