PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Sorcerer

hivedragon
2011-06-07, 07:37 PM
Do you think it is a fair trade for sorcerers to give up one spell per day per spell level to gain the reliable blasting powers of the warlock? However I don't like how the warlock's eldritch blasts are untyped damage. For this variant the sorcerer can choose to deliver fire, ice or electrical damage via their eldritch blasts to force the player to use some level of strategy.

Halae
2011-06-07, 07:56 PM
To make it more complete, you should also include Acid in that list of damage types.

Anyways, for the most part the only thing the sorcerer has over a wizard is the fact that they can cast more spells per day, and spontaneously. This seems like it could be handled quite easily by additional reserve feats

Welknair
2011-06-07, 07:58 PM
To make it more complete, you should also include Acid in that list of damage types.

Or SONIC!

I've never liked reserve feats though. Perhaps instead of a spell slot of each level, perhaps just one of their highest level? :smallconfused:

Re'ozul
2011-06-07, 09:34 PM
So wait, you are talking about taking away one very few things that the warlock has over the sorcerer (can blast all day) and give it to the sorcerer for a piddly reduction in its other abilities?

Welknair
2011-06-07, 10:28 PM
So wait, you are talking about taking away one very few things that the warlock has over the sorcerer (can blast all day) and give it to the sorcerer for a piddly reduction in its other abilities?

How often does the Sorcerer run out of blasting anyways?

But yeah. This is an ongoing problem. The Warlock is like the Sorcerer, but moreso. They have even fewer spells (Which have been further demeaned by being called "Invocations" and aren't real spells) and they can use them even more times per day. In the end more power and less versatility is rarely a good thing.

I retract the previous suggestion of the single highest spell slot as the cost. Instead it may be more appropriate to say that they can cast a "Sorcerous Blast" as a ranged touch attack, consuming one of their spell slots. It deals a number of d6s of fire damage equal to the level of the spell. 0-level spells deal 1d3.

Eh, actually that's not all that great either. It doesn't stack up against many evocations and really just feels like the ability was cribbed of the Warlock. Which it was.

I don't know.

Epsilon Rose
2011-06-08, 01:19 AM
It might be more work than you want to put in, but why not try merging the two?
They both seem to have different types of longevity and versatility that could probably complement each-other well and together be comparable to a wizard.

TSED
2011-06-08, 05:32 AM
Perhaps cribbing from the spells known list would be a better solution. -1 per spell level...

Meh. At that point I'd just say "why not just gestalt?"