PDA

View Full Version : New questions on dwarven arcane rogue

Shecky
2011-06-06, 01:11 PM
Been a while since I mined you guys for advice on my dwarven rogue/caster build, and I'm back for a little more, if you don't mind. Previous thread is here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160096

Since then, we've actually not been able to play at all (DAMN YOU, REAL LIFE), so I haven't had a chance to dig myself into a hole yet, thank goodness. However, there's a new wrench in the works: the DM, who's been short on time because of Real Life, has been reconsidering his build-the-dungeon-from-scratch approach and has now decided to go with the World's Largest Dungeon as his template. Which adds a whole new level of complication.

Basically, the problem is that once you step into the WLD, the whole point is that you can't step out again until you reach the end... and the dungeon is designed to take you all the way from 1st level to 20th. Supplies will be luck-of-the-roll, gear will also be random chance and crafting is pretty much a dead issue (no workshops to go back to, time to take in a protected town-ish environment, etc.).

Concerns, questions and comments are as follows:

1) Really gonna have to husband resources, because we'll never know when the next opportunity to replenish supplies is going to present itself...including things like spell components. One thing I've seen suggested elsewhere is the Reserve Feat route, since reserve-feat casting is supposed to be component-free and pretty much Warlock-Lite in terms of being able to cast SOMETHING all day long. What do you guys think?

2) On a more general tack concerning supplies - I asked the DM if we would be allowed extra gold or more supplies than a 2nd-level party would normally be able to have, and he didn't like the idea (some folks say WLD allows for plenty of supplies in the dungeon, while others yell the exact opposite). Is there any recommendation regarding what non-exceptional gear might help make up for this lack, either short-term or in the long run?

3) The DM shows signs of relenting on SOME wish-list kinds of items, like scrolls that we'd normally be able to find in towns without that much trouble; he'd see to planting some of those things in treasure and suchlike. But it's not going to be a Monty Haul approach - we'd likely need to stick to whatever list we make. In that light, spell choice becomes absolutely critical. So, any more suggestions on must-have spells? Given the fact of weaponlike spells that can qualify for sneak attacks, I'm definitely going with Lesser Orb of X (as recommended in the aforementioned thread), some crowd-control stuff, etc., but I'd LOVE to hear what you'd choose and why.

4) What are your thoughts on the overall validity of a Rog2/Wiz3/Unseen Seer10 over the course of all those levels in this type of environment? Is there something I'm not seeing that could be a fatal flaw?

5) Is there anything else I'm missing that should enter into my build plan or even in my final supply run before we go in?

I'd appreciate any and all input here.

holywhippet
2011-06-06, 04:31 PM
You should look on this as a chance to improve your D&D skills. Instead of focusing on how you want the character to work and what you want them to have, adapt to the situation and make the best of what you actually have.

gallagher
2011-06-06, 05:44 PM
so eschew materials is mandatory

if i were you, i would be more rogue, less caster, and make your spells all make you a better rogue

Shecky
2011-06-06, 06:13 PM
You should look on this as a chance to improve your D&D skills. Instead of focusing on how you want the character to work and what you want them to have, adapt to the situation and make the best of what you actually have.

I'll choose to take that as an uninformed response instead of a condescending one: In the thread I linked, I made note that our group puts much more of an emphasis on playing ability than on building ability. We don't go for the broken-cheese builds we all seem to see everywhere; we go for solid, more broadly practical builds that will reward smart play. That being said, none of us are arrogant enough to assume we know everything there is to know about smart prep, which is why I put this "what are your thoughts/advice/reactions/etc.?" thread here.

Now, is there something you can add that doesn't sound awfully close to patronizing dismissiveness? I apologize if that wasn't your intent.

Shecky
2011-06-06, 06:15 PM
so eschew materials is mandatory

if i were you, i would be more rogue, less caster, and make your spells all make you a better rogue

Ordinarily, I'd be balls-out in this camp; a full-blown rogue can be a force to be reckoned with. The problem is that we're short-manning it - the way things have developed, I'm having to run BOTH roguely-duty AND caster roles in one character. It's a bit of a pain in the neck, and I'm looking for a belt-and-suspenders approach that will support both roles adequately.

holywhippet
2011-06-06, 06:20 PM
Now, is there something you can add that doesn't sound awfully close to patronizing dismissiveness? I apologize if that wasn't your intent.

I wasn't being patronising or dismissive. Asking what are "must have" spells for example - it really depends on what style of play you prefer and what you run into. I might suggest the sleep spell, but the DM might hit you with a heap of undead which are immune to it.

The simplest answer is to be prepared for any situation. Look for items/spells which are pretty much always going to be useful.

Shecky
2011-06-06, 06:32 PM
I wasn't being patronising or dismissive. Asking what are "must have" spells for example - it really depends on what style of play you prefer and what you run into. I might suggest the sleep spell, but the DM might hit you with a heap of undead which are immune to it.

The simplest answer is to be prepared for any situation. Look for items/spells which are pretty much always going to be useful.

Cool, sorry for any misunderstanding. But my question still stands: what do YOU feel are must-have spells/feats/gear/etc.? What do YOU think no self-respecting dungeon crawler would be without, especially with the caveat that once you go in, you're never coming out until you've beaten the mini-god at the end? What are YOUR Swiss-army-knife gotta-haves?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-06, 06:38 PM
2nd level, you say? You have 900 gp. Have everyone get everlasting rations (350 gp) and an everfull mug (200 gp).

Shecky
2011-06-06, 06:42 PM
2nd level, you say? You have 900 gp. Have everyone get everlasting rations (350 gp) and an everfull mug (200 gp).

Good ideas. I hope our DM allows them.

Shecky
2011-06-07, 08:55 AM
Any other insights or thoughts?