PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a certain magic item

Scribble
2011-06-09, 02:26 AM
I'm trying to find a certain magic item and it's nature makes trying to find it using google sort of hard.

The book is called something like a Tome of Tomes, you open it up and you can stick a book into it and it stores the book inside a page til you want it later. My google fu seems weak trying to find something like this when D&D is full of normal books about magic items.

Scribble
2011-06-09, 03:18 PM
Finally located it again.

Tome of Books, from Underdark pg76

Tancred
2011-06-10, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the second post. I knew I'd seen it recently and it was driving me nuts trying to think where.

My brain even made the Underdark association, but of course I went looking in Drow of the Underdark instead... :smallfrown:

Zaq
2011-06-10, 07:43 PM
Aww, that's an artifact? That seems awfully harsh for something that's just a larger, but strictly limited, Handy Haversack.

Since it clearly doesn't have artifact-level power (even minor artifact-level), how would you price it as a normal item? That's amazingly flavorful, but really not actually that good.

Let's see, one of my big (though not ginormous; I am fully aware of the fact that there are many larger—also, Firefox thinks that "ginormous" is a perfectly acceptable word) dictionaries is about 8" by 10" by 2.5", roughly. It weighs, at a guess, maybe 3 or 4 pounds, and contains 1,540 pages, which is rather a bit more than the 100 pages in a standard spellbook, even accounting for the differences in weight between parchment and modern paper. The PHB lists a spellbook as 3 pounds.

So, this thing takes up roughly 0.1157 cubic feet and weighs (let's call it) 4 pounds. A bog-standard HHH (chosen over the BoH for its sorting capabilities, which I think are somewhat relevant) can hold 2 cubic feet (20 pounds) in the small container and 8 cubic feet (80 pounds) in the larger container. Weight is definitely more of a limiting factor than volume is in this case, so an HHH can hold about 25 copies of this dictionary, or about 33 PHB-standard spellbooks. If we ignore the sorting factor and just go for the big carrying capacity, a BoH type IV can hold 1,500 lb and 250 cubic feet, which is enough for 375 of these books (more if it's a PHB spellbook and not my guesstimated dictionary). The Tome of Books can hold only 250 of them . . . and it can't hold anything else, while the BoH will hold your loot, your fallen allies, and your lunch as well. (A BoH type III can hold 250 of these books exactly, or about 333 PHB spellbooks.) So really, given the constraints on the Tome of Books and the fact that it really is just glorified extradimensional storage, I can't see pricing it much higher than a BoH type III, no? I'd probably make it require Secret Page instead of Secret Chest, but in terms of what the item actually does . . . how does a market price of somewhere in the 6k-8k range sound, probably closer to 6k?