PDA

View Full Version : Myconid race with Eastern flavour (PEACH)

GodGoblin
2011-06-06, 09:16 AM
Hey guys this is my time making actual homebrew as I usually prefer making the rules fit to my ideas but sadly I have been trumped this time! I have always wanted to play a Myconid PC but sadly the MM entry is rather unusable.

As I thought about the character it developed into becoming a silent wandering samurai type from the east, with the fact Myconid cannot speak it fits rather well! And that thier heads look like certain eastern hats :smallbiggrin: Following from that idea I though of basing this Myconid off of an eastern mushroom (The taller, thinner type) and this is what I have so far-

This has been edited in conjunction with the comments below:

Eastern Myconid
Medium plant
+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
Medium
Base land speed is 30 feet.

Natural armour +2

Plant Traits:
Low-light vision.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep.

Eastern Myconids must be in contact with soil, water or other suitable nuitrient filled surface for twenty minutes a day to recieve the equivilent of a days meal. This can be broken up throughout the day, it does not need to be in one sitting.

Fungal anatomy: Unlike other plants Eastern Myconids have internal organs, certain spore glands and nutrient absorbing 'stomachs' can often be hit to cause more severe damage. Because of this Myconids are subject to critical hits.

Fire vulnerability (+50% damage from fire)

Rapport: Myconids do not speak, but these spores enable them to establish communication with each other and with outsiders. A successful Fortitude saving throw negates the effect, but it is harmless. Creatures within 30 feet of a Myconid can be affected by its Empathic Spores, this allows the Myconid to alert others to its emotional state, as well as basic feelings such as danger or safety. At 5HD the Myconid learns to release its telepathic spores to those within 30 feet, this allows two way communication between a subject and the Myconid within this area.

+4 racial bonus on Hide checks made in forested surroundings
+4 Knowledge (Nature) checks.
(This can be swapped to Caves and Dungeoneering for an underground themed Myconid)

Favored Class: Druid

LA+0

The lack of communication and the fire vulnerabilty are fairly hefty downsides, my thinking was that the full plant type and the extra attribute bonus to Wisdom would help equal that out.

I havent added any fluff to it but I took away the crazy sunlight damage from normal Myconids and made this race forest based to explain it, the fire vuln. was added there instead.

So what do you think? Too powerful or not enough? Ive added my notes and things im unsure on alongside in red. As always thanks in advance!

radmelon
2011-06-06, 09:21 AM
You had me at myconid. I love myconids.

GodGoblin
2011-06-06, 09:25 AM
I would never had guessed! Being a Myconid fan can you think of something I have missed out theme wise?

BrowncoatJayson
2011-06-06, 10:19 AM
Critical hit immunity is probably too strong; instead, could give them a natural AC, and maybe give them racial feats for natural AC boost with increasing fortification.

Adding Wisdom bonus and dropping Dark vision are good.

Too keep with the silent warrior type, I'd even get rid of telepathy. In place, they could be surrounded in a cloud of spores that give everyone within 30' empathy with the myconid (Fort negates/harmless). This way, they can transmit their general feelings, without being able to speak or communicate at all. If they have to have a "language", you could give them a non-vocal type (adjusting the membranes of their spore caps, changing the 'scent' of their spores, or even sign language).

Overall, I like it. I may even have to create a Myconid Samuari for my next campaign.

GodGoblin
2011-06-06, 10:34 AM
Critical hit immunity is probably too strong; instead, could give them a natural AC, and maybe give them racial feats for natural AC boost with increasing fortification.

Adding Wisdom bonus and dropping Dark vision are good.

Too keep with the silent warrior type, I'd even get rid of telepathy. In place, they could be surrounded in a cloud of spores that give everyone within 30' empathy with the myconid (Fort negates/harmless). This way, they can transmit their general feelings, without being able to speak or communicate at all. If they have to have a "language", you could give them a non-vocal type (adjusting the membranes of their spore caps, changing the 'scent' of their spores, or even sign language).

Overall, I like it. I may even have to create a Myconid Samuari for my next campaign.

The problem with your communication idea is that the silent warrior type i just my character idea, not an idea for the race on a whole. I do like the idea however im thinking of using it but at 5HD it can communicate telepatically to those within the 30 feet, Maybe create a racial feat to increase the range too.

I was thinking the same with the Natural armour actually, how does +2 sound? As well as a feat for Light fortification?

Just editing in this above, thanks for the feed back!

Gamer Girl
2011-06-06, 05:55 PM
Does 'mushroom person' really say +2 Dexterity? As mushrooms are well know for moving around?

Immunity to mind effects is a bit much, maybe just a bonus to saves?

If they are 'people', should they not need to eat and sleep? Normal plants of the plant type eat. And why should they not rest their minds?

Were do you see 'Eastern flavor'?

GodGoblin
2011-06-07, 03:41 AM
Does 'mushroom person' really say +2 Dexterity? As mushrooms are well know for moving around?

Immunity to mind effects is a bit much, maybe just a bonus to saves?

If they are 'people', should they not need to eat and sleep? Normal plants of the plant type eat. And why should they not rest their minds?

Were do you see 'Eastern flavor'?

Immunity to Mind effects comes from the plant type, and really thats one of the primary boons to the race, the rest are mainly flavourful downsides! :smalltongue: Being a plant they are not affected by most charm spells anyway, I think when compared to the races limited speech and fire vulnerability it evens out quite well. This race seems to have High highs and low lows that might seem over powered when looked at in part.

The sleeping is again part of being a plant and gaining nutrients through the soiljust seemed like a fun alternative to eating, also means they dont have to have a mouth to go with the no speaking (Just seemed fitting)

Eastern flavour and dex bonus come from it being based on a chinese mushroom, they are long and thin rather than squat like standard 'shrooms. Doesnt have to be eastern however could simply be a Forest Myconid variant.

EDIT- Any ideas for streamlining the nutrient eating ruling?