PDA

View Full Version : Very basic calculation help

hobbitkniver
2011-06-08, 03:13 PM
Well, I'm not especially good at remembering rules and how things work exactly in 3.5, so I'd like to make sure by asking the forums. I've got a +3 composite longbow made for +4 strength modifier. I've got 18 strength and dexterity so does this add up to 1d8+11 damage or just 1d8+7? I feel like it should be +11 but it just looks a bit too strong.

gbprime
2011-06-08, 03:16 PM
Well, I'm not especially good at remember rulse and how things work exactly in 3.5, so I'd like to make sure by asking the forums. I've got a +3 composite longbow made for +4 strength modifier. I've got 18 strength and dexterity so does this add up to 1d8+11 damage or just 1d8+7? I feel like it should be +11 but it just looks a bit too strong.

1d8+7 is the correct answer. You get +3 for the enhancement bonus and +4 for your strength bonus. Dexterity does not give a bonus to damage unless you have a feat or class ability that says otherwise.

hobbitkniver
2011-06-08, 03:26 PM
1d8+7 is the correct answer. You get +3 for the enhancement bonus and +4 for your strength bonus. Dexterity does not give a bonus to damage unless you have a feat or class ability that says otherwise.

What feats or classes give such a bonus? I am a ranger if it matters.

Big Fau
2011-06-08, 03:36 PM

The Devs were really paranoid about that. Only a few abilities give Dex to Damage, and of them, most of them are for melee-only. Check here and look in those sources. You may find something for bows. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=215.0)

gbprime
2011-06-08, 03:38 PM

Obscure stuff.

I refer you to the following thread. It's all about getting a stat to act as a bonus to things it doesn't normally effect.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=215.0

There's not a lot there that flat out adds DEX to damage, not in the same way a Swashbuckler gets INT to damage anyway.

EDIT - Swordsaged. :smallsigh:

Rhaegar14
2011-06-08, 03:51 PM
Dead Eye is a feat out of Dragon Magazine Compendium that adds Dexterity to damage with ranged attacks within 30 ft. range. The original feat requires Base Attack +17 but it was errata'd to +1.