PDA

View Full Version : Building a Hunter/Priest {nWoD}

Tokuhara
2011-06-06, 01:48 PM
Joining a nWoD game next Sunday, and am planning the following (Note: I'm not really a heavy nWoD player. I play D&D more, but have played in one nWoD storyline as an Scandinavian Vampire Playboy/Lawyer):

Father Abraham O'Brien is an Irish-Born Catholic Priest who was professionally trained in Rome. He was abused as a child and has a deep-held hatred of non-Catholics. After his training, he returned to Ireland to preach the word of God. Eventually, he was recruited by the Order of Saint Stefano Di Toscano (St. Stephen of Tuscany) [The Order is his Cell, members of the Long Night, Members of the Malleus Maleficar] to combat heretics in the Middle East during Desert Storm. He soon found himself surrounded by sin, and nearly fell to it. However, (in his mind) God told him that sinners (Vampires & Werewolves), as well as heretics were possessed by demons and in order to cleanse them of said sin, he must "purge" them (purge = kill). He obtained a pair of S&W 44 Magnums, and began a one-man crusade against sin. His order saw this as true devotion to God and said he is to go to America to continue his Holy Crusade. He now resides in the slums of Chicago, in a derelict church, hoping to convert the gangs to the Catholic way and recruit them to join in his Crusade

If you can't tell, he's insane. This man would gladly kill you following preaching the word of God to you. Certifiable Nutcase.

I'm wondering how to build him so he can effectively face Vampires, Werewolves, and Demons without becoming a monster, unlike his "mentor" (who the GM is adding, being a HUGE Hellsing fan), Father Alexander Anderson. Help?

SurlySeraph
2011-06-06, 02:28 PM
Well, I'd start with Combat Marksmanship ***** and Composure *****. 4 gunshots per round will kill many things, especially if you can make special bullets for agg damage (silver for wolves, possibly other things depending on your ST's generosity).

Are you deadset on the magnums? Humans are squishy, and if you go for sniping you'll be in significantly less danger. Armor of St. Martin and The Shepherd's Blessing can help mitigate the danger, though.

Tokuhara
2011-06-06, 02:41 PM
Well, I'd start with Combat Marksmanship ***** and Composure *****. 4 gunshots per round will kill many things, especially if you can make special bullets for agg damage (silver for wolves, possibly other things depending on your ST's generosity).

Are you deadset on the magnums? Humans are squishy, and if you go for sniping you'll be in significantly less danger. Armor of St. Martin and The Shepherd's Blessing can help mitigate the danger, though.

He's a cross between the Preacher from Call of Juarez and Alexander Anderson, so the revolvers are as much for their scare factor as for their killing power. besides, he's a basketcase. He says that the Armor of God will protect him, and that he must preach the word before the sinner before "purging" them

Edit: He also uses Silver Bullets that have been hardened in Holy Water and engraved with a cross on the tip. nice big bullets that are specially designed to kill vampires, werewolves, and demons (I hope)

Semidi
2011-06-06, 03:22 PM
For a character like this, I see a lot of resistance states (resolve, composer)--plus if I remember correctly all the Malleus stuff runs off of Willpower. Next, if you want to use firearms, I'd suggest combat marksmanship, gunslinger, and ambidextrous. For back-up weapons, I'd go for a pair of fencing swords (or a rapier + main gauche combo for the extra defense as a lot of supernaturals will use melee) as you'll already have the two-weapon thing down as well as weapon finesse for attacks.

Something a lot of people forget when making strong characters (particularly hunters) is that combat is actually something that should happen semi-rarely. Most of what you're doing is sneaking around, digging up information, hacking computers, examining crime scenes, hitting up contacts and allies, "interrogations," and sifting through forgotten occult, lore--prepare accordingly. I could see this character being the occult/academics/intimidation go to guy for your cell.

Most of the "cross on the tip bullets" will do jack against nearly every type of supernatural--which is perfect. You're not supposed to know that demons and vampires (really just fancy spirits) couldn't give two ****s about engraved bullets and so a bit of misinformation is fantastic. I'd suggest making sure everyone incorporates a bit of wrongness into their character's ideas about supernaturals.

Tokuhara
2011-06-06, 03:28 PM
For a character like this, I see a lot of resistance states (resolve, composer)--plus if I remember correctly all the Malleus stuff runs off of Willpower. Next, if you want to use firearms, I'd suggest combat marksmanship, gunslinger, and ambidextrous. For back-up weapons, I'd go for a pair of fencing swords (or a rapier + main gauche combo for the extra defense as a lot of supernaturals will use melee) as you'll already have the two-weapon thing down as well as weapon finesse for attacks.

Something a lot of people forget when making strong characters (particularly hunters) is that combat is actually something that should happen semi-rarely. Most of what you're doing is sneaking around, digging up information, hacking computers, examining crime scenes, hitting up contacts and allies, "interrogations," and sifting through forgotten occult, lore--prepare accordingly. I could see this character being the occult/academics/intimidation go to guy for your cell.

Most of the "cross on the tip bullets" will do jack against nearly every type of supernatural--which is perfect. You're not supposed to know that demons and vampires (really just fancy spirits) couldn't give two ****s about engraved bullets and so a bit of misinformation is fantastic. I'd suggest making sure everyone incorporates a bit of wrongness into their character's ideas about supernaturals.

I was actually thinking, ironically, Bayonets? Kind of a respectful homage to Father Anderson?

My thoughts exactly. He's slightly insane, but who isn't in WoD?

I thought they'd actually do something... Bummersville. Well, they are hardened in Holy Water... Hope that does something.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-06, 03:58 PM
I was actually thinking, ironically, Bayonets? Kind of a respectful homage to Father Anderson?

I thought they'd actually do something... Bummersville. Well, they are hardened in Holy Water... Hope that does something.

For demons, maybe. Vampires aren't affected by True Faith in NWoD - only fire causes them Agg damage...bullets deal Bashing regardless of their composition.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-06, 03:59 PM

For demons, maybe. Vampires aren't affected by True Faith in NWoD - only fire causes them Agg damage...bullets deal Bashing regardless of their composition.

comicshorse
2011-06-06, 04:35 PM
Something a lot of people forget when making strong characters (particularly hunters) is that combat is actually something that should happen semi-rarely. Most of what you're doing is sneaking around, digging up information, hacking computers, examining crime scenes, hitting up contacts and allies, "interrogations," and sifting through forgotten occult, lore--prepare accordingly.

Very true. Going toe-to-toe with monsters is a bad idea for survival. Learn demolitions and breaking and enter and leave bombs.
"Kill them all, god will know his own "

Tokuhara
2011-06-06, 06:53 PM
Very true. Going toe-to-toe with monsters is a bad idea for survival. Learn demolitions and breaking and enter and leave bombs.
"Kill them all, god will know his own "

That goes against his style. He's very in your face vs. "I'm going to hide like a coward while the booby trap I set HOPEFULLY goes off..."

Semidi
2011-06-06, 08:05 PM

In nWoD there are basically two versions of demons. The first is that a demon is ghost or a spirit. A ghost would be some kind of specter possessing people because it's insane--but just a ghost.

Spirits are a bit different. When you have a spirit you have a spirit of something or a spirit embodying a thing or idea. So you could have a spirit of murder and most people would consider that a demon--it could even have a ban against holy items--but at the end of the day it's just a spirit, which have their own rules. But this type of murder spirit uses the same rules and mechanics as let's say, the spirit of screwdrivers (which theoretically exists in the setting--the setting is highly spirit-centric though spirits do vary little most anyone can see).

The second version of a demon is out of the book Inferno (one of my favorite nWoD books). In this case, demons are beings that embody vice in varying degrees. You could have a demon embodying the vice of, let's say, wrath, which has the goal to promote wrath and gain power. This version is a bit more classic demony, but the demons still work pretty much like spirits.

However, if I remember correctly, there still are many, many things a character can do against these things (exorcisms, abjurations, and endowments from the Malleus etc) that fit a classic "demon hunter" role. As well, you can talk to your ST if you want a more classic demon hunter like experience.

Tokuhara
2011-06-06, 11:40 PM
In nWoD there are basically two versions of demons. The first is that a demon is ghost or a spirit. A ghost would be some kind of specter possessing people because it's insane--but just a ghost.

Spirits are a bit different. When you have a spirit you have a spirit of something or a spirit embodying a thing or idea. So you could have a spirit of murder and most people would consider that a demon--it could even have a ban against holy items--but at the end of the day it's just a spirit, which have their own rules. But this type of murder spirit uses the same rules and mechanics as let's say, the spirit of screwdrivers (which theoretically exists in the setting--the setting is highly spirit-centric though spirits do vary little most anyone can see).

The second version of a demon is out of the book Inferno (one of my favorite nWoD books). In this case, demons are beings that embody vice in varying degrees. You could have a demon embodying the vice of, let's say, wrath, which has the goal to promote wrath and gain power. This version is a bit more classic demony, but the demons still work pretty much like spirits.

However, if I remember correctly, there still are many, many things a character can do against these things (exorcisms, abjurations, and endowments from the Malleus etc) that fit a classic "demon hunter" role. As well, you can talk to your ST if you want a more classic demon hunter like experience.

See, he wouldn't know that. Again, he thinks Vampires and Werewolves are "extreme demon possession" where said demon has devoured the human's soul and has taken it as his/her/it/hesheits meat puppet

The Glyphstone
2011-06-06, 11:43 PM
See, he wouldn't know that. Again, he thinks Vampires and Werewolves are "extreme demon possession" where said demon has devoured the human's soul and has taken it as his/her/it/hesheits meat puppet

Well, he'll die happy at least.

Pyrophilios
2011-06-07, 12:05 AM
This concept doesn't sound like a hunter. A slasher would be much more in line with his madness.

Hunters need their Friends. Quite a few Bendedictions need a decent Morality to be effective. You will need an extremely modified code to keep

Also I don't understand how his hatred for non-catholics works out with teaming up with the protestants of the Long Night.

Which source books do you have available? There is an archetype mad priest in the core rulebook p.303 you might want to have a look at.

Tokuhara
2011-06-07, 01:24 AM
This concept doesn't sound like a hunter. A slasher would be much more in line with his madness.

Hunters need their Friends. Quite a few Bendedictions need a decent Morality to be effective. You will need an extremely modified code to keep

Also I don't understand how his hatred for non-catholics works out with teaming up with the protestants of the Long Night.

Which source books do you have available? There is an archetype mad priest in the core rulebook p.303 you might want to have a look at.

Understandable

Ouch

I misread the groups, he's part of the Catholic one, with Long Night Morality

All of them

Semidi
2011-06-07, 01:52 AM
Understandable

Ouch

I misread the groups, he's part of the Catholic one, with Long Night Morality

All of them

You can still have a decently high morality stat by just taking a lot (a lot...) of tells, which can modify your morality stat. I once had an Ashwood Abbey character who was into all sorts of crazy, disgusting stuff (imagine the Marquis de Sade with a melee skill of 5) and had, I think, a morality stat of 5 at the end of the chronicle but also with 5 tells (so he was pretty much an inhuman bastard).

But there is the point of needing to have a character who can work in a cell without killing everyone in it. I'd suggest working out a common enemy agreement beforehand.

Pyrophilios
2011-06-07, 02:37 AM
Well then, on to optimization:

Virtue: Faith (Certain Benedictions will give you one die bonus)
Sin: Wrath or Pride (You are bound to gain a few WPP with this concept)

Important Attributes: Dex (4), Com (4), Str (2, if you use two hands, you can wield a Str 3 Pistol without penalties), Wit (3-4, high defense and perception, as well as interrogation and fast talk.

Merits: Status (1, just enough to get Benedictions), Benedictions (4, could be 5 but you lose one Merit point. 4 starting Benedictions are usually enough: Armor of St. Martin, Hands of St. Lukes, Shepherds Blessing, True Sight of St. Abel [You don't want to become frightened by lunacy], Epiodian Safeguard [really handy if you are confronted with a domination user])
If you can spare two points get weapon finesse (Knife) or (sabre)

I recommend a good Knife and FS: Speznaz. FS: Fencing is nice, but you usually can carry a knife much easier around. Besides you can use Speznaz with a stake.

Skills: Weaponry and Firearms 3 to 4 + Speciality, Intimidation 4 (Speciality: Converting to the cause), Occult 3 to 4 (Speciality: Monsters weaknesses).

A few dots in Crafts, Academics and Athletics would not be amiss, as would Drive and Survival. Empathy 1 for Moral Support Tactics

Lower your Morality to 5 and gain 10 XP. You will have to gain a few tells anyway, no need to make it harder then necessary. Besides, with your backstory he most definite has no Morality 7.

Remember to use the sacraments in your benedictions (anointing the sick = St. Luke, chrisam oil in confirmation = St. Martin and St. Abel)

With your first practical XP your group should purchase Moral Support Tactics. Mixing it with Epipodian Safeguard you can become virtually untouchable to subtle magics.

Talyn
2011-06-07, 07:12 AM
Keep in mind that a lot of storytellers don't allow, or heavily houserule, the Fighting Styles found in the Armory book, mostly because they are SO much better than anything else you can spend points on to the point of being ridiculous.

Also, while I think it's awesome how people are giving optimization tips, remember that WoD is NOT D&D - you should not be optimizing for combat unless you've created a character who has spent his life optimizing himself for combat. Even most soldiers and Marines only have a couple of dots in Firearms, Athletics, and Brawl. I mean, you are playing a guy who spent most of his adult life in a monastery and in mission houses - how the hell would he learn Olympic-level marksmanship, and Russian Special Forces hand-to-hand combat training?

You are better off buying skills based on the character's backstory, and then becoming an ass-kicking badass over the course of a Chronicle. Also, and this is more of a suggestion than anything, you probably want to tone down the crazy - even if you do optimize for combat, you are a Hunter, which makes you weaker in combat than just about everything else out there, and crazy/aggressive Hunters get everyone around them killed. This can annoy your fellow players, who after all put a lot of time and energy into their characters, too.

Oh, one other thing - Rules-as-Written don't let you belong to both a Compact and a Conspiracy at the same time - you can't gain the quasi-True Faith of the Long Night AND the Benedictions of the Malleus Maleficarum on the same character.

Pyrophilios
2011-06-07, 07:48 AM
Oh, one other thing - Rules-as-Written don't let you belong to both a Compact and a Conspiracy at the same time - you can't gain the quasi-True Faith of the Long Night AND the Benedictions of the Malleus Maleficarum on the same character.

That's not correct: You can belong to another group simultaneously. It's just really expensive. On p.73 Core multiple membership is detailed. In essence Status costs double (x4) and endowments tripple (x6)
Generally it's not worth the hassle.

It's true though that the storyteller system doesn't need optimization as much as other systems (and is much easier to abuse RAW)
It depends heavily on your GM and which approach he prefers.

But in my personal experience Hunters do find themselves quite often confronted with violence - and only good planing or exemplary skills will prevent them from being victims of said violence...

Analytica
2011-06-07, 08:37 AM
Somehow, I see this character running into the Lancea Sanctum, getting killed and Embraced, then keeping on killing vampires without admitting to himself that he has become one. Only drinking blood out of a communion chalice, claiming it is that of Jesus. Staying up only at night because that is when the monsters are out.

One quick side note: killing heretics during Desert Storm? A heretic is a person of the same faith as you but who you think has falsely modified that faith. Someone who is part of an entirely different faith, or no faith at all, might be an infidel, pagan or heathen respectively, but not a heretic.

comicshorse
2011-06-07, 10:20 AM
Somehow, I see this character running into the Lancea Sanctum, getting killed and Embraced, then keeping on killing vampires without admitting to himself that he has become one. Only drinking blood out of a communion chalice, claiming it is that of Jesus. Staying up only at night because that is when the monsters are out.

" No, no, we are the GOOD vampires. Now there is this bunch called Belial's Brood we would be more than happy to help you find"

The Glyphstone
2011-06-07, 10:37 AM
" No, no, we are the GOOD vampires. Now there is this bunch called Belial's Brood we would be more than happy to help you find"

"Devil-worshipping vampires!? Even better, I'll kill them first then come back to finish you!"

Tokuhara
2011-06-07, 10:38 AM

One quick side note: killing heretics during Desert Storm? A heretic is a person of the same faith as you but who you think has falsely modified that faith. Someone who is part of an entirely different faith, or no faith at all, might be an infidel, pagan or heathen respectively, but not a heretic.

Actually, the ST said if I die, I become a Sin-Eater, which IHO is "Better" (I'm unsure, but from my reading are seriously cool)

And as for the whole Heretic thing: He hunted down Catholic soldiers who had adopted parts of the faith of the heathens. I didn't explain that further. And while Catholic, he does respect the Protestants for their Hunters' prowess, but He'd rather stick with his own faith. And what I meant is he has adopted the philosophy that near-humans (Mages, Sin-Eaters) are still able to be saved, whilst "Monsters" (Vampires, Werewolves, Possessed) are beyond hope. Yes, he's crazy, but he does so through a twist of faith, to almost a liberal view of how faith is. Yes, "TECHNICALLY" he's a heretic, but his own group (Knights of St. Stephen of Tuscany) condone this "irrational" side of his faith.

Background for the World we will play:
The world as we know it today is going to Hell in a handbasket. The Secret War between vampires and werewolves has finally surfaced on the city streets. At first, this war was secretive enough to look only like a few random murders, until something happened in the Vampire ranks: a coup. A new Lord of Vampires has risen and is ordering his vampires to systematically attack the werewolves at their sources. And unfortunately, innocent blood is being spilled in the crossfire.

The Catholic church has issued a call for a Ninth Crusade against both sides of this Secret War, to protect the population of Humanity. As such, they are recruiting priests and nuns to face the darkness as Papal Knights: Champions of the Catholic Church. Her Majesty The Queen of England has her Protestant/Anglican soldiers join forces with the Papal Knights to save Humanity from certain annihilation.

The Glyphstone
2011-06-07, 12:32 PM
Lord of Vampires? I guess this is a bit out-of-continuity with the 'standard' WoD, then; Vampires don't have any species-wide hierarchy outside the Prince of a city/region and the ever-present heirarchy of 'I can beat you up, do what I say'. For that matter, there's no secret war between Werewolves and Vampires to begin with - werewolves couldn't care less about bloodsuckers unless they start messing with the spirit world.

It sounds like your ST is running Underworld with NWoD rules, which is plenty cool in its own right.

Tokuhara
2011-06-07, 12:34 PM
Lord of Vampires? I guess this is a bit out-of-continuity with the 'standard' WoD, then; Vampires don't have any species-wide hierarchy outside the Prince of a city/region and the ever-present heirarchy of 'I can beat you up, do what I say'. For that matter, there's no secret war between Werewolves and Vampires to begin with - werewolves couldn't care less about bloodsuckers unless they start messing with the spirit world.

It sounds like your ST is running Underworld with NWoD rules, which is plenty cool in its own right.

He is, sort of. It's more akin to Blade meets Underworld with a dash of Hellsing for good measure

comicshorse
2011-06-07, 01:11 PM
He is, sort of. It's more akin to Blade meets Underworld with a dash of Hellsing for good measure

Hmmm, time to create the rules for UV bullets I think :smallcool:

Tokuhara
2011-06-07, 01:15 PM
Hmmm, time to create the rules for UV bullets I think :smallcool:

ST ruled that UV bullets are too costly to make. He has ruled however that Vampires hate anything sanctified (such as bullets that are hardened in Holy Water, or a "Holy Water Squirt Gun")

The Glyphstone
2011-06-07, 01:30 PM
ST ruled that UV bullets are too costly to make. He has ruled however that Vampires hate anything sanctified (such as bullets that are hardened in Holy Water, or a "Holy Water Squirt Gun")

Ah. That's a very important houserule, since it throws a lot of previous advice out the window (such as my early comment that Vamps shrug off bullets of all kinds). Do holy-water-hardened bullets do Lethal, and actual holy water do Agg?

Tokuhara
2011-06-07, 01:33 PM
Ah. That's a very important houserule, since it throws a lot of previous advice out the window (such as my early comment that Vamps shrug off bullets of all kinds). Do holy-water-hardened bullets do Lethal, and actual holy water do Agg?

That I'm not sure of... All I know is that sanctified objects do extra damage against Vamps, Holy Symbols weaken demons, and silver hurts Werewolves

Pyrophilios
2011-06-07, 01:48 PM
In that case consider investing in the benediction Sanctification of the Blessed Virgin.

Blessing items on the fly is really nice. Creating a permanent holy weapon at the patron's day would possible be overkill ((5 Benediction + 5 Morality +5 Saint's Day bonus +3 ordained priest using sacraments -1 weapon)*5 Rolls= 85 Dice => 28 Successes => 9 points of equipment bonus)
Worth a dot of WP.

That said:

If there's a war on between those two monster races, I would rather try to help each group with information so they can kill each other more effectively. More fun, less dying yourself...

Tokuhara
2011-06-07, 01:57 PM
In that case consider investing in the benediction Sanctification of the Blessed Virgin.

Blessing items on the fly is really nice. Creating a permanent holy weapon at the patron's day would possible be overkill ((5 Benediction + 5 Morality +5 Saint's Day bonus +3 ordained priest using sacraments -1 weapon)*5 Rolls= 85 Dice => 28 Successes => 9 points of equipment bonus)
Worth a dot of WP.

That said:

If there's a war on between those two monster races, I would rather try to help each group with information so they can kill each other more effectively. More fun, less dying yourself...

Again, he's not right in the head. I understand: What he does might as well be suicide. However, the ST says he will try to not outright kill me. And should I die, I will be returned as a Sin-Eater, so I guess that's a plus.

And BTW, the Math is all Greek to me. Can you Barney-fy it for me?

Pyrophilios
2011-06-07, 02:08 PM
Well mad doesn't necessarily mean crazy. If he is already recruiting an converting new members for his cause, it's only a small step up to organize his crusade into a real war with intelligence gathering and outmaneuvering his enemies.

But of course each to his own fun. :smallwink:

There is tremendous satisfaction to be had blasting a bloodsucker apart shortly before he would do the same to you.

Tokuhara
2011-06-07, 02:11 PM
Well mad doesn't necessarily mean crazy. If he is already recruiting an converting new members for his cause, it's only a small step up to organize his crusade into a real war with intelligence gathering and outmaneuvering his enemies.

But of course each to his own fun. :smallwink:

There is tremendous satisfaction to be had blasting a bloodsucker apart shortly before he would do the same to you.

The idea is he preaches to them before he purges them of their sin, then asks God to allow them into Heaven. He believes The Rapture has begun, and thus he must "pave the way" for Christ to successfully return to the realm of the living.

Tokuhara
2011-06-08, 12:44 AM
Any other brilliant ideas? Or is this guy totally boned?

Pyrophilios
2011-06-08, 01:18 AM
It would be easier if you could provide details about your fellow PCs. Hunters run on synergy with each other.

A S&W .40 gun has 2(9 again) as a feature. Remember you can risk WP ones per scene to gain 9 again. This way you can get 8 again for one attack. Best if your dice pool is 10+, otherwise just take the extra dice.

Keep your initiative mod high: Shoot first, win.
Surprise rounds are your friend: Conceal your weapons and nature and use Quickdraw to initiate combat.

The Tell: "Signature - Dismemberment" will come in handy. Few critters can regenerate a severed head. Khukris are useful in this regard.
But maybe you should invest in the "Tolerance for Biology" Merit. "Signature - Vomit all over the crime scene" is not particular cool or smart ;)

Talyn
2011-06-08, 07:12 AM
The idea is he preaches to them before he purges them of their sin, then asks God to allow them into Heaven. He believes The Rapture has begun, and thus he must "pave the way" for Christ to successfully return to the realm of the living.

You know that the Rapture is an American Protestant idea, right? It is no part of any Catholic doctrine anywhere.

Maybe you should ask your ST if you can play a Long Night hunter (for whom the Rapture is a part of their Hunting philosophy) who happens to have access to Benedictions for some reason. You'd have to rename them, of course, since Protestants don't usually invoke saints, but there is no reason you can't have Protestant divine intervention if your ST says it's okay.

Tokuhara
2011-06-08, 01:10 PM
It would be easier if you could provide details about your fellow PCs. Hunters run on synergy with each other.

A S&W .40 gun has 2(9 again) as a feature. Remember you can risk WP ones per scene to gain 9 again. This way you can get 8 again for one attack. Best if your dice pool is 10+, otherwise just take the extra dice.

Keep your initiative mod high: Shoot first, win.
Surprise rounds are your friend: Conceal your weapons and nature and use Quickdraw to initiate combat.

The Tell: "Signature - Dismemberment" will come in handy. Few critters can regenerate a severed head. Khukris are useful in this regard.
But maybe you should invest in the "Tolerance for Biology" Merit. "Signature - Vomit all over the crime scene" is not particular cool or smart ;)

We have a Russian Soldier, me, a French Neurosurgeon, a New York Crime Boss, and a Louisiana Boxer.

And the End of Days/Rapture is from both sides of Christianity

Talyn
2011-06-09, 06:36 AM
End of days, yes. The Rapture, which was an eschatological idea created by the Puritans, is a very specific idea about how the End of Days will come about, and is a purely Protestant phenomenon.

The Wikipedia article on it is fairly dense, but does a good job of explaining the basics and where it came from. Check it out here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture#Doctrinal_history)

Talyn
2011-06-09, 06:38 AM
(double post, sorry)

Pyrophilios
2011-06-09, 07:27 AM
We have a Russian Soldier, me, a French Neurosurgeon, a New York Crime Boss, and a Louisiana Boxer.

Have all of those access to Benedictions, or are they just compact members?

Fox Box Socks
2011-06-09, 07:51 AM
The Long Night don't have Benedictions, but they DO have The Prayer, which gives them a large pool of pseudo Willpower points that can be cashed in for a variety of things.

Not quite as versatile of Benediction, but still damn useful

Tokuhara
2011-06-09, 12:06 PM
Have all of those access to Benedictions, or are they just compact members?

We just happen to be working together. Necessity more than agreement. If we didn't work together, we'd all be dead

Pyrophilios
2011-06-09, 01:37 PM
In other words, you are the only one with supernatural/divine firepower.
Soldier, crime boss and boxer seem to be all front line combatants.
Your ability to heal will certainly come in handy.
If no one else does, you should raise your Manipulation to at least 3 dots.
Not only are you able to perform the Moral Support Tactic as primary actor, but you can also qualify for the merit: Small Unit Tactics (Dogs of War p.39) which allows you to spend a WP while you and all your teammates gain its benefit (your team can their own WP on top of the given bonus).

Tokuhara
2011-06-09, 05:49 PM
In other words, you are the only one with supernatural/divine firepower.
Soldier, crime boss and boxer seem to be all front line combatants.
Your ability to heal will certainly come in handy.
If no one else does, you should raise your Manipulation to at least 3 dots.
Not only are you able to perform the Moral Support Tactic as primary actor, but you can also qualify for the merit: Small Unit Tactics (Dogs of War p.39) which allows you to spend a WP while you and all your teammates gain its benefit (your team can their own WP on top of the given bonus).

The crime boss is more of a "party face"/Bank than a fighter.

WitchSlayer
2011-06-10, 05:45 AM
I have a weird thing about playing religious characters in nWoD. I don't mean to. The first character I played was a catholic street preacher who punched things (not very effective)

Then I created a new character a year or so later who ended up being a nun and a Moros mage (pretty effective, still has a lot of cool for cool sake spells)

I wish you best of luck with your crazy priest, my friend. When worst comes to worst, play what you really want to play and damn if its ineffective. I gave my Moros fighting style: Fencing for flavor reasons for the Abyss' sake.

DO WHAT'S COOL.