PDA

View Full Version : Beast Strike feat

rye0006
2011-06-06, 10:50 AM
I've got a query concerning the Beast Strike feat from Dragon Mag #355 for a melee warlock. The feat basically says that when you make an unarmed strike or grapple check to deal damage you can add you claw or slam attack.

Now melee warlocks have been excited by using this with Eldritch Claws (Dragon Mag #358) to deal eldritch blast damage and twice your unarmed strike.

However, I think i've found an even sweeter deal, but wanted to check that this works:
When using Beast Strike in conjunction with Grappling Blast (Dragon Mag #358), when making a grapple check to deal damage in your grapple you release your eldritch blast (Grappling Blast) and use your claw damage (Beast Strike). In total therefore you apply eldritch blast twice and unarmed strike twice when successfully dealing damage in grapple.

Is this really correct???

bartman
2011-06-06, 08:12 PM
In my readings, you only have the claws if you use Eldritch Claws. You cannot apply Grappling Blast and Beast Strike since you do not have claws at that point, and my interpretation is you cannot apply invocations to your Eldritch Claws, since you cannot use your EB ability while the claws are in effect.

true_shinken
2011-06-07, 06:12 AM
This is tricky.
You can't use your "normal eldritch blast ability" with the claws on, but grappling blast is not your normal eldritch blast ability. This falls greatly on YMMV territory and I think it's intended not to work.
If it does work, though, you have some good damage, yes. But Grappling Blast is good enough as it is, I think.

rye0006
2011-06-08, 05:20 AM
This is tricky.
This falls greatly on YMMV territory and I think it's intended not to work.

What does YMMV mean? - sorry, but i'm a bit clueless about these things sometimes.

If it's not intended to work this way, then why does the beast strike feat have wording about grapple? Does this mean that you could effectively do a very similar thing to grappling blast just by taking the beast strike feat? the only difference i can pick up on is that grappling blast gives you a bonus to your grapple check next round (which, lets face it, is a huge bonus!)

Boci
2011-06-08, 05:21 AM
What does YMMV mean? - sorry, but i'm a bit clueless about these things sometimes.

Your milage may vary.

Big Fau
2011-06-08, 10:47 AM
This falls greatly on YMMV territory and I think it's intended not to work.

Implying Paizo ever intends us to use things the way they want them to be used. :smallamused:

Joking aside, I believe both of those are Blast Shape essences. If so, they can't be applied to the same Edritch Blast.

animewatcha
2012-12-07, 01:18 PM
If you are trying to go for a whirl of eldritch damage loop or something through grapple, why not try scorpion's grasp?