PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Fun class for a Dvati?

theonesin
2011-06-09, 11:32 AM
In my quest to think of some character concept that would just be fun to play, even if suboptimal, I remembered the Dvati race from Dragon Magazine Compendium. My DM is letting me use the pre-"errata" version of "each twin acts separately, except for spellcasting", so long as I don't go overboard on optimization.

The party is level 6, and we have a Monk/Ur-priest, a Psion, a Knight, a Rogue, and a Kensai(some PrC that focuses on melee with a single powered up weapon, I guess).

Any advice on classes that would be just fun to play(I know "fun" is kind of subjective)? I've already considered Bard and Dragonfire Adept, but at least for DFA, we had a big problem of too much battlefield control in the party before.

Thanks.

Zale
2011-06-09, 11:40 AM
The amazing singing Dvati Duo? :smallbiggrin:

agahii
2011-06-09, 11:41 AM
Id have fun pretending to be one creature and have the two have vastly different abilities. Like one be a monk/psywarrior with tasholatora, and the other be a swift hunter archer.

Use disguise checks to appear human, but exactly the same but different armor. See if your party figures it out.

Ursus the Grim
2011-06-09, 11:43 AM
Rogue? Free sneak attacks from each?

theonesin
2011-06-09, 11:44 AM
Id have fun pretending to be one creature and have the two have vastly different abilities. Like one be a monk/psywarrior with tasholatora, and the other be a swift hunter archer.

Use disguise checks to appear human, but exactly the same but different armor. See if your party figures it out.

While an interesting idea, Dvati don't work that way. The two bodies have the same class.

Also, we already have a Rogue in the party, so I would prefer not to step on his territory.

Morph Bark
2011-06-09, 11:44 AM
Do something psionic as well, as that bypasses the "except for spellcasting" clause. Heck, two-headed creatures have the second head get a standard action useable for purely mental actions, which may be manifesting a power.

Go for Ardent, then multiclass to something else that uses Wis. Or Psychic Warrior, so you can buff up yourself more.

agahii
2011-06-09, 11:54 AM
While an interesting idea, Dvati don't work that way. The two bodies have the same class.

Also, we already have a Rogue in the party, so I would prefer not to step on his territory.

Have the other one pretend to be different classes. Go psy warrior and have one buff and attack melee style and the other blast stuff psion style.

theonesin
2011-06-09, 12:43 PM
Psychic Warrior's not a bad idea, but aside from having another psionic character in the party, I have played a Psion before and didn't really care for it(granted it was on based on summoning, so it may have been the role I didn't like).

Any other suggestions?

Hazzardevil
2011-06-09, 01:15 PM
You could have a pair of Duskblade Chameleons. Chameleon is a prestige class that lets you choose to be a arcane caster, divine caster, skill monkey or melee everyday. I think that means you can channel the spells from chameleon or specilise in combat and maybe do a divine and melee combo. Come to think of it, I should try that.

FMArthur
2011-06-09, 01:33 PM
The spellcasting doesn't quite work though, because they explicitly need to both use the actions to cast each spell (with only one spell occurring). Can they use SLAs? You might be able to get by with just Factotum that way, but I'm AFB so I don't know if either is worded to not work. Warlock/DFA might also be cool and much more powerful than the classes' usual performance if it turns out that they do get to use SLAs.

Swordsage Dvati is probably the best martial adept in the game. Warblade and Crusader would also be powerful, but I think only a Swordsage's larger number of readied maneuvers can actually keep up with doubled usage for more than a round or two in a fight, and aren't hurt so bad by Adaptive Style's full-round-action re-readying. Using Swordsage also lets you 'assign' totally different styles to each twin if you really want to do things that way, whereas Warblade and Crusaders don't really have the variety or maneuvers known to pull that off.

kestrel404
2011-06-09, 01:37 PM
You want interesting ideas, well here's a few:

Totemist or Incarnate. The Incarnum classes are very well suited to the Dvati race for several reasons. Havin Con as a power stat means that the 1/2 HP per body rule is much less of an issue. And having two bodies could mean being able to shape/bind a set of soulmelds per body (check with GM), giving you more versatility. Finally, Incarnum weilders are far less dependent on magic items than most other classes (totemists especially are good at being a melee class without needing to spend loads on gear), which means that splitting one PC's wealth between two bodies is far more manageable.

Artificer. Specifically in the Blastificer build. Most artificer 'spells' are pre-combat or out-of-combat buffs, so you're not going to run into the spellcasting limitation that usually keeps Dvati out of the class. And using a wand is certainly not covered under that limitation. With the Dual-wand-wielder feat, your twins could easily be firing off 4 spells a round! And having two bodies means always being able to aid-another yourself on your craft checks, which is pretty sweet for a Dvati - it's like getting skill focus in everything for free!

Crusader/Bard - A build focused on White Raven maneuvers and bard song is generally considdered to be an awesome thing for Dvati. With one twin singing and the other one using maneuvers (and the two swapping out as needed to keep using all the best maneuvers), this is a potentially very strong buff/melee build.

theonesin
2011-06-09, 02:04 PM
Swordsage actually sounds pretty good. I played a Desert Wind-focused Swordsage several years back and really enjoyed the class.

SleepyShadow
2011-06-09, 03:02 PM
Factotum. They do everything. That way, you aren't stepping on anyone's toes (or you are stepping on everyone's toes :smallbiggrin: ), plus the Dvati can fill different roles simultaneously.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-06-09, 03:07 PM
Anything from Tome of Battle means not having to deal with blowing two actions on using special abilities.

theonesin
2011-06-09, 04:05 PM
If I was going to go with the idea of each twin "specializing" in different maneuvers, do you have any suggestions on which schools? I've been looking at them, and if nothing else, I'd like to avoid Shadow Hand so as not to step on the Rogue's toes.

*.*.*.*
2011-06-09, 05:33 PM
Finding a way to get into Fiend of Possession would be nice. You could possess a player/enemy and have the other body possess the weapon/armor for free bonuses.

Tokuhara
2011-06-09, 05:48 PM
Totemist or Incarnate. The Incarnum classes are very well suited to the Dvati race for several reasons. Havin Con as a power stat means that the 1/2 HP per body rule is much less of an issue. And having two bodies could mean being able to shape/bind a set of soulmelds per body (check with GM), giving you more versatility. Finally, Incarnum weilders are far less dependent on magic items than most other classes (totemists especially are good at being a melee class without needing to spend loads on gear), which means that splitting one PC's wealth between two bodies is far more manageable.

Seconded. Could even be fun with a VoP Totemist

Thurbane
2011-06-09, 07:32 PM
I'd say Binder, Warlock or DFA. Su and Sp abilities do not have the restriction that Dvati has with only 1 spell/round...so both twins could be using Vestige powers, invocations, eldritch blasts or breath weapons in the same round.

theonesin
2011-06-09, 11:26 PM
Actually, there's been a change of plans. The guy who was playing a Rogue wants to play something else(a critfishing Swordsage of some sort, guessing mostly Tiger Claw), so I'm going to go back and play a Rogue instead. I had an idea before about a Rogue dual-wielding kusari-gamas, and I could have a lot of fun with that with Dvati.

Prime32
2011-06-10, 12:19 PM
Swordsage Dvati is probably the best martial adept in the game. Warblade and Crusader would also be powerful, but I think only a Swordsage's larger number of readied maneuvers can actually keep up with doubled usage for more than a round or two in a fightHuh? :smallconfused: Crusader maneuvers recharge on their own, and a warblade could simply have one twin initiate while the other refreshes.

The best class for dvati has to be Fiend of Possession, though becoming an Outsider with the Evil subtype is tricky. Combining with Legacy Champion lets you break the cap on weapon enhancement, along with giving you a good weapon to enhance (have the other twin possess a cohort who wields it).

If you're going for a rogue build, take a look at the teamwork benefits in PHB2 and DMG2. Massed Charge + Pounce + island of blades is interesting.