PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On An Omni-Caster...Feed-Back Needed!

RaviStrife
2011-06-07, 01:38 AM
So! I LOVE MAGIC. There is nothing I enjoy more than having both a massive spell list, and an incredible amount of Spells Per Day.
The following is a build based around that idea- Exploiting both Arcane and Divine Magics.
Human-
Level // Class // Feats
1 Sorc1 PrecociousApprentice-Grants Single 2ndlvl spell/TwinSpell
2 CloisCleric1* Extra Turning/Scribe Scroll Via Domains(Undeath/Runic)
3 CloisCleric2 *Divine MetaMagic : Twin Spell
4 CloisCleric3 Use CC knowledge for Nature. PreReq for Geomancer
5 MysticTheurge1 Advances both classes' effective levels
6 Geomancer1 * Ocular Spell
7 Geomancer2 Geomancer Advances ANY Classes effective levels.
8 Geomancer3 Therefore, choose Mystic Theurge
9 Geomancer4 * DMM : Ocular Spell
10 Geomancer5
11 Geomancer6
12 Geomancer7 Practiced Spellcaster : Mystic Theurge (pushes each
13 Geomancer8 effective caster level to same as character level)
14 Geomancer9
15 Geomancer10 Extra Turning
16 MysticTheurge2
17 MysticTheurge3
18 MysticTheurge4 Extra Turning
19 MysticTheurge5
20 MysticTheurge6
Ok. So theres the concept. Nasty combos/benefits are as follows-
No Arcane Spell Failure : Geomancers do not get penalized for ASF
Divine MetaMagic: Twin/Ocular. Sickest. Thing. Evah. Costs 5 turn attempts to Twin something+ 3 to turn a touch attack into a Eye-Laser. Harm at CL 15+2 Twinned Ocular Metamagics (Total 16, easily Doable with a Nightstick) Does SIX-HUNDRED damage , 4 Will saves to reduce just half of each 150 Damage hit. They all trigger Massive Damage Saves. Just walk around for 8 Hours a day with your EYE LASERZ set to KILL.
Full Caster Levels: Finally at 12 we have room to take Practiced spellcaster. Applied to Mystic Theurge this effectively brings both caster levels back to full.
Crazy Spell Versatility= Cast TrueStrike (+20 to hit) Prior to unleasing the Eye-Lazerz. Only Downside is you get 19 Effective levels of cleric (3 9th level spells at 20) but only 17 Levels of Sorc (no 9th level spells). This could be overcome by playing a Wizard if I didn't hate them.
Tier 1 Level Utility. Obviously you can't have everything prepped at once. But scribe scroll at level 2 (bonus feat from Runic domain) certainly helps. Just keep a copy of whatever is lacking from your MASSIVE repertoire.
I would LOVE some advice on how to fully cheese this out- Not sure where else to go with this. Thanks for reading!

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-07, 01:44 AM
As far as advice on how to cheese it out goes, there are at least two build out there that achieve Triple 9 casting: 9th level Arcane spells, Divine spells, and Psionic powers.

RaviStrife
2011-06-07, 01:50 AM
Links! I demand them! =-D

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-07, 01:53 AM
I don't have them handy. Check google, or the search function on the forum.

RaviStrife
2011-06-07, 01:58 AM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19864206/Tripple_Cheesebuger_with_Onions_(3*9th_Caster)
Please feel free to view said magnificence. =- / I don't get how Ur-Priest is so popular for the spellcasting progression. It's not full-caster, Is it?? O.o

Whoa. That's...some intense progression. Bears further thought.

Endarire
2011-06-07, 05:13 AM
Ur-Priest is a full caster. With it, you can get L9 spells in 9 levels.

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-07, 05:16 AM
9 levels of the PrC. I feel like saying "9th level spells in 9 levels" implies "9th level spells by 9th level".

FMArthur
2011-06-07, 08:26 AM
7 Geomancer2 Geomancer Advances ANY Classes effective levels.
8 Geomancer3 Therefore, choose Mystic Theurge

NOPE. :smallsigh:

Darth Stabber
2011-06-07, 08:35 AM
NOPE. :smallsigh:

agreed. That does not, infact, work because it advances a particular spell progression. Mystic Theurge does not have a spell progression. Certain readings might make it work, but very few GMs will accept that reading, most will chuck a DMG at your head. I would choose the DMG2, but that is merely personal preference (since I only have a PDF of the DMG1).

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-07, 08:45 AM
Yea, Geomancer doesn't let you advance both sides, even if you have Mystic Theurge thrown in there, because it doesn't have a spell progression (like Ur Priest), it advances someone else's (or in MT's case, two someone else's) spell progression.

Most fun way is Bard (variant with Fort saves)/Sublime Chord/UrPriest/MT. 9's on both side, if you are careful. You theurge the Sublime Chord and UrPriest progression.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-06-07, 08:46 AM
If you really, really, REALLY want to to be able to cast everything, I can't help put post the obligitory link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11095170)...

If you just want to be able to cast arcane and divine then I'd suggest a strait wizard/Ur-Priest/MT build. It's really the simplest way to get 9ths on both the divine and arcane side and a 3rd party feat called Lost Traditions you can change ur-priest casting to being int based so your totally SAD. I've had lots of fun with my Wiz/Ur-Priest/MT and they are quite the caster...you still have Arcane spell failure but in all honesty you don't need armor with that kind of magical power and if you really feel the need to cast in armor then there are still ways to do so ASF is pretty easy to work around.

Flickerdart
2011-06-07, 09:52 AM
600 damage at 20th level, with four saves and such high resource expenditure, is not stellar.

If you want all the spells, just go Spell to Power Erudite. As long as you take the conservative reading of the class (11 UPD, not 11 UPD per level) it's actually less powerful than an equivalent wizard. If you're feeling adventurous, an Erudite build with Psychic Theurge and Ur-Priest will also give you divine casting on the side, for when you really need to stick it to someone and don't feel like using your unique powers per day on lame spells.