PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt solo advice (Crusader//Factotum)

Sir_Chivalry
2011-06-07, 08:42 AM
My girlfriend is trying her hand at DMing a solo game with me, and I was wondering if anyone has advice.

Alternate question, is Crusader//Factotum a good combo?

the_archduke
2011-06-07, 10:43 AM
Warblade//Factotum is stronger, but your idea would probably be fine

Sir_Chivalry
2011-06-07, 10:47 AM
Warblade//Factotum is stronger, but your idea would probably be fine

Indeed it is. But is there any way to make the Crusader//Factotum thing work?

Incanur
2011-06-07, 10:58 AM
Crusader//factotum works by default. It's a little MAD, but that's no biggie. Two awesome tier-3 classes make for a solid gestalt. I'd suggest focusing on Int for factotum abilities and skill points.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-06-07, 10:59 AM
Crusader//factotum works by default. It's a little MAD, but that's no biggie. Two awesome tier-3 classes make for a solid gestalt. I'd suggest focusing on Int for factotum abilities and skill points.

Ya, the maneuvers can make up for lower physical stats

Pechvarry
2011-06-07, 12:26 PM
Could always go Warblade//Factotum and replace one/both the classes with Eternal Blade for Devoted Spirit access. Even better if you convince your girlfriend it's not fair for only elves to get blade guides.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-06-07, 12:39 PM
Could always go Warblade//Factotum and replace one/both the classes with Eternal Blade for Devoted Spirit access. Even better if you convince your girlfriend it's not fair for only elves to get blade guides.

Had a conversation along those lines.

I like the Eternal Blade a lot. Like the Revenant Blade too. Only issue with the second one is the lack of gelling with a crusader build (RB works well for charging w/ a double scimitar, Crusader works well with a reach weapon and attacks of opportunity)

Perhaps, since I'm being given a spellcasting companion who could most likely take care of Knowledge checks (Cleric//Wizard or something), it might do me well to reconsider my build. I like the crusader for it's lockdown capabilities and intimidation synergy. What would be a good way to make this work?

I want to play a generally nice adventurer, as I'm mostly DMing villains the rest of the time.

Draz74
2011-06-07, 03:04 PM
If you're starting at Level 1, it's worth pointing out that the Crusader is pretty much the hardest class to kill at that level. So that's a point in favor of keeping it.

Don't get trapped thinking that Crusader has to do the reach weapon/AoO thing, though. It's a much more flexible class than that. It's one of the better shield-users in the game (although admittedly some of the best shield tricks are worthless in a solo campaign), and can make a nasty charger build as well, especially if you combine it with Eternal Blade and/or polymorph cheese (from the Factotum side).

Salanmander
2011-06-07, 03:21 PM
If you're starting at Level 1, it's worth pointing out that the Crusader is pretty much the hardest class to kill at that level. So that's a point in favor of keeping it.

Don't get trapped thinking that Crusader has to do the reach weapon/AoO thing, though. It's a much more flexible class than that. It's one of the better shield-users in the game (although admittedly some of the best shield tricks are worthless in a solo campaign), and can make a nasty charger build as well, especially if you combine it with Eternal Blade and/or polymorph cheese (from the Factotum side).

On the other hand, factotum is an /insanely/ good addition to a trip build, since it gets +int to strength checks.

Draz74
2011-06-07, 03:41 PM
On the other hand, factotum is an /insanely/ good addition to a trip build, since it gets +int to strength checks.

Good point.