PDA

View Full Version : Wizard help

j4bberw0ck
2011-06-07, 05:43 PM
I am looking to make a wizard (using the pathfinder RPG) who has discovered a book containing the sanity shattering secrets of the old one. Obsessed with the beings form the dark tapestry. What feats/class features/spells and other things of the sort can help to emphasize a wizard gone mad searching for secrets in books never meant to be read.

Shpadoinkle
2011-06-07, 08:11 PM
Alienist sounds like it's right up your alley. The original (as far as I know) version was in Tome and Blood, while an updated version is in Complete Arcane. I don't know if it's been converted to Pathfinder, though.

randomhero00
2011-06-07, 08:32 PM
Alienist sounds like it's right up your alley. The original (as far as I know) version was in Tome and Blood, while an updated version is in Complete Arcane. I don't know if it's been converted to Pathfinder, though.

Don't think it has.

You'll have to mostly roleplay it I think.

j4bberw0ck
2011-06-07, 09:14 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of lore master, summoning them is not his goal learning about them is. I might pick up the "true name" from wizard, but I am not sure. Black tentacles is a definite spell, and i might dip into cleric for the madness domain.

GoblinArchmage
2011-06-08, 01:50 AM
I was also going to suggest the Alienist, but never mind I guess.

If you're aloud to use Dragon Magazine, Issue 330 has some spells that might interest you, though a lot of them are summoning spells. It's 3.5, but I don't know if that's a huge problem or not.

Optimator
2011-06-08, 04:23 AM
Don't think it has.

You'll have to mostly roleplay it I think.

Wasn't pathfinder designed in such a way that it is compatible with 3.5 prestige classes and other things?

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 04:31 AM
Wasn't pathfinder designed in such a way that it is compatible with 3.5 prestige classes and other things?Some-some. A little bit of this a little bit of that. So-so.

Feats and such require little conversion and it's not necessarily hard to convert a class, but it still needs to be done and it still needs to be OK'd by your DM since it's not a part of basic Pathfinder.

I too would recommend the Alienist.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-06-08, 06:16 AM
Looking at the alienist I see nothing that would be incompatible with Pathfinder, the prereqs should be 5 ranks of Knowledge:planes instead of 8 but other than that it looks usable as it.

NecroRick
2011-06-08, 05:29 PM
Anything with tentacles, anything that can be re-fluffed as a tentacle (Earthen Grasp, Stony Grasp), anything that works better with aberrations.

Re-fluff an evil cleric to rebuke aberrations instead of undead for instance.

Even spells like Magic Missile can be re-fluffed to "Probing Tentacle of Invasiveness" or something like that.

Instead of Summon Monster summoning monsters, he summons aberrations instead. I'm no expert on Pathfinder, but in 3.5 Rust Monsters are aberrations... :smallbiggrin:

Doc Roc
2011-06-08, 05:44 PM
Hey There Tainted Scholar!

I guess the question is: Do you really want ultimate power? I can give it to you.

Just take my hand, sign a small paper...

Maquise
2011-06-08, 05:49 PM
You might also draw inspiration from the Starsoul sorcerer bloodline. It seems to be themed on the Dark Tapestry, though not necessarily the aliens who live there.