PDA

View Full Version : Interior design in subjective gravity

Nich_Critic
2011-06-07, 08:35 PM
So, you have a room? Only, it doesn't matter which of the walls and ceiling are floors. What are some clever design adaptations for furniture, such that no matter which way gravity is, things are still useful? Would you make heavy use of things that fold into the wall, so that you can have a bare floor? Are your seating areas multi directional? Do you make excessive use of symmetry?

Actually, for that matter, would you design your room like a space shuttle? All available surfaces useful? Or would you designate a direction for up and design it that way?

I'm trying to design a monastery in Limbo, and I'm curious how they would lay it out. I want them to be able to take advantage of the terrain to confuse intruders. They could just arrange things to fancy, or mostly at random, I feel like that would be counterproductive for them (since they have to navigate it).

Edan
2011-06-07, 08:37 PM
This might be a case where you could actually pull off MC Escher's famous stair painting. Sorry but that;s all I've got.

Jack_Simth
2011-06-07, 08:59 PM
I'm trying to design a monastery in Limbo, and I'm curious how they would lay it out. I want them to be able to take advantage of the terrain to confuse intruders. They could just arrange things to fancy, or mostly at random, I feel like that would be counterproductive for them (since they have to navigate it).
Well, consider for a moment what you think of when you're thinking of a martial-artist Monk's house normally. Do you think "Everything there has a function" or do you think "meaningless decorations"? Do you think "Something everywhere" or do you think "minimalist"? A Monk in Limbo is not going to be different in this regard.

Now, when you try to generalize that to the funny properties of Limbo and turn things towards defense, consider: Who are they trying to confuse: The normal denizens of Limbo, who are used to everything being everywhere, or visitors more like themselves? If you want to confuse the denizens of Limbo, who are normally able to use every available surface, you set the place up... just like you would if there was normal gravity. Pick a direction: That's down. All other directions are in reference to that (with, perhaps, a few training rooms where this is not the case, but for the most part, down is down). If you want to confuse visitors, you set the place up to actually take advantage of that extra available floorspace, and/or set up an MC Escher painting.

Xyk
2011-06-07, 09:29 PM
You probably want the friendly banter or generic roleplaying region of the playground.

All the chairs and whatnot would have to be spherical. Bean-bag chairs would work awesomely. That way they would still function after flying across the room and you wouldn't have to set it up all over again. All the furniture would have to be extremely durable because there will be furniture falling in various directions.

Cog
2011-06-08, 07:42 AM
All the furniture would have to be extremely durable because there will be furniture falling in various directions.

From the SRD, on subjective gravity: "Such a plane has no gravity for unattended objects and nonsentient creatures."

You could make a real tangle of guide ropes, catwalks, and nets. Somebody familiar with the place could know, "Okay, if I'm standing here, and fall that way, I'll pass between those..." while those new would have to constantly roll spot checks or reflex saves to navigate.

Feytalist
2011-06-08, 07:54 AM
To make it even more minds-screwy (if you want to, that is) is to treat the furniture as animated objects? That way, the chairs and whatnot could scoot around to whatever orientation you want at that point. And they could also come in handy with a fight.

You would need a high-ish level spellcaster somewhere around the monastery to account for that, though.