PDA

View Full Version : How to benefit from this weapon

Major
2011-06-09, 03:50 AM
So I'm still playing my factotum I mentioned awhile back. We don't game much so I'm only level 2, close to level 3.

Recently in a game the DM gave me...well, not quite gave me. Everyone was trying and falling to get it due to a trap and I got it due to the use of mage hand...anyways whatever. I got a weapon I'm guessing he created since I don't recognize it from anywhere.

Crystaljolt
The wielder of this hollow +1 Mundane Crystal Quarterstaff may split it in half or re-join its two halves as a free action. Either half may be used as a blow gun requiring Exotic Weapon Proficiency, a successful dart hit dealing 1d4 damage and the effects of a Shocking Grasp spell according to the wielder’s level.

Anyways, I can use the quarterstaff part, but not the blow gun. Considering my other weapons (and my lack of two-weapon fighting) I'm debating using it very much. On one hand I'll keep it because its a magic weapon which has its own upsides and downsides, plus my character thinks its a cool looking weapon and loves rare items, along with a few other uses. However, it seems to pale in comparison. I wouldn't be two-weapon fighting with it and I lack the EWP.

My main point is should I keep this weapon or what? Is there anyway I can use this without totally changing my build around?

Also, I know I'll end with 19 levels of factotum and one prestige. I was thinking mindbender + mindsight at first, but master of masks with gladiator could also be nice. Especially with actual EWP.

TL;DR
Anyways, point was to ask opinions on the weapon and ask Master of Mask 1 or Mindbender 1

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-09, 04:33 AM
Mindbender is probably the stronger choice. You definitely don't want to make the choice of class based on this weapon, which is not terribly useful to you, and will gradually become less useful as you become more powerful.

Major
2011-06-09, 04:37 AM
Agreed, though I'm wondering if DM plans on adding more exotics.

Technically Mindbender gives me telepathy and the ability to detect things with brains within 100 feet in exchange for a feat and a dip. Due to gnomish razorblade going nicely with factotum iaijutsu its two feats (EWP: Gnomish Razorblade and Mindsight) and a dip.

Going Gladiator mask gets me all proficiencies with any weapon ever (someone told me one book lets you make your own weapons? any idea what and where that is?) as well as one random mask to use however. Thus all EWPs. However telepathy and mindsight can have some NICE applications. But being able to say "I'm the factotum. I can do anything. Yes, that means any weapon." Can help (and isn't MoM full BAB? I forget)

TroubleBrewing
2011-06-09, 04:57 AM
MoM is 1/2 BAB.

It's pretty much personal preference. If you think the campaign is headed in a particular direction, the take MoM.

If you'd rather gain the benefits of one of the more front-loaded PrC's in the game, go Mindbender.

Major
2011-06-09, 07:04 AM
My question is more about a one level dip. The reason for mindbender is to get telepathy and mindsight. Merely asking if that's useful.

Popertop
2011-06-09, 08:43 AM
I'd say that's much more useful than this weapon, unless you are banking on another Exotic Weapon showing up later in the game.

Ozymandias
2011-06-09, 10:08 AM
Mindbender is a great dip, sure.

You could also take a level of Warblade for some more melee prowess (d12, some saves, proficiencies), and the ability to shuffle the EWP around. Depending on when you take it, there are some great maneuvers available to you (the Concentration to saves/damage lines, Iron Heart Surge, etc). You could be a ranged supporter for now and shuffle to being a iajutsuka when you get focus online.

1d4+5d6 damage on a ranged attack at level 5 is nothing to sneeze at.

Kalim
2011-06-09, 10:59 AM
I don't imagine the weapon will last you a long time, so perhaps a casting of Master's Touch will at least let you do something with the blowguns one encounter a day.

Major
2011-06-09, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I'll have to ask the DM how often Exotic Weapons like this will pop up.

Thanks for the input. I've never used a quarterstaff or blow gun so I had no idea if there were any cool tricks with them.

I know there are some cool Exotic Weapons (very few, but some) thus why I was curious if a MoM would be better than Mindbender (obviously not just for this weapon)

I was leaning towards Mindbender,but wanted more input. (Given, at level 2 there is still plenty of time)

Plus can't you use weapons you lack proficiency for with a -4?

Also, does anyone know where the rules for making your own weapon are? I'm not sure if my friend was just using a homebrew system or there really is one. (if homebrew are there any reasonable balanced ones?) (I remember he made a 'Changling Battlestaff' as his example on how the system worked)