PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get by with no carrying capacity at low levels?

RndmNumGen
2011-06-09, 12:52 AM
For reasons I don't really feel are relevant to this conversation, I have found myself playing a character in a Pathfinder game with only 6 strength, putting his light carrying capacity at... 20 pounds. Right now I have leather armor(15), a light crossbow(4) and a single quiver of bolts(1), and in order to prevent going into medium load, I bought a mule and have had him carry my bedroll, rations, waterskin and other important survival stuff.

I've just hit level 2, so I don't have a lot of gold available, though I will definitely want to buy a Handy Haversack when I can afford it. In the mean-time, I was thinking of getting a Darkwood Crossbow to save 2 pounds, and when we get a bit more loot, a Mithril Chain Shirt to save another 3 pounds and boost my AC some. Not sure what else I should be looking at though, or if there are any good low-level options for saving on weight.

Amnestic
2011-06-09, 12:57 AM
Buy a horse and saddlebags. They cost a pittance and can carry far more than you can.

One of these days I'll learn to read and then post.

One day.

RndmNumGen
2011-06-09, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I've got that for carrying bulky stuff around, what I need is a way to carry more stuff that is important in the heat of combat. Like a weapon, for instance(though being effective with it is another matter entirely...)

Coidzor
2011-06-09, 01:17 AM
Hmm. Use your actions to direct attack mules/dogs/cats instead?

Can you trade a standard for a move in PF? Because if so you can direct two creatures to try to set up a flanking attack together and then redirect them to flank or tell two more creatures to do so the next round.

Edit: Are you smaller than Medium? Did you remember to look into what items weigh for you as a result if so?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-06-09, 03:46 AM
What class are you playing? would it be possible to cast or UMD something like Tenser's floating disk?

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-09, 04:27 AM
I think we're all forgetting something:

Let the Big Dumb Fighter carry all of your gear.

That's why he's there.

Thefurmonger
2011-06-09, 06:57 AM
The Spell "Ant Haul" from the APG is made for this and is 2 hours/level.

RndmNumGen
2011-06-09, 09:26 AM
Edit: Are you smaller than Medium? Did you remember to look into what items weigh for you as a result if so?

Nope, I'm an Elan, so Medium.

What class are you playing? would it be possible to cast or UMD something like Tenser's floating disk?

Psion 1/Bard 1. So I can UMD as a temporary solution, but something a little more premanent would be nice. For RP reasons, I avoid using my powers as much as possible(I do not have the same restriction on magic, though).

I think we're all forgetting something:

Let the Big Dumb Fighter carry all of your gear.

That's why he's there.

We don't have one! Yes, we have an odd party.

Coidzor
2011-06-09, 09:31 AM
I stand by Handle Animal then. Especially if you go with bardic music at all.

Just_Ice
2011-06-09, 09:45 AM
Roll your stuff downhill, and don't go anywhere that requires you to go uphill.

Telonius
2011-06-09, 09:51 AM
Is Magic Item Compendium allowed? There's a +1500gp armor enhancement called "Easy Travel" that can help tremendously.

Cog
2011-06-09, 10:12 AM
Is Magic Item Compendium allowed? There's a +1500gp armor enhancement called "Easy Travel" that can help tremendously.
He's second level and can't even afford a Haversack.

Telonius
2011-06-09, 10:25 AM
He's second level and can't even afford a Haversack.

Understood, but he's talking about getting a mithral chain shirt. That would be 1000gp to get a 2.5 pound decrease in weight carried, versus 2500gp (to enchant his leather to +1 easy travel) to essentially double his carrying capacity and not have to worry about the Haversack for a little bit longer.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-06-09, 10:34 AM
Roll your stuff downhill, and don't go anywhere that requires you to go uphill.

Remember to buy your stuff at the highest point you can find.

Slipperychicken
2011-06-09, 10:47 AM
Doesn't pulling items rather than carrying them give you more capacity? you could try a wheelbarrow, rickshaw, or something similar.

A character can generally push or drag along the ground as much as five times his maximum load
I don't see anything here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alignment-description/carrying-capacity) about reducing your movement speed this way...

Unless your GM is reeeaaally strict, you could probably get him to accept you dragging 100lbs around in a wheelbarrow as being approximately the same effort (less, probably) than dragging it on the ground.

Cog
2011-06-09, 10:50 AM
Remember to buy your stuff at the highest point you can find.
If turning gravity 180 degrees is a 7th-level spell, turning it only 20 degrees should be a first-level spell.

Starbuck_II
2011-06-09, 10:58 AM
Buy a tooth from Tome of Magic? Binder teeth set has one tooth slot item that grants dwarven "no slow you down" ability.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 11:24 AM
If turning gravity 180 degrees is a 7th-level spell, turning it only 20 degrees should be a first-level spell.

I pray that you aren't being serious. Still, that is actually a pretty good idea if it could be researched and persisted, but a psion/bard would have difficulty with that.

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 11:28 AM
Take ranks in UMD, and have your Raven familiar cast Floating Disk from a wand. Then ride around (at his movement rate) with no worries about encumbrance.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 11:40 AM
Take ranks in UMD, and have your Raven familiar cast Floating Disk from a wand. Then ride around (at his movement rate) with no worries about encumbrance.

Whoa, never noticed that.

Floating Disk
Evocation [Force]

Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: 3-ft.-diameter disk of force
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You create a slightly concave, circular plane of force that follows you about and carries loads for you. The disk is 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch deep at its center. It can hold 100 pounds of weight per caster level. (If used to transport a liquid, its capacity is 2 gallons.) The disk floats approximately 3 feet above the ground at all times and remains level. It floats along horizontally within spell range and will accompany you at a rate of no more than your normal speed each round. If not otherwise directed, it maintains a constant interval of 5 feet between itself and you. The disk winks out of existence when the spell duration expires. The disk also winks out if you move beyond range or try to take the disk more than 3 feet away from the surface beneath it. When the disk winks out, whatever it was supporting falls to the surface beneath it.

Material Component
A drop of mercury.

The 'normal speed' of a raven is 40ft flight. Now you can surf your disk through the air if you command your familiar to do so.

Wait, wouldn't the effect be based off who crafted it, not the user?

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 12:31 PM
Whoa, never noticed that.

The 'normal speed' of a raven is 40ft flight. Now you can surf your disk through the air if you command your familiar to do so.

Wait, wouldn't the effect be based off who crafted it, not the user?

No, the activator is treated as the caster for things that wouldn't make sense otherwise.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 12:55 PM
No, the activator is treated as the caster for things that wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Screw Abrupt Jaunt, I'm getting mahself a raven ASAP.

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 01:03 PM

You can have both.

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 01:08 PM
You can have both.

Most builds have better things to do with feats than get critters that you will only use for a floaty disk that you can get carted around on.

The more I write, the more want it. *Crosses off Craft Wondrous Item from build plan.*

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 01:14 PM
You have a Raven, with UMD, and the only thing you can think of is getting carted around? Don't forget to get him a Wand Bracelet (MIC).

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 01:18 PM
You have a Raven, with UMD, and the only thing you can think of is getting carted around? Don't forget to get him a Wand Bracelet (MIC).

*Has mental image of one wizard guy with a raven plastered in magic items*

Well, that WBL has to go somewhere.

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 02:31 PM
*Has mental image of one wizard guy with a raven plastered in magic items*

Well, that WBL has to go somewhere.

It's called diversifying your portfolio.:smallbiggrin:

HalfDragonCube
2011-06-09, 02:35 PM
It's called diversifying your portfolio.:smallbiggrin:

I am unworthy.

Jeebers
2011-07-02, 09:20 PM
Easy.

First off, have you ever heard of buying a wagon and a pair of horses to pull it?

Second, there is a magic item in Magic of Faerun which can solve most of your problems. It's a cloak that weighs 1lb, and costs 1,200 gp I think. It's called a Travel Cloak:

5 cold resistance
turns into a 1 man tent once per day
grants travel rations for one each day
gives you up to 2 gallons a day of either sugared hot tea or cool spring water
sheds all forms of precipitation down to your knees

Basically, all you need is Cold Weather Outfit for arctic conditions, and a bedroll. You can buy a Troll Gut Rope from that same Magic of Faerun book, or at least get a Silk Rope to minimize weight. You may want soap and a mirror, I dunno. Remember that you get one free outfit you can wear at all times (choose one), and it doesn't count towards encumbrance.

Coidzor
2011-07-03, 03:51 AM

everyone should have a raven or a hummingbird depending upon their circumstances, really.

Yora
2011-07-03, 05:01 AM
Innertial Armor is a 1st level psion power that can be made completely invisible without any extra effort. As powers don't have verbal or somatic components, you could manifest it without anyone noticing, except when casting detect magic on you. It proides you with a +4 armor bonus for 1 hour/level. With this, you don't need to wear armor, which cuts your load by half.

Bhaakon
2011-07-03, 05:02 AM
Muleback chords (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items-from-apg#TOC-Muleback-Cords). Costs 1,000 gp (half the haversack, only a bit more than a wand) and increases your strength by 8 for purposes of carrying capacity.

Feriority
2011-07-03, 06:02 AM

Hmm. If you can do this, the downward effect of gravity is reduced, so you should be able to carry... 60/cos(20 degrees) = ~63.85 lbs. That's almost four whole extra pounds of carrying capacity! :smallbiggrin:

Of course, you'll have the slight problem of acceleration in the direction you've pointed gravity towards. I recommend boots with really good grips, so the tiny bit of extra gravitational force in that direction is countered by static friction. Then just be careful you don't fall over and you should be just fine :smallwink:

Jeebers
2011-07-04, 04:43 AM
Uh, Yora? Mage Armor is a first level Wizard spell that does the same, but lasts 2 hours per caster level. No need to go as far as psionics.

faceroll
2011-07-04, 04:52 AM
Uh, Yora? Mage Armor is a first level Wizard spell that does the same, but lasts 2 hours per caster level. No need to go as far as psionics.

Mage Armor lasts 1hr/lvl. The OP has already stated that he is a psion1/bard1.

Jeebers
2011-07-04, 05:09 AM
Oh well. Must've been thinking of an older edition rules.