PDA

View Full Version : Help with my first Batman Wizard [Epic]

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 10:05 AM
First, some background:
Next week, a member of my group has decided that he wants to DM an epic game. As part of the premise of the game, each character will embody a different statistic, partially because the DM also wants the characters to be able to form Voltron. Each character also has a nemesis, and it is for one of these nemesi that I come to you. All books, and dragon is generally allowed.I need help, namely with my first batman Wizard. The above quote was for another in my group who was helping the DM. I've been chosen to be Intelligence, and so automatically chose Black Ethergaunt for a race. This was allowed, but I'm beginning to think that that wasn't the best choice. I've looked at Logic Ninja's Guide to Being Batman, X Stat to Y Bonus, and numerous other things, but none really suggested how to get hugely high Int and be SAD at the same time. Everything about my character is changeable, and the spell list isn't definite. Please suggest some way to be ÜberBatman, as Batman is awesome!
Here is the sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=303175)

dextercorvia
2011-06-06, 10:18 AM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate will get you Int to HP instead of Con. It's a start.

Godskook
2011-06-06, 10:18 AM
You're a wizard, you *ARE* SAD. Now, if you're looking to play up the theme, carmendine monk will provide you with a handy +Int to AC, but that's completely unneeded.

Since you're a batman wizard, you're going to want to allocate spells between defense and Save-or-Suck. Since I'm guessing this is a high-powered game, you're also going to want Incantrix for persist shenanigans. What level are you guys starting at, specifically, cause that affects what kind of shenanigans are available.

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-06-06, 11:21 AM
I am in mooseman's group, and while I am not the DM, I am assistant DM to whoever is DM of the week. So here are some details about the game.

The game is starting at level 21, and the two other optimizers in the group are playing tier 3 (Str based war hulk and Cha based warlock variant). The DM is opposed to templates on principle, but can be convinced of their use.

That said, I know that both myself, mooseman, and the DM would appreciate help with a batman wizard, espically since I am designing for the DM an illusionist/diviner batman gnome to oppose the str character.

My group thanks you.

dextercorvia
2011-06-06, 11:40 AM
If you are a Wizard in an otherwise T3 party, then you can afford to not choose much from the ToS banned list. :smallamused:

I looked over your sheet. You have good spell choices. I'd have opted for a way to mitigate some of that metamagic cost, but your feats aren't bad. If you plan to actually use smiting spell, you might want to invest in Knowledge Devotion. Your Int bonus alone makes that a +5/+5 to any attack.

Is there any advice in particular you are looking for, or more along the lines of: Astral Project from your Demiplane after casting CoP to learn the nature of your adversaries...

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 12:21 PM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate will get you Int to HP instead of Con. It's a start.That's why I have 523 hp at 18th.

Since you're a batman wizard, you're going to want to allocate spells between defense and Save-or-Suck. Since I'm guessing this is a high-powered game, you're also going to want Incantrix for persist shenanigans. What level are you guys starting at, specifically, cause that affects what kind of shenanigans are available.I've already taken Incanitrix 1, and plan to go RHD 16/Incanitrix 10/whatever, Ending up with +1 CL instead of -3 (LA).

If you are a Wizard in an otherwise T3 party, then you can afford to not choose much from the ToS banned list. :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

I looked over your sheet. You have good spell choices. I'd have opted for a way to mitigate some of that metamagic cost, but your feats aren't bad. If you plan to actually use smiting spell, you might want to invest in Knowledge Devotion. Your Int bonus alone makes that a +5/+5 to any attack.Anything I can use in place of Smiting spell?

Is there any advice in particular you are looking for, or more along the lines of: Astral Project from your Demiplane after casting CoP to learn the nature of your adversaries..."Are there ways I can improve my character?" and "What are they?" are my big questions. Others would be "How can I get my Int to everything without much investment?" and "How can I pimp my Int so much that it is way beyond it's current total?"

Incanur
2011-06-06, 12:46 PM
If epic spellcasting exists, your lack of it potentially hurts depend on how the DM interprets those rules. With a liberal reading and lots of minions, it's trivial to get ridiculous stat bonuses from epic spells.

dextercorvia
2011-06-06, 12:59 PM
Instead of Smiting Spell, I would take a metamagic reducer (Easy, Practical, etc.)

Or, if you want a pair of feats that would greatly benefit from your Int mod:

Spell Mastery: Choose Int mod spells that can be prepped with no book.

Uncanny Forethought [EoE]: Leave up to Int mod spell slots per day open to spontaneously cast 1) any mastered spell as a standard action, or 2) any other spell you know as a full round action with -2 to CL.

Now think about spells that normally take a long time to cast, like Simulacrum, and laugh. For extra fun take Eschew and Ignore Material components.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-06, 02:02 PM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate will get you Int to HP instead of Con. It's a start.

Where do you find this feat at?:smallconfused:

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 02:22 PM
It's a Greyhawk Regional feat, and it has another source, I'm not sure what it is though.

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 02:26 PM
Instead of Smiting Spell, I would take a metamagic reducer (Easy, Practical, etc.)Never heard of Practical Metamagic.

Or, if you want a pair of feats that would greatly benefit from your Int mod:

Spell Mastery: Choose Int mod spells that can be prepped with no book.

Uncanny Forethought [EoE]: Leave up to Int mod spell slots per day open to spontaneously cast 1) any mastered spell as a standard action, or 2) any other spell you know as a full round action with -2 to CL.

Now think about spells that normally take a long time to cast, like Simulacrum, and laugh. For extra fun take Eschew and Ignore Material components.What other feat can I get rid of?
Related: Can you retrain bonus feats (from ethergaunt base race)?

dextercorvia
2011-06-06, 03:19 PM
Never heard of Practical Metamagic.

What other feat can I get rid of?
Related: Can you retrain bonus feats (from ethergaunt base race)?

Practical Metamagic is from one of the Dragon books, RotD or Dragon Magic and lets you pick a metamagic feat and reduce the level bump by one. Easy does the same thing and has easier prereqs. That is from Dragon Magazine, 325 seems likely.

Personally, I'd drop Iron Will and the level of Incantrix. It's going to be a while until it pays off. Insightful Reflexes is kind of a waste as failed reflex saves are usually just going to knock off your HP, which you have covered. Your Fort save is pathetic. Did you take Scribe Scroll? Drop that. Since I wouldn't bother Incantrix, I'd probably get rid of Extend and Persist and get some Rods of Extend.

Mindbender will get you a +2 and set you up to take Mindsight. That would essentially give you the ability Batman has in the climactic scene in The Dark Knight.

You can't retrain monster bonus feats, but you can chaos shuffle them away.

dextercorvia
2011-06-06, 03:22 PM
Where do you find this feat at?:smallconfused:

It is from dragon magazine 319

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 03:54 PM
Practical Metamagic is from one of the Dragon books, RotD or Dragon Magic and lets you pick a metamagic feat and reduce the level bump by one. Easy does the same thing and has easier prereqs. That is from Dragon Magazine, 325 seems likely.Coolio.

Personally, I'd drop Iron Will and the level of Incantrix. It's going to be a while until it pays off.Done.

Insightful Reflexes is kind of a waste as failed reflex saves are usually just going to knock off your HP, which you have covered.Kay.

Your Fort save is pathetic.Help with that please?

Did you take Scribe Scroll? Drop that.

Since I wouldn't bother Incantrix, I'd probably get rid of Extend and Persist and get some Rods of Extend.Sure.

Mindbender will get you a +2 and set you up to take Mindsight. That would essentially give you the ability Batman has in the climactic scene in The Dark Knight.:smallbiggrin: Wait, CM Mindbender, or CA Mindbender?

You can't retrain monster bonus feats, but you can chaos shuffle them away.Any suggestions? I have
6 open feat slots. Well, the four you suggested, and then two.

dextercorvia
2011-06-06, 04:58 PM
Definitely Complete Arcane.

Superior Resistance will help a little. I'll think about the rest.

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 05:01 PM
Actually, I can't take Ignore Material Components, as it's an epic feat.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-06, 05:59 PM
If your allowed epic magic I suggest making a living spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/livingLightning.htm)and then extending the inital casting to 100 days in order to get around 60d6. Its less broken then "real" epic magic, and lets you cast your epic slots each day.

Tael
2011-06-06, 07:11 PM
1: You don't need help. You're already going to be head and shoulders above the rest of the party and probably the enemies too.

That's why I have 523 hp at 18th.

2: Make sure you know what FMI actually does. And what you have to do to activate it.

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 08:50 PM
No problems, as I've got a slave. Enslave ftw.

dextercorvia
2011-06-06, 09:06 PM
Uncanny forethought is still worth it.

Endarire
2011-06-07, 05:08 AM
You should grab initiative boosters (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6000.0). Having only +11 init at this level is asking for trouble. Take the Aggressive trait for +2 initiative, -1 AC.

Taking a Conjurer level for Abrupt Jaunt (Player's Handbook II 70) is probably worth it. You can use 23/day!

Get a Belt of Battle (Magic Item Compendium 73). Get lots, if your DM lets you. Extra turns for the win, baby!

Get an item of +5 or 6 INT. It puts your INT modifier at a spiffy +25.

With Craft Contingent Item, make items of chain contingency (Tome and Blood 86). I like revivify, heal, spell turning, plane shift, true seeing, and teleport in there.

Take Mindsight as your level 18 feat! (You probably already planned this, but I had to state it.)

Snuggle up with Treantmonk! (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0)