PDA

View Full Version : Magic items for a grappling warlock

rye0006
2011-06-06, 04:12 AM
Title pretty much says it all - What magic items should I be looking to get for a grappling/eldritch clawing warlock?

obviously there's the greater chausable of fell power which is a must have, but what else? Not sure the warlocks scepter would work particularly well with the unarmed strike flavour of the character.

any and all legitimate 3.5 sources welcome.

Halae
2011-06-06, 04:19 AM
What you are looking for is this, my friend! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708)

if you want to be a grapple-lock, you need to use some stuff from Dragon magazine and potentially some hellfire shenanigans if you want to get really powerful, but the hellfire part isn't necessary. The guide has just about all the info you need

true_shinken
2011-06-06, 05:43 AM
Grappling Warlocks get the least attention in the guide, because they don't need it, really. Grappling Blast is just that good.
You need the standard ways to start the grapple realiably though - so get big and the like. Primordial Half-Giant seems like a good option for race. I'll give this some thought and update the guide.

rye0006
2011-06-06, 06:13 AM
I'm designing a goliath grappling warlock - so the powerful build will help with the grapple. I'm also looking at making an item which bestows a constant +2 or +4 to grapple checks in a similar vein to the girallon arms from magic of incarnum. Not sure how much that would cost though. Brawlers gauntlets in MIC cost 1000gp for +2 grapple and damage for 1rnd 3 times per day

We houserule that enlarge/reduce person works on monstrous humanoids, so will be looking for something like the belt of growth as well. Does this sound like a good plan? - Grow to large size and powerful build to huge.

Need to dig out my copy of savage species for the beast claws as well.

Fizban
2011-06-06, 07:52 AM
Buy a wand of Fearsome Grapple (Spell Compendum, 2nd level), and then some Gloves of the Titan's Grip (Magic Item Compendium, 14,000gp) when you can afford them. Combine with the usual Improved Grapple, Enlarge Person, and so on. Bonus points if you use Babau Slime and Balor's Nimbus to add crazy damage just for being in the grapple.

rye0006
2011-06-06, 08:05 AM
How much would it cost to have Beast claws of the Titans grip?

Beast claws (savage species) 9610gp
Gloves of the Titans grip (MIC) 14000gp