PDA

View Full Version : Electromagnetic Storm to Hit Earth Tonight

Gaius Marius
2011-06-08, 04:11 PM
I heard on the news that the largest solar flare to hit the earth since 1989 will hit a glancing blow on earth tonight.

Anybody dare to speculate the repercussion on our currently high-tech society? I know that in 1989, there had been a massive blackout in Quebec because of the interference...

Emperor Ing
2011-06-08, 04:15 PM
Auroras :smallbiggrin:

Borgh
2011-06-08, 04:27 PM
sounds cool, i'm curious to what the effects will be.

ah well. Mad Max, here we go!

Gamerlord
2011-06-08, 04:28 PM
This is going to be interesting.

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 04:56 PM
Hmm. Do you suppose Magneto would theoretically be affected by electromagnetic storms? Perhaps he'd come down with a head cold...

thubby
2011-06-08, 05:16 PM
Hmm. Do you suppose Magneto would theoretically be affected by electromagnetic storms? Perhaps he'd come down with a head cold...

knowing marvel, he'd gain unspeakable power.

Gaius Marius
2011-06-08, 05:19 PM
knowing marvel, he'd gain unspeakable power.

But he couldn't control them.

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 06:38 PM
Probably true.:smallfrown: The best would be if he started sticking to anything made of ferrous metal...a reversal of fortunes as it were. ;D Much hilarity would ensue!

Dr.Epic
2011-06-08, 07:17 PM
This could be my one chance to get real superpowers since PETA took away the various radioactive animals I was trying to get to bite me.

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 07:27 PM
Ooo, yeah! Fantastic Four wouldn't lie to us!

Dr.Epic
2011-06-08, 07:48 PM
Ooo, yeah! Fantastic Four wouldn't lie to us!

But they'd let us down with two disappointing films.

Gaius Marius
2011-06-08, 08:25 PM
But they'd let us down with two disappointing films.

Let's not be bitter over the past.

Let's be bitter about the future. How crappy will their 3rd movie be?

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-08, 08:34 PM
Well, three dimensional suck would be a novel experience...but not one I'd really look forward to.

Gaius Marius
2011-06-08, 08:42 PM
Well, three dimensional suck would be a novel experience...but not one I'd really look forward to.

Depends what kind of "suck" will be in 3d... :smallamused:

... but let's avoid this topic on this forum :smallredface:

factotum
2011-06-09, 01:23 AM
Well, three dimensional suck would be a novel experience...

Really? I thought that was pretty much standard fitment on 3D films, looking at the sort of dross that's out there with that technology in it...

Amiel
2011-06-09, 01:26 AM
Without the internet or Google, what will become of the great race of humanity?

Teutonic Knight
2011-06-09, 01:35 AM
You know, that's the problem with these kinds of predictions because "tonight" is relative to where you heard the news. Tonight here is tomorrow somewhere else, and still daytime somewhere else.

Well, it's night now, almost tomorrow, and my computer is still up and running isn't it? :smallbiggrin:

Gaius Marius
2011-06-09, 06:12 AM
You know, that's the problem with these kinds of predictions because "tonight" is relative to where you heard the news. Tonight here is tomorrow somewhere else, and still daytime somewhere else.

Well, it's night now, almost tomorrow, and my computer is still up and running isn't it? :smallbiggrin:

It was suppowed to be about the east coast.

But yhea, little effect on the world's communication, apparently. Looks like even our satellite network isnresistant.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-09, 06:27 AM
Let's not be bitter over the past.

Let's be bitter about the future. How crappy will their 3rd movie be?

What? They're making a third movie? I thought it was getting a reboot. What is it with film franchises that should die/be rebooted making more films:

-X-Men
-Indiana Jones
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-Transformers

grimbold
2011-06-09, 12:40 PM
well
my compy is still alive so i'm not complaining

Dr.Epic
2011-06-09, 12:55 PM
well
my compy is still alive so i'm not complaining

You need to get a Lappy.

Lateral
2011-06-09, 03:52 PM
You need to get a Lappy.

Bah! You kids and your newfangled Lappys; back in my day, we used the Corpy NT6 and we liked it! :smalltongue:

Traab
2011-06-09, 05:39 PM
Bah! You kids and your newfangled Lappys; back in my day, we used the Corpy NT6 and we liked it! :smalltongue:

Meh, I liked my commodore with the big fancy floppy drive! I could play a MEAN game of newspaper boy on that puppy!

ImaginaryGirl
2011-06-10, 01:28 PM
I miss my Amiga. :smallfrown:

grimbold
2011-06-12, 06:02 AM
This could be my one chance to get real superpowers since PETA took away the various radioactive animals I was trying to get to bite me.

silly PETA ruining our good american fun
:smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2011-06-12, 06:13 AM
I'm expecting the sky to light up like a plasma globe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_globe) tonight now.

If it doesn't I'm holding Gaius Marius personally responsible, and wll come to his house & slap him with a trout.

You have been warned...

Lateral
2011-06-12, 09:16 PM
I'm expecting the sky to light up like a plasma globe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_globe) tonight now.

If it doesn't I'm holding Gaius Marius personally responsible, and wll come to his house & slap him with a trout.

You have been warned...

But... thread... four days ago... you can't... already... *mind asplodes*

Kobold-Bard
2011-06-13, 01:13 AM
But... thread... four days ago... you can't... already... *mind asplodes*

I can't be held accountable just because the OP doesn't have the ability to travel through time. Nor is it at all my fault that I didn't look at the date of the original post before I made an idiot of myself.

Gaius Marius
2011-06-13, 09:47 AM
Dude, I am waiting for you. You are welcomed to come and try.

Nobody can try to pin time-travel paradox causality on my back and expect me to take it lying down.

You gotta AT LEAST involve nanobots in the whole shenanigan.

bluewind95
2011-06-13, 05:34 PM
Hey, Gaius. The world didn't end. I'd donated all my money to your prophesy efforts. I want my money back. :smallannoyed:

Gaius Marius
2011-06-13, 06:45 PM
Hey, Gaius. The world didn't end. I'd donated all my money to your prophesy efforts. I want my money back. :smallannoyed:

Do not worry. Your money will be properly administrated by our Spiritual Retirement Fund, which aims to secure and protect any contribution from this world to be passed unto the next, where you shall enjoy its full benefit.

Obviously, since in the next, you don't actually need money or material possession, I'll just make sure you earn your paradise by knowing you made a worthy contribution to a charity organisation; my bank account. I am sure whomever judge you will take that in consideration to check if you qualify for a happy afterlife.

Thank you for your business, and don't forget to insulate your electronics against EM pulses.