PDA

View Full Version : Achron - We have entered an endless recursion of time!

Shadow of the Sun
2011-06-06, 11:24 AM
Wow. Just...wow.

I'm not much of a gamer, I'll accept this. If there's a game genre I like most, it's usually roguelikes, and maybe retro platformers.

But, man, just the CONCEPT of this game makes me want to get my hands on it as soon as possible.

For those who haven't heard of it, Achron is a real time strategy game (not really, but we'll get to that) with a twist- it's an RTS with a fully functional time travel mechanic.

To quote the website for the game:

Achron is the first game to feature single-player and multiplayer free-form time travel. It is the world's first meta-time strategy game, a real-time strategy game where players and units can jump to and play at different times simultaneously and independently.

You can undo your mistakes, change your strategy after committing to it, preview the future, freeze time to perfectly coordinate attacks, and send entire fleets through time to when they are needed. However, all of your opponents will also be independently moving across time, attempting to rewrite history in their favor...

I mean...WOW. Can you imagine that? A good example is quoted on the TVTropes wiki:

There's also a commonly used tactic based on this called "counterfactual scouting" where a player orders a scout to rush into the enemy's base, skips to the future to see what the scout will find, then skips back to the present and tells the scout to cancel its suicide order in the first place.

Just...just...WOW. I NEED to get my hands on this, NOW!

This is the website for the game; it's currently in beta, but if you pre-order, you can download it and play the beta to your heart's content. (http://www.achrongame.com/site/index.php)

Dogmantra
2011-06-06, 12:32 PM
I have pre-ordered it and it is so incredibly fricking hard to get your head around. I am so so terrible.

AND YET IT IS SO SO FUN

shadow_archmagi
2011-06-06, 01:16 PM
I have pre-ordered it and it is so incredibly fricking hard to get your head around. I am so so terrible.

AND YET IT IS SO SO FUN

Ooh! I heard about this some time ago! MUST HAVE

Gaius Marius
2011-06-06, 02:49 PM
Ooh! I heard about this some time ago! MUST HAVE

Some time ago... Or tomorrow?

Dogmantra
2011-06-06, 02:53 PM
Some time ago... Or tomorrow?

At 17:82 AM yesterday 2012.

shadow_archmagi
2011-06-06, 03:27 PM
What if this game and Frozen Synapse had a baby

Pie Guy
2011-06-06, 04:19 PM

Well, you can already pause time to micro your units, so I'm not sure that's necessary.

Edit: I just realized how awesome that sentence is.

KBF
2011-06-07, 04:08 AM

They said the engine they use for time travel isn't strictly tied to the game and I got the impression they're opening up the thing to all kinds of mods and stuff so you know somebody could develop that

potatocubed
2011-06-07, 06:11 AM
SOLD!

I'm a sucker for anything with time travel.

shadow_archmagi
2011-06-07, 10:36 AM
They said the engine they use for time travel isn't strictly tied to the game and I got the impression they're opening up the thing to all kinds of mods and stuff so you know somebody could develop that

DOTA with time travel

uggnjhuijgha

Shadow of the Sun
2011-06-07, 04:53 PM
shadow_archmagi: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT.

Also, they've future proofed the engine- while 7 minutes of time travel is currently the limit due to hardware constraints, the engine should function up to two weeks of time travel.

tonberrian
2011-06-07, 07:14 PM

Also, they've future proofed the engine- while 7 minutes of time travel is currently the limit due to hardware constraints, the engine should function up to two weeks of time travel.

I want to play two weeks of time travel so bad.

Narkis
2011-06-07, 07:32 PM
It sounds the awesomest game ever, but I really want to play a demo before buying it. Because I have no idea how playable that concept is.

Jothki
2011-06-07, 09:09 PM

I'm thinking that it needs to run an instance of the game for the present, every time wave, and for any time travel incident that hasn't yet been hit by a time wave, as well as a chronological list of player actions. It wouldn't actually need to merge in a time travel incident that is hit by a time wave, it can just start applying any orders that still apply as they come up.