PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Spellfire

Halae
2011-06-06, 04:11 AM
Now, I recently picked up Magic of Faerun off of a friend, and the first thing that caught my eye was Spellfire.

Potentially, it's very powerful - spells that target you specifically can be absorbed and shot back at an enemy as a supernatural attack with an insane range, as a touch attack, that deals half straight magic damage, so no resistances deal with that (though it deals with the fire side of this).

Problem is, while this is a powerful feat to take (and it has been allowed for my next IRL game), I have no idea how to optimize it. I don't even have a character concept in mind just yet.

And so, I turn to you, Playgrounders. Those with more rules savvy than I, I ask you thus; How do I keep up with my optimized party as a character with Spellfire?

Alleran
2011-06-06, 04:51 AM
From what I recall, it's very difficult to optimise spellfire usage. The prestige class for it, as an example, is d4 HD, and doesn't even advance spellcasting. And although you can, by 15th level and with a CON of 25-30, charge into battle pumped up on enough power to have 130-150 levels stored and unleash 25-30d6 blasts of spellfire at targets, it won't really last for very long before you run out of energy.

And you have to re-absorb by readying actions to absorb incoming spells. I suppose if you were shapechanged into something that gave extra actions (Chronotyryn, Choker) you might be able to get quicker use out of it, though.

Spellfire is more restrictive and DM-adjudicated because of what it represents within the background of FR, I'd say. The feat itself isn't all that powerful. It'd probably be useful for a fighter or a barbarian looking for a slight augment, but beyond that there are better feats (and better uses for your actions, too). A wizard or sorcerer (or any spellcaster) is going to find it rather useless compared to the other things they can do.

(EDIT: Thankfully spellfire doesn't have the mechanical effects it has in the background. You can't teleport or use any sort of dimensional travel if you have it, for example, because doing so tears a hole in reality and might well obliterate you where you stand.)

Fizban
2011-06-06, 07:45 AM
Posted in the other thread before I noticed this one. I'll cross-link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11148508#post11148508) and simply say here that: no, it is not good at all. You have to ready an action, which means that if they don't hit you with a spell you can absorb, you just wasted your entire turn. A melee character can't afford to waste turns like that- you're much better off using a proper Rod of Absorption for defense (which does not require readying), and using just about any other option in the game for offense and healing.

MonarchAnarch
2011-06-06, 11:14 AM
I've played a spellfire character before, years ago. Even took the PrC for it, Spellfire Channeler, and it can be good fun. The fluff of the spellfire feat gives the DM some nice options in that the Red Wizards actively hunt down/experiement on any spellfire wielder.

That aside, it is doable. Everyone in the two spellfire threads are focusing on the absorbtion taking a standard round, etc..that it sucks that they have to be the one targeted yadda yadda...etc.

Taking the time to absorb spells mid battle is dumb, like in battle healing. Spellfire + cheap wands/eternal wands = profit. spell absorbtion can be done via wand and other magical items as well per the text. Grab hold of said BBEG's equipment/weapon and drain it of it's magical presence, etc.

For 1 feat, you get solid healing that costs pratically nothing. At the end of the day have your casters charge you up as well before rest.

Spellfire is not to be looked at as a focus of a character (unless you take the PrC). Use it as a utility. Pump your CON and utilize it when the situation sees fit.

El Dorado
2011-06-06, 01:07 PM
It's an interesting way to disable magical traps such as glyphs and symbols. Would be more useful if there a feat that let you absorb energy as an immediate action.

true_shinken
2011-06-06, 02:54 PM
Dip Warlock and you can supercharge yourself with your invocations, getting as much Spellfire as you need.

Lateral
2011-06-06, 07:07 PM
Make your average CON-SAD build, only plus Spellfire and the aforementioned Warlock dip. Jolly good fun. :smalltongue:

Halae
2011-06-06, 07:13 PM
Huh. So, the general deal is that everybody finds it underpowered because you need to use a standard action readied to actually use it, right? that makes sense. I'll talk to my DM about letting me use it as an immediate action - that way it can be used as an actual counter rather than, you know, that thing I do after the battle is over so I can do a bit of blasting. I'll also discuss the reflex save with him. I mean, why is that there? is it not enough that you blast someone with a touch attack? sure, you can fire shots that deal around 25d6 damage, but you can only do that so many times. Or once, if you didn't take the PrC.

In the end, I think I'm seeing this as a tool that, while not necessary to a build, is a not bad investment if you have a free feat, especially if you're going to take a warlock dip.

Maybe an Incarnate? Incarnum users are pretty SAD to Constitution, so it's not a terrible idea. Another idea is to have a fighty character, like a Warblade or Crusader, I suppose

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-06-06, 07:23 PM
A Warlock dip doesn't work, you have to ready an action to absorb magic targeted at you so you cannot both target yourself with an invocation and use a readied action to absorb it. You need another character who is a Warlock (or Dragonfire Adept) if you want to charge yourself up.

Spellfire itself isn't all that great. You have to ready an action to absorb spells, which means that unless you're breaking the action economy you cannot also be attacking. Once an enemy sees that you can absorb magic he'll just ignore your character and target someone else. Releasing spellfire as an attack requires an attack roll and then the target also gets a set-in-stone DC 20 reflex save for half damage. You could spend a feat on Ability Focus to raise the DC to 22, but that's still hilariously easy for an opponent to make if that's not one of their poor saves. If you use the Warlock shenanigans to charge up, you can use it for unlimited out of combat healing, and get off one big shot per encounter, but that's about it.

Maybe if there was a Reactive Spellfire feat, similar to Reactive Counterspell in that same book, which allowed you to give up your next round's actions to absorb magic, then maybe it would be more useful. As it stands, it's only really useful with a Warlock or a race with an at-will spell-like ability in the party. It's either highly situational and extremely limited, or it's extremely cheesy.

Lateral
2011-06-06, 07:26 PM
Okay, so take a Warlock dip, and have a friend take Spellfire and a warlock dip. DOUBLE TEAM! :smalltongue:

true_shinken
2011-06-07, 06:14 AM
A Warlock dip doesn't work, you have to ready an action to absorb magic targeted at you so you cannot both target yourself with an invocation and use a readied action to absorb it.
Can't you absorb ongoing effects? :smallconfused: