PDA

View Full Version : Incarnum question

big teej
2011-06-09, 02:02 AM
does incarnum have any support outside of Magic of Incarnum?

(homebrew notwithstanding)

NoldorForce
2011-06-09, 02:05 AM
Yes, but not much.

-Dragon Magic has a few soulmelds for everyone.
-Dragon #350 has three soulmelds for totemists.
-Faiths of Eberron has a PrC, Thief of Life, that can grant temporary essentia. (It's rather mediocre, though.)

Kantolin
2011-06-09, 02:06 AM
There are a small but interesting amount of soulmelds in dragon magic, on page 82.

That's all I know of.

Derjuin
2011-06-09, 02:06 AM
There's also this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) Wizards article, detailing a psionic adaptation of the Soul Caster and a few new soulmelds (including astral vambraces, a rather nice soulmeld).

Darth Stabber
2011-06-09, 02:33 AM
The previous posters have hit on all the ones I know of, and I have searched pretty thoroughly (totemist fanboy and all). I was hoping that there would be a "Complete Meldshaper", but obviously that never happened.

Couldn't tell you about the incarnate melds, but the totemist melds in Dragon Magic are excellent. With out it, you have to wait until lvl 2 for natural weapons. Those are the only reason that I own Dragon Magic, since I am really annoyed by them having 3 dragon fanboy books in 3.x (dragonomicon {which should have been the only one}, Races of the Dragon {kobold cheese}, and Dragon magic {more kobold cheese and a dragonfanboy base class, but atleast there are soulmelds}).

As much as I hate 4e, I would love to see what they would come up with to port incarnum to that system (auto points off if they just slightly modify the psionics systems and call PP essentia)

Yucca
2011-06-09, 10:55 AM
There's some Incarnum based gear in the Magic Item Compendium.

Analytica
2011-06-09, 12:50 PM
Some Faerun Incarnum fluff at:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070808

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070904

Greenish
2011-06-09, 01:26 PM
There's some Incarnum based gear in the Magic Item Compendium.Mostly stuff reprinted from MoI, I seem to recall.

Veyr
2011-06-09, 01:29 PM
I think the Incarnum Foci got repriced (cheaper, IIRC).

big teej
2011-06-09, 01:44 PM
going the other direction now

I imagine there is massive support in the homebrew side of life?

I mean, to be honest, it doesn't strike me as out of whack to just taking existing soulmelds (such as the sailor's gauntlets) and just swap out the skills and the name.
(I.E. guantlets of the blacksmith + 2 to craft checks per essentia)

so how large a source is homebrew for new soulmelds?

Draz74
2011-06-09, 02:08 PM
As much as I hate 4e, I would love to see what they would come up with to port incarnum to that system (auto points off if they just slightly modify the psionics systems and call PP essentia)

I stumbled across this adaptation (http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/Magic%20of%20Incarnum%204E.pdf) the other day. I don't know 4e well enough to really judge it closely, but for homebrew, it looks awfully professional and well thought-out.

Darth Stabber
2011-06-09, 02:25 PM
I'm working on a soulmeld powered by warforged souls. Basic effect = 25% fortification +1 bonus on fortitude saves per essentia against effect that affect object. Totem bind = 2 slams and +1 enhancement per essentia. Heart bind = immunity to precision damage and crits. Totemist only so far, but after some testing (none done so far) I may open it up to incarnates and soulborn. As a note: entirely untested, no information on balance.

Of course in the setting it's designed for Warforged are gnomes that have barely survived catastophic injuries, and are put into mechanical forms to escape their failing bodies. The process has severe mental trauma that robs them of most of their previous class abilities (ripped from Elan's fluff), and reduces the normal gnomish aptitude for magic to zero. During several intense wars, gnomish totemists gained a great respect for their warrior brothers, leading to them crafting a special meld to call on their great strength and resiliance. Before to long non-gnomes figured it out and started using it.

Person_Man
2011-06-09, 03:03 PM
They also updated one or two Incarnum related items in the Magic Item Compendium.

And there is some great homebrew options on our forum, but as you recognized, it's homebrew.

big teej
2011-06-09, 03:10 PM
I'm working on a soulmeld powered by warforged souls. Basic effect = 25% fortification +snip snip snip.

If I recall correctly... don't adamant pauldrons grant light fortification?

Darth Stabber
2011-06-09, 03:17 PM
If I recall correctly... don't adamant pauldrons grant light fortification?

Quite true, but not on the totemist list. The suggested meld was based on the pauldrons initially.

Lans
2011-06-09, 11:47 PM
Their was a prestige class that gave a point of essentia when you drained a dudes soul or something. I don't remember much about it except essentia was mentioned

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-09, 11:51 PM
Complete Mage has an Invocation that lets you add every point of essentia invested as an extra 1d6 on your eldritch blast.

Big Fau
2011-06-10, 12:29 AM
Complete Mage has an Invocation that lets you add every point of essentia invested as an extra 1d6 on your eldritch blast.

Actually, that was in the MoI itself.

big teej
2011-06-10, 12:20 PM
can anyone direct me to the more extensive soulmeld homebrews?

Person_Man
2011-06-10, 02:29 PM
can anyone direct me to the more extensive soulmeld homebrews?

I have not one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119121), but two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156441), but two different Soulborn fixes. The first one just speeds up it's progression and adds a bunch of Smite abilities. The second is a real fix, and combines the Soulborn with the Soulknife plus some new abilities that I wrote up. I've play tested both, and would suggest using the latter.

I also have a Forsaker Totemist (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giantitp.com%2Fforums%2Fshowt hread.php%3Ft%3D172094&rct=j&q=forsaker%20totemist&ei=nHDyTbXIEcrLgQe9zKzbCw&usg=AFQjCNEngkRETuPyJHoM7j-8GnCELZrLKg&cad=rja) homebrew which has been played by me and others, which basically gives up all material possessions in exchange for a variety of fairly strong abilities and improved essentia/soulmeld/chakra bind progression.

big teej
2011-06-10, 03:04 PM
helpful indeed Person-Man

but I meant individual soulmelds, not the classes themselves

Blackfang108
2011-06-13, 09:04 PM
Yes, but not much.

-Dragon Magic has a few soulmelds for everyone.

FALSE.

Dragon Magic has a few soulmelds for those who have Dragon Blood of some sort.

Glimbur
2011-06-13, 09:08 PM
helpful indeed Person-Man

but I meant individual soulmelds, not the classes themselves

I've done some for Incarnate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6496398), Totemist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6321801), and for Soulborn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127348) (with a fix for Soulborn as well). There's more stuff in the extended sig.

Big Fau
2011-06-13, 11:08 PM
FALSE.

Dragon Magic has a few soulmelds for those who have Dragon Blood of some sort.

Which made no sense at all. Blood has nothing to do with shaping soulmelds, and the dragonic soulmelds are mechanically identical to normal ones.

Coidzor
2011-06-14, 12:06 AM
Which made no sense at all. Blood has nothing to do with shaping soulmelds, and the dragonic soulmelds are mechanically identical to normal ones.

It makes perfect sense when you apply the sideways logic of warped reality. Game designers need to be smacked every once in awhile to keep them in working order.

NoldorForce
2011-06-14, 03:34 AM
FALSE.

Dragon Magic has a few soulmelds for those who have Dragon Blood of some sort.When I said "everyone", I meant that they were (as a group) available to all meldshaping classes, rather than just the totemist (see Dragon 350).

Good point, though, on the nonsensical requirement for dragonblood.

big teej
2011-06-14, 08:08 AM
When I said "everyone", I meant that they were (as a group) available to all meldshaping classes, rather than just the totemist (see Dragon 350).

Good point, though, on the nonsensical requirement for dragonblood.

doesn't dissolving spittle draw on the souls of acidic dragons?

I recall reading that in the fluffyness

and, provided I'm remembering correctly, wouldn't that make the 'dragon blood' requirement even more wonky?

Darth Stabber
2011-06-14, 09:12 AM

and, provided I'm remembering correctly, wouldn't that make the 'dragon blood' requirement even more wonky?

Thinking about any of the dwagon books is bad for your soul. What's worse is the dwagon born of bahamas. Seriously 3 books of that shlock is too much for one edition.
:P

NoldorForce
2011-06-14, 10:10 AM

and, provided I'm remembering correctly, wouldn't that make the 'dragon blood' requirement even more wonky?Left hand ain't watching the right.

Big Fau
2011-06-14, 03:00 PM

No, it just has designs similar to a copper or black dragon.

Left hand ain't watching the right.

It really doesn't help that 4 people worked on the book. Different people with different ideas all working on one project never turns out well when there's a deadline to meet.

Greenish
2011-06-14, 03:12 PM
Which made no sense at all. Blood has nothing to do with shaping soulmelds, and the dragonic soulmelds are mechanically identical to normal ones.Well, it sort of has a logic when it comes to totemists, since their soulmelds are normally about magical beasts. Adding dragons without some handwaving would seem wrong, too.

Big Fau
2011-06-14, 03:18 PM
Well, it sort of has a logic when it comes to totemists, since their soulmelds are normally about magical beasts. Adding dragons without some handwaving would seem wrong, too.

Meldshaping involves the souls of the dead, living, and those yet to be, not blood. While it's never exactly stated, one can infer that a Totemist uses the essentia produced by magical beasts to shape soulmelds.

Which is why requiring blood makes no sense. There are plenty of dragon souls out there, and it's not like they notice when you use their essentia...

Veyr
2011-06-14, 03:20 PM
Also, is a totemist of all things going to know the technical differences between a magical beast and a dragon? These are guys who worship big nasty monsters; dragons are about as big and nasty as they come.

Big Fau
2011-06-14, 03:29 PM
Also, is a totemist of all things going to know the technical differences between a magical beast and a dragon? These are guys who worship big nasty monsters; dragons are about as big and nasty as they come.

Knowledge (Arcana) is a class skill. And Spellcraft.

Weird for an illiterate class, huh?

Greenish
2011-06-14, 03:38 PM
Meldshaping involves the souls of the dead, living, and those yet to be, not blood. While it's never exactly stated, one can infer that a Totemist uses the essentia produced by magical beasts to shape soulmelds.

Which is why requiring blood makes no sense. There are plenty of dragon souls out there, and it's not like they notice when you use their essentia...Yeah, it's a handwave, but it would be weird either way, is my point.

Also, is a totemist of all things going to know the technical differences between a magical beast and a dragon? These are guys who worship big nasty monsters; dragons are about as big and nasty as they come.I was thinking of the same thing, but presumably there is a difference in their very soulstuff.

Knowledge (Arcana) is a class skill. And Spellcraft.

Weird for an illiterate class, huh?Illiterate doesn't necessarily mean ignorant or even uneducated, even if they correlate in real world (sorry if this insulted any illit- actually, never mind).

Big Fau
2011-06-14, 03:40 PM
Illiterate doesn't necessarily mean ignorant or even uneducated, even if they correlate in real world (sorry if this insulted any illit- actually, never mind).

I know that. But those skills usually require reading, which makes it funny.

Veyr
2011-06-14, 04:09 PM
Knowledge (Arcana) is a class skill.
Which only encourages, to my mind, the concept of them considering dragons very much acceptable as totem-creatures, no? Since, ya know, they can go out of their way to learn about them?

Big Fau
2011-06-14, 04:12 PM
Which only encourages, to my mind, the concept of them considering dragons very much acceptable as totem-creatures, no? Since, ya know, they can go out of their way to learn about them?

I'm just glad that K(Arcana) is the skill needed to ID Magical Beasts. Wouldn't want to end up like the Dragon Shaman now would we?

Veyr
2011-06-14, 04:16 PM
Don't they also get Knowledge (Nature) anyway?

Big Fau
2011-06-14, 04:22 PM
Don't they also get Knowledge (Nature) anyway?

That and the Planes, yes.