PDA

View Full Version : Watching Baccano!

Dr.Epic
2011-06-09, 12:36 PM
So I finally started watch this anime. I saw the first episode a year or two ago and haven't been able to get my hands on the entire series. The plots VERY nonlinear, and best I can tell, what's going on is...

So there's this little girl and some old guy talking about stories at the beginning and the old guy is seemingly randomly assigning values of points. Then we get the actual characters (I think) and it all takes place on a train with a funny name because I'm that immature. So there's this couple that robs people that provide a lot of comic relief. Then there's this guy named Ladd who's very similar to Alex from A Clockwork Orange and he has some girl he wants to kill. There's also some wimpy guy with a tattoo on his face and he has some girl that blows stuff up. There are other characters like some immortal guy and his homunculus and he's trying to find the potion of immortality because in the 1700s a bunch of people on a ship got the potion from a demon. And the old guy eats other immortals with his hand and gains their memories. Some monster called the Rail Tracer or something is on the train trying to derail it and a bunch of other stuff is happening on the train and we cut to events not on the train.

So in conclusion, I really liked the novel and after To Kill a Mockingbird and 1984, this is my favorite work my Mark Twain. That concludes my book report.

I'm not done the series yet, I still have three episodes but it seems like the series is over. The character are off the train and we cut to 2001 and see Isaac and Miria robbing people. That seems like the end. The people are off the train. I do wonder what the last three episodes are like.

The series so far is okay. I like some of the characters. Isaac and Miria are fun, but the fact that Miria often repeats things Isaac says is annoying. And while Jacuzzi starts out a wimp, he does get a little more badass so at least there's some development. Ladd's voice never did seem to match his appearance at least in my opinion and he does seem like too much of an expy of Alex from A Clockwork Orange (though I haven't seem that film so I may be wrong). Other than that, I still have little clue what actually happened. There are a ton of characters and the nonlinear plot is confusing so everything I said in spoilers sums up how much I actually comprehended from the show.

Kato
2011-06-09, 12:45 PM
Another person that's too scared to visit the General Discussion thread? :smallamused:

Well, I enjoyed the series quite a bit. The non-linear telling is kind of weird but the characters are mostly really great in their own way and lot's of them are pretty memorable. (Even if I often have a hard time remembering names)
Jacuzzi is totally badass, don't you dare disagreeing on that. Well, not as much as Claire but anyway. Isaac and Miria are really fun, if you don't mind the obnoxious kind of fun (and some times near retarded stupid kind).

If you haven't yet maybe have a look at the follow-up series Durarara as well. It's rather different but still pretty good. And have fun with the last three episodes.

Comet
2011-06-09, 02:46 PM
At first, I wasn't all that into Baccano. Dropped it around episode six for a good six months or so, even. Then I picked it up again and it really took off from that point onward. During the climax of the action, which is incidentally the point at which all the different narratives come together into a collective moment of f*** yeah, I was honestly grinning like a loon. Doesn't happen that often to me, but the audiovisuals and character development really just clashed together in a storm of awesome.

Durarara is ace, too, for sure. There's even a rather natural narrative break at the halfway point of the series, which is incidentally where I'm at right now. Watched it up to that point a few months ago and I fully intend to keep on going through the second half once I'm back at my apartment. Doesn't even take all that long to get up to that halfway cut, so I strongly recommend checking it out and seeing whether you like it or not.

Poison_Fish
2011-06-09, 03:18 PM
I've found Baccano! is one of those series that has grown on me as I watched episodes together. The small little details in the different narratives are quite good, but it is one of those shows that works better in one or two sittings. Incidentally, the opening of each episode does contain call back moments from previous episodes that will be pertinent to the current episode. Durarara does the same thing.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-11, 09:10 PM
Jacuzzi is totally badass, don't you dare disagreeing on that. Well, not as much as Claire but anyway. Isaac and Miria are really fun, if you don't mind the obnoxious kind of fun (and some times near retarded stupid kind).

Pff, he ain't no ultimate shield. Heck, he's not even a secondary buckler, though he is a third rate trashcan lid you pretend is a shield. Where was I going with this? Oh right, Jacuzzi is just too winy at the start to be called a badass. I mean yeah he goes through some character development and gets more awesome and he's even willing to turn himself in if it'll mean setting someone free, but I'm still not convinced he's a badass.

Friv
2011-06-11, 09:53 PM
The last three episodes are basically a different story, which touches on the main one and close off various plot threads. You can just watch the first 13 episodes and be done.

I greatly enjoyed Baccano!, but I had to watch the first episode twice to process it correctly. :)

Kato
2011-06-12, 02:58 AM
Pff, he ain't no ultimate shield. Heck, he's not even a secondary buckler, though he is a third rate trashcan lid you pretend is a shield. Where was I going with this? Oh right, Jacuzzi is just too winy at the start to be called a badass. I mean yeah he goes through some character development and gets more awesome and he's even willing to turn himself in if it'll mean setting someone free, but I'm still not convinced he's a badass.

Okay, humorous exagerration from my side apart, Yacuzzi is a great character, imo. I'm not sure, I think it's Nice (shame, had to look up her name, was thinking Nina for some reason) who said he doesn't want to hurt people which is why he's crying all the time but if he really needs to he can't be stopped (though he usually is still crying) I guess a lot of it is informed ability, I can't really recall him going badass and certainly not on the level of Claire or Graham, nut I believe he's ready to do whatever he needs to for his gang/friends whhich makes him a pretty good character in a series full of jerks :smallwink:
Long story short, badass probably was the wrong word, but I like him a lot nonetheless.

Tengu_temp
2011-06-12, 07:37 AM
Nitpick: Jaccuzi doesn't get any character development in the anime, at least as far as his badassness is concerned. He's not a cowardly kid who turns into a badass overtime. He is both at the same time. His badass qualities just show only when you push his buttons, which isn't easy.

Sholos
2011-06-16, 12:52 PM
Yeah, Jacuzzi's whole thing is that he really, really doesn't want to hurt anyone or see anyone get hurt and he'll do everything he can to avoid it, but God help you if you push him far enough.

On another note, Baccano! is one of the few animes I'd suggest watching the dub version of. The English cast is great.

turkishvan2
2011-06-16, 02:50 PM
I watched the last six episodes on Funimation's YouTube channel, after my sister suggested the series. It was pretty good, I thought. VERY good dub, fun characters, fair animation and good action scenes, plus some really disturbing and tear jerking parts. I may never actually watch the rest of the episodes before those last six, just for fun.