PDA

View Full Version : (Image fixed...) 89 cent delicious potion bottles.

Pika...
2011-06-07, 01:45 PM
So, I went to Walmart and got some of those 89cent sports drinks that are shaped like soccer balls and baseballs:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/89centpotionbottles.jpg

Just used an exo-knife to carefully rip off the plastic wrapping. And tada! Magical potions you can actually drink.

I just have no idea what they are potions of...:smallconfused:

Lateral
2011-06-07, 02:58 PM
Sounds cool.

...Umm, the image is broken.

Zaranthan
2011-06-07, 04:00 PM
You can't link images from your email. Upload it to a site like Imageshack or Photobucket.

Luckmann
2011-06-07, 07:01 PM
Oh Pika, you fail at the internet. :smalltongue: This is akin to those 60-something people that try to hotlink their images from C:\Users\Maude Fogglebottom\Images\kittyCheeseburgersofunny.jpg :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2011-06-07, 07:11 PM
Oh Pika, you fail at the internet. :smalltongue: This is akin to those 60-something people that try to hotlink their images from C:\Users\Maude Fogglebottom\Images\kittyCheeseburgersofunny.jpg :smallbiggrin:

LoL.

Anyway, I fixed the link. :smallredface:

Luckmann
2011-06-07, 07:43 PM
Hey, those look great. :smallcool:

[...]
I just have no idea what they are potions of...:smallconfused:

Mana Potions and Health Potions, respectively, clearly. :smalltongue:

big teej
2011-06-07, 07:44 PM
89 cents eh?

exceeeeeeeeeeelleeeeeeeeeeeeent.

food coloring, check!
varoius colored drinks CHECK

potion treasure table? cheeeeeck

mwuahahahahahahahah haaaa

Luckmann
2011-06-07, 07:47 PM
89 cents eh?

exceeeeeeeeeeelleeeeeeeeeeeeent.

food coloring, check!
varoius colored drinks CHECK

potion treasure table? cheeeeeck

mwuahahahahahahahah haaaaMan, now I want to set up a round gaming table with 'potions', chocolate gold coins and caramell 'crystals' for my roleplaying group. :smalltongue:

I don't really have a roleplaying group ;_;

Lateral
2011-06-07, 08:12 PM
Man, now I want to set up a round gaming table with 'potions', chocolate gold coins and caramell 'crystals' for my roleplaying group. :smalltongue:

Num. :smalltongue:

T.G. Oskar
2011-06-07, 09:08 PM
Mana Potions and Health Potions, respectively, clearly. :smalltongue:

I agree on the Health Potions, but the Blue-Green ones surely aren't Mana Pots. They're probably Health AND Mana Pots.

Though, IIRC, Potions of Cure Light Wounds have a nutty taste, sorta like almonds. And potions that restore Mana are spearmint-flavored. Yaaaaay, aromatic ring alchemy!!

Pika...
2011-06-07, 09:12 PM
Brilliant, but how would a Mana Potion function in 3.5 mechanics? Does it simply restore all spells/spell-slots?

edit:
Then again, perhaps the red would work well as potions of fire-breathing. Burning your own spelljammer ship down anyone? :smallbiggrin:

T.G. Oskar
2011-06-07, 11:48 PM
Brilliant, but how would a Mana Potion function in 3.5 mechanics? Does it simply restore all spells/spell-slots?

It'd restore the use of a single spell of a single level, or renew spell slots up to a certain level. Think...Holt Warden for that one. They get an ability that can be used only once per day and that involves the recovery of spell levels, up to 4 levels which can be divided within a 4th level spell, a 3rd level and 1st level spell, two 2nd level spells, a 2nd level and two 1st level spells, or four 1st level spells (basically any combination that restores about 4 spell levels, IIRC). So, a Lesser Potion of Wizardry would restore 1 spell level, a Potion of Wizardry probably 2 spell levels and a Greater Potion of Wizardry up to 4 spell levels.

Lateral
2011-06-08, 06:53 AM
Or recover power points if you're a psion. (Probably the more compatible system; it already has mana, basically.)

Pika...
2011-06-08, 08:44 PM
The PP would not work. Magic and Psioncs not transparent in my cosmology.

ffone
2011-06-08, 08:49 PM
If they are sugary and not diet beverages, you could say they are potions of Enlarge Person.

Lateral
2011-06-08, 08:49 PM

Really? That can create some problems if they're not near-equally common occurrences.

Heatwizard
2011-06-08, 08:54 PM
What's in those bottles, anyway? Is that the stuff they came with?

Glimbur
2011-06-08, 09:07 PM

Does psionics have a tradition of potions in your cosmology? If so, there's no issue.

NNescio
2011-06-08, 09:13 PM
Man, now I want to set up a round gaming table with 'potions', chocolate gold coins and caramell 'crystals' for my roleplaying group. :smalltongue:

Don't forget the jello 'slimes'. Especially the Gee-Cee.

If they are sugary and not diet beverages, you could say they are potions of Enlarge Person.

Oh you.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 09:17 PM

Diet's actually worse. There may be no calories, but there's got to be something in there that replaces those calories. Something artificial, not meant for the human body, because if it were natural, instead of artificial or "refined" it wouldn't have been discovered by modern day scientists.

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 09:35 PM
If they are sugary and not diet beverages, you could say they are potions of Enlarge Person.And if they're diet beverages with sweeteners, you could say that they are potions of slow poison. :smallyuk:

Lateral
2011-06-08, 09:43 PM
Diet's actually worse. There may be no calories, but there's got to be something in there that replaces those calories. Something artificial, not meant for the human body, because if it were natural, instead of artificial or "refined" it wouldn't have been discovered by modern day scientists.

You're dead to me.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 09:50 PM

You're dead to me.

I edited that to make my point more clear.

And if they're diet beverages with sweeteners, you could say that they are potions of slow poison. :smallyuk:
This guy has it right.

NNescio
2011-06-08, 09:53 PM
Does distilled booze count as "refined"?

Lateral
2011-06-08, 09:56 PM
I edited that to make my point more clear.

I don't have a quarrel with your point, but your logic hurts my inner mad scientist.

And my outer mad scientist.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 10:01 PM
I don't have a quarrel with your point, but your logic hurts my inner mad scientist.

And my outer mad scientist.

Don't worry, there are many other things for mad scientists to do. Like invent mech dragons, or hand cranked runcible guns.

The hand cranked runcible gun:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/BuckGodot/MAD_Science_2.jpg

Lateral
2011-06-08, 10:05 PM
Don't worry, there are many other things for mad scientists to do. Like invent mech dragons, or hand cranked runcible guns.

The hand cranked runcible gun:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/BuckGodot/MAD_Science_2.jpg

I'm not joking. :smallannoyed:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 10:06 PM
I'm not joking. :smallannoyed:

I was only half joking. Seriously, there is other stuff.

Pika...
2011-06-08, 10:19 PM
What's in those bottles, anyway? Is that the stuff they came with?

http://bkgg.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/did-gt-beverage-co-create-a-false-endorsement-to-sell-its-sportastic-drink/

http://bkgg.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/sportstasic-drink.jpg?w=300&h=240

The "potions" are still factory sealed with their original liquid inside.

Amnestic
2011-06-08, 10:52 PM
Something artificial, not meant for the human body, because if it were natural, instead of artificial or "refined" it wouldn't have been discovered by modern day scientists.

And that's why scientists aren't constantly discovering new varieties of mold, insect, plants (etc.) and in turn discovering their potential for usage in a variety of medicinal areas this very day.

Wait, no, that's the opposite of what is happening.

Edit: And while I'm here, your "Artificial=Not meant for the human body" sentence is insane too.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 10:54 PM
And that's why scientists aren't constantly discovering new varieties of mold, insect, plants (etc.) and in turn discovering their potential for usage in a variety of medicinal areas this very day.

Edit: And while I'm here, your "Artificial=Not meant for the human body" sentence is insane too.

Not meant to be digested by the human body, then? I tried to make it clear.

Amnestic
2011-06-08, 11:04 PM
Not meant to be digested by the human body, then? I tried to make it clear.

Numerous medicines are 'artificial'. They're pretty obviously meant to be digested.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 11:05 PM
I'm seriously thinking about deleting all my posts in this argument. It's not worth it.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-06-09, 07:35 AM
Saying that artificial products shouldn't be ingested is as ridiculous as saying all natural substances are safe for ingestion.

Back on topic, I'm sure there's a company that actually sells energy drinks in those bottles advertised as potions, it's a pretty cool gimmick.

some guy
2011-06-09, 08:01 AM

I've used chocolate gold coins. They're great. After an encounter I'd would grab a handful of it, throw it in the air and yell "You've found... TREASURES!".

Doesn't work as well as with other seasonal candy. *Throws chocolate bunny in the air and yells "You decide to eat... THE BUNNY!".*
OR: *Throws chocolate santa in the air and yells "You decide to eat... THE DEEP GNOME CLERIC!".*

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-09, 09:00 AM
Fun fact: Arsenic is natural!

Also cyanide. And several other deadly toxins that you should not under any circumstances ingest. (Although many venoms are in fact totally okay to ingest, like many snake venoms. Just make sure you don't have any cuts in your digestive tract. Or ulcers. Or... in fact just don't risk it anyway.)

Meanwhile, many 'unnatural' substances synthesised in labs are totally fine and can't do anything bad to you.

And many "unnatural" substances synthesised in labs are in fact chemically identical to "natural" substances, just with better dose control. Willow bark contains the same chemicals as aspirin - but as you have no idea how much of the chemicals are in a particular piece of bark, you could easily overdose or get no effect whatsoever. Better to take the pills.

Essence_of_War
2011-06-09, 09:04 AM

So is hemlock!

Socrates says it's "A OK" for human consumption :smalltongue:

Luckmann
2011-06-09, 10:17 AM

Also cyanide. And several other deadly toxins that you should not under any circumstances ingest. (Although many venoms are in fact totally okay to ingest, like many snake venoms. Just make sure you don't have any cuts in your digestive tract. Or ulcers. Or... in fact just don't risk it anyway.)

Meanwhile, many 'unnatural' substances synthesised in labs are totally fine and can't do anything bad to you.

And many "unnatural" substances synthesised in labs are in fact chemically identical to "natural" substances, just with better dose control. Willow bark contains the same chemicals as aspirin - but as you have no idea how much of the chemicals are in a particular piece of bark, you could easily overdose or get no effect whatsoever. Better to take the pills.Generally, when someone says "unnatural" in this context, they tend to refer to something that doesn't occur naturally.

Aspirin isn't an unnatural compound. Penecillin isn't an unnatural compound.

Aspartame will end up giving you horrible mutations, stunt your growth, deform your children and make your blood turn purple. possibly

:smalltongue:

http://bkgg.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/did-gt-beverage-co-create-a-false-endorsement-to-sell-its-sportastic-drink/

http://bkgg.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/sportstasic-drink.jpg?w=300&h=240

The "potions" are still factory sealed with their original liquid inside.Sportstastic?

That's it. The real world has obviously ended in a big explosion of dumb and we have entered some kind of psuedo-realm made up out of cartoon absurdities.

Veyr
2011-06-09, 10:22 AM
Those things seriously look like a parody. I'm calling Poe's Law on those.

TheCountAlucard
2011-06-09, 10:37 AM
I'm seriously thinking about deleting all my posts in this argument. It's not worth it.Yeah, probably. :smalltongue:

Either that, or clarify your point a bit more.

GallóglachMaxim
2011-06-09, 02:11 PM

I used chocolate coins as action points for a campaign. If the players used the point and succeeded, they got to eat the chocolate. If they used it and failed, I got to eat it. But this game also used gummybears as miniatures.

Hirax
2011-06-09, 02:16 PM
You should buy corks or rubber stoppers for those instead of using the plastic caps. Bonus points if you sand away the guides for the cap.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 02:23 PM

I agree with this completely. Especially the last part.

Also, am I the only one who thinks they could make pretty awesome grenades if you filled them with some volatile liquid?

Edit:
I'm seriously thinking about deleting all my posts in this argument. It's not worth it.

They will still exist in quotes. You just have to face it, here you happened to look like a pillock. The playground is a forgiving place, just move on.

Heatwizard
2011-06-09, 04:35 PM
They will still exist in quotes. You just have to face it, here you happened to look like a pillock. The playground is a forgiving place, just move on.

I've already forgotten who you are!

Luckmann
2011-06-09, 04:41 PM
I don't even learn people's names. If someone changes their avatar, they've effectively changed persona for me.

Lateral
2011-06-09, 04:55 PM

It's okay, I think we all understood what you meant. :smallsmile:

Heatwizard
2011-06-09, 04:58 PM
I don't even learn people's names. If someone changes their avatar, they've effectively changed persona for me.

And that guy with a default avatar sure likes to talk to himself and change his mind a lot.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-09, 07:13 PM
It's okay, I think we all understood what you meant. :smallsmile:

We did, but what he meant was ludicrous and illogical anyway.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-09, 07:16 PM
We did, but what he meant was ludicrous and illogical anyway.

How? Explain to me why diet is better. I'm not gonna bother to explain why it's worse, because I'm not gonna spend two hours finding articles and facts.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-09, 07:24 PM
He said "artificial things are not fit for human consumption", which is absurd. Some artificial things are bad for you, sure. Some natural things are bad for you, too. So what?

Amnestic
2011-06-09, 07:25 PM
How? Explain to me why diet is better. I'm not gonna bother to explain why it's worse, because I'm not gonna spend two hours finding articles and facts.

So you're not willing to back up your own assertion, instead expecting others to disprove it for you?

Burden of proof waves hello.

Taelas
2011-06-09, 07:26 PM

Diet is worse because artificial sweeteners are generally bad -- but that does not extend to everything else artificial.

Pika...
2011-06-11, 10:45 PM
LoL. They put them back in the fridge and forgot about them. >_<

Lateral
2011-06-12, 10:15 AM
He said "artificial things are not fit for human consumption", which is absurd. Some artificial things are bad for you, sure. Some natural things are bad for you, too. So what?

No, but I think he meant that diet is worse for you because of the artificial sweeteners, but it just came out wrong.

LansXero
2011-06-12, 10:46 AM
LoL. They put them back in the fridge and forgot about them. >_<

Maybe they recognized the bottle and the drink it contained and knew they didnt want what was inside? Than again knowing PCs, potions tend to be thrown into the backpack and only used when absolutely necessary, if at all. PCs are so cheap >_<

Hecuba
2011-06-12, 12:38 PM
Diet is worse because artificial sweeteners are generally bad -- but that does not extend to everything else artificial.

That depends. You're pretty much making a choice between maybe obesity and maybe cancer. I know plenty of people who would take the maybe cancer. And if you're looking at morbid obesity, you might not even be around for the cancer anyways.

ericgrau
2011-06-12, 12:49 PM
I've heard of studies that show that artificial sweeteners make you even hungrier later and your body overcompensates for what you missed, making you worse off than sugar. Starvation in general is a fairly poor diet technique. For example rice cakes are 100% pure nutritionless calories, and air. Why not go on a mini-donut diet then? "Diet" is mostly marketing... and levels of toxic substances that have been deemed minor enough to be acceptable. Side note: don't drink expired diet soda, especially if it's been sitting in a warm place, or this no longer applies. I'm not going to get into it further than this because it's a big topic, but basically such substances are pointless at best.

Back on topic, as for what the potions are, I'd say it depends on the campaign. Switch it up. By RAW PCs can identify potions by smell and appearance. Get some vanilla extract, almond extract, etc. and various food colorings, make some of the potions harmful, and have a blast with your props. Though you might want to use smaller bottles or vials instead or people will be peeing a lot.

Hecuba
2011-06-12, 01:19 PM
I've heard of studies that show that artificial sweeteners make you even hungrier later and your body overcompensates for what you missed, making you worse off than sugar.

That's generally for food consumption, not beverages. The last study I saw was heavily outdated, so I don't have a good number to give you, but there are people whose primary beverage is soda. That's not replacing meals, it's replacing water.

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-12, 01:30 PM
Oh man, that's awesome. Makes me want to go for a little more authenticity and... deviousness.

For about 3 bucks, you can get glass 50ml or 100ml round flasks (http://www.novatech-usa.com/FG4260-50).
Cork stoppers (http://www.amazon.com/CORK-STOPPER-SIZE-0-1EA/dp/B001D6S7T6) are almost comically cheap.
And I always have plenty of food coloring and booze sitting around. :smallamused:

Lets see...
Jägermeister for True Strike
Guinness for (Bull's) Strength
Bacardi Rum would take on food coloring really well...
Sambuca for Enlarge Person
Tequilla for Haste

This could be a helluva lot of fun for under a hundred bucks. :smallbiggrin: