PDA

View Full Version : Mild-Optimization Ranged Character (Need Help)

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 01:51 PM
I'm playing in a Gestalt game and I need to build a ranged attacking character. It's not a high optimization game. The more we optimize, the more difficult the encounters become, so everyone agreed to keep the super optimized characters off the board.

We are all level 10 right now, but I always build my characters up to 20 or higher, so I know what my character will be like in the future.

Note: Whatever race we play, we must use that races favored class as our full gestalt. As an example, if I were to play a Dwarf, I would be a full fighter on one side, then anything else I want on the other.

Here are my two thoughts on a Moderate Optimization ranged character.

Human Soulknife (Gestalt) / Fighter & Soulbow

OR

Half-Elf Wizard (Gestalt) / Fighter & Arcane Archer

Can you playgrounders think of a better option for a decent ranged character? :smallconfused:

Cog
2011-06-08, 01:59 PM
Warblade // FeatsRogue/Bloodstorm Blade?

Hulking Hurler doesn't have to be cheesed out, either.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 02:04 PM
Warblade // FeatsRogue/Bloodstorm Blade?

Hulking Hurler doesn't have to be cheesed out, either.

That's a fairly good suggestion. The only reason I was looking at the Soulknife/Soulbow or an Arcane Archer combo is because I'm a cheap. I don't want to spend money on an expensive weapon. Both of these classes basically get free magic items. The Soulbow creates free arrows and the Arcane Archer can turn any ordinary bow and arrow into magical ones when fired.

Our DM seems to be a little stingy on the flow of money, so a really good weapon is out of the question.

Could you make a really good melee weapon for the Bloodstorm Blade for under 25,000 gold?

Cog
2011-06-08, 02:09 PM
Could you make a really good melee weapon for the Bloodstorm Blade for under 25,000 gold?
Making full ranged attacks with all the benefits of melee and ToB should make up for the weapon issues.

SleepyShadow
2011-06-08, 02:50 PM
Human Fighter/Monk & Master Thrower

Elf War Blade/Ranger & Crag Top Archer

Human Cleric/Druid

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 03:12 PM
Human Fighter/Monk & Master Thrower

Elf War Blade/Ranger & Crag Top Archer

Human Cleric/Druid

How is the Cleric/Druid a ranged combat character?

KoboldCleric
2011-06-08, 03:20 PM
Swift Hunter//Cleric perhaps?

Cog
2011-06-08, 04:31 PM
Swift Hunter//Cleric perhaps?
You cloud even consider the Prestige Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeRanger) for that, since in gestalt you can patch up the casting issues.

For a Wizard or Warmage ranged build, there's a Force Missile Mage PrC (and Argent Savant, though that does less for you), and you can focus on metamagic fun with Magic Missile. Use your other side to patch casting progression, with Factotum to throw out even more missiles per round or Warblade for utility.

A Dungeoncrashing War Hulk can use his opponents offensively at range, while a Psychic Warrior // Totemist with Fling Enemy can make them proper ranged weapons.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 04:36 PM
For a Wizard or Warmage ranged build, there's a Force Missile Mage PrC (and Argent Savant, though that does less for you), and you can focus on metamagic fun with Magic Missile. Use your other side to patch casting progression, with Factotum to throw out even more missiles per round or Warblade for utility.

Force Missile Mage? Where is that class? I'm super interested in that! :smallamused:

Cog
2011-06-08, 04:42 PM
Dragon Compendium.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 04:47 PM
I have the Draconomicon and the Races of the Dragon.

Is the Dragon Compendium a 2.0 book?

Cog
2011-06-08, 05:40 PM
Is the Dragon Compendium a 2.0 book?
No. It's a collection of some of the more popular and generally more balanced material from Dragon Magazine, and it's a book rather than a magazine, which generally means it's more likely to see play at the table.

SleepyShadow
2011-06-09, 12:33 AM
How is the Cleric/Druid a ranged combat character?

The feat Zen Archery allows a character to use Wisdom mod instead of Dexterity mod for ranged attacks. Both are Wisdom-based casters with a lot of buff spells and decent BAB.

Essentially, the idea is 'buff and shoot, buff and shoot'.

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-06-09, 02:10 AM
Wizard/spellwarp sniper // rogue

fairly mild power, good at taking a single oppenent.

riddles
2011-06-09, 11:57 AM
Halfling rogue//fighter/masterthrower/something else (I think whisperknife is gnome only)

Human swift hunter//psychic warrior or ardent - abuse dimension hop and hustle to activate skirmish damage.