PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Big book of Races (PEACH)

Triskavanski
2011-06-06, 07:06 PM
Big Book of Races (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BxPtqo6TmxERYzI3MjBhZTAtOGM5MS00OGUxLWE0ZmQ tMGQ0MjJmMTY0MmE4&hl=en_US)

Yes i know its small right now, but I'll be quickly adding in more races.

Chimera is now replaced with something along the lines of "Counts as Humanoid (chimera)" to avoid letting people dodge things and to not increase the number of humanoid races there is while weakening things like favored enemy.

Rawulf's channel energy functions exactly like a clerics, but only once per day.

Triskavanski
2011-06-06, 08:35 PM
Little Big update (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BxPtqo6TmxERNTljN2VjYWQtMjkyNS00Y2I3LTkyZDM tNTE4Yzg0ZGFkMTBh&hl=en_US)

Dryad
2011-06-07, 01:47 AM
I've only got a few comments so far:
Please use a spell-checker, and specify more on abilities (the type of damage a bite attack usually deals is all three: Bludgeoning, slashing, piercing. However, the Rawulf's bite just says: Grants an attack that deals 1d4 damage. It's not clear as to if the racial ability 'bite' is even a bite attack, nor if it is counted as a secondary attack or not).

For all the rest: I think you should rename the topic. It's not a big book of races as it's gonna be a big book of furry races. (The names are a dead give-away; too cutesy for my personal comfort. :smalltongue:)

I haven't looked much at the balance with regards to ordinary pathfinder races, as I kind of gather that these races aren't intended to go with the ordinary core races.
Keep up the good work; I'm sure there are furries who'll love it. :smallsmile:

Triskavanski
2011-06-07, 05:21 AM
Its still a heavy WIP, hence no spell checker.

Things right now are rough and quick. Like when they magic magic cards and its just a piece of paper with a deft note written on it. I'm going to go back through and finish up things. (See part three.)

Secondly.. what exactly is the problem with "furry" races?

I don't mean to be mean here, but its like if I don't just make Big human, blue human, red human, yellow human races that people go "eww icky, gross."

The first three races are actually named after a race in a fantasy game called Wizardy 8. The lizard race is actually the Latin name for Lizards. Minorus is going to be a race to make a balanced attempted at minotaurs, since just converting the minotaur into a race is no good as they are monstrous humanoids and not humanoids.

Lastly, no, these are intended to be balanced along side core, especially since I'm also going to be using Tiefling, Kobold, Aasimier, Tengu, Gibblie and possibly Damphier. I'm not doing the core races.. because they are the core races, they already have enough covered and paizo can cover them more and more.

The bite is intended to just simple be a normal natural weapon bite attack. I'm being semi-specific right now, so that the general idea is created and before I finish the final product everything is cleaned up to fight against rules lawyering. And as people bring up stuff, provided I could actually get some feed back without having to make 31 different flavors of human, I'll fix my over-sites.

Dryad
2011-06-07, 05:36 AM
Secondly.. what exactly is the problem with "furry" races?

I don't mean to be mean here, but its like if I don't just make Big human, blue human, red human, yellow human races that people go "eww icky, gross."
The names (Felpurr? Rawulf?) are too cutesy for my comfort. Why? Because I associate such things in adults to somewhat disturbing sexual fantasies about perceived innocence. And, of course, because when something has a cutesy name, it can never be taken seriously.
I honestly don't care what the source of a name is; the source of a name adds zero validity to the name.

There's a lot of furries out there, though. People who clearly don't share my distaste for such things. I gave you a compliment, remember?

The bite is intended to just simple be a normal natural weapon bite attack.
That still doesn't tell us anything.

I'm being semi-specific right now, so that the general idea is created and before I finish the final product everything is cleaned up to fight against rules lawyering. If I were you, I'd fix as much stuff as humanly possible while working on it. Of course; you'll still need to revise it (again and again), but revision is boring, and it becomes increasingly easy to fail to see the problem as you start revising more and more.
The more specific the mechanics when you write them out, the better. It will save you tons of work later on.

Triskavanski
2011-06-07, 06:05 AM
The names (Felpurr? Rawulf?) are too cutesy for my comfort. Why? Because I associate such things in adults to somewhat disturbing sexual fantasies about perceived innocence. And, of course, because when something has a cutesy name, it can never be taken seriously.
I honestly don't care what the source of a name is; the source of a name adds zero validity to the name.

There's a lot of furries out there, though. People who clearly don't share my distaste for such things. I gave you a compliment, remember?

Well it wasn't just you, but in another forum the first post I got kinda said something similar basically saying "Are you going to actually add fantasy races, or is this just going to be furry races"

So I'm trying to get to the bottom the case of what is a "fantasy" race.

How would you go about naming things? The 'wipe the face across the keyboard'? I mean like in the case of things like the real name of the grey gnomes.. snifiblyvian or whatever. if they purposely thought to themselves on exactly the spelling of that name..

For me, obviously, I try to the 'take a word that means something and make it sound like a race' such as Equirians. Unfortunately this seems to invoke the idea of disturbing sexual fantasies.

That still doesn't tell us anything.

A normal bite attack. As in a primary bite attack that deals all three damage types for 1d4 points of damage. Just like a eidolon, cept one die smaller.

If I were you, I'd fix as much stuff as humanly possible while working on it. Of course; you'll still need to revise it (again and again), but revision is boring, and it becomes increasingly easy to fail to see the problem as you start revising more and more.
The more specific the mechanics when you write them out, the better. It will save you tons of work later on.

Trust me, I am. I'm currently in the process of developing the entirety of the Felpurr pages. I've now done every favored class bonus and even given a bit towards its fluff.

Developing its alternate racial traits and wondering if the race is under/overpowered as of currently. Also going through the process of redeveloping the proper layout for the pages.

Dryad
2011-06-07, 06:24 AM
So I'm trying to get to the bottom the case of what is a "fantasy" race.
I'd say the most important difference between furry races and anthropomorphic fantasy races is cuteness level. The name 'felpurr' tells me a few things: First, it's feline. Second, it's kind of naughty. Reason being: 'Fel' is negative, while 'Purr' is the sound a cat makes when it is really enjoying a sensation. Purring is also a sound humans make while cuddling, specifically during sex.

The total image is: A busty cat-furry dominatrix with an itsy bitsy waist. Probably pink.

The 'Rawulf' has a few things going on, too. First of all: Raw! The sound of a roar, only cutesified. Then the actual meaning of 'raw,' which is unprocessed. Then, the spelling error on the word 'wolf,' making it a bit more childish through the sound difference. (Like, for instance, the difference between 'thru' and 'through,' or 'u' and 'you.' Never take the slang versions, or their users, seriously.)

Your reference to the word 'svirfneblin' is understandable; there is no known etymological source for the 'svirf'-prefix (according to Wikipedia, which is never a reliable source), But still, you've also answered your own question.
First: Yes, there are mythological sources around the world that might offer names. You could also use altered versions of words you know, translate them to another language, alter the spelling slightly, etcetera. The Equirian is a good example of this.
Second: Sound is important. And here's the catch: To make it sound realistic, it has to sound somewhat dull. If it can sound just as dull as 'human,' 'horse,' 'cat,' 'dog' etcetera, then you're on to something.

Example: Change the name 'Felpurr' to 'Velper.' This changes the sound only slightly, but the change in spelling should be sufficient to remove the yiff.

Triskavanski
2011-06-07, 06:28 AM
Great. now you ruined the whole wizardy 8 game for me. :(

Well I drudge up Lupin then for these rawulfs and Kincade for the felpurrs.

Triskavanski
2011-06-07, 02:06 PM
There.. (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0BxPtqo6TmxERMGNiMTk0MDQtNDJhYS00NmMzLWFhMDY tNjAxNzgxMzQyZThl&hl=en_US) and if they are still too cutesy, I've got a few other things to fall back on for them.

Most spelling for Kincade and Lupin should be taken care of, and I hopefully got the wording right now for the bite attack.

Right now, my main focus is on Kincade however as I intend to be play testing one soon.

Solaris
2011-06-07, 03:25 PM
Ulf is Old German for Wolf. I bring this up because there's already a Lupin race in D&D, unless you're looking to simply update them for PF.