PDA

View Full Version : mixed blood

big teej
2011-06-09, 01:41 PM
so, I have a player that is playing a Tiefling Bard and plans on going into Dragon Disciple

this means he has a fairly.... unique. family tree, with both a Dragon and a Fiend in his ancestry.

and this got me to wondering.

just how borked up can your ancestry be?

the most I could come up with would be something like a Mintoaur bloodline Tiefling going into the disciple

but I know yall can do better
go for it.

gbprime
2011-06-09, 01:43 PM
That's totally up to what your DM will allow. But most folks have 4 grandparents and 8 great-grandparents, and thus a lot of foo could have filtered down through the years... assuming nobody got burned at the stake in the process. :smalleek:

big teej
2011-06-09, 01:49 PM
That's totally up to what your DM will allow. But most folks have 4 grandparents and 8 great-grandparents, and thus a lot of foo could have filtered down through the years... assuming nobody got burned at the stake in the process. :smalleek:

it's a thought excersize.
so assume "anything that isn't expressly prohibted to not worK"
as okay

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-09, 01:56 PM
Has said tiefling player ever said what their infernal ancestor was? Abishai might qualify for both, as they are dragonesque devils. If he follows Tiamat, this makes a lot of sense to me, as the descendent of Tiamat's favored servants wants to become just like them.

Also, which campaign world are you playing? Some have different rules on how a tiefling can be created.

big teej
2011-06-09, 02:03 PM
the tiefling is irrelevant, it was merely an example of a borked up ancestry

I'm looking for the MOST borked up bloodline the playground can come up with.

Ajadea
2011-06-09, 02:06 PM
Doppleganger-Bloodline Feytouched Tiefling with the Trollblooded feat, Celestial Sorcerer feats, and level in Dragon Disciple?

+2 LA, +Celestial, Doppleganger, Dragon, Fiend, Fey, Human, and Troll ancestry.

I can't think of anything else to say to that, honestly.

big teej
2011-06-09, 02:08 PM
Doppleganger-Bloodline Feytouched Tiefling with the Trollblooded feat, Celestial Sorcerer feats, and level in Dragon Disciple?

+2 LA, +Celestial, Doppleganger, Dragon, Fiend, Fey, Human, and Troll ancestry.

I can't think of anything else to say to that, honestly.

well unless somebody can top having 7 different ancestors, I think you win.

you're prize will be a cookie, 8 internets and 400 points.

granted, you can't claim it until we see if anybody can beat it.

Telonius
2011-06-09, 02:18 PM
In a campaign I'm currently running ... well ... here's the story.

A black dragon had a thing for sowing his oats. One of the results of that was a male half-dragon gnome; another was a female half-minotaur, half-dragon Warblade. (Within my setting, Warblades trace their teachings back to the Minotaurs). The gnome grew up to be an inventor and epic Artificer, and (within the homebrew setting) invented the Warforged. He used his half-sister as a template for programming a special-edition Warforged as a Warblade. Since this is for a Shackled City campaign, he got the Wyrm-Blooded trait, marking him as a descendent of a dragon. So what we have is...

A Warforged, who considers his lineage to be half dragon, quarter gnome, and quarter minotaur.

Said Warforged has also acquired an artifact that allows him to change into a "fully functional" fleshly version of himself once a month. I'll tell you, he looks pretty darn weird when it happens. He's been using the opportunity to carouse in the local bars. You can see where this may be leading ...

gbprime
2011-06-09, 02:18 PM
Worst offender I've seen personally was a Half Fey, Fey'ri (half demon elf, Races of Faerun). The LA nearly killed her. :smallamused:

Ajadea
2011-06-09, 02:20 PM
Well, there's also the Mongrelfolk answer, but that's just copping out, imho.

I suppose you could take it a step or so farther by replacing the Tiefling half of the equation with Half-Elf and just taking some Infernal Sorcerer Heritor feats.

Yes, it's perfectly legal to do this.

big teej
2011-06-09, 02:34 PM

I suppose you could take it a step or so farther by replacing the Tiefling half of the equation with Half-Elf and just taking some Infernal Sorcerer Heritor feats.

Yes, it's perfectly legal to do this.

bringing out "beat Ajadea" number to 8 correct?

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 03:05 PM
Lets see...

Lycanthrope Bloodline Unseelie Half-Ogre Half-Minotaur Deepwyrm Half-Drow Duskblade with the Fiendish Heritage, Trollblooded, and Necromantic Bloodline feats.

+2 LA --> Lycanthrope, Fey, Ogre, Giant, Minotaur, Dragon, Drow, Human, Fiend, Troll, and Undead ancestors.

big teej
2011-06-09, 03:11 PM
Lets see...

Lycanthrope Bloodline Unseelie Half-Ogre Half-Minotaur Deepwyrm Half-Drow Duskblade with the Fiendish Heritage, Trollblooded, and Necromantic Bloodline feats.

+2 LA --> Lycanthrope, Fey, Ogre, Giant, Minotaur, Dragon, Drow, Human, Fiend, Troll, and Undead ancestors.

you've got 3 halves in there....

if someone can show me how that's legal, I'd say you're the new man to beat with 11 borkers

Ajadea
2011-06-09, 03:13 PM
Affirmative. Also that whole mess is only +1 LA (and a bloodline level), so it's playable, unlike the Fey'ri or Half-minotaurs or whatever.

Of course, it also requires flaws, at least 4 feats (Toughness, Trollblooded, Celestial Sorceror Heritage, Infernal Sorcerer Heritage), and you have to be at least 6th level to pick up Dragon Disciple.

Hirax
2011-06-09, 03:15 PM
Don't forget all the blooded templates in MM5 (pp 65-67)

Ajadea
2011-06-09, 03:16 PM
Don't have access to that, sadly.

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 03:16 PM

if someone can show me how that's legal, I'd say you're the new man to beat with 11 borkers

Half-X templates don't always represent exactly halvsies. There is nothing illegal about the template stacking.

Edit: Where is Feytouched? If it keeps your type the same, I can fit in one more.

Hirax
2011-06-09, 03:23 PM
Don't have access to that, sadly.

Well, Vecna blooded is +1. It's coolest feature is

A Vecna-blooded creature gains immunity to all divination
spells cast against it or cast to learn information about it.
Such divination fails to reveal any information. The Vecnablooded
creature immediately learns the name, appearance,
and location of the caster who attempted the divination.
Unlike other god-blooded abilities, the Vecna-blooded
creature retains this special quality after it loses other abilities
from this template.

Take that true seeing and scrying! Without divination nobody will know your heritage unless you tell them.

Malimar
2011-06-09, 03:28 PM

In my setting, I allow mongrelfolk to take any heritage feats (even the Sorcerer-only ones, with a little tweaking), and they can use any creature from which they're descended for their racial abilities. And I added a bunch of new heritage feats to allow mongrelfolk to be descended from as many different things as they want, so they could be descended from the core races plus as many races as they have feats, if they really wanted.

But even in non-homebrewed D&D, you can do that. Scour the books for all the different Heritage feats, and take one of each. I don't think there's a limit on how many different heritage feats you could take. Definitely wouldn't be particularly optimized.

By RAW, is there a limit to the number of bloodlines (Unearthed Arcana) you can take? There's definitely a limit to the number of bloodlines you can actually benefit from (past a certain point, you'd have to take more bloodline levels than you have levels), but can you just declare as many bloodlines as you want if you're okay with drastically gimping yourself?

EDIT: heritage feats I found with a cursory inspection:
-Draconic Heritage
-Illithid Heritage
-Fey Heritage
-Fiendish heritage or Infernal Sorcerer Heritage
-Air Heritage
-Anarchic Heritage
-Axiomatic Heritage
-Celestial Heritage or Celestial Sorcerer Heritage
-Earth Heritage
-Fire Heritage
-Shadow Heritage
-Water Heritage
You need to be true neutral; some of those require nonlawful, nonchaotic, nonevil, or nongood. A character with two flaws has 9 feats at level 20, so take 9 of the above feats, throw all of them and a bloodline on a mongrelfolk (explictly human, halfling, dwarf, elf, gnome, goblin, and orc), and that's 18 different ancestor races for +0LA; more if you go into epic levels. And that's not even with the various class features that give you fancy ancestors.

Heatwizard
2011-06-09, 03:53 PM
Lets see...

The upper planes are sorely under-represented. There must be a way to fit Aasimar in there.

Luckmann
2011-06-09, 04:08 PM
Half-Celestial Half-Fiend Half-Golem Doppleganger-Bloodlined Half-Illithid Feytouched Genasi Lycanthrope with Trollblooded, Necromantic Bloodline and a distant draconic ancestry (Dragon Disciple)?

You should be able to squeeze half-giant into that, too.

Edit:

if someone can show me how that's legal, I'd say you're the new man to beat with 11 borkers"Half" doesn't always refer to an actual half in the rules. I don't think it's explicitly stated anywhere, but nor is it explicitly prohibited. For example, a Half-Illithid isn't actually half Illithid.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-09, 04:19 PM
Half Golems are also not half golem, as golems cannot...Yeah. Would not work.

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 04:20 PM
The upper planes are sorely under-represented. There must be a way to fit Aasimar in there.

That's true... Half Drow is not explicitly also half human, so if the other half is (mostly Lesser Aasimar) that would get Celestial and Human instead of just Human. It has no mechanical change.

Luckmann
2011-06-09, 04:21 PM
Half Golems are also not half golem, as golems cannot...Yeah. Would not work.

There's a Half-Golem template? I'm totally slapping that on, too.

Scribble
2011-06-09, 04:22 PM
One of the oddest/most awesome things I found about the Half templates is that you can stack different colors of half-dragon together onto the same critter.

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 04:27 PM
You start to run afoul of LA really quickly that way. I'm squeemish about the +2 that my monstrocity already has.

Scribble
2011-06-09, 04:31 PM
You start to run afoul of LA really quickly that way. I'm squeemish about the +2 that my monstrocity already has.

Oh I won't deny that part of it. I just find it hilarious you could stack all the half dragon template colors onto one critter. Or heck, just stack the chromatic colors and call them Offspring of Tiamat.

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-09, 04:32 PM
I might have made a mistake and it might not be a template. But it does exist, really. Monster Manual II.

There is always this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=template)...

Heatwizard
2011-06-09, 04:37 PM
I might have made a mistake and it might not be a template. But it does exist, really. Monster Manual II.

There is always this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=template)...

I wonder what the LA on that is if you stack all of them onto a single entity. A kobold or something.

Luckmann
2011-06-09, 04:38 PM
You start to run afoul of LA really quickly that way. I'm squeemish about the +2 that my monstrocity already has.I don't think anyone even considered any of this being playable. Half-Fiend/Half-Celestial/Half-Illithid alone would add +10 ECL. :smallbiggrin:

I wonder what the LA on that is if you stack all of them onto a single entity. A kobold or something.By level 1 he would be well into divine levels. :smalltongue:

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 04:45 PM
I don't think anyone even considered any of this being playable. Half-Fiend/Half-Celestial/Half-Illithid alone would add +10 ECL. :smallbiggrin:

By level 1 he would be well into divine levels. :smalltongue:

My build is perfectly playable... He gets full BAB, and + bajillion to Strength, flight, and some SLA's. +2 LA isn't too much to buy off.

Luckmann
2011-06-09, 05:01 PM
My build is perfectly playable... He gets full BAB, and + bajillion to Strength, flight, and some SLA's. +2 LA isn't too much to buy off.Ah, yes, I didn't mean any build specifically, but just the topic in general.

If something is playable, all the better, but I don't think anyone went into the thread thinking that something playable would come out of it. :smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2011-06-09, 05:05 PM
.... spells, regeneration, reach....