PDA

View Full Version : things you'd find in a sewer

big teej
2011-06-08, 02:30 PM
what it says on the tin.

what sorts of monsters/baddies would you find in the sewers?

I'm making sure I don't miss anything.

for starters, the sewer is going to be layed out in a grid system.

I have several intersections that have been taken over by otough... the swere monster thingies that I can't spell from memory.

I've got hordes of rats (swarms) roaming the sewer.

I've got an encounter slated with a Dwarf Search team.

I'm going to have 2 carrion crawlers running around (not as a group)

aside from these however.

I'm drawing a blank on what I'd have in the sewer.

also, the party will probably encounter a few skaven (were-rats?)

so

what else would you put in a sewer?

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-08, 02:33 PM
I have a were rat nation, with armies of dire rats in 1 of my major city sewers. They are at war with the "Surface Dwellers"
And you can never go wrong with zombies and cubes.

Eldan
2011-06-08, 02:34 PM
Oozes.

Alligators are also classic.

Cog
2011-06-08, 02:42 PM
A colony of Monks, hiding in shame.

A kraken that swam upstream from the sewer's outflow, but is now stuck in a narrowed tunnel.

Animated objects, the remnants of an automated sewer maintenance/extermination system.

Troglodytes, tired of everyone complaining about their stench.

Chokers are fun to have skulking around.

Keld Denar
2011-06-08, 02:45 PM
Oozie Oozeborn, the 6-sided Prince of Darkness
Advanced Gelatinous Cube
Size: Huge
HD: 16d10+144 (232 hp)
Initiative: -5
Speed: 15 ft
AC: 1, Touch 1, Flat 1
BAB/Grab: +12/+20
Attack: Slam +10 (1d6+1d6 Acid)
Full Attack: Slam +10 (1d6+1d6 Acid)
Space/Reach: 15 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Acid, Engulf, Paralysis
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60’, Immune to Electricity, Ooze Traits, Transparent
Saves: F+13 R+0 W+0
Abilities: Str 10 Dex - Con 29 Int - Wis 1 Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
CR: 6

Acid (Ex)
A gelatinous cube’s acid does not harm metal or stone.
Engulf (Ex)
Although it moves slowly, a gelatinous cube can simply mow down Large or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The gelatinous cube merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the cube, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 19 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the cube moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the cube’s paralysis and acid, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body. The save DC is Strength-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.
Paralysis (Ex)
A gelatinous cube secretes an anesthetizing slime. A target hit by a cube’s melee or engulf attack must succeed on a DC 27 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 3d6 rounds. The cube can automatically engulf a paralyzed opponent. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Transparent (Ex)
Gelatinous cubes are hard to see, even under ideal conditions, and it takes a DC 15 Spot check to notice one. Creatures who fail to notice a cube and walk into it are automatically engulfed.

Isn't monster advancement fun? :)

Archwizard
2011-06-08, 02:49 PM
Undead. Thieves. Goblins trying to sneak into the city to attack it. A hurt young green dragon trying to recover from wounds. Plenty of choices!

deuxhero
2011-06-08, 02:50 PM
Water? ****? Cramped spaces?

>_>

subject42
2011-06-08, 02:53 PM
Otyugh's say something in their fluff about living in sewers because they provide a ready food source.

For a more realistic threat, tunnels will sometimes fill up with methane or other non-breathable gasses. This means that if you're using a light spell, you'll suffocate, and if you're using a torch, you'll explode.

HunterOfJello
2011-06-08, 03:07 PM
Every sewer contains at least one obligatory goblin child. The child is always loudmouthed and rude, but obviously wouldn't survive much longer in the sewer if abandoned.

PirateLizard
2011-06-08, 03:09 PM
-Goblins, even advanced Goblins, possibly with boats. They can knock a hole in the wall of the sewer and set up a little camp in the walls if the water never gets too high.
-Mad (insert obligatory tier 1 here)'s Laboratories.
-Sewer Trolls.
-Giant Water Snakes.
-Umber Hulks.
-Beholders.
-Bands of Thieves and Slavers.
-Were-Bats and Were-Crocodiles (Monsters of Faerun p91).
-Black Markets.
-Serpentflesh Golems (Serpent Kingdoms p81)
-Some people are obsessed with crazed "Cannibal Halflings" for some reason.
-Halruuan Behir (Shining South 61) fit the snake/crocodile theme, and have tons of electricity attack, which are a blast in watered environments.
-Gibbering Mouthers.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 03:12 PM
Oozes.

Alligators are also classic.

Alligators? You have no imagination! You need to open your mind to the possibilities.

A dire celestial half-fiend wererat alligator!

zyborg
2011-06-08, 03:18 PM
...really? Oozy Oozeborn? ...I don't know what to say...

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 03:24 PM
Constructs and/or Effigies. They were created to clean and repair the sewers.

They could ignore the PC's or attack them if they witness them damaging the sewers.

If you make them Effigies, they could look a little like the Borg (From Star Trek). They walk around and ignore anything that is not part of their job. But once you attack one of them or if you damage the sewers, they will kill (assimilate) you, squeeze out all your fluids, and powder your remains to make bricks to repair the sewers.

Telonius
2011-06-08, 03:25 PM
Four Tortle monks and a were-rat.

A Verminlord (BoVD)

A very distinguished-looking gentleman who's set up a perfectly comfortable and clean room. Monocle optional.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 03:30 PM
Four Tortle monks and a were-rat.

No no, it's four tortle swordsages (not unarmed, as I don't recall them ever fighting unarmed) and an anthropomorphic rat swordsage.

Edit: actually, make that last one a nezumi swordsage (oriental adventures).

Aemoh87
2011-06-08, 03:32 PM
I have a were rat nation, with armies of dire rats in 1 of my major city sewers. They are at war with the "Surface Dwellers"
And you can never go wrong with zombies and cubes.

After you subdue them they are too weak to defend themselves and cruel rat herders move in and establish a tyranny enslaving the rats. Now you must save the very enemy you just defeated. How do you defeat the herders? Do you leave the rats to just raise another army? Genocide? Can people change? Questions to be ignored by players? AAAAH!?

Telonius
2011-06-08, 03:33 PM
No no, it's four tortle swordsages (not unarmed, as I don't recall them ever fighting unarmed) and an anthropomorphic rat swordsage.

Edit: actually, make that last one a nezumi swordsage (oriental adventures).

It's funnier if they're incompetent.

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 03:33 PM

Shouldn't it be four Anthropomorphic Turtle Ninja's and an Anthropomorphic Rat Ninja? That is if you want to stick with the theme of them being Ninja's.

One thing that I didn't mention earlier was you could have them find a really freaky looking clown who calls himself "IT". /shiver :smalleek:

Aemoh87
2011-06-08, 03:34 PM
Shouldn't it be four Anthropomorphic Turtle Ninja's and an Anthropomorphic Rat Ninja? That is if you want to stick with the theme of them being Ninja's.

One thing that I didn't mention earlier was you could have them find a really freaky looking clown who calls himself "IT". /shiver :smalleek:

Does the clown build up to an epic showdown just to be a panzy spider?

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 03:37 PM
Does the clown build up to an epic showdown just to be a panzy spider?

In that case, wouldn't the spider just be an Aranea disguised as a clown to draw children closer to the sewer grate? /double shiver! :smalleek:

JaronK
2011-06-08, 03:37 PM
Realistically (heh) I'd expect to see oozes down there. Highly mobile stuff would be attacking the above ground population and thus would be cleared out, but oozes actually do waste removal so they're symbiotic with the city above. I'd also expect Rogues, Ninjas, and underground merchant types using various sewers as illicit trade highways and escape routes, though I imagine most of those would hide from the PCs given half a chance. There'd also be poor commoners looking for shelter.

JaronK

Alefiend
2011-06-08, 03:42 PM
Giant cockroaches. Granted they're probably not dangerous, but you can probably skeeve the players out anyway. :smallamused:

Baby aboleths?

A plain gold ring that turns the wearer invisible. This should wind up in the hands of whichever character slips in the muck first, especially if it's a halfling.

Ghouls, and lots of reasonably fresh corpses (both human and animal), found in whatever order you prefer. You can use this to lead into a larger plot about a ring of assassins, a sacrificial cult, or a secret invasion gone wrong.

A buildup of gas, either natural or as a result of decomposition, that has a nasty effect when breathed and/or is combustible.

Telonius
2011-06-08, 03:43 PM
Some sorts of ghosts might be in order. Lots of sewers are actually the ground level of older cities that the current city built over.

big teej
2011-06-08, 03:43 PM
great suggestions all around, keep it up, I can always use more sewerer fodder =D

Telonius
2011-06-08, 03:45 PM
Drain/drowning trap. This can be really scary to the poor fool clanking around in fullplate with no ranks in Swim...

Kansaschaser
2011-06-08, 03:46 PM
In a game I recently ran, the players were forced down into the sewers. They encountered most of the things listed in this thread (except for the copyrighted material: mutant ninja turtles and the clown from IT).

They also encountered a Goblin Merchant. He's got a hovel full of garbage. Have you ever seen an episode of Hoarders? However, he had a few magic items sprinkled in his collection. He traded with the players for some of their magic items. The Goblin got some magic boots and the players got a magical frying pan that creates random meals 3 times per day.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 03:48 PM
In a game I recently ran, the players were forced down into the sewers. They encountered most of the things listed in this thread (except for the copyrighted material: mutant ninja turtles and the clown from IT).

They also encountered a Goblin Merchant. He's got a hovel full of garbage. Have you ever seen an episode of Hoarders? However, he had a few magic items sprinkled in his collection. He traded with the players for some of their magic items. The Goblin got some magic boots and the players got a magical frying pan that creates random meals 3 times per day.

Both an everlasting rations and an improvised weapon that can be used against swarms!

Cog
2011-06-08, 04:03 PM
Were-octopi, commoners who've been eating the flesh of the kraken I mentioned earlier and have been contaminated by it.

Alternatively, you can make a Were-X (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) out of vermin - even, it's been argued, of swarms.

Green Slime.

Asheram
2011-06-08, 04:09 PM
Kobolds. Lots and Lots of Kobolds.

Fable Wright
2011-06-08, 04:16 PM
Relevant (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060501) Links (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060508).

Aside from that... look in Dungeonscape. It has some really good stuff for sewers. Even acid-breating sharks to survive in the septic tanks! And Guardian Oozes, which are intelligent, and can lead to an interesting encounter. Aside from that... animated garbage and waste can be fun. They round a corner, and... get attacked by a construct made of nauseating decomposing stuff. Alternatively, Golems out of them. That would really be nasty to pull out...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-08, 04:21 PM
Relevant (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060501) Links (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060508).

Aside from that... look in Dungeonomicon. It has some really good stuff for sewers. Even acid-breating sharks to survive in the septic tanks! And Guardian Oozes, which are intelligent, and can lead to an interesting encounter. Aside from that... animated garbage and waste can be fun. They round a corner, and... get attacked by a construct made of nauseating decomposing stuff. Alternatively, Golems out of them. That would really be nasty to pull out...

There is no such book as Dungeonomicon, citizen. Go back to your fun.

Seriously though, it's called Dungeoscape, not Dungeonomicon.

big teej
2011-06-08, 04:32 PM

Aside from that... look in Dungeonomicon. It has some really good stuff for sewers. Even acid-breating sharks to survive in the septic tanks! And Guardian Oozes, which are intelligent, and can lead to an interesting encounter. Aside from that... animated garbage and waste can be fun. They round a corner, and... get attacked by a construct made of nauseating decomposing stuff. Alternatively, Golems out of them. That would really be nasty to pull out...

don't have the dungeonomnomnomnomnomicon

Lateral
2011-06-08, 04:48 PM
Monstrous Crabs. YOUR PLAYERS WILL LEARN TO FEAR THE SEWERS. :smalltongue:

Magesmiley
2011-06-08, 05:43 PM
One I haven't seen mentioned yet is the various vermin. Spiders, maybe a colony of giant ants. Some of the swarms might work too.

Don't forget some of the hazards and interesting bits which aren't creatures:

Slick surfaces which are hard to walk on (lots of balance checks)
Small passages (requiring squeezing or even Escape Artist checks)
Sinkholes
Noxious gases (torches might be a bad idea)
Loose bricks and other rubble
Deep pools of... liquid to be crossed
A room full of large sewer pipes at various heights with stuff on them (possibly requiring jump and climb checks to get around)
Steam (affects visibility at least)
Odd items disposed of or lost by people (rings, coins, toys, knives, bodies, etc.)
A portcullis blocking the way
Locked (or rusted shut) doors
Passageways which have been obviously sealed off
Openings into latrines above, possibly in use (look out below)
Flowing water that can potentially sweep the PCs away
Alchemical substances that were poured out, which now sit atop a pool of water, waiting to be triggered
Intermittent grates shedding dim light into the dark tunnels
Broken pipes, spilling water or waste into the accessways
Molds and slimes
garbage and trash

And don't forget that the various diseases are a very real hazard in a place like a sewer.

big teej
2011-06-08, 06:13 PM
anyone think it outrageous for me to ask for a save against filth fever everytime someone is wounded?

these ARE sewers after all

Cog
2011-06-08, 06:32 PM
Every time? I think so, yes.

Maybe at first blood and again at half HP.

Ajadea
2011-06-08, 06:37 PM
A kraken that swam upstream from the sewer's outflow, but is now stuck in a narrowed tunnel.

Even better? Miniature krakens, that have evolved to thrive in the smaller, foul, rivers of [redacted].

Like this: http://i51.tinypic.com/2e3wh10.png

Except totally evil.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-08, 06:54 PM
Even better? Miniature krakens, that have evolved to thrive in the smaller, foul, rivers of [redacted].

Like this: http://i51.tinypic.com/2e3wh10.png

Except totally evil.

Dungeonbred Krakens, Giant Squids, Giant Octopi, and lots of other tentacle creatures that feed on the Dire Rats, Truly Horrid Rats and Were-Rats that rule the sewers.

Cog
2011-06-08, 06:54 PM
Well, there is a Dungeonbred template, but I'm not aware of a Clownbred template...

Tvtyrant
2011-06-08, 06:58 PM
Well, there is a Dungeonbred template, but I'm not aware of a Clownbred template...

Its in creepyscape, an obscure third party book. I thought everyone on here used it!

Das Platyvark
2011-06-08, 07:09 PM
Otyugh's say something in their fluff about living in sewers because they provide a ready food source.
I second this.

myancey
2011-06-08, 07:43 PM
Mysteries of the Moonsea has an interesting foray into the sewers all planned out. What I found hilarious was that when the party steps into the sewage, they have to make fort saves to resist disease. It has four types of disease you can give them.

McSmack
2011-06-08, 07:46 PM
I think we're overlooking the obvious here.

POO!

But other than that I recall some sort of giant cockroach thing that takes over people's bodies a la that dude from MIB.

Roach swarms, Arcane oozes, snakes, alligators, I also seem to recall some sort of psioniclly intelliegent rat swarm from the PHB that was pretty neat. tainted water elementals, living cloud kill spells, anything with the horrid template from ECS.

JaronK
2011-06-08, 07:58 PM
A clever city would have automatic reset traps of Purify Food and Drink that get cast over and over on the water running through the sewers, with the initial water generated by Decanters of Endless Water. This purifies the liquid until by the time it drains out (into nearby farmland) it's just pure water with nutrients.

JaronK

big teej
2011-06-09, 01:26 AM
A clever city would have automatic reset traps of Purify Food and Drink that get cast over and over on the water running through the sewers, with the initial water generated by Decanters of Endless Water. This purifies the liquid until by the time it drains out (into nearby farmland) it's just pure water with nutrients.

JaronK

this is actually a dwarf trade outpost/town/thingy.

so I don't think that's quite on the budget.

however, beautiful idea.

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-06-09, 02:30 AM
filth elemental. born from the dumping of acrane waste down the drains.

Coidzor
2011-06-09, 02:34 AM
Doppelgangers are supposedly perennial favorites as far as denizens of sewers go. I think sometimes Mind Flayers or Necromancers will set up shop temporarily in some corner of the place.

Thieves Guilds and other organized crime groups might have certain areas they keep clear of nasties so they can use them as streets below...

Sometimes you can find hobopolises or other undercities' entrances hidden in the sewers or even the undercities themselves hidden in more-or-less difficult to access portions of the sewers

Tvtyrant
2011-06-09, 02:44 AM
According to Undermountain sewers inevitably feed into massive dungeons. Otherwise where would the sewage go?

Amiel
2011-06-09, 03:47 AM
Massive sewer rats (of at least Huge size), smeared with urine and faeces; their halitosis or stench aura would force an effect similar to contagion.

Gwendol
2011-06-09, 04:19 AM
In addition to rats, oozes, gators, etc I have funghi, mold, rot grub and other vermin and swarms. Journalists and litigation lawyers?

Bhaakon
2011-06-09, 04:41 AM
A troop of public sanitation workers.

The flukeman from the X-files.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-06-09, 04:57 AM
Constructs which were originally designed to maintain and upkeep the sewers, to keep it from backing up. However, they do their job too well, and will attack anyone who draws near to 'keep the flow going'.

Cancer Mage. It must be done.

Ghouls looking for braaaaaains.

Bulettes. You're never safe from Jaws-clones.

Aside from the obvious oozes, you've also got various molds, mushrooms, and other fungi.

There's also Purple Worm, but only if his name is Jeff.

Feytalist
2011-06-09, 05:08 AM
A portal to the paraelemental plane of ooze. (Or an actual portal to the plane of water, with all the nasties that escapes along with it.

Also, various thief hideouts, cults and general unsavoury characters.

Pun not intended.

Telonius
2011-06-09, 08:41 AM
According to Undermountain sewers inevitably feed into massive dungeons. Otherwise where would the sewage go?

Oooh, there's an idea. You might find a group of Druids debating whether or not to block up the sewer to teach those townies a lesson. One side maintains it's emptying into a river, another points out a whole ecosystem has cropped up within the sewer.

Cog
2011-06-09, 09:42 AM
Constructs which were originally designed to maintain and upkeep the sewers, to keep it from backing up. However, they do their job too well, and will attack anyone who draws near to 'keep the flow going'.
They're all Knockback Dungeoncrashers, too, the better to break up the clogs. They're perfectly happy to let you in, of course; you're headed in the direction of the flow, so you can pass by them with ease; they won't even look at you funny, so you've got no reason to suspect they'll be trouble.

It's the return that's tricky. Try to walk past them the other way and they send you flying downstream.

ShriekingDrake
2011-06-09, 12:00 PM
I may have missed it, but what levels are your players?

In the interim consider the following.
Darkmantles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/darkmantle.htm)
Delvers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/delver.htm), if the campaign is this high.
Destrachan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/destrachan.htm), if your campaign is this high.
Driders (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/drider.htm)
Fungi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm)
Gibbering Mouthers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gibberingMouther.htm)
Grimlocks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm)
An escaped Homunculus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/homunculus.htm)
Leech Swarm (a too-low CR'd critter swarm from Stormwrack)
Meenlocks (difficult, low-CR opponents from MMII)
Mimics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mimic.htm)
Phantom Fungus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/phantomFungus.htm)
Rust Monsters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rustMonster.htm)
Shadows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadow.htm)
Steam Mephits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm#steamMephit)
Tentamort (I don't remember where they're printed)
Thoqquas (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/thoqqua.htm)

big teej
2011-06-09, 01:02 PM
I may have missed it, but what levels are your players?

In the interim consider the following.
Darkmantles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/darkmantle.htm)
Delvers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/delver.htm), if the campaign is this high.
Destrachan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/destrachan.htm), if your campaign is this high.
Driders (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/drider.htm)
Fungi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm)
Gibbering Mouthers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gibberingMouther.htm)
Grimlocks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm)
An escaped Homunculus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/homunculus.htm)
Leech Swarm (a too-low CR'd critter swarm from Stormwrack)
Meenlocks (difficult, low-CR opponents from MMII)
Mimics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mimic.htm)
Phantom Fungus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/phantomFungus.htm)
Rust Monsters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rustMonster.htm)
Shadows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadow.htm)
Steam Mephits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm#steamMephit)
Tentamort (I don't remember where they're printed)
Thoqquas (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/thoqqua.htm)

my players are level: uber noob
I.E. we have a player planning on taking a tiefling bard into dragon disciple

my party's level is going to be 4

subject42
2011-06-09, 01:30 PM
this is actually a dwarf trade outpost/town/thingy.

If that's the case, the sewer effluvium will likely be alcoholic on top of any other qualities that it has.

Cog
2011-06-09, 01:31 PM
Well, duh. Tieflings get a Charisma penalty; obviously, as a Bard, you'll want to patch that!

big teej
2011-06-09, 01:39 PM
If that's the case, the sewer effluvium will likely be alcoholic on top of any other qualities that it has.

I like this
+ 3 points for you :smallbiggrin:

ShriekingDrake
2011-06-09, 02:29 PM
my players are level: uber noob

my party's level is going to be 4

Then a lot of the critters I recommended should be pretty good from a level, feel, and teaching newer players standpoint.

Careful with those Leech Swarms, they're a tpk machine if you're not careful.

I still can't find the location for stats of the Tentamort, I'm sorry to say. IT's such a cool creature, ideal for lurking along one of the sewer walls. Anyone know what book it's in? It might have been in one of the Tome of Horrors books, now that I think about it. Perhaps WoTC didn't publish it. Nonetheless, it's a great sewer-dwelling creature. I think you might also be able to find stats for it in one of James Jacobs adventure path books in Pathfinder. It might be Burnt Offerings.

Finally, let me encourage you to consider the Taunting Haunt from MMV. It could be fun to have the party deal with the lost soul that so confuses.