PDA

View Full Version : I need an odd Psion build

Qwertystop
2011-06-07, 10:59 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for a build for a Psion. Race would be the MM I Pixie, with a few alterations. Specifically, I am going to drop all the stat bonuses other than a +2 to INT, and will also drop the special arrows, low-light vision, DR, and SR. This is in an attempt to lower the LA. The fluff is that they pretend to be a little magic doll-shaped trinket, and then use their powers to help whoever it was that bought/found them. Maybe they are under a Geas or something to explain why they are doing this, I haven't really worked out the details. The point is that I want a good Psion build for support and similar. Probably a Nomad. No homebrew.

Keld Denar
2011-06-07, 11:04 AM
Nomad's are decent...but there aren't a WHOLE lot of really good powers. Shaper, Telepath, Egoist, and Kineticist tend to be the more popular specialties.

A good idea is to spread out your powers. You don't need 15 ways to say "Xd6 damage in one of 4 delicious flavors". You need 2 or 3. Everything else should be used to branch out and increase the number of non-combat encounters to can deal with on any given day. Consider a lot of "broad" powers that are versatile, such as Psionic Minor Creation, etc.

Also, don't be afraid to poach powers from other lists using Expanded Knowledge. Its the one thing that Psionics did right.

Try coming up with a list of powers and feats, and we'll critique from there.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-07, 11:11 AM
This sounds like an excellent time for the many uses of control body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm), particularly with a strong Int race. The problem with pixie is that you can't use the power on yourself, though a reasonable interpretation of the power lets it work on any creature with roughly human shape--something a pixie has.

Qwertystop
2011-06-07, 11:17 AM
I said Nomad because i like the idea of the party's idiot barbarian telling everyone to touch the magic dolly, they humor him, and then they are all suddenly teleported somewhere. It could be any type of Psion though.

The SRD is blocked on this computer, what are Expanded Knowledge and Control Body?

Also, I've never been clear on the Psion's specializing in a discipline, is it essentially "Pick a category. You can only ever use powers from that category"?

Fax Celestis
2011-06-07, 11:21 AM
No. There's a general 'all psions can learn these' list, and then there are discipline-only powers.

Expanded Knowledge:

Expanded Knowledge [Psionic]
You learn another power.

Prerequisites
Manifester level 3rd.

Benefit
Add to your powers known one additional power of any level up to one level lower than the highest-level power you can manifest. You can choose any power, including powers from another discipline’s list or even from another class’s list.

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, you learn one new power at any level up to one less than the highest-level power you can manifest.

Control Body:

Control Body
Psychokinesis
Level: Kineticist 4
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One Medium or smaller creature with humanoid physiology
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 7

You psychokinetically control the actions of any humanoid (including undead or outsiders with a humanoid physiology) that is within range and to which you have line of sight. Control body doesn’t require mental contact with the subject, since you are actually forcing limb movements independent of the target’s mind. You can force the subject to stand up, sit down, walk, turn around, and so on, but operating the vocal cords is too difficult. You can also hold the subject immobile, rendering it helpless. You cannot force the subject to manifest powers, cast spells, or use any special ability that is not a function of just its body movements. If you lose line of sight to the subject, the effect of this power ends.

If you force the subject to engage in combat, its attack bonus is equal to your base attack bonus + your Intelligence bonus, and its bonus on damage rolls is equal to your Intelligence bonus. A subject of this power cannot make attacks of opportunity. The subject gains no benefit to Armor Class from its Dexterity, but it does gain a bonus to its AC equal to your Intelligence bonus.

Although the subject’s body is under your control, the subject’s mind is not. Creatures capable of taking purely mental actions (such as manifesting powers) can do so.

Augment
For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power can affect a target one size category larger.

Qwertystop
2011-06-07, 11:23 AM
So how would using Control Body on myself be useful, if it was allowed?

Amphetryon
2011-06-07, 11:26 AM
So how would using Control Body on myself be useful, if it was allowed?

Instant INT to AC bonus, to start. Debatable whether said control would prevent you from being Held and similar; probably not, but check with the DM.

Qwertystop
2011-06-07, 11:32 AM
Instant INT to AC bonus, to start. Debatable whether said control would prevent you from being Held and similar; probably not, but check with the DM.

But doesn't it reduce the actions I can take per round? Since I have to Concentrate to keep it going?

Keld Denar
2011-06-07, 12:48 PM
Nothing the Solicit Psicrystal power can't fix. Your pet rock concentrates on the spell and controls you to do everything you'd normally do.

Fax Celestis
2011-06-07, 01:28 PM

Immediate Int to AC, to hit, and to damage. It's either instant gish or FFT Charm, your call.

Qwertystop
2011-06-07, 02:43 PM
You said giving a small list of powers wanted might be useful. Here are some that seemed interesting, from a brief SRD skim:
Ones I really want:
Missive (or Mass Missive): Since the character is pretending to be a magic doll, for whatever reason, this would allow limited communication without breaking the ruse.
My Light: The character is now a pixie pretending to be a magic doll who is also a flashlight!
Entangling Ectoplasm: And it shoots goop!

Ones I'd like, but aren't as imporant:
Skate
Death Urge
Deja Vu (I can't type accents with my keyboard): Works great with Death Urge.

I was thinking a Shaper, after re-looking at the lists, both for Astral Construct (the doll makes more dolls!) and for the various abilities that launch goop (Ectoplasmic Coocoon, the mass version, quintessence), as they fit with my reason for Entangling Ectoplasm.

klemdakherzbag
2011-06-07, 03:30 PM
Or as a shaper you could make your 'doll' some power armor from the astral construct power

Keld Denar
2011-06-07, 04:44 PM
Shaper is pretty awesome. Pretty much the BEST psionic discipline if you disregard blatent (Greater) Metamorphasis abuse and the entire Thrallherd PrC. I highly suggest Psionic Minor Creation. Its pretty much amazing. Just don't do the Black Lotus Extract trick...that one won't win you any friends. Also, Crystal Swarm is pretty potent as an attack, and has the OHHHH SHINEY vibe.

Missive is...eh. Mindlink is better, from the Telepath list. Poach it either with Hidden Talent at 1st level or with Expanded Knowledge at 3rd+.

You WANT a pet rock. Trust me. Get one. Get the one that gives +2 Initative. That's pretty much the best pet rock you could hope for.

Other than that, you have a pretty good list, to start with. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Also, I think there is a Psion Handbook floating around if you look.

Here it is. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1036.0)

Qwertystop
2011-06-08, 03:44 PM
As mentioned before, I would be using a weakened version of the Pixie. The normal one's LA is 4, and it gets:

-4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.

Small size

Land speed 20, Fly speed 60 (good).

Low-light vision.

+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
Dodge and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats.
+1 natural armor bonus.
Various SLA
Damage reduction 10/cold iron, greater invisibility (permanent but suppressible), spell resistance equal to 15 + class levels.

How much LA do you think I could bring it down to if I reduced it to just:
+2 INT
Small size
Land speed 20, Fly speed 40 (good)
Greater Invisiblity (permanent but suppressible)

Qwertystop
2011-06-09, 05:22 PM
Oh, also, what if I put a fear-imposed limitation of being paralyzed whenever he/she notices someone looking at him/her? Ultra-stage-fright!

Cerlis
2011-06-09, 05:36 PM
hmmm shaper.....imagine your astral construct taking the shape of a giant rag doll. or giant gummy bear.