PDA

View Full Version : Pirate King [3.5e] PEACH

Torgarn
2011-06-07, 06:29 AM
Pirate King
A true master of the seas, a pirate king is master of improvised combat aboard ships. A pirate king inspires his followers to obey his every command through acts of derring-do and reckless carelessness. Only truly ever at home on a ship a pirate king's domain is his ship and anyone who seeks to challenge him there had better be ready.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/godzilla5939/Old_Pirate.jpg

Requirements
To qualify to become a pirate king, a character must fulfill all the following critera:

Alignment:Any Chaotic
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills:Balance 5 Ranks, Bluff 8 Ranks, Climb 5 Ranks, Profession (Sailor) 5 ranks, Tumble 5 Ranks
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Leadership
Special: Must have gained a ship worth at least 8,000 gold through some form of rakish behavior. Theft, gambling and murder are all examples of acceptable ways to obtain a ship.

Class Skills
The Pirate King's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Geography) Int, Listen (Wis), Profession (Sailor), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis) Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d10

Pirate King
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Rakish Defense +1, Unfettered (Full Round Action)

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Rakish Defense +2, Luck of the Winds +1, Fencing +1

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Rakish Defense +3, Unfettered (Standard Action)

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Rakish Defense +4, Fencing +2, Shipson

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Rakish Defense +5, Luck of the Winds +2, Unfettered (Move Action), Master of Ships

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+2|Rakish Defense +6, Fencing +3, Breath of the Ocean

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+2|Rakish Defense +7, Unfettered (Swift Action), Mad Charge

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+2|Rakish Defense +8, Luck of the Winds +3, Fencing +4

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+3|Rakish Defense +9, Unfettered (Immediate Action)

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+3|Rakish Defense +10, Fencing +5, Unfettered (Constant) Lord of the Ocean[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The pirate king is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, but not with any type of armor or shield.

Rakish Defense (Ex) When not wearing armor or using a shield and wielding only a single one-handed weapon, a pirate king adds a bonus of +1/class level as a dodge bonus to AC.

Unfettered (Su) A pirate king's spirit is free as the ocean itself. At level 1 he becomes able to use the spell freedom of movement as a supernatural ability at-will as a full round action. At level 3 this becomes a standard action, at level 5 a move action, at level 7 a swift action and at level 9 an immediate action. At level 10 the pirate king is constantly under the effect of a freedom of movement spell. When using this ability your caster level is equal to your pirate king lass level.

Luck of the Winds (Ex) At second level a pirate king gains a +1 untyped bonus to any roll during the day 1/day per class level. This bonus increases to +2 at level 5 and +3 at level 8.

Fencing (Ex) At second level a pirate king gains +1/2 class levels luck bonus to attack and damage rolls when using a single one-handed weapon in combat.

Crewmaster (Su) At 3rd level, a pirate king gains the ability to inspire his crew to acts of great courage and skill. He gains the Bardic Music class abilities of a bard 2 levels lower than his pirate king class levels. He uses his abilities by shouting out at and encouraging his crew and uses a bluff check instead of a perform check. He may use these abilities 1/day for every 2 class levels he has. This ability counts as the bardic music class feature for purposes of qualifying for prestige classes. If he has levels of another class that grant bardic music abilities, these levels stack for the purposes of determining his bardic music abilities as well as how many times per day they are used instead of granting new abilities.

Shipson (Ex) At 4th level, a pirate king gains a swim speed and climb speed equal to his base land speed. He also gains the ability to breathe water as he already breathes air.

Master of Ships (Ex) At 5th level, a pirate king chooses a number of skills equal to his intelligence modifier that he may take ten with despite stress or other circumstances that may have prevented him from doing so. These skills must be selected from the following list: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Sleight of Hand, Tumble or Use Rope. On the skills you choose you also get a +5 bonus while using them on a ship.

Breath of the Ocean (Su) At level 6, a pirate king gains a breath weapon that shoots water. It does 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every pirate king level. Using this ability is a standard action.

Mad Charge (Ex) At level 7, a pirate king gains the ability to move with reckless abandon with no penalties. He can move over difficult terrain at his full speed with no penalty. If he takes a charge action, he can move up to twice his speed, though he doesn't need to move in a straight line.

Lord of the Ocean (Su) At level 10 a pirate king has attuned himself to ocean. The ocean loves him as a son and carries him safely in it's womb. If a pirate king should die while fighting at sea, his body melts into the oceans spray. Three days later, he springs from the ocean, fully formed and alive, raised as if by a True Resurrection Spell.

Morph Bark
2011-06-07, 06:34 AM
Under Rakish Defense you talk about duelists rather than pirate kings. I also find it highly curious to find a Pirate King PrC when my current campaign and campaign journal are titled Born to be Pirate Kings.

How long does the freedom of movement last?

JoshuaZ
2011-06-07, 10:21 AM
You may want to specify which abilities are (ex) and which are (su). I'm guessing for example that Lord of the Ocean is (su).

More specific issues:

The pirate king is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, an no armor or shields.

"an" should be "and". You may want to use the standard wording for this, something like "but not with any type of armor or shield."

Profession(Sailor), Knowledge(Geography), Intimidate and Survival should probably be class skills.

I would think that Rakish defense would still apply when one was wearing only light armor if one were proficient in it. Or maybe get only have the bonus in that context? On the other hand, +10 to AC is a lot, so it isn't necessary.

With the exception of Lord of the Ocean, none of the abilities actually connect directly to ships or water (aside from the swim bonus).

Maybe consider giving them a specific bonus to balance and jump checks made while on ships? And maybe a bonus to Survival checks related to oceans and coastal environments? And maybe a similar bonus to Knowledge(geography) checks?

I would also sort of guess that a Pirate King would have some ability to sneak attack?

I'm also concerned that Lord of the Ocean may be too powerful. You get it at level 15 (if you take the PRC at the earliest possible point) and basically won't die for a very long time as long as one stays near the water. That seems pretty strong.

Torgarn
2011-06-07, 05:52 PM
Under Rakish Defense you talk about duelists rather than pirate kings. I also find it highly curious to find a Pirate King PrC when my current campaign and campaign journal are titled Born to be Pirate Kings.

How long does the freedom of movement last?

Was originally working on a duelist fix, turned into something else, fixed. Freedom of movement clarified, your CL for it is equal to your pirate king level, giving you ten minutes per pirate king level.

You may want to specify which abilities are (ex) and which are (su). I'm guessing for example that Lord of the Ocean is (su).

More specific issues:

"an" should be "and". You may want to use the standard wording for this, something like "but not with any type of armor or shield."

Profession(Sailor), Knowledge(Geography), Intimidate and Survival should probably be class skills.

Once again, this was a result of this originally being a duelist fix that changed into something else. Also added sailor to the pre-reqs.

I would think that Rakish defense would still apply when one was wearing only light armor if one were proficient in it. Or maybe get only have the bonus in that context? On the other hand, +10 to AC is a lot, so it isn't necessary.

The idea of rakish defense came to me while watching rob roy actually. They were able to fight without armor and it looked cool. I thought that that should be viable so I made it work like that.

With the exception of Lord of the Ocean, none of the abilities actually connect directly to ships or water (aside from the swim bonus).

The idea of mad charge is to be able to move over the somewhat odd terrain of a ship unimpeded. Shipson is meant to give you more mobility options on the ship and at sea. I see your point though and may add another active ability, or replace one that already exists.

Maybe consider giving them a specific bonus to balance and jump checks made while on ships? And maybe a bonus to Survival checks related to oceans and coastal environments? And maybe a similar bonus to Knowledge(geography) checks?

Good idea. Added to master of ships.

I would also sort of guess that a Pirate King would have some ability to sneak attack?

This guy was meant to be more of a mobility fighter than a sneaky guy. I considered it at first, but decided against it.

I'm also concerned that Lord of the Ocean may be too powerful. You get it at level 15 (if you take the PRC at the earliest possible point) and basically won't die for a very long time as long as one stays near the water. That seems pretty strong.

I agree that it is powerful, but really any full caster is still more powerful, giving a melee character a nice bonus seems fair.

Torgarn
2011-06-08, 10:02 AM
Added a new ability, Breath of the Ocean.

Elfstone
2011-06-08, 05:25 PM
Looks good. Small typo in the description of unfettered. Has an I infront of the wor.d

Torgarn
2011-06-08, 08:32 PM
Thanks, fixed.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-08, 08:41 PM
*personally* for whats its worth I'd give them some spellcasting-like progression with [water] descriptor powers.
and

your avatar is the kewlest stick avatar I've seen.

Torgarn
2011-06-08, 08:51 PM
Spellcasting seems like a bit much with their 6+int skill points and full BaB

edit: I also enjoy my avatar.

edit 2: I think I'm going to have to homebrew a Water based Discipline for ToB to go with this class now. Look forward to it.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-08, 11:01 PM
Spellcasting seems like a bit much with their 6+int skill points and full BaB

edit: I also enjoy my avatar.

edit 2: I think I'm going to have to homebrew a Water based Discipline for ToB to go with this class now. Look forward to it.

"Spellcasting" is much, but I meant more [water] spell-like abilities or similar.