PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e NPC PrC] Devout (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-06-06, 07:10 PM
Wizard: Done. Druid: Done. Cleric: Here we go. Psion: Maybe tomorrow.

Devout
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/050/a/1/Prayer_by_airshiptango.jpg
"I have faith, and so I will endure."

-Jaered, Devout of Pelor

Clerics are the sworn servants of the gods. They dedicate their entire lives to their following and through vast wisdom channel godly miracles that shake the very foundations of the earth. And then there's the Devout. This is your common person who is faithful to their patron, but they have work to do. Worshipping the gods is just fine, but the crops need sowing the the cow needs milking. Life goes on. But the gods do not forget the occasional prayer and judge not on the fact that these are busy people trying their best to get by. So they send a little aid here and there.

Becoming a Devout
Becoming a Devout is simply a matter of being faithful to a singular god and their edicts. Pray and make offerings when there's time. Do not blaspheme. Follow the dogma. Observe holy days and respect Clerics. Life goes on, but there's something to be said for doing your part for the church. Most Devouts are ordinary people that are particularly good followers of a deity and are rewarded because of it.

Entry Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 3, Any other skill 6
Special: Must be a devout follower of a god and must be within one step of their alignment

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (religion), Profession, and Spellcraft.
Skill Points each level: 2 + Intelligence Modifier

Hit Dice: d4

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st

+0

+0

+0

+2
Blessing of the Patron

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+3
Worshiper's Reward

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+3
Channel

4th

+2

+1

+1

+4
Worshiper's Prize

5th

+2

+1

+1

+4
True Worship

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Devout gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Blessing of the Patron: The Devout pays heed to the Patron and the Patron pays heed to the Devout. In thanks of their worship, the Patron offers the Devout access to the Granted Power of one of their domains. They treat their Devout level as their Cleric level for powers based on this.

Worshiper's Reward: A minor miracle here and there can do quite a lot to ensure that one remains faithful. And faithful followers is always a good thing. The Patron gifts the Devout with the use of a pair of Orisons to reward their devotion and act as an example to others. The Devout selects two 0-level spells from the Cleric spell list. They may now use each of these once per day as a spell-like ability with the save being based off of their Wisdom and their effective CL equal to their Devout level. If they ever become a Cleric, levels in Cleric stack with levels in Devout for determining the CL.

Channel: Depending on the alignment of the Patron, they generally want to spread either positive or negative energy into the Material Plane. Pelor would much rather see people healed than harmed. Hextor would like the converse. The Devout gains the ability to replace one or both of their daily uses of their Rewards with either Cure Minor Wounds or Inflict Minor Wounds based on the alignment of the deity. If the deity is neutral, the Devout much choose between these two but may not later change this decision. The ability applies to Worshiper's Prize as well, but instead the spells are replaced with Cure Light Wounds or Inflict Light Wounds.

Worshiper's Prize: The Devout at this point is an ardent follower of their god and has made great strides in gathering others into the fold with their quiet leadership. The Patron feels that it is once again time to reward the Devout's efforts. The Devout gains the ability to cast a single first level spell from the Cleric spell list and the first spell from the domain chosen from Blessing each once per day at a CL equal to their Devout level as a spell-like ability. If they ever become a Cleric, levels in Cleric stack with levels in Devout for determining the CL.

True Worship: Despite whatever they were before, the Devout is now entirely devoted to the worship of their deity. They are gifted with access to a full repertoire of lesser miracles to do their Patron's work down on the Material Plane. The Devout gains two 0-level spell slots a 1st-level slot, and a second 1st-level slot which may only be filled by the first spell in the Domain chosen from Blessing. These are in addition to the spells that they've mastered. The caster level of these spells is equal to their Devout level.

Note: It may or may not be true that Pelor is in fact Evil in which case Channel would be used for Inflict spells, not Cure spells. See here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor,_the_Burning_Hate) for more information.

And there you have it folks. At this point it may seem a little... uninspired. I'm really just following a pattern here. May as well finish though. I find it interesting that the PrC based on the casting class with the highest HD has the lowest out of the three thusfar... Kinda weird, but I don't see why this individual would be particularly tough. They're a devout farmer, not a war-priest. As always, suggestions welcome.

PoorHobo
2011-06-06, 08:21 PM
Needs synergy with the adept.

Welknair
2011-06-06, 08:25 PM
Needs synergy with the adept.

This is made as an entrance to Cleric, not a PrC for Adepts. You'll notice that the Mage's Assistant has no synergy with the Adept. Because it isn't meant to.

PoorHobo
2011-06-06, 09:12 PM

This is made as an entrance to Cleric, not a PrC for Adepts. You'll notice that the Mage's Assistant has no synergy with the Adept. Because it isn't meant to.

The Adept is a divine class, why would I expect a mages assitant to have synergy with it? But thank you for pointing that out, it was hard to tell behind all that snark.

I guess it was unrealistc to think a divine NPC PrC might have synergy with the only divine NPC base class.

Welknair
2011-06-06, 09:34 PM
The Adept is a divine class, why would I expect a mages assitant to have synergy with it? But thank you for pointing that out, it was hard to tell behind all that snark.

I guess it was unrealistc to think a divine NPC PrC might have synergy with the only divine NPC base class.

Sorry bout that, that was uncouth of me.

Adept does cast some Wizard-only spells... But yeah.

If I were to make an NPC PrC that was meant for Adepts, it would likely include a spellcasting progression.