PDA

View Full Version : Question on Runestaves (MIC)

Cicciograna
2011-06-08, 05:28 AM
Please, can you clarify me how Runestaves work? If I get them correctly, each Runestaff allows to cast a single spell multiple times provided that the user expends a level appropriate prepared spell or spell slot.

What I don't understand is the number of casting provided by each spell slot expenditure. Let's say that a Sorcerer has a Runestaff of Charming. He could:

expend a 1st level (or higher) spell slot to cast three times per day Charm person, OR
cast Charm person by expending a ≥1st level spell slot, doing this up to three times per day (thus expending three ≥1st level spell slots)?

gibbo88
2011-06-08, 05:36 AM
Its a one to one ratio, you need to expend one spell to gain one spell. I think the intention is that sorcerers can get some more versatility.

Cog
2011-06-08, 07:17 AM
I think the intention is that sorcerers can get some more versatility.
Wizards, too; you can prepare one thing and Runestaff-trade it out for another.

Unfortunately, Runestaves suck for Beguilers, Warmages, and DNs. The spells have to be on your class list already to cast them off a Runestaff. Note that some of them have an odd mix already - for example, the staff of Destruction offers Earthquake, which isn't on any of the core arcane lists.

Feytalist
2011-06-08, 08:54 AM
Wizards, too; you can prepare one thing and Runestaff-trade it out for another.

Unfortunately, Runestaves suck for Beguilers, Warmages, and DNs. The spells have to be on your class list already to cast them off a Runestaff. Note that some of them have an odd mix already - for example, the staff of Destruction offers Earthquake, which isn't on any of the core arcane lists.

You could use UMD though, as with a normal staff/wand, right?

Cog
2011-06-08, 09:03 AM
True, though only Beguilers get that skill out of that set, IIRC.

Feytalist
2011-06-08, 09:06 AM
Fair enough, plus you need actual spellcasting, so rogues/etc. are out as well.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-08, 10:30 AM
Please, can you clarify me how Runestaves work? If I get them correctly, each Runestaff allows to cast a single spell multiple times provided that the user expends a level appropriate prepared spell or spell slot.

What I don't understand is the number of casting provided by each spell slot expenditure. Let's say that a Sorcerer has a Runestaff of Charming. He could:

expend a 1st level (or higher) spell slot to cast three times per day Charm person, OR
cast Charm person by expending a ≥1st level spell slot, doing this up to three times per day (thus expending three ≥1st level spell slots)?

But if he has a Runestaff of Charming, he doesn't need to have Charm Person as a Spell Known. This frees up his Spells Known tremendously. And lets him, effectively, buy Spells Known. This is... huge. This makes Sorcerer as flexible as any Batman Wizard, but retaining his own strengths. By getting a Runestaff of 'Bat Shark Repellent', you can be prepared for literally *any* situation, without crippling your Spells Known list.

This is the Sorcerer looking at his primary (and only) limitation (limited Spells Known) and pimp-slapping it, then laughing as it cowers in the corner.

To put it this way: Runstaves are to Sorcerers what Nightsticks are to DMM abusing Clericzillas.

Cicciograna
2011-06-08, 10:34 AM
But if he has a Runestaff of Charming, he doesn't need to have Charm Person as a Spell Known. This frees up his Spells Known tremendously. And lets him, effectively, buy Spells Known. This is... huge. This makes Sorcerer as flexible as any Batman Wizard, but retaining his own strengths. By getting a Runestaff of 'Bat Shark Repellent', you can be prepared for literally *any* situation, without crippling your Spells Known list.

This is the Sorcerer looking at his primary (and only) limitation (limited Spells Known) and pimp-slapping it, then laughing as it cowers in the corner.

Yes, I understand the power of the item. The only thing unclear was if the expenditure of a level appropriate spell slot allowed the use of the spells of the staff once, up to three times per day, or three times a day altogether.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-08, 10:42 AM
Yes, I understand the power of the item. The only thing unclear was if the expenditure of a level appropriate spell slot allowed the use of the spells of the staff once, up to three times per day, or three times a day altogether.

Blow one spell slot of equal or higher level per use. You're already breaking the Spells Known barrier, no need in tripling your output at the same time.

Remember, though, it says 'EACH three times per day', which means if you have a runestaff with spell x and spell y on it, you can use both of them 3/day, they don't share a pool.

Cicciograna
2011-06-08, 10:49 AM
Okay, every doubt has been dissolved. Thanks guys.