PDA

View Full Version : Low LA Fey

PersonMan
2011-06-08, 09:10 AM
I'll be making a Bard, modified with the debuffing/save-or-suck songs from Dirgesinger, for a play-by-post campaign soon, and was wondering if anyone knows about a good, low-LA fey race. I'm currently at level 5, and there's a good chance that stripping a race of some features will be alright, if needed. Apart from that, the only real restrictions are that it needs to be medium, humanoid and non-homebrew, if possible(although if there's something that seems absolutely perfect, I could see if it'll be allowed). I have a 38 point buy to work with, so a few hits to non-Charisma stats won't be too bad, as long as they're fairly low-ish.

Amnestic
2011-06-08, 09:13 AM
Duskling (MoI), Faun (Deities and Demigods), Jermlaine (MM2) and Killoren (RotW) are all fey and LA+0.

(Chicken Sauce) (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0)

Talya
2011-06-08, 09:17 AM
While on the cusp of low level adjustment, Half-Fey is a +2 template, and one of the few that is probably worth it, as you get your normal racial bonuses (yay, human!) plus boost to dex and wis and a big boost to charisma (but a penalty to con...yuck), flight, a huge pile of spell-like abilities (including charm person at will), immunities etc.

PersonMan
2011-06-08, 09:44 AM
While on the cusp of low level adjustment, Half-Fey is a +2 template, and one of the few that is probably worth it, as you get your normal racial bonuses (yay, human!) plus boost to dex and wis and a big boost to charisma (but a penalty to con...yuck), flight, a huge pile of spell-like abilities (including charm person at will), immunities etc.

I'd be going for this, but someone else has already mentioned it and the DM said the fey would have to be a full blood, so Half-Fey won't work.

Talya
2011-06-08, 10:02 AM
I'd be going for this, but someone else has already mentioned it and the DM said the fey would have to be a full blood, so Half-Fey won't work.

Too bad. I've always looked for an excuse to play one of those.

Darth Stabber
2011-06-08, 10:36 AM
2nd duskling if you can accept the INT hit (+2dex, -2int). They have racial essentia, which is nice even if you take an incarnum feat (or shape soulmeld).

Never actually played one, but you gotta love a small race with favored class: Barbarian.

Essence_of_War
2011-06-08, 10:39 AM
The Gloura from underdark:
LA+2; RHD 7; ECL +9; medium fey, fly 60 (good), +10dex, +4con, +2wis, +6cha, DR, DV, Bard Spellcasting, Unearthly Grace, Bard.

It's fairly low LA, but kind of high ECL. However, it casts as a 7hd bard and any levels you take in bard stack with its casting.

Edit: I missed that you wanted to debuff with songs. This probably isn't a great choice.

Okizruin
2011-06-08, 10:42 AM
Uldra from Frostburn. LA +1.

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-08, 05:47 PM
Jaebrin (from MM5) are pretty good for LA +1. Their favored class is Beguiler, but they'd be just as good Bards.

Cog
2011-06-08, 05:58 PM
Half-Fey can go on top of any of the LA 0 fey mentioned. Just find a specific fey to match it to.

Talya
2011-06-08, 06:02 PM
Half-Fey can go on top of any of the LA 0 fey mentioned. Just find a specific fey to match it to.

See, now this is just wrong. (Not that Cog is wrong, but the fact that he's right is what's wrong. I smell cheese.)

Fax Celestis
2011-06-08, 06:27 PM
Jaebrin (from MM5) are pretty good for LA +1. Their favored class is Beguiler, but they'd be just as good Bards.

+1 to this. I love jaebrin.

Cog
2011-06-08, 06:44 PM
See, now this is just wrong. (Not that Cog is wrong, but the fact that he's right is what's wrong. I smell cheese.)
...Are you suggesting that fey will interbreed with anything except other fey?

Zemro
2011-06-08, 06:48 PM
Petals (MMII) have +2 LA, and their cons are relatively minimal weighed against your intended goal.

They may be a bit much though, so one of the other options might be a better idea.

Eldest
2011-06-08, 06:51 PM
No, that the half-fey would then be half fey, half...fey.
It would technically work, though. I think.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-06-08, 06:56 PM
Weren't Killoren like la +1?

Cog
2011-06-08, 07:13 PM
No, that the half-fey would then be half fey, half...fey.
It would technically work, though. I think.
It technically works, just like half-dragon dragons do. As for what it represents, the attributes of half-fey could easily be matched to one particular race, so a half-pixie half-killoren fey might be represented in game as a half-fey killoren.

Killoren are LA 0.

NineThePuma
2011-06-08, 07:18 PM
Feytouched (+1 LA, Fiend Folio) comes with a built in immunity to mind afecting, and has +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha.

Pokonic
2011-06-08, 07:22 PM
Dusklings are a good pick, with +1LA

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-08, 07:23 PM
Dusklings don't have LA.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 07:23 PM
But can he add the Half-fey and fey touched templates onto a single fey? It's one quarter fey. But also another quarter fey. And the other half is also fey.

Talya
2011-06-08, 07:26 PM

It's the same as applying the half dragon template to a dragon! Or the half-celestial template to a Planetar. Or the half-fiend template to a succubus... all technically legal, but logically wrong. A dragon that mates with something not a dragon begets a half-dragon. A dragon that mates with a dragon begets a dragon. What exactly did the dragon mate with to beget a half-dragon dragon?

Othniel Edden
2011-06-08, 07:30 PM
Gremlins from the pathfinder APs might work as characters. Also I believe Fey-Touched are only LA+1

It's the same as applying the half dragon template to a dragon! Or the half-celestial template to a Planetar. Or the half-fiend template to a succubus... all technically legal, but logically wrong. A dragon that mates with something not a dragon begets a half-dragon. A dragon that mates with a dragon begets a dragon. What exactly did the dragon mate with to beget a half-dragon dragon?
Could be two different species of dragon, and having the heritage to draw on both.

Talya
2011-06-08, 07:31 PM
Gremlins from the pathfinder APs might work as characters. Also I believe Fey-Touched are only LA+1

He won't take half-fey because he needs a pureblood. Fey-touched are much less than half-fey.

Cog
2011-06-08, 07:32 PM
Hm, I guess I just tend to think of the names as metagame references for a whole subset of possibilities. For example, things aren't just half-dragons; they're half-white-dragons. So, a half-white-dragon red dragon would be the result of a white dragon and a red dragon, and by the statistics (if not the names) would simply be a dragon.

A half-fey human is not 1/2 fey and 1/1 human; they're 1/2 human too. Why would the half-dragon dragon be more dragon than 1/2 plus 1/2 either?

Darth Stabber
2011-06-08, 07:43 PM
For example, things aren't just half-dragons; they're half-white-dragons. So, a half-white-dragon red dragon would be the result of a white dragon and a red dragon, and by the statistics (if not the names) would simply be a dragon.

No. A red dragon and a white dragon makes a pink dragon, come on that's 1st grade art class question

Cog
2011-06-08, 07:47 PM
I'm now imagining a BBEG who's been manipulating dragons over the millennial, guiding them to interbreed just so to produce a particular color or range thereof...

Othniel Edden
2011-06-08, 07:51 PM
Great, now we are going to have to make a hybrid dragon page....

Also Darth Stabber, we could see a candy cane style dragon instead...:smallbiggrin:

Cog
2011-06-08, 08:08 PM
What's black and white and red all over? A newspaper dragon.

Amnestic
2011-06-08, 08:23 PM
What's black and white and red all over? A newspaper dragon.

A dire zebra who got loose from the circus?

KillianHawkeye
2011-06-08, 08:28 PM
Petals (MMII) have +2 LA, and their cons are relatively minimal weighed against your intended goal.

They may be a bit much though, so one of the other options might be a better idea.

Petals are +2 LA (cohort). That means they are suitable as cohorts only, not as player characters.

EDIT: Also, they are in MM3, not MM2.

ffone
2011-06-08, 08:34 PM
Savage Progressions (google gets it) at wizards.com has 'monster classes' for the LA 1 feytouched race and LA 2 half-fey template. This lets you play an LA 0 feytouched - it's like a charismatic elf, +2 Dex and Cha, -2 Con, a bonus vs mind-affecting and a few other things (the LA would add mind-affecting immunity) or an L1 one half-fey. The full version is maybe a better deal for a paladin, conferring the flight and mind-affecting immunity, unless you have another source of flight...but for a bard you probably don't want any LA at all.

LA 0 Feytouched and the LA 0 aasimar at Savage Progressions are both good for bards - you get a charisma bonus. (Although the PGtF 'lesser planetouched' LA 0 aasimar is better - you get everything except the outsider type, such as the +2 Wis as well).

If you're a bard, the Force or Personality feat (CAdv?) replaces Wis with Cha to Will vs mind-affecting. This will make mind-affecting immunity none-too-important since your save will be quite high. The feytouched will have a +4 racial bonus, the bard will have the good Will progression, and your Cha will be your highest modifier.

It makes Wis pretty much a dump stat for the bard or sorc (sadly the paladin has the Wis spells). Shore up that racial Con penalty and of course max Cha.

Urpriest
2011-06-08, 08:41 PM
Since you're playing with 38 point buy, I'm assuming this is a somewhat high-powered game. If so, Unseelie Fey (Dragon Compendium) is ideal. They can even lever a (Cha-based) save penalty on people to augment your debuffing. All for +0 LA.

(Technically, +0 LA is for the Unseelie Gnome only, but it often gets interpreted to be the general LA for the template. Note that despite being a template it's intended to represent a full-blooded fey of the unseelie court.)

Alleran
2011-06-08, 08:42 PM
The Unseelie Fey (Dragon Compendium) are, I believe, LA +0 explicitly. They also give you a whole host of benefits with very few downsides. You do get saddled with "Always Evil" in the alignment area, but even then that doesn't mean you have to be evil. There's also the Seelie Fey in the same book, but I think those have LA +1.

sreservoir
2011-06-08, 08:55 PM
The Unseelie Fey (Dragon Compendium) are, I believe, LA +0 explicitly. They also give you a whole host of benefits with very few downsides. You do get saddled with "Always Evil" in the alignment area, but even then that doesn't mean you have to be evil. There's also the Seelie Fey in the same book, but I think those have LA +1.

seelie fey have LA -.

Glimbur
2011-06-08, 09:06 PM
What exactly did the dragon mate with to beget a half-dragon dragon?

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/Glimbur/DoubleDragon.jpg

Mathematically, (1 Dragon + 2 Dragon) / 2 = 1.5 Dragon

Cog
2011-06-08, 09:11 PM
The Unseelie Fey (Dragon Compendium) are, I believe, LA +0 explicitly.
Not quite. The template itself has no listed LA, - or otherwise. The sample gnome Warrior unseelie fey has LA: 0, but that only says anything about gnome Warrior unseelie fey.

Talya
2011-06-08, 09:24 PM
magic-blooded template for your fey when you're done...

Coidzor
2011-06-08, 10:50 PM

WOTC approved cheese, even. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a) :smallamused:

It's the same as applying the half dragon template to a dragon!

Perfectly valid, logical by the strange logic that governs d&d and its design decisions, and WOTC approved? :smallconfused:

I'm now imagining a BBEG who's been manipulating dragons over the millennial, guiding them to interbreed just so to produce a particular color or range thereof...

Like that one VG cats comic? :smallamused:

Hm, I guess I just tend to think of the names as metagame references for a whole subset of possibilities.

That is what the WOTC site articles I've read have always encouraged, ever since I read the bit where Half-X templates can even be on things that are actually a Quarter-X without being some kind of sin against D&D.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-08, 11:11 PM
A half-aasimar/half celestial, I think, could technically work since not all aasimar are descended from celestials. Techincally, an aasimar can be descended from a god as gods are outsiders. I am not even sure all good aligned outsiders are celestials, which would qualify for aasimar, but not half-celestial.

I think if you are playing a god-blooded aasimar who is also a half celestial the DM will not be happy with you however.

On a more serious note, it might be trying to represent someone who is 3/4th celestial.

Cruiser1
2011-06-09, 05:06 AM
the DM said the fey would have to be a full blood, so Half-Fey won't work.Note Half-Fey are considered to have full Fey blood, so crunch-wise they are true Fey. For example, Half-Fey are not affected by spells like Charm Person since they're not humanoids.

Darth Stabber
2011-06-09, 08:10 AM
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww185/Glimbur/DoubleDragon.jpg

Mathematically, (1 Dragon + 2 Dragon) / 2 = 1.5 Dragon

Sooo much win, Glimbur. I award you pi internets and Sqrt(3/2) cookies.