PDA

View Full Version : Can I un-send a PM?

pendell
2011-06-08, 08:39 AM
Let's say that I was having a discussion with another poster. Decided to take it private because I didn't want to derail the thread. Sent a PM.

Now having second thoughts. I'm concerned that the PM I sent will cause more problems than it solves.

Is there a way to un-send the message, if the other user has not yet read it?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Raistlin1040
2011-06-08, 08:48 AM
No, there isn't. It's like an email. Unless the user's PM box was full (in which case you would know that the message hadn't sent because it would tell you), your PM appears in their PM box nearly instantaneously and cannot be removed except by them.

pendell
2011-06-08, 08:53 AM
Thanks. Nuts.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Douglas
2011-06-08, 09:52 AM
An admin, or maybe a moderator, is probably technically able to do it for you, but I wouldn't bet on one being willing to spare the time it would take for such a minor, private, and personal matter. Even if an admin does respond favorably to such a request, it might not be in time to prevent the recipient from reading it.

Serpentine
2011-06-08, 09:57 AM
Mods, generally speaking, don't look in people's Inboxes unless there's rule-breaking or other concerns going on, and then I'm pretty sure it's usually at the invitation of the Inbox owner. So I really doubt they'd go in to delete one of their private messages without their permission, much less without their knowledge, just because someone regrets sending it.

Szilard
2011-06-08, 09:59 AM
You could try apologizing?

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 10:00 AM
No, there isn't. It's like an email. Unless the user's PM box was full (in which case you would know that the message hadn't sent because it would tell you), your PM appears in their PM box nearly instantaneously and cannot be removed except by them.

If it's really like an email, then it can be retreived if it's unread.

In Microsoft Outlook, if you send an email and you want to "un-send" it, then there is a process for that. If the person you sent the email to has read the email, then you can't take it back.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-08, 10:20 AM
You could try apologizing?

Best idea so far.

You're thinking of personal computer-based email. This is like cloud email.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-08, 10:59 AM
Best idea so far.

Definitely. An apology solves most things. [Insert witty 'And for everything else, there's <X>.' comment here.]

NerfTW
2011-06-08, 12:11 PM

In Microsoft Outlook, if you send an email and you want to "un-send" it, then there is a process for that. If the person you sent the email to has read the email, then you can't take it back.

That only works within the Outlook server you're using. For instance, if I send an email to another company, I cannot recall it, unless they've specifically set it up to allow my company to recall messages.

Email is like a voicemail. Once it's out there, you can't do anything about it.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-08, 12:12 PM
Definitely. An apology solves most things. [Insert witty 'And for everything else, there's <X>.' comment here.]

And if an apology fails, then generally either you were enough of a jerk that you should just cope, or the other person is petty enough that you probably don't want to associate with them very much anyway.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-08, 12:34 PM
And if an apology fails, then generally either you were enough of a jerk that you should just cope, or the other person is petty enough that you probably don't want to associate with them very much anyway.

Once again, a point of fairness beyond touche has been made.

Renegade Paladin
2011-06-08, 05:06 PM
Some board software permits the deletion of unread PMs from your outbox with the effect of removing it from the recipient's inbox, among them phpBB. This is not one of those, though.

Shades of Gray
2011-06-08, 05:49 PM
Hack his computer and delete the PM on his account?

BladeofOblivion
2011-06-08, 07:54 PM
Hack his computer and delete the PM on his account?

I find this probably the most ridiculous overkill method here, if only because hacking a person's computer is probably worse than a potentially off-color PM. :smallyuk::smalltongue:

Icewalker
2011-06-08, 10:48 PM
I dunno, I like that plan. Even better, kill him, and replace him, taking up his life, living it as he did, until you reach the point that you even understand how he would think, at which point you will be able to figure out his password, get into his account, and delete said PM.

...I think we're getting into ridiculous territory here. Question is answered, yes? :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2011-06-08, 11:34 PM
Sheriff: That seems sufficient, I think, to resolve the matter.