PDA

View Full Version : Centaurs and Unicorns and Pegasus, oh my!

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 08:28 AM
So.

My Little Pony.

Problem is, while Centaurs and Unicorns and Pegasus are all CR 3, there's obvious imbalance between them. Unicorns are significantly more powerful than the other two in combat, and Centaurs honestly just kind of suck in comparison with either. We don't need 100% balance, but rough parity is desireable.

There's also the question of how to level up. Class levels could work, but might get a bit awkward. I was thinking some sort of Hit Dice based advancement, but then we need to set it up to actually play to their strengths. Unicorns for example should gain a bit more magic, which means the other two need other things to compensate.

At this point, I'm thinking of scrapping the analogy all together and working from the ground up. Unicorn Ponies would get a few standard cantrips, and then choose a single domain a la Divine Crusader. Earth Ponies would get higher physical stats, hp, natural armor, maybe fighter bonus feats. Pegasus Ponies might get more skill points and other "utility" type skills.

Any suggestions? Has anyone set this up before?

gbprime
2011-06-08, 08:51 AM
and Centaurs honestly just kind of suck in comparison with either. We don't need 100% balance, but rough parity is desireable.

Centaurs use weapons. Size large lances, size large composite longbows. Parity achieved.

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 09:16 AM
Centaurs use weapons. Size large lances, size large composite longbows. Parity achieved.
Except Earth Ponies wouldn't have that luxury in the MLPverse without a bucketload of willful ignorance.

gbprime
2011-06-08, 10:26 AM
Except Earth Ponies wouldn't have that luxury in the MLPverse without a bucketload of willful ignorance.

Well...

(A) I'm not familiar with the conventions of the genre
(B) You're talking about making changes anyway
(C) No matter what you decide, the advantage of centaurs is that they have hands. That's got to be useful for something.

FMArthur
2011-06-08, 10:34 AM
I thought centaurs were like, the gods of mounted combat for counting as fighting from horseback, thus being able to use Spirited Charge and Leap Attack together.

Greenish
2011-06-08, 10:40 AM
My Little Pony: Opposable Thumbs are Magic.

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 12:20 PM
Well...

(A) I'm not familiar with the conventions of the genre
(B) You're talking about making changes anyway
(C) No matter what you decide, the advantage of centaurs is that they have hands. That's got to be useful for something.
Agreed. But...

In Equestria (MLP-verse), there are three types of "ponies" - Unicorn Ponies, Pegasus Ponies, and Earth Ponies.

Unicorn Ponies all have at-will Mage Hand, and a variety of low-level magical effects suited to their personality. Truly exceptional Unicorn Ponies can produce significant effects, but mostly it's minor stuff like Dimension Hop, various Detect spells, Dancing Lights, some Illusion effects, etc. I figure a Divine Crusader type access to one Domain would handle this well. The default MM1 Unicorn would have the "Healing" domain.

Pegasus Ponies can fly, plain and simple. And even without using flight, they can interact with clouds as if they were solid when they want to, even walking on them, or kicking them to make them dissipate. They also seem to show an extremely broad array of skillsets beyond that, with the two lead Pegasus Ponies in MLP:FiM being almost entirely dissimilar. I figure flight is the essential marker here though, and setting them up as "skillmonkeys" might fit their flexible nature; Rainbow Dash would train athletic-type skills, and Fluttershy would train naturey-type skills, and any other Pegasus could train what they want.

Earth Ponies are closest to real horses, with no special powers, but tend to have far more endurance and durability than the others. They're also probably stronger and better in a fight, on average. Lacking wings or magic (or hands), they make do with attitude and inventiveness and determination.

This is why the MM1 parallels are giving me trouble.

Centaur - +3 NA - 26 hp - Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 11
Pegasus - +3 NA - 34 hp - Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 13
Unicorn - +6 NA - 42 hp - Str 20, Dex 17, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 21, Cha 24

...apparently unicorns are far tougher, and significantly stronger, than Centaurs. Centaurs have the worst hp, the worst dex, the worst con, the worst int, the worst cha, and are tied for the worst in every other category here. They've got the slowest GROUND speed (seriously, the Pegasus outruns it even without flight), have the least special traits, and the worst overall saves. They have hands, but in every single other category they come out solidly behind, even without accounting for the Pegasus's flight or the Unicorn's magic.

Even if I let them use weapons, which breaks flavour since no ponies have hands, there's still a huge imbalance here.

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 12:28 PM
This has already been done on a couple of forums and not based on conversion, but rather entirely new stats. I recommend you do a search for that first before you start mucking about.

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 12:29 PM
This has already been done on a couple of forums and not based on conversion, but rather entirely new stats. I recommend you do a search for that first before you start mucking about.
I'm sure it's been done. I did a quick google search though (MLP + D&D), and didn't find anything relevant. If you know where to look, let me know.

cfalcon
2011-06-08, 12:46 PM
The monsters in the SRD are 100% fine. Centaurs are ludicrously better than Pegasi if, for some reason, they were to fight, as centaurs are basically men with horse bodies.

Where you get off thinking that these would make ok earth ponies I have no damned clue

Earth ponies don't have hands. They are much more similar to, you know, a horse. So, start with a damned horse. Seriosuly, start with a horse, then advance the horse to the point where you want it to be.

Even if I let them use weapons, which breaks flavour since no ponies have hands, there's still a huge imbalance here.

Having hands lets them do stuff like wield bows and polearms and build things. Not that you should have earth ponies with hands, or be using centaurs at all. Centaurs can craft and wear armor, for instance, and have a whole society.

See, Pegasi and Unicorns are magical beasts. Centaurs are humanoid.

What you actually want isn't to use these monster manual things except as starting points. For instance, lets assume that the Unicorn is about where you want to start- the D&D unicorn is actually pretty cool. So you need to buff the pegasus a little bit to be about on par, and then you need to buff the HORSE (not a centaur, who is the wrong creature type and shape) a lot to make an earth pony.

Lets make the thread about that!

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 12:48 PM
Well, even though Ponychan is shock-fulled with furries, last I checked, it had a dedicated RP forum, where I am sure you could get some help (doesn't require any registration). Should probably go for one of the main forums though, since /rp/ is likely inactive.

I'm absolutely sure I've seen rules for it around. It was discussed on 4chan's /tg/ until the Great Pony Purge of -11, too. I never took the time to save any of it, because face it, I'll never get to play (:smallfrown:). I did a quick google and came up empty, too - possibly because I'm lazy.

I can't even find my pony-related DnD artwork in my Pony folder anymore. Well, not the one I was looking for, anyway.

Have some Flutterfighter to compensate for this failure.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1119/fluttershyplaysdnd.png

Edit: Also, you should definitely let them use items. It doesn't break flavour. My Little Ponies use items all the damn time. Who the hell needs opposable thumbs, anyway? :smallbiggrin:

cfalcon
2011-06-08, 12:50 PM
Here's what a quickie search returns:

Go here, someone did most of the work it looks like:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197827

Also some discussion:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-197827.html

Vent Reynolt
2011-06-08, 12:53 PM
I'm sure it's been done. I did a quick google search though (MLP + D&D), and didn't find anything relevant. If you know where to look, let me know.

Somepony wrote up rules for ponies, but they are for Pathfinder. You can find them here:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/03/traditional-game-ponyfinder.html

The biggest problem with trying to adapt the Monster manual versions of Unicorns and Pegasi is that they are Large sized, but the ponies in Friendship is Magic are clearly Medium sized.

Also, why use a Centaur? They have that whole Half-Human thing that will stick out like a sore thumb.

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 12:54 PM

Also some discussion:

Those two are the same thread. :smalltongue: Also, that's the exact thread I was thinking about when I remembered that I had seen someone do this before, besides the loose discussions on other forums.

Turns out it was on GitP all along. :smallbiggrin:

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 12:54 PM
She has a mace. Are you sure she's not Flutterhealer?

Maybe Earth/Unicorn/Pegasi gain abilities as they level up. Unicorns get their domain, along with a few spell like abilities at each HD. (Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, etc.) However, I would also give the Pegasi a progression with spells/abilities, to mimic their abilities in manipulating weather, flying and walking on clouds.

Maybe give the Earth Ponies a few choices of classes, such as a greatly tweaked Druid, Bard, and Fighter? You could say Fluttershy is a druid, but I say that she stopped her pegasi progression to go into druid.

Greenish
2011-06-08, 12:55 PM
the ponies in Friendship is Magic are clearly Medium sized.How do you know? Is there any critter for a point of comparison?

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 12:57 PM
Applejack has the dog, and she seems to be human sized next to it. Also compare Rarity and Opalescence, and Fluttershy/Horde of small creatures

EDIT: I also remember them being smaller then the Manticore, but as that was a baby then Manticores are much larger, or the other creatures dropped a few sizes.

Greenish
2011-06-08, 12:59 PM
Applejack has the dog, and she seems to be human sized next to it.Small dog or Medium dog? :smalltongue:

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 01:02 PM
The monsters in the SRD are 100% fine. Centaurs are ludicrously better than Pegasi if, for some reason, they were to fight, as centaurs are basically men with horse bodies.

Where you get off thinking that these would make ok earth ponies I have no damned clue

Earth ponies don't have hands. They are much more similar to, you know, a horse. So, start with a damned horse. Seriosuly, start with a horse, then advance the horse to the point where you want it to be.

Having hands lets them do stuff like wield bows and polearms and build things. Not that you should have earth ponies with hands, or be using centaurs at all. Centaurs can craft and wear armor, for instance, and have a whole society.

See, Pegasi and Unicorns are magical beasts. Centaurs are humanoid.

What you actually want isn't to use these monster manual things except as starting points. For instance, lets assume that the Unicorn is about where you want to start- the D&D unicorn is actually pretty cool. So you need to buff the pegasus a little bit to be about on par, and then you need to buff the HORSE (not a centaur, who is the wrong creature type and shape) a lot to make an earth pony.

Lets make the thread about that!
Extremely unhelpful. You haven't told me a single thing I haven't already posted about, except starting with the Horse monster, which still leaves me back at square one. It's just as easy to remove hands from the Centaur, as it is to bring Horses up to parity with Unicorns. If you're going to stand there and insult me, you may at least give some meaningful advice. For example - what, exactly, would you do to bring Horses up to par?

Also some discussion:
Thanks, I'll check those out. They seem to have had the same problem I did though, where Pegasus and Unicorns have 11 levels and Earth Ponies only have... 3. I did find a few other links though, so I'll see what I can chase down there.

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure I'm a fan of the PF rules on EqD. I love the work, but:

1) Earth Ponies clearly should have +2 Con, in my opinion.
2) Unicorn Ponies should have their power of magic/psionic fine manipulation by horn reflected in their stats. Seriously, even Rarity (Bard at best) regularly manipulate objects this way.

She has a mace. Are you sure she's not Flutterhealer?

[...]Doh, clearly. Flutterpriest? :smallbiggrin:

Have some Rarity.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8034/raritydeendee.png

Edit:
How do you know? Is there any critter for a point of comparison?There's a whole bunch of them. Critters I mean. They are quite clearly Medium-sized. Watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's not like the previous generations of MLP at all and the main part of the (visible) fanbase is actually male.

I'm not sure what that says about the show or about our culture, but there it is.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 01:10 PM
Rarity is not a sorceress, but the implication is she worships a goddess of beauty. I approve.

Also, on Earth Ponies...I think Earth ponies should have more skills and feats then the others. Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash are the exemplars of Unicorn/Pegasi respectively. And both have to train at it to be any good with their racial skill set. Fluttershy, (until she uses her cleric spells) is not very good at flying, but picked up the ability to sort of talk to animals and the STARE. Rarity is also not very good at magic, but picked up dressmaking and marketing skills.

What I get out of this is either you train your unicorn/pegasi abilities, or you suck at them. And when you train those abilities, you aren't training in things like, I dunno, craft, or healing or training an awesome dog to stop a stampede.

(Also, the dog is a herding dog, so likely not a smaller species. I would not bet on a chihuahua's chances against frightened cattle)

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 01:15 PM
Also, on Earth Ponies...I think Earth ponies should have more skills and feats then the others. Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash are the exemplars of Unicorn/Pegasi respectively. And both have to train at it to be any good with their racial skill set. Fluttershy, (until she uses her cleric spells) is not very good at flying, but picked up the ability to sort of talk to animals and the STARE. Rarity is also not very good at magic, but picked up dressmaking and marketing skills.

What I get out of this is either you train your unicorn/pegasi abilities, or you suck at them. And when you train those abilities, you aren't training in things like, I dunno, craft, or healing or training an awesome dog to stop a stampede.
This actually raises a good question - should the ponies be races, or classes?

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 01:18 PM
I'd make some classes and have a pegasi and a unicorn only class for their own racial abilities. If you want to be Rainbow Dash or a really fast pegasi with flyby attacks, take the pegasi class. If you want to be a unicorn with magical powers, take the unicorn class. If you don't want to be either, roll up a unicorn and take a different class.

Vent Reynolt
2011-06-08, 01:20 PM
How do you know? Is there any critter for a point of comparison?

Using This screenshot as a comparison:
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g459/Vent_Reynolt/FluttershyAngel.png

Including her tail and mane, Fluttershy is only about 4.5 Angels long and less than three Angels tall. If we assume that Angel is 15 inches tall (a bit large, but normal for a rabbit), then she is about 5.7 feet long and 3.7 feet tall.

A medium sized Pony according to the SRD is under 5 feet tall at the shoulder.

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 01:21 PM
Found another thread: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182994&highlight=Rarity).

This actually raises a good question - should the ponies be races, or classes?Races with class features, maybe?

I think that's what the guy in the big thread is going for. Not sure, haven't read through it but the races appears to have (some) class progression, although it appears uneven to me. Haven't read it all, just skimmed through it.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 01:27 PM
Fun fact: Earth Ponies do actually have magical powers. They can make plants grow and pacify animals.

Pegasus Ponies also have magic - they can walk on clouds and control the weather.

It's just that Unicorn Ponies have the most obvious magic, but all ponies are magical.

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 01:33 PM
I'd make some classes and have a pegasi and a unicorn only class for their own racial abilities. If you want to be Rainbow Dash or a really fast pegasi with flyby attacks, take the pegasi class. If you want to be a unicorn with magical powers, take the unicorn class. If you don't want to be either, roll up a unicorn and take a different class.
I think I like the idea of allowing customization, but I don't think giving classes for some and not for others works. Unicorns focused on magic could just take Wizard or Sorcerer.

Hmmmmm.... brainstorming for the moment....

Earth Ponies: +2 to all physical stats, +2 Natural Armor.

Pegasus Ponies: Flight, "Flying" skill always a class skill, +1 skill point per level, Cloudwalker special ability.

Unicorn Ponies: mage hand at-will, domain slots as cleric (single domain and relevant casting stat chosen at character creation).

Viable starting point, do you think? Making Flying into a skill like Swim allows a pony to either train it or not; Rainbow Dash obviously did, and Fluttershy probably used the skill point bonus towards Handle Animal instead. Unicorns are probably overpowered at high levels, depending on Domain choice, but I think the other two have things to recommend themselves as well.

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 01:36 PM
Fun fact: Earth Ponies do actually have magical powers. They can make plants grow and pacify animals.

Pegasus Ponies also have magic - they can walk on clouds and control the weather.

It's just that Unicorn Ponies have the most obvious magic, but all ponies are magical.

I'm not sure I'd peg the Earth Ponies as magical, but they've definitely got a special connection to the earth that is not shared by other ponies. This isn't just implied by the series, but has been flat-out stated by our queen and mistress herself, Lauren Faust.

Fluttershy is an obvious exception to the three-way dichotomy of the equestrian castes.

Oh, the days I've spent over-interpreting, misconstruing and analyzing Equastrian politics and economic theory...

Down with the false Empress Celestia and her celestian lackeys! Long live Luna, our one true Queen! Long live the lunarite revolution!
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/15/hailequestriacrushthece.png

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 01:38 PM
I think I like the idea of allowing customization, but I don't think giving classes for some and not for others works. Unicorns focused on magic could just take Wizard or Sorcerer.

Hmmmmm.... brainstorming for the moment....

Earth Ponies: +2 to all physical stats, +2 Natural Armor, Endurance as a bonus feat

Pegasus Ponies: Flight, "Flying" skill always a class skill, +1 skill point per level, Cloudwalker special ability.

Unicorn Ponies: mage hand at-will, domain slots as cleric (single domain and relevant casting stat chosen at character creation).

Viable starting point, do you think? Making Flying into a skill like Swim allows a pony to either train it or not; Rainbow Dash obviously did, and Fluttershy probably used the skill point bonus towards Handle Animal instead. Unicorns are probably overpowered at high levels, depending on Domain choice, but I think the other two have things to recommend themselves as well. Earth Ponies have nothing "special", but a solid edge anyway. The usefulness of Pegasus Ponies depends on Flight being difficult otherwise, which shouldn't be too hard to set up, and having access to flight is important enough that I think they keep up if other ponies are generally going to lack that.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 01:47 PM
Earth Ponies require free Wild Empathy.

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 01:55 PM
Earth Ponies require free Wild Empathy.
Applejack seems to have Handle Animal trained, but I haven't seen anything of the sort from Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy is the only one I've seen actually able to communicate with animals, not just work with them.

cfalcon
2011-06-08, 01:56 PM
Extremely unhelpful.

Stop being silly. Follow the links and if that's not enough, do what I say, and you'll have it.

You haven't told me a single thing I haven't already posted about, except starting with the Horse monster, which still leaves me back at square one. It's just as easy to remove hands from the Centaur, as it is to bring Horses up to parity with Unicorns.

It's just as easy? Have you ever made monsters before?

A heavy horse is an animal with 3 HD and CR1. A unicorn is a magical beast with 4 HD and CR 3. If you were to add hit dice to the horse, you'd be a lot closer to having an earth pony than if you start chopping up centaurs, who explicitly have their CR and creature type and weapons and society.

If you're going to stand there and insult me, you may at least give some meaningful advice.

Quote an insult I made.

For example - what, exactly, would you do to bring Horses up to par?

What abilities are these things supposed to have?

Earth Pony?
Size/Type: Large Animal you will likely want all of them to be medium.
Hit Dice: 4d10+28 (50 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +8 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
Attack: Hoof +3 melee (1d6+1*)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +3 melee (1d6+1*)]

So, these things suck because hooves are secondary attacks. Ponies are supposed to do other things, right? Unicorn horns are good because horns are a primary attack (meaning no -5 penalty), and also because they are +3 magical weapons. It would be fully reasonable to have earth ponies have magical hooves, and to not consider them secondary weapons.

Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 17, Con 25, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 24
This is similar to the Unicorn distribution, with more strength and a dash more int, less dex and less wis, but more Con
Skills: 21 (distribute these)
Feats: 2 feats (Run, Endurance?, Alertness?)

The issue here is that, you have to make a bunch of changes anyway. For instance, you probably want them all to be medium. You probably want earth ponies to be good at something- for instance, I changed the unicorn matrix around, but I don't actually know that earth ponies would be a bit smarter, a bit less wise... but I definitely think they would be more physically resilient.

Thanks, I'll check those out. They seem to have had the same problem I did though, where Pegasus and Unicorns have 11 levels and Earth Ponies only have... 3. I did find a few other links though, so I'll see what I can chase down there.

Ok, so here's why they have 11 levels and Earth Ponies have 3- the idea is that your pony characters start out at level 1. Say you have:

Apple (Earth Pony)
Orange (Unicorn Pony)
Kiwi (Pegasus Pony

At level 1, it would go like:

Apple- Earth Pony 1
Orange- Unicorn Pony 1
Kiwi- Pegasus Pony 1

Now, at level 2, they all take a level of say, a class:

Apple- Earth Pony 1 / Cleric 1
Orange - Unicorn Pony 1 / Fighter 1
Kiwi - Pegasus Pony 1 / Bard 1

Over the course of a long game, you might have:

Apple - Earth Pony 3 / Cleric 12
Orange - Unicorn Pony 11 / Fighter 4
Kiwi - Pegasus Pony 11 / Bard 4

The idea is that you pay for power with class levels. In this situation, the Earth Pony is getting a lot less goodness out of being an Earth Pony than he is out of being, say, a cleric. That's the concept behind this. You COULD of course, expand the Earth Pony table- which, I would suspect is what you want to do.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 01:58 PM
What is the spell list for unicorns like?

And Pinkie Pie is constantly bitten by Gummy. I think she's too crazy for Animal Empathy, but she does seem to have 4th-wall shattering powers and can use the power of gags to keep up with Rainbow Dash.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-08, 02:00 PM
Applejack seems to have Handle Animal trained, but I haven't seen anything of the sort from Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy is the only one I've seen actually able to communicate with animals, not just work with them.

Pinkie has a pet alligator...

Anyway, the mane characters shouldn't be used as examples - because with the exception of maybe Applejack or Rarity, they are not very normal members of their race.

The "Wild Empathy" thing comes from Lauren Faust discussing how Earth Pony magic tends to be focused on plants and animals (and yes, Fluttershy is in fact an aberration - a Pegasus skilled with animals!).

cfalcon
2011-06-08, 02:03 PM
I will also say this- you probably will want to heavily restrict available class levels. Class levels are funny- if you let a character take 1 level of earth pony and 7 levels of wizard, that will be not much pony and a lot of wizard- meaning, a combat encounter will be resolved with solid fog, a stealth encounter with a bunch of invis and invis sphere, and some utility things with polymorph, and a diplomatic encounter will see the uses of Eagle's Splendor and maybe even stuff like Detect Thoughts. If that's not the kind of game you want, then you might want to limit the number of class levels, or the types of classes. Meanwhile, something that is Earth Pony 3 / Fighter 5, is probably going to be pretty good at resolving physical conflicts.

What kind of game are you running?

cfalcon
2011-06-08, 02:05 PM
the mane characters

That's a pretty cute typo.

sonofzeal
2011-06-08, 02:09 PM
Pinkie has a pet alligator...

Anyway, the mane characters shouldn't be used as examples - because with the exception of maybe Applejack or Rarity, they are not very normal members of their race.

The "Wild Empathy" thing comes from Lauren Faust discussing how Earth Pony magic tends to be focused on plants and animals (and yes, Fluttershy is in fact an aberration - a Pegasus skilled with animals!).
Can you give a reference on that Faust quote?

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 03:08 PM
Can you give a reference on that Faust quote?It's from Lauren's deviantArt page. You'd have to either find a screencap or go through her comments section. Here's the relevant snippet, though:

*fyre-flye Mar 3, 2011
While not magical like the other pony types, Earth Ponies do have a connection to the land that other types do not. In Equestria, growing food and tending animals (Fluttershy's talent with animals is unusual for a pegasus, I always imagined she feels more at home on the ground than in the sky) is just as necessary, as managing weather and magic. Perhaps more important, don't you think? They are ponies, not people, so perhaps appreciating each other as equals is not so difficult for them."

I wouldn't equate this to a free Wild Empathy feat, though. I think Applejack is a good reference for an average Earth Pony, based on what we have seen, and she doesn't talk to animals or anything like that.

They have a connection to the land for sure, they tend the orchards and the fields, keep the animals; but they're not druids or rangers any more than unicorns are all sorcerers, psions or wizards.

At the end of the day, most ponies, no matter their caste or race, are level 1 commoners and a player character can be a Unicorn Warblade or a Pegasus Ranger all they want. :smallsmile:

Pinkie Pie is an assassin with massive Bluff.

That's a pretty cute typo.You're a foal if you think that's a typo. :smalltongue:

erikun
2011-06-08, 04:30 PM
What ECL do you want the races to be?

I'd say that the mane cast would be roughly small sized, although medium sized would probably work if desired. Princess Celestia is clearly large sized, and her guards are what I would consider medium sized.

Earth ponies would have a bonus to physical stats (Str/Con). Unicorns would have a bonus to mental stats (just Int?) and a Mage Hand ability at-will, possibly upgrading to full telekinesis as they level up. Pegasi would have a bonus to Dex, I guess, along with flight. I'm not sure how to put their other abilites, though - wouldn't that be classes? Of course, that just means that anyone can learn any magic they want by taking wizard levels, and anyone can get along with animals as a ranger, but I'll assume we're not worrying too much about that given that we're sticking with D&D rather than another system/a new system.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 04:33 PM
I think Twilight makes it clear that unicorns do not have a CHA bonus. But Snips and Snails probably prove that unicorns do not have an INT bonus, but you can likely ignore them.

You could just make the ponies medium sized, on the basis that this is a new system, and they are the baseline. And then size everything else as it appears on the show.

Luckmann
2011-06-08, 06:07 PM
I think Twilight makes it clear that unicorns do not have a CHA bonus. But Snips and Snails probably prove that unicorns do not have an INT bonus, but you can likely ignore them.

[...]Because it's not like Twilight is the leadership type with a metric ton of Charisma and it's not like Snips and Snails are riding the short bus. :smallannoyed:

Those two have Special Ed. written all over them. Because they're special.

There's never been a dumb Tiefling or a uncharismatic Aasimar?