PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Favored Soul attack spells

Thurbane
2011-06-07, 09:18 PM
Hey all,

A very common Favored Soul build is to use WIS as a dump stat, and just not take spells with a DC. Generally this means sticking with buffing spells.

My question is this: what are some suggestions for offensive spells (able to either deal damage or weaken foes) that do not rely on a save DC? Spritual Weapon, Searing Light and Summon Monster all spring to mind, but I'm looking for less obvious ideas.

Cheers - T

Saintheart
2011-06-07, 09:38 PM
Downdraft springs to mind, though it's more a save-to-be-slightly-less-screwed sort of spell. You're flattened to the ground by a column of air in any event, and if you're flying, drop 100 feet if you don't save or drop 50 feet if you do.

Seerow
2011-06-07, 09:40 PM
Holy Word and the like are soley caster level based, and offer no saving throw. Not a bad investment for high levels (though it can suck if you frequently face high HD enemies)

gbprime
2011-06-07, 11:13 PM
Favored Souls are typically very thematic, mirroring the creed or deity they follow. If that motif allows, my favorite non-saving-throw spells are...

Summon Undead 1-5 (the 4th and 5th level ones are particularly effective)
Ice Axe (add a Lesser Rod of Empower and go to town!)
Divine Power (+6 str and more BAB, classic.)

Psyren
2011-06-08, 07:59 AM
Clerics have a few no-save offensive spells in splats. Your best option is still probably summoning, but I'll help.

From BoED:
Celestial Brilliance
Constricting Chains (Sanctified, Str Drain)
Crown of Flame
End to Strife
Exalted Fury (Sanctified, kills you)
Lantern Light
Lastai's Caress
Sicken Evil (Sanctified, Str Dmg)
Stars of Arvandor

From SpC:
Anarchic/Axiomatic/Holy/Unholy Storm
Bolt of Glory
Death Throes (lulzworthy)
Ice Axe
Lucent Lance

Philistine
2011-06-08, 01:47 PM
Moon Bolt (SpC) is a nice little save-and-still-suck debuff, especially against undead.

gbprime
2011-06-08, 02:14 PM
Moon Bolt (SpC) is a nice little save-and-still-suck debuff, especially against undead.

Nah, Moon Bolt is a bad example. Undead are "save and nothing happens" while living targets that make the save take 1d2 STR per 3 caster levels. So if they make that save, even at level 12, that's about as powerful as Ray of Enfeeblement. Not a good buy if your save DC is low.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-06-08, 02:14 PM
Summoning and/or melee is really the better option for a favored soul as far as damage dealing is concerned, though some good sugjestions have been given. I would also like to sugjest the D20 Rokugan version of the class from which I draw my name as a Favored Soul/Maho would use it's taint as it's casting stat, meaning that it would no longer require wisdom for any of it's casting, even DCs. Oh, and you can also choose spells from the cleric OR maho list, the latter including some good arcane damage-dealers and save or dies, as well as some exculsive spells (if using the D20 Rokugan Maho list, that is.) that can do some crazy things.(ranging from body/soul swapping SUPERIOR to magic jar(though also higher level) to gaining a bonus feat, perminently(though at a VERY GREAT risk.).)

If the oriental fluff of the Maho is a turn-off then there is always the Tainted Sorcerer, which IS the Maho-Tsukai, turned into a 10 level 10/10 CL progression PrC stripped of it's oriental fluff, spell list and spells known limit(making it actually useful for casters without spells known.). The Tainted Sorc also has the benifit of being in the SRD, meaning you can easily acssess it if need be.

With a high cha becomming Necropolitian(or any other undead) could give you a massive taint score to really pump those DCs, too. So look to become undead as soon as you can if your DM will allow it.

Thurbane
2011-06-08, 05:10 PM
Good suggestions - however, this is a general enquiry, not for a specific character. Also, if a character does see play, I will likely be the DM. Finally, my group pretty much only uses WotC sources.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-06-08, 10:13 PM
True, but the the Tainted Sorcerer PrC IS official SRD material, meaning that a Favored Soul/Tainted Sorc is still a viable character without access to third party.True, they'll miss out on the D20 Rokugan Maho list but casting set to taint means they can now use save reliant spells as well as any offensive caster even with a low wisdom score...of course you already have other options but you may at the least want to consider Tainted Sorc as an alternative to focusing on no-save offensive spells.

Psyren
2011-06-08, 10:41 PM
The only thing Taint is an alternative for is a balanced campaign :smalltongue:

Thurb: if you're the DM, why not give the player in question some saveless offensive spells, like orbs or something?

Thurbane
2011-06-08, 10:51 PM
Well, it's most likely going to be an NPC, and I like to do things by RAW as much as possible. Also thinking of compiling a Favored Soul handbook at some stage, so this info would be useful for that project, too...

Psyren
2011-06-08, 11:18 PM
If you do such a project, steer readers away from offensive spells as a Favored Soul. Even dedicated summoning isn't a great niche for them, because both Druids and Clerics can do it spontaneously too without being MAD or sacrificing spells known.

With their all good saves, great buffs and potential exotic weapon (depending on deity) they are best off as gishes.

EarthTremor
2011-12-16, 06:24 AM
Apologies for resurrecting a dormant thread, but i stumbled on this searching for suggestions on the same topic, and thought I'd leave my own findings for future players. Both spells and from Frostburn.

1st level: Ice Slick. Requires a Balance check rather than a saving throw, and even those who make it have their movement halved and loose Dexterity to AC if they don't have at least 5 ranks in the skill. Party rogues with reach weapons or bows will love this spell. One of my must-haves.

3rd level: Shivering Touch. Dubbed the 'Dragon Killer' on some CO boards. Good candidate for Reach Spell.