PDA

View Full Version : Looking for interesting gun concepts.

AustontheGreat1
2011-06-09, 05:38 PM
Currently playtesting a gunslinger in my first pathfinder game and the character has started designing weapons for the kingdom's military. The character has already developed a steampunk version of the cross punisher from the Trigun anime and he is currently working on a hydrolic sniper rifle.

What I'm asking for are suggestions for unique firearms or even unique ammunition. The weapons should be as mundane as possible because I would like to stick to the character's "as little magic as possible" theme. The suggestions don't have to be original; I am not above recreating a weapon from a movie, television show, or movie. However, I'm not really interested in creating weapons weapons that already exist. I understand they are efficient, they just aren't as interesting. I'd like them to be impossible and original. Something portable if it can be managed.

Lastly, it should fire some sort of physical projectile. Energy weapons don't really fit. However unconventional propulsion mechanisms (such as magnetism or whatever) are a possibility.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

BluesEclipse
2011-06-09, 07:38 PM
Replicate as many weapons from the Megaman games as possible. Craft(Alchemy) should help with many of them.

If you do this, post them here... :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-06-10, 12:56 AM
Isn't "hydraulic firearm" an oxymoron?

BillyBobJoe
2011-06-10, 01:06 AM
Rifles that shoot pistols.

On a more serious note, you could make a "shrapnel gun" that shreds ammunition to create a cone of deadly needles.

Greenish
2011-06-10, 01:17 AM
If you had a material that can really stand the stress (adamantium) and a method of generating enough energy fast enough (magic/magitech/steampunk handwave), railguns would be an option.

Cespenar
2011-06-10, 01:29 AM
The anime Last Exile IIRC had steam powered rifles that worked by a hose tying the weapon to a nearby furnace kinda thingy that supplied it with constant steam.

Big Fau
2011-06-10, 02:32 AM
Rifles that shoot pistols.

Why stop there?

@OP: Build the Spirit of Motherwill. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19rzJ29LyJM)

AustontheGreat1
2011-06-10, 03:28 AM
Great suggestions, please keep them coming.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-06-10, 03:50 AM
How about a gun that fires a multitude of retractable cords with tasers that spread out in a 15ft cone.

Alleine
2011-06-10, 03:58 AM
Build a harpoon gun. A harpoon gun with a crude rocket built into the back of the harpoon that triggers on impact, sending the enemy flying backwards! Bonus points if it also explodes.

Cespenar
2011-06-10, 04:08 AM
A hand cannon shooting these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_shot) would be nice too.

Greenish
2011-06-10, 04:51 AM
A hand cannon shooting these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_shot) would be nice too.Bola gun for ranged trips. Not a bad idea.

Bhaakon
2011-06-10, 05:08 AM
Bola gun for ranged trips. Not a bad idea.

Are there trip rules for ripping off a leg?

edit: Which give me an idea: a trap that lasso's a person's leg to a heavy iron ball which is then launched from a cannon.

which give me another idea: Tether ball gun. A cannon launches an iron ball tethered to a stake in the ground by a 50' spiked chain. Once fired, the ball whips around the stake and winds in, chain-sawing everyone in range in half.

Halae
2011-06-10, 05:10 AM
Are there trip rules for ripping off a leg?

I think someone who can't stand can crawl at a rate of 5 feet per round :smalltongue: