PDA

View Full Version : Vampiric... mosquitoes?

Heliomance
2011-06-07, 01:40 AM
Long story short, I'm running a campaign where everything - and I do mean everything - that dies is coming back undead. I figured it would be both highly appropriate and amusing if the party encountered a few vampiric mosquitoes. Only trouble is, I'm not sure how best to do it. Should I just randomly give someone a point of con drain every few minutes and see how long it takes them to work it out? Create a swarm with con drain on the swarm attack? What?

Bhu
2011-06-07, 01:48 AM
make up a regular mosquito swarm as a monster, and apply a modified version of the vampire template to it.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4195079&postcount=92

I have a vampiric vermin template here if it helps give ideas.

Fizban
2011-06-07, 02:53 AM
It's not the con damage you need to worry about: it's the energy drain. Random negative levels on anyone who didn't wear bug repellant? So evil :smallbiggrin: Also: mosquitoes summoning backs of wolves.

But basically what Bhu said, Just stat up mosquitoes however you want, then add whatever parts of the template you want. Single mosquitoes can't even really deal damage, so vamp versions shouldn't be threatening. A full swarm would be painful, but the standard swarms don't multiply their special abilities, just make them a bit bigger, so it wouldn't be instant negative level death (although it would still be horribly mean).

BladeofOblivion
2011-06-07, 02:58 AM
I'm more worried about the Stirges. And Leeches. *Shudder*

Lord Vukodlak
2011-06-07, 04:07 AM
Long story short, I'm running a campaign where everything - and I do mean everything - that dies is coming back undead. I figured it would be both highly appropriate and amusing if the party encountered a few vampiric mosquitoes. Only trouble is, I'm not sure how best to do it. Should I just randomly give someone a point of con drain every few minutes and see how long it takes them to work it out? Create a swarm with con drain on the swarm attack? What?

Do you have Librus Mortis? the bloodmote cloud is a 10HD undead swarm of mosquitoes. And its swarm attack deals additional con damage. Undead Swarms however are highly vunerable to turning. They count as only half there HD for the turning check and damage due to being made up of many smaller creatures.

Innis Cabal
2011-06-07, 04:22 AM
Do you have Librus Mortis? the bloodmote cloud is a 10HD undead swarm of mosquitoes. And its swarm attack deals additional con damage. Undead Swarms however are highly vunerable to turning. They count as only half there HD for the turning check and damage due to being made up of many smaller creatures.

They're also frustratingly difficult to kill otherwise. But yes, Vampire Mosquito swarms are printed

Jeebers
2011-07-20, 12:40 AM
Waitasec.... Aren't Minnesota's state bird ALREADY vampiric?????:smallbiggrin:

Admiral Squish
2011-07-20, 12:45 AM
Waitasec.... Aren't Minnesota's state bird ALREADY vampiric?????:smallbiggrin:

Heyheyhey! The mosquito is MICHIGAN'S state bird, thank you very much. Well, that or the black fly. Nasty painful biters...

Eurus
2011-07-20, 01:21 AM
It's not the con damage you need to worry about: it's the energy drain. Random negative levels on anyone who didn't wear bug repellant? So evil :smallbiggrin: Also: mosquitoes summoning backs of wolves.

But basically what Bhu said, Just stat up mosquitoes however you want, then add whatever parts of the template you want. Single mosquitoes can't even really deal damage, so vamp versions shouldn't be threatening. A full swarm would be painful, but the standard swarms don't multiply their special abilities, just make them a bit bigger, so it wouldn't be instant negative level death (although it would still be horribly mean).

Ha, that amused the heck out of me to imagine. You swat a mosquito, it turns into a puff of smoke... then the howling starts. :smallamused: