PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Kingmaker IC

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-09, 05:49 PM
THE IMPERIAL CHARTER FOR EXPLORATION OF THE GREENBELT, BY ORDER OF THE DRAGONSCALE THRONE.
BE IT SO KNOWN THAT THE BEARER OF THIS CHARTER HAS BEEN CHARGED BY THE SWORDLORDS OF RESTOV, ACTING UPON THE GREATER GOOD AND AUTHORITY VESTED WITHIN THEM BY THE OFFICE OF THE REGENT OF THE DRAGONSCALE THRONE, HAS GRANTED THE RIGHT OF EXPLORATION AND TRAVEL WITHIN THE WILDERNESS REGION KNOWN AS THE GREENBELT. EXPLORATION SHOULD BE LIMITED TO AN AREA NO FURTHER THAN THIRTY-SIX MILES EAST AND WEST AND SIXTY MILES SOUTH OF OLEG'S TRADING POST. THE CARRIER OF THIS CHARTER SHOULD ALSO STRIVE AGAINST BANDITRY AND OTHER UNLAWFUL BEHAVIOR TO BE ENCOUNTERED. THE PUNISHMENT FOR UNREPENTANT BANDITRY REMAINS, AS ALWAYS, EXECUTION BY SWORD OR ROPE. SO WITNESSED ON THIS 24TH DAY OF CALISTRIL, UNDER WATCHFUL EYE OF THE LORDSHIP OF RESTOV AND AUTHORITY GRANTED BY LORD NOLESKI SURTOVA, CURRENT REGENT OF THE DRAGONSCALE THRONE.

The mid-afternoon sun beats down on you as you spot your destination in the distance. Three days have passed since you first set out on the expedition for your own various reasons. Oleg's is an abandoned fort, re-purposed into a small trading post. Upon closer inspection, the palisade appears to have been recently painted. The gate is open fairly wide, and you can hear a tap-tap-tapping coming from the inside. You enter one by one into the market courtyard, where others, presumably your companions for the expedition, await.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-09, 06:19 PM
The sound fast gallop of a horse making full bolt to the trading post echoes around its walls like a marching drum. Soon enough the culprit sweeps in through the front gate. Wheeling the white and brown patched bay the rider smiles beneath his half-helm.

Sitting in the saddle is a man who appears to be of average height. He wears simple travellers garb and the glint of chainmail can be seen under his tunic. A crossbow dangles from his belt as does a longsword. He is a man who knows his combat.The saddle is littered with tools and supplies.

But for now he seems extremely happy as he trots his horse around the market area. HELLO!?

Othniel Edden
2011-06-10, 03:31 AM
The stranger is approached by a small man with blond hair and pointed ears. Vestments of Abadar drape his slight figure, telling you instantly that he is a priest of the god of civilization and wealth. A small nick appears on his face, from earlier in the day when he had shaved. "Gods be praised, another allied in the camp. If your journey was arduous, as mine you may want something to eat, or maybe drink? I afraid I have not much in terms of delicacies, but at least it satisfies."

Qualia
2011-06-10, 04:01 AM
As he wiped the sweat from his bald brow, Marandici blinked as the Palisade broke into view. It had been 3 hard days on the road, his feet were sore, his cloak heavy, and he smelled of smoke and sweat. He pulled out his waterbottle, and took a long swig, before pouring a little over his head.

As a mouthed ancient arcane syllables, his clothes slowly expelled the accumulated dust and dirt, and restored life and colour to his robes. Always important to look the part, he thought, and first impressions are important. He wrapped his kapenia scarf around his shoulders and pulled up his gloves before completing the 100 yards to the fortification.

A snakes head popped out of the collar of his robe, its forked tongue tasting the air. Marandici stroked its head, "What do you think Xin?"

The snake disappeared back into his robes as he strolled through the gate and came into view of his new companions. His Vangloris tattoo immediately attracted the eye, as it covered half his bald face. He wore a bright orange robe over pale blue trousers and kneww high boots, a red sash tied around his waist from which dangled several pouches and charms. A violet scarf was tied around his neck, covered in intricate embroidery, and over all this colour he wore a heavy, grey cloak.

He addressed his new companions with a deep and flourished bow, "Marandici Surtova, at your service."

TrappedDoor
2011-06-10, 04:02 AM
Tarrick dismounts and slides his helm off. His face bears a small amount of stubble, enough to look slightly messy. His hair is blonde hair is shaved down and a big smile twinkles with his blue eyes.

No bother friend. Tarrick says with a smile as he claps the half-elf on the shoulder. I would have ridden to the ends of the world for that reward.
He drops his hand from the man's shoulder. He opens it up for a handshake.

Tarrick Silvers, formerly of Silverhall, here for the charter.

Turning to the newcomer with a crooked head. He nodded a greeting as he turned to his horse, placing his helm on the saddle horn.

Hail friend. You here for the charter?

EDIT: NINJA'D already! There you go.

Sycor
2011-06-10, 07:29 AM
Delorian brings in the rear of the party, fidgeting nervously around so many as he rides through the gate. His eyes scan the walls of the fort, tops of the buildings and just about every other place someone could be waiting to ambush him. Paranoid doesn't begin to cover it.

Greetings in the Trading Post. I am Delorian to those I haven't spoken with yet.

It is painfully obvious he wants to say more but is holding back. You notice a hand playing with the fletching of an arrow unconsciously.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-10, 01:33 PM
"Surtova?" Cano turns towards the man with a slight look of bemusement and says, "I am Canocario of House of Orlovsky. Please call me Cano though. I didn't think there would be another of noble blood amongst us, though I suppose the urge to rule is a consistency among our types. I have a bottle of my father's finest vintage, come and drink with Mr. Silvers and myself."

Good Steve
2011-06-10, 03:12 PM
The sounds of the heavy hooves of a large horse can be heard in the distance well before the armored rider astride a massive ivory horse comes into view. Noticing the others amassed just inside the gate of the palisade wall, Bron brings his mount to a slow gallop as he approaches, keeping an eye out for any familiar faces.

Riding to a spot about 10 paces away from the group he quickly dismounts letting out a long sigh as he stretches weary and tight muscles. He pulls a full waterskin from his saddle bags, taking a long deep drink before pouring some of the warm water onto his scorching hot splint mail with a quiet sizzle. He fills his cupped hand with a small amount of water and lets the white mare quickly lap it up before running his wet hands through the horses mane.

He is a tall dark haired man, clearly well muscled under his heavy armor. His hair hangs long and curly to his shoulders and by the stubble adorning his face it is clear he has been on the road for some time. A sword with a strangely unique pommel stone hangs from his hip as does a small bolt quiver and crossbow and one would easily spot the large lance strapped to his mount. He was clearly not lacking for weaponry. He walks over to the amassed group, still working knots out of his legs, and speaks, "Well met, I am Bron Tyvarius..." he stops for a beat after speaking his name, "I am here on behalf of the Dragonscale Throne to explore the Greenbelt and assess the banditry situation. Would it be safe to assume that my goals mirror those of your own, or do you run this trading post?"

TinyDancer
2011-06-10, 04:20 PM
Standing at the gate, Sephiah takes a deep sigh and raises a perturbed eyebrow now having seen all those that passed her on horseback along the road standing before her. Without a word she slides the large-brimmed hat from her head and shakes her red curls from her face. A lithe woman in stature and carrying pack and two curved swords in a near reverent manner, her eyes take in the entirety of the scene before her.

Perception:[roll0] (to determine where the tapping is originating from)

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-10, 05:27 PM
Soon after you arrive, a woman, probably in her late thirties, appears from one of the outbuildings in the yard. Upon spotting you, she walks over.

"Oh, you've finally arrived! My name's Svetlana. Oleg's my husband." She turns to another one of the buildings and shouts, "Oleg! The guards are here!"

The tapping, which had been coming from that building, immediately ceases. A few seconds later, a man about the same age as Svetlana comes out, sweat visible on his brow from a fair distance away. "Hey. I'm Oleg Leveton. I run the trading post."

TrappedDoor
2011-06-10, 08:49 PM
Wine would be brilliant actually. Tarrick continued with a smile as he glanced at Cano and Marandici. Good gods, I'm surrounded by nobles.

As Oleg and Svetlana introduce themselves Tarrcik turned his head slightly.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you m'lady but we are not guards.

Turning back to this companions Tarrick pulls the charter out from his saddlebag. Unrolling it he reads over its contents.

...strive against unrepentant banditry. Dammit...Guess we're going to help these folk?

Good Steve
2011-06-10, 09:14 PM
"Pleasure to meet you both. As my apparent companion has surmised we are not guards but perhaps you should tell us what is is you need to be protected from..."

TinyDancer
2011-06-10, 09:14 PM
Sephiah smiles to Svetlana, offering her hand in greeting. She scrunches her nose as she's about to introduce herself, contemplating Svetlana's words.

"I'm Sephiah Ashlatin." She hesitates in continuing before deciding a different course of action. "Not a guard, no. Who have you been expecting, dear woman?" she speaks for the first time in a calm, collected voice.

Sycor
2011-06-10, 11:06 PM
Guards, hmmp as a small lopsided grin appears on his face. I believe my companions have it right then, that this would imply someone or something to guard you from.

Delorian begins to look in earnest at the once fort turned trading post. He wonders what the lay of the land looks like, how far away the tree line is and what points an ambush coud be sprung from. He seems almost happy in such thoughts.

Delorian repeats his fellow companion Tarrick for a line or two...strive against unrepentant banditry. Yes we're going to help these folk and let us not forget the charter also says "The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope." That is why I am here, to see these bandits hang from the gallows.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-11, 01:05 AM
"Many blessings of Abadar on your holy profession Mister and Mistress Leveton. How many we help in bringing order to this house?"

Qualia
2011-06-11, 11:42 AM
Marandici looks around at his fellow companions before turning back to Oleg. "Alas, I am afraid that I too fail to match your guard, for I am here to help explore and settle the Stolen Lands. However, my friend Cano has a bottle of Orlovsky's finest, and that is a very fine vintage indeed, so perhaps we can discuss your problems over a glass and see if we can combine your needs with our mission." He smiles and gestures for Oleg to lead the way.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-11, 06:50 PM
At the rather clear indication that you are not, in fact, guards, Oleg throws up his hands. "Oh for the gods' sake! Blasted Restov finally blasted sends someone here and it turns out they're not blasted guards!"

"Oleg, these people just offered to help us." Turning to you, Svetlana says, "I'm sorry. You'd better come in."

She leads you into the building where she came from earlier, and into a dining room. There's a stew, delicious by the smell of it, on a fireplace and a large loaf of bread on the table. She seats you all at the table, then brings the stew over. Once dinner--which is actually delicious, if somewhat simple--has commenced, Svetlana says, "You see, we've recently been having trouble with bandits. We've sent requests for guards to Restov--"

"Seventeen times so far."

"And they just recently wrote back saying they were sending people who could help. We just assumed that you'd be guards."

Othniel Edden
2011-06-11, 08:09 PM
"An exchange of services Mr. Leveton is what I purpose. We take care of your problem, you ensure we are feed, and have a place to stay why we are down here? Does that sound fair to you Mister Leveton? Anyone have any problems with this plan? " Cano says as he looks for a quill and a piece of parchment to make an official document stating the terms of an agreement.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-11, 08:55 PM
Tarrick leans in on his elbows and nods as Svetlana details the situation.

Bastards are probably lurking all over these parts. Don't envy them bivouac-ing.

Looking up as the cleric states his terms, Tarrick nods in agreement.

I'll help if theres a bed in it for me, and maybe a few coin.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-11, 11:15 PM
"...Fair enough. If you drive out the bandits we'll give you the three potions we've got in our stockroom, fifty gold pieces, and free room and board for as long as you need it. How's that sound? If you want a document I'll write one up in my office."

"We won't have time to waste. The bandits have been arriving about an hour after sunrise on the first day of each month to collect our furs and trade goods, which means they'll be here tomorrow. They seem to think we've been pretty much cowed, since three months ago when they first showed up there were eighteen of them but last month there were only seven. It looked like their leader was this woman with two hatchets, but she was there only for the first visit."

Good Steve
2011-06-12, 01:48 AM
Bron happily eats the stew, a welcome change from trail rations, while he listens to the Leveton's relate their story. "Seventeen at first, you say? I guess the banditry problem here is worse than I had thought. Your offer seems like a fair one indeed and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say it would be our pleasure to help you fine folk." Bron gazes around the table at his fellow companions before continuing. "What can you tell us of these bandits? How well armed were they? Did they arrive on horseback or did the travel on foot? If they arrived on foot it is likely they have a hideout somewhere nearby."

Qualia
2011-06-12, 01:50 AM
"Mmm, this stew is delicious Svetlana, my thanks." He wipes his mouth and lets out a contented sigh. "I would be happy to help you in this matter, especially if there is more of that stew in the offing." His manner turns serious as he addresses the bandit situation. "What do you have in the way of trapping materials? We may need to make some preparations before these bandits arrive."

Sycor
2011-06-12, 07:23 AM
Delorian slowly eats his stew and listens to the conversation at hand. A plan to trap these bandits is needed so that none escape to tell others of what will transpire when we ambush them. I agree with Marandici, also I forgot to get a good look but how far back would you say Oleg is the tree line from the front of the trading post gate?

TinyDancer
2011-06-12, 11:21 AM
Sephiah does not eat until everyone is served and even then is slow in eating as the conversation continues. Before long, she asks "If this woman has not come since the first encounter, who leads these bandits?"

She turns to Delorian, biting her lip. "Either they die for their banditry, as has been directed, or they do not commit the act any longer. Keeping a 'prisoner' as it were is not within our right to decide." She looks around the table, looking back to Svetlana and Oleg. "Did they take anything aside of your merchandise? Did they cause any harm the last time they came and demanded 'tribute'?"

Othniel Edden
2011-06-12, 11:42 AM
" Legally, we have jurisdiction here Lady Ashlatin. The charter tells us to strive against banditry, and keeping a prisoner would allow us to do just that. Further more our charter stipulates that it is unrepentant banditry that warrant's execution, and how can they repent if not given the chance? I believe it to be right that whomever does not fall by our hand in battle that we give them a chance to repent. Those that are repentant we allow a chance to aid our exploration, and our cause with information. In doing so we may prevent future catastrophe."

TrappedDoor
2011-06-12, 01:48 PM
Tarrick nods solemly as his companions discuss the situation. As Cano launches off about imprisonment he advises with

Many outlaws will fight like cornered dogs when their hides are threatened and some can turn around and bite you years later after their supposed redemption. Be careful with you imprisonment Cano. Don't be a afraid to do as the charter says.

Looking up he realizes their context and smiles apologetically at Svetlana.

So M'lady, doesn't do all well for you to be hearing grim talk such as this.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-12, 02:30 PM
Tarrick nods solemly as his companions discuss the situation. As Cano launches off about imprisonment he advises with

Many outlaws will fight like cornered dogs when their hides are threatened and some can turn around and bite you years later after their supposed redemption. Be careful with you imprisonment Cano. Don't be a afraid to do as the charter says.

Looking up he realizes their context and smiles apologetically at Svetlana.

"You misunderstand me. We don't have enough resources to keep people here, so imprisonment is impractical. The Charter says that execution is the penalty for unrepentant banditry, so I am doing what it says by giving them a chance to be something other than bandits. "

Besides retaliation will come whether we kill them all or not. We need to be as proactive and informed as possible in dealing with these bandits. Offering them pardon for their crimes might allow us to do just that."

TrappedDoor
2011-06-12, 02:39 PM
Tarrick nods in agreeement with the priest as he finishes what was left of the dinner prepared by Svetlana. He smiles as the savoury food warms his belly.
Fair enough. I guess the decision remains with the bandits then. He replies to Cano.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-12, 08:53 PM
"What can you tell us of these bandits? How well armed were they? Did they arrive on horseback or did the travel on foot? If they arrived on foot it is likely they have a hideout somewhere nearby."
"They were on horseback. They have always looked like they were eager to return to their camp somewhere in the forest though, so I imagine it's not too far away. Probably within a day's ride?"

I agree with Marandici, also I forgot to get a good look but how far back would you say Oleg is the tree line from the front of the trading post gate?
Approximately eleven miles. I'll go ahead and assume your character didn't ask this, unless you tell me otherwise. The palisade is basically a solid wooden fence, if that helps at all. It's hard to see what's going on inside the trading post from the outside.

"If this woman has not come since the first encounter, who leads these bandits?"
"There's also been a crude hooded man with a bow among them. He seems to be their deputy."

"Did they take anything aside of your merchandise? Did they cause any harm the last time they came and demanded 'tribute'?"
"Not the past two times, not really, but--"
"The first time they showed up that woman nearly cut my hand off and took Svetlana's wedding ring right off her hand for "not shortening my reach".

"It's alright. I imagine it's necessary for you to plan things well."

It becomes apparent during the discussion that the Levetons really hate the bandits. As if to emphasize this, Oleg says: The bandits that you do end up killing, d'you think we could hang their bodies on the southern wall as an example to their chums?"
Svetlana opens her mouth, then shuts it.

Sense Motive DC 10
Svetlana thinks the idea is a bit gruesome, but otherwise is quite supportive of it.

Sycor
2011-06-12, 11:11 PM
Taking prisoners is a slippery slope, one that can lead to our ruin. While I am not for taking of prisoners, I will not stand in the way if others choose to do so. I am not as merciful as others I think. And posting their heads or hanging their bodies is a most excellent idea once we get a handle on the bandits. Until such a time as we obtian sufficient information about their base of operations, numbers and disposition, perhaps laying low and misdirection may be better suited to our survival.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-13, 02:18 AM
Tarrick nods in agreement to Delorian's comments.
I'm with Delorian on this. I'll not stop anyone else from taking prisoners, but I won't pull my punches.

Tarrick smiles knowingly at Oleg's plan to hang the bodies up upon the wall.
I'll give you a hand with that Oleg, I've done that sort of thing before. Make sure you use the commonly upwind side of the fort, lest you loose some squeamish customers.

Qualia
2011-06-13, 02:40 AM
Marandici nodded his head. "We don't really have a jail here, but we can cross that bridge should any of them surrender." He stroked the head of Xin as the snake slowly emerged from out of his robe. "As far as a plan goes, I think it might be best if we make things look as normal as possible. Let the bandits ride in and see the goods piled up. Then, when they go to grab them, we strike. I can use my sorceries to make things look good, and hopefully we can catch them by surprise. Oleg, if you have a net of some kind, we could drop that from the gateway to stop them escaping, otherwise, pour some oil across the threshold, then cover it with leaves. Once we strike, we can light it. If you have any beartraps or caltrops, we might be able to set a couple of simple traps. You and Svetlana should find somewhere safe, a room you can bar yourself into until this unpleasantness is over." Once he'd finished, he poured himself another glass of wine, then leaned back on his chair and looked to his allies for their input.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-13, 02:47 AM
Sounds good. The second things go badly, Bandits run like hares. Tarrick announces as he leans forwards.

I'll sit just to the side of the gate up on the wall. I'll throw the net if it's need but aside from that I'll just send enough quarrels there way to make sure they don't get a chance to think twice

Tarrick ran the plan over in his head. A fight like this wouldn't last long. The surprise and the confined quarters would cut either force down quickly. If the bandits managed to make a break for it they'd be damned near impossible to chase down, thanks to their knowledge of the terrain. Tarrick resolved to be sure that none got away with a heartbeat. His mouth formed a grim line. Tomorrow there will be killing to be done, and his was damned well sure he knew which end him and his crossbow would be on.

TinyDancer
2011-06-13, 01:00 PM
Sephiah gasps as Oleg relays his tale of nearly losing his hand before her green eyes turn to Svetlana. "I will find your ring, I promise," she whispers, giving the woman a sympathetic look.

Sephiah looks around the table at the others, listening to the plan. "I would prefer to wait outside, perhaps follow them in. An appearance of no way out might be persuasive."

Qualia
2011-06-13, 03:31 PM
Marandici smiled at Sephiah's suggestion "Well if you can find somewhere to hide when they ride up, I'm sure that could work. Make sure you're not too far away though, or you'll miss all the fun." He seemed to be working some things out in his head. "So we'll have Tarrick on the wall with a bow, Sephiah in the gateway, I'll be working illusions, what about the rest of you?"

Sycor
2011-06-13, 08:22 PM
I'll take a hiding spot on the wall, opposite side of the gate Tarrick is at, this will allow us to cover the gateway both inside and outside the trading post. I am more suited to ranged combat than engaging them with my axe.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-13, 09:41 PM
Oleg stands up at this point.
"It doesn't look like I'll be able to contribute any meaningful tactical discussion here. There's rain coming in and I wasn't done fixing a leak in the storage shed when you guys came." Heading toward the door, he adds, "Feel free to use anything in the trading post, including the potions in the shed if you want them early. The blue ones fix wounds and the green one helps protect you from blows, or at least that's what the guy I bought them from told me. The catapaults on the watchtowers are probably going to be useless, but maybe you could rig them to fire one shot or something before they break down completely. I'll see you in an hour or so." The door closes behind him, and after a few minutes you once again hear the tap-tap-tapping that was happening when you first arrived.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-13, 10:02 PM
Tightening his belt Tarrick stands. The food was settling well with him and he felt the long hours of the trip from Restov and a proper bed was luring.

The travelling has got me beat. I think the plan is good, the bandits won't know what hit 'em. But I guess we shall see tomorrow.

Cracking his shoulders, Tarrick sighed and gave the party a wave as he left the room. He sighed as he closed the door. Spotting Oleg leaving he chased down the big man, he tapped the man on the shoulder.

You want a hand with the roof? He asked. He respected the man, cutting out a respectable living amisdt the chaos of the wilds. He also missed a feeling of fullfillment gained after a solid days labouring.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-14, 12:20 AM
"I'll go where I'm asked to go, if you gentlemen foresee a role for me in this combat." Cano listens intently as they let him know his part of the plan, and then heads to prepare spells for the following day.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-14, 08:01 PM
You want a hand with the roof?

"Oh, uh, yeah, sure. This way." Oleg leads Tarrick into the storage shed, where a number of furs and pelts can be seen in a box and three potions, two blue and one green, are on a small folding table. Oleg grabs a ten-foot-tall ladder from beside the wall and leads Tarrick back outside. He climbs onto the roof and motions for Tarrick to follow. "You got any experience fixing leaks? Here, hold on to this."

TrappedDoor
2011-06-14, 09:26 PM
Tarrick assists in carrying anything that needs it. He follows Oleg and continues the conversation.

Not much I have to say. Some wilderness camps here and there but nothing really permanent. With a smile he shrugs.

Always time to learn though.

Once he and Oleg are at work, Tarrick looks over at him and asks
So why are you out here then Oleg? surely there's better places to set up shop?

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-14, 10:09 PM
Back in the dining room, Svetlana says, "It seems like you have a good plan here, so far. If I understand correctly, Tarrick and Delorian will be on the walls on opposite sides of the gate, Sephiah will be in the gateway, and Marandici will be somewhere with his illusions. What about Cano and Bron? Also, about prisoners, we'll keep any that you need kept, provided you make sure it's safe. I'm afraid we don't have anything that'll help in that regard."

Assuming that names are known by now.

With a crowbar and some effort, Oleg pries a wooden shingle off the roof, discarding it over the side. "Wilderness camps? Here, pass me that. Thanks." Oleg takes a bag, reaches in and grabs a new shingle. "Of what sort?" He takes out a hammer and a couple of nails and begins to pound the new shingle into the roof.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-14, 10:24 PM
Tarrick rolled his shoulders and stood up slightly. He thought for a moment and he shrugged. No reason to lie to the good man is there? he thought silently to himself.

Steeling himself Tarrick drew in breath and began.

Bandit camps actually. Where I'm from times were hard, family was persecuted for my fathers beliefs. And his tongue. Guards were cruel so you had to learn to be one step ahead of them. When you family looses it's home and the guards would beat you for a copper piece you get busy running or get busy dying.

He slots a shingle into place. He twists his head as he stares at the placing. It was good, judging by the pattern atleast. Smacking it into place he nodds happily.

"Long story short, my older brother gets out, finds some legitimate buisness. Me and my younger brother weren't so lucky. I go ratted out and I end up here with a gallows waiting for me if I go so far as Restov. So figure I might try to get out too, sure the works the same sort of deal but atleast it's legitimate. So here I am, on the edge of nowhere, sorting meself out, one shingle at a time. At this last remark he waves a shingle with a smile and slots it down.

Ok, I'm fairly sure I can jump of this roof and get running. The gates not to far off and I'm probably quicker on my feet. Might have to ditch the sword though. Tarrick planned to himself as he waited for the result of his speech.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-15, 04:29 AM
"I can provide cover fire from ground level," he says, pointing to his crossbow, "Additionally I have faith that Abadar will bless our expedition with good favour tomorrow. I can also provide some defense for you and your husband, Mistress Leveton, if our counter offensive goes poorly."

Sycor
2011-06-15, 05:27 AM
Perhaps Cano and Bron would like to place themselves in nearby buildings? At any rate, I am going to take a look at my vantage point and then grab a few hours sleep. Delorian gets up from the table, brings his bowl to the sink and washes it out, heads outside to the Gate area.

Once at the Gate I look at both sides on top of the walls and count the paces away that I could cover quickly to bring my bow to bare for both inside the trading post and outside. Afterwards, I will biovac in the outside, perhaps in my spot I have chosen to for tomorrows work.

Qualia
2011-06-15, 07:45 AM
"Best I get some sleep, it could be a long day tomorrow." Marandici nodded goodnight to his colleagues, then headed out to find a place to sling his hammock. His many years of travelling had left him uncomfortable sleeping in any other manner. He drew his blanket over him as he tried to unwind, but anxiety gnawed at him. Tomorrow would be dangerous, and he did not know whether he could trust his newfound allies. Despite that, he would be placing his life in their hands. It was a thought that troubled him.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-15, 06:42 PM
Oleg doesn't speak for quite a while, pounding the last of the nails in. "All right, that's good enough. We're fixing a leak, not replacing the whole roof. C'mon." Oleg gets down the ladder, bringing it in once Tarrick is down as well.

--

"Alright then. Feel free to use the guesthouse." Svetlana gets up and begins to put away dishes.

--THE NEXT MORNING--

TrappedDoor
2011-06-15, 07:01 PM
Tarrick breathes out in the chilled morning air, his breath appearing as a puff of fog. As the rest of the party gets into position he climbs up a ladder onto the wall. Looking out over the northern Greenbelt he shuffled in his chain shirt. Placing his hand on his hip quiver and pulled out a quarrel. Running his thumb over the tip he was pleased to find it sufficently sharp.

Drawing his crossbow he pulled the winch and loaded the weapon. Sitting down with his back against the wall, he slipped on his helm and strapped it down. Taking one last look over the wall, he settled in to wait.

Not today. He muttered to death as he waited.

Sycor
2011-06-15, 08:51 PM
Delorain wakes early and is pleased to see Tarrick on the wall, opposite the gate from him.

Tarrick, I think we shold let these bandits pass thru the gate before we bequeath our arows and bolts unto them. Perhaps even let our companions engage first and take targets of opportunity. What say you?

TrappedDoor
2011-06-15, 09:41 PM
Tarrick nods over to Delorian as the man sets up across from him.

"I was hoping to start shooting once they're inside since it'd be easier to keep eyes on themm. But I'd like to fire before the melee gets into full swing. That way I get a shot or two before I try to shoot around the sluggers."

Qualia
2011-06-16, 03:55 AM
Marandici wakes with the dawn, and spends an hour meditating with his spell book, preparing his psychic energies as he prepares to face these bandits. Once that has been accomplished, he takes only a light breakfast, for fear that the mornings efforts may cause his to see it sooner than he would like.

He then starts the hard work of preparing the ambush. He pulls some boxes into the centre of the courtyard, ensuring that they provide maximum opportunity for the archers to engage their targets. He places Xin in amongst the hides, hoping his familiar can take a good bite of the first man to put his hand in to grab their booty. "Be safe little friend."

He then ushers Oleg and Svetlana into their rooms. "Lock yourselves in and stay here until this is all over. We don't want them grabbing any hostages should they try to break free."

Finally he makes his way back towards the courtyard, and hunkers down behind an out building to wait for the bandits. He hopes this won't take too long as he stomach writhes in knots. He checks his crossbow and his dagger, but hopes he won't have to use them. "C'mon."

Othniel Edden
2011-06-16, 03:57 AM
Cano wakes up that morning after a restless night of sleep. He dresses himself in his armor and then puts on his clothing, leaving off all of the extra decorations. Cano finds a place on the edge of the building where he can view where the illusions will be, and loads his crossbow. After returning from breakfast, he kneels in simple silent prayer hoping that this would be a profitable afternoon for the pious cleric.

Good Steve
2011-06-16, 05:15 PM
Having told the others of his plans for the ensuing battle Bron takes to sleep quite easily after his long days in the saddle.

After awakening to the cold crisp morning air Bron gets to work preparing for the days battle. Using his mount, Snow, he wedges that wagon in the courtyard between the eastern building and the southeastern palisade wall, blocking off access to the southeastern ladder and clearing the courtyard of a cumbersome obstacle. Once this task is completed he begins to put on Snows barding after giving her a good brushing then takes to putting on his own armor. With this completed he mounts up and places his lance across his lap, his eyes fixed on the treeline before the palisade gate.

"Now comes the unbearable part, the waiting." He says to no one in particular as he watches his comrades take their respective places.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-17, 07:30 PM
Before too long, you see dots on the horizon. These dots turn out to be six horses, five of which have riders and one of which is being led. After some more waiting, the groups reach the trading post. The riders go through the open gate, dismount their horses, and see the "tribute". The lead rider, a man with a brown hooded cloak and a bow strapped across his back, observes that "hah, they're too scared to even come out. Let's grab it and leave this hole."

TrappedDoor
2011-06-17, 09:05 PM
Tarrick hunches down as the group trotts into the trading post. Slowly he rises to his feet and lines up his crowssbow with one of the bandits. Breathing in slowly, he exhales and pulls the trigger.

Initiative: [roll0]

Surprise round action.
Fire Heavy Crossbow at the closest Bandit (Standard)
Attack [roll1] (+1 is it counts for point blank shot.)
Damage [roll2]
Crit Threat if needed [roll3]

Reload crossbow. (move action.)

As he eases the trigger, Tarrick shouts,
TO ARMS LADS! LET THEM FEEL COLD STEEL
And smiles as his heart starts to pump fast with the energy of combat flows through him. Maybe he was enjoying this too much.

Status

Name: Tarrick Silvers
AC: 17 Touch: 13 Flatfooted: 14
HP: 12

Othniel Edden
2011-06-17, 11:06 PM
As one of the bandits comes into view from his corner Cano shoots a crossbow bolt at the dirty bandit.

Surprise round action.
Fire Light Crossbow at the closest Bandit with both hands (Standard)
Attack [roll1] (+1 to hit with crossbow)
Damage [roll2]
Crit Threat if needed [roll3]

Reload crossbow. (move action.)

Name: Cano Orlovsky
AC: 17 Touch:11 Flatfooted: 16
HP:7

Conditions: Partial Cover

Qualia
2011-06-18, 08:18 AM
Marandici takes a deep breath as the bandits ride into the camp. He smiles as he catches their conversation - they were greedy and overconfident, this was good. He waited for the scream as Xin sunk his fangs into the the first bandit. Instead, he heard 'TO ARMS LADS! LET THEM FEEL COLD STEEL'. Ah well, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy. He closed his eyes and started to form an image in his mind, remembering the guards he saw in Rostov, swordsmen with a serious look in their eye. He sought to recreate them now, emerging from behind the wagon in the south eastern quarter, swords drawn menacingly as they advance on the bandits. Hopefully they would draw the bandits attacks away from real people.

Initiative [roll0]

Cast Silent Image Will Save 16 (if interacted with)

Sycor
2011-06-18, 08:22 AM
Iniative:
[roll0]

Delorian attacks any the lead bandit wearing the brown hooded cloak with his bow attempting to bring them down.
(Standard Action) Attack roll vs Favored enemy (Humans):
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]
Confirm crit if Nat 20:
[roll3]

Gurth En Le
Simply Death To You in Elvish.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-19, 01:17 PM
A bandit screams and falls to a crossbow bolt from Tarrick, and the leader speculates as to Delorian's ancestry after the arrow goes past his shoulder, leaving a deep gouge. The bandits all appear dumbfounded at this very much unexpected development.

Bandit 1 is down. Those with initiative rolls above 16 may act now.

Good Steve
2011-06-19, 01:29 PM
As the cry to arms is sounded Bron charges towards the nearest bandit bringing his lance to bear.

Charge Action (Full-Round Action)
Attack [roll1] (+2 from charging)
Damage [roll2] (Double damage, charging from horseback)
Critical Threat [roll3]

Bron Tyvarius
AC: 18 (20), Touch: 9 (11), Flat Footed 17 (19)
HP: 15

Conditions: -2 to AC for 1 round from charging.

Snow (Mount)
AC: 16, Touch: 10, Flat Footed: 15
HP: 21

Qualia
2011-06-19, 03:21 PM
The two illusionary guardsmen break into a run as they charge towards the bandits, their swords swinging in an arc around their heads as they close to combat distance. As Marandici finishes the thought, he summons his arcane energies to help him vanish from sight. He then steps out from behind his cover, clothed with invisibility as he makes his way towards the nearest bandit.

Continue Silent Image for 1 round, cast Vanish then move towards them.

Othniel Edden
2011-06-19, 04:21 PM
Cano, shaky, lifts up the crossbow and steadies his next shot.

[roll0] Attack Roll at Bandit one.
[roll1] Damage
[roll2] Crit confirmation

Hurriedly Cano drops his crossbow and picks up his longspear to prepare for the counter attack.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-20, 02:14 AM
Tarrick grimaced as he clicked the winch back on his crossbow. He slid his next red fletched quarrel in with a click and sighted his next target, an unengaged bandit.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit. Confirm if needed [roll2]

Sycor
2011-06-20, 07:36 AM
Delorian allows himself a small grin as the leader looks his way and again springs an arrow from his longbow towards the hooded figure.

Standard Action: Attack with longbow vs favored enemy: Human
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Confirm crit if Nat 20 for triple damage shown
[roll2]

Move action: Knowledge Geography to Identify a creature's ethnicity / accent / etc... of leader
[roll3]

Init22 AC 16 HP12

Good Steve
2011-06-20, 02:03 PM
After impaling a bandit upon his lance Bron quickly discards the weapon and draws his ancestral sword. Spurring his mount towards the next closest bandit he brings the blade to bear.

Free Action: Drop lance.

Move Action: Move towards next closest bandit while drawing my sword.

Standard Action: Attack with sword [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Confirmation: [roll2]

AC: 18 (20), Touch: 9 (11), FF: 17 (19) Until charge round is over. Numbers in brackets represent AC without the -2 from the charge.
HP: 15

Snow
AC: 16, Touch: 10, FF: 15
HP:21

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-20, 05:27 PM
"I'm gonna gut yez and sticks yez on a spike!" The lead bandit responds when another arrow leaves a gouge in his side. He grabs his bow off his back and fires an arrow back at Delorian. The arrow glances off Delorian's armor.

Attack: [roll0] (+2 included for favored enemy)
Damage: [roll1] (likewise)
Critical Confirm: [roll2]
Critical Damage (add on top of regular damage): [roll3]

After being hit by Bron, another bandit drops his weapons, looks around for an escape route, screams when an illusory guard swings his sword over the bandit's head, and screams again when another crossbow bolt whizzes past him. The bandit immediately drops his sword and, not finding an escape route, puts up his hands in surrender.

The last bandit looks up in the direction that a crossbow bolt had just come from. Seeing Tarrick, he fires back with his own longbow. The arrow leaves a shallow cut across the side of Tarrick's head.

Attack: [roll4]
Damage[roll5]
Critical Confirm: [roll6]
Critical Damage: [roll7]

TrappedDoor
2011-06-20, 06:07 PM
Tarrick presses one hand to his forehead and it comes away bloody. He glares back at the bandit and raises his crossbow.

"PICKED THE WRONG MAN MATE! HAVE FUN WITH YOUR GODS!"

Attack (Crossbow against the bandit): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit. Threat: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Othniel Edden
2011-06-21, 04:08 AM
Cano seeing his opportunity dashes across the courtyard, behind the lead bandit and lets out a bellow, "THE JUST WILL BE GIVEN POWER TO OVERCOME THE LAWLESS AND THE WICKED! A empyrean fire burns around Bron like Abadar himself was guiding his sword.

Nobility Domain Power is used on Bron.

Inspiring Word (Sp): As a standard action, you can speak an inspiring word to a creature within 30 feet. That creature receives a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your cleric level (minimum 1). You can use this power a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Cano is now flanking the Leader with Bron

17 AC, 11 Touch, 16 Flatfooted 7 HP

Qualia
2011-06-21, 05:26 AM
Marandici continues to make his way towards the gate, protected by his arcane invisibility. He then takes up a guard position, preparing a colour spray should any bandit attempt to escape the courtyard.

Will save negates DC 16
2HD or less = unconscious, blinded and stunned for 2d4 rnds
3-4HD = blinded and stunned for 1d4 rnds
5+ HD = stunned for 1 rnd

Sycor
2011-06-21, 04:27 PM
The small grin on Delorian's face turns into a mask of rage as he fires another arrow at the leader. Gurth En Le! Hen-ee-akh neen?

Standard Action: Attack with longbow vs Favored enemy: Human
[roll0]
Damage of said arrow vs Favored enemy: Human
[roll1]
Critical confirm if needed
[roll2]
Critical additional damage
[roll3]

Good Steve
2011-06-23, 11:53 AM
Feeling power and inspiration course through him Bron swings his sword in an arc towards the leader. "Your life is forfeit!"

Standard Action: Melee Attack [roll0] (+2 Inspiring Word)
Damage [roll1]
Crit Confirm [roll2]
Crit Damage [roll3]

Edit:Whoops, forgot the +2 flanking bonus. Those Attack rolls should be 29 and 14 respectively.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-23, 02:37 PM
The leader falls to the ground, a large gash in his side from where the sword blow hit.

Tarrick's crossbow bolt hits a particular type of flesh. Some might call it ocular flesh.

The weaponless bandit, seeing rapidly diminishing chances of survival, makes a beeline for the gate.

Marandici
Readied action triggered. Take it?

Qualia
2011-06-23, 04:09 PM
Oh yes, no one gets away :smallsmile:

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-23, 04:15 PM
The bandit isn't expecting anyone to block him, and certainly isn't expecting the blast of colours.

Will save: [roll0]

His momentum carries him quite a distance after he falls.

Qualia
2011-06-23, 05:50 PM
As the blast of colours appears from nowhere, so does Marandici. "Bron, can you bring him back here. Might be good to question him and find out all we can about these bandits." He then quickly makes his way over towards the pile of goods and draws forth Xin, his familiar. The snake quickly burrows into his robe as he turns to look at the combat scene. "Well that seemed to go well, is anyone on our side hurt? Are any of these bandits still alive?"

Othniel Edden
2011-06-23, 11:21 PM
Cano goes to each body checking to see if they are still alive. Holy magic runs from the tips of his fingers into the bodies of those that are still alive to keep them from slipping further. He then binds the hands and feet of those that he had healed. Later they would be given the chance to repent or face hanging.

He then turns to treat his own wounded comrades. "If any of you are hurt, come down and receive healing. I thank you on my behalf for fighting as hard as you did."

Sycor
2011-06-24, 07:15 PM
Delorian climbs down the wall and looks over the good work done. "Its a start" he mumbles to no one in particular.

He goes methodically behind Cano, stripping armor and weapons away from the bandits, both dead and alive. Any coin or material wealth he puts into a smaller pile for all to see. When he gets to the leader, almost gleefully he removes the three arrows embedded in the corpse. "A very good start indeed" he whispers to himself

TrappedDoor
2011-06-24, 10:54 PM
Tarrick grins as he slides down the ladder with his crossbow in his free hand. Touching the gash on the side of his face Tarrick draws his longsword and checks out the wound in this reflection. Should look fairly rugged once it scars over. He thinks as he sheathes his blade and reattatches his crossbow to his back.

He approaches the group and offers congratulations all round.
"Nice work. Guess we're comrades in arms now?"

Approaching the bandit who gave him his dashing new mark, Tarrick gives the prone figure a solid thump with his boot.
"Thanks for the scar mate." He adds with a sneer.

Looking up at Cano's offer for healing he waves it off. Pointing to his wound with pride he states;
"I'd rather remind myself where I stopped paying attention. And the women in the Greenbelt must like scars eh?"

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-25, 05:38 PM
Cano
All the bandits are still alive except the one that Tarrick shot in the eye.

Oleg comes out from his hiding spot. "Ah, you got 'em. Did any escape?"

Othniel Edden
2011-06-26, 12:16 AM
"No, Mister Leveton, all the bandits are accounted for, and most of them appear alive. Where did you say those holding areas are? These men are going to need quite some rest to survive and we'll need some time to get information." says Cano, "Hopefully, for their sakes. they'll chose to repent of their crimes. If not they'll face hanging, as is the law.

Cano goes over to the pile of treasure and picks out the silver amulet, examining it for hidden meaning. "Mister Leveton, does this mean anything to you?"

Qualia
2011-06-26, 12:57 PM
Marandici smiles at Oleg, and waves an arm at the scene. "I believe that they are all acounted for, at least all the bandits we could see. Perhaps you would like to give them a look over and see if we are missing any?"

He strokes the head of Xin as the serpent pushes out of his robe. "We may also need somewhere to question them, it's probably best if we press on to their camp and deal with any there before they realise what has happened."

Sycor
2011-06-27, 12:51 AM
I agree we need to press the bandits, but information concerning their numbers and strength are needed before we rush headlong into their camp. If they made enemies here, it is safe to say there may be other groups in the area they also made enemies of. Perhaps we can make friends and allys agianst the bandits and hit them en mass.

Delorian almost looks surprized at himself for how much he said, in fact that was more words he has spoken the entire trip here and ensuring discussions.

I inspect the animals the bandits rode in on, checking the hooves for types of mud and dirt encrusted in the feet. Pull any briars or thorns out of the hair or off the clothes the bandits were wearing. Conduct a quick scout of the direction the bandits came from (staying within visual of the trading post) to determine what info I can gleen about their trip or what type of terrian they call home.

Using Survival skill vs Favored enemy:
[roll0]

TrappedDoor
2011-06-27, 02:21 AM
Tarrick sizes up his kill as he kneels next to it. With one hand he wiggles the end of the quarrel producing a disgusting squelching noise as it scratches around the eye socket.

He faces the party as he stands.
"Following them back seems like a plan. Best to whipe them out before they can get together to do the same to us."

He glances at his kill for a final, morbid moment before sighing and turning to Oleg.
"Where do you want this one strung up then eh?" He asks as he whipes himself off.

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-28, 10:31 AM
"Where did you say those holding areas are?"
"Huh? I, uh, didn't say we had holding areas. I was kind of hoping you'd have a way to pacify them."

"Mister Leveton, does this mean anything to you?"
"Not really, no. Maybe you can ask the bandits when they come around?"

Marandici smiles at Oleg, and waves an arm at the scene. "Perhaps you would like to give them a look over and see if we are missing any?"
"No, that looks like all of 'em. Good work."

"Where do you want this one strung up then eh?"

"I'll use the upwind side, I think, like you said."

Qualia
2011-06-28, 02:16 PM
The Varisian illusionist scratches his head as he looks at the prisoners. "I don't suppose any of you packed manacles, or are skilled in knotwork?"

He draws out his crossbow, and loads it with a quarrel. "We should probably hurry, before they start to recover." He points the crossbow at the bandits "I'll cover you."

Othniel Edden
2011-06-28, 02:40 PM
"If we have some rope or chain and some tent pegs we might be able to improvise, otherwise we should just ask questions and if they don't answer threaten to hang them like we are going to do to one-eye over there," Cano points to Tarrick's Trophy.

Cano walks over to whom ever is going to stir first, "Time to see if they will repent for their crimes or if they cling to their banditry," taking a knee a few feet back from the bandit, "Answer true bandit and you will be shown mercy. If you intend to deceive us, or seek to return to your crimes, the law is clear and you will be executed. Chose your words carefully."

Diplomacy [roll0]

Othniel Edden
2011-06-28, 02:45 PM
I'll make the same speech in turn to each separately. We need one to cooperate.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Discard this roll if I haven't convinced one by then, as I'll take 20 on the leader.
[roll2]

Qualia
2011-06-28, 03:57 PM
Marandici watches the bandits faces carefully as they answer Cano's questions, looking for any tells that may help him discern whether they speak the truth, or try to deceive him.

Sense Motive [roll0]

Bovine Colonel
2011-06-30, 02:12 PM
The bandits' responses are more or less uniform, along the lines of "Okay, okay, we'll answer everything, please don't kill us." Being beaten to a pulp rather easily tends to do this to people.

Marandici
They're telling the truth, as far as you can tell.

Qualia
2011-06-30, 03:54 PM
After the bandits offers to help, Marandici takes them out of earshot, one at a time, to interview them, and check their answers against each other.

Marandici questions them as to their numbers, who their leader is, and where they are camped. Are there any traps or guards protecting the camp, how far away is it, and how long will it take to get there? Finally are there any passwords or secret signs we should know?

Sycor
2011-06-30, 06:37 PM
Delorian stands out of the way as the questioning is being conducted. These scum have his interet but he isn't interferring with his companions actions. After the questioning, Delorian walks around the perimeter of the trading post and looks for ways to enhance it's defence.

Bovine Colonel
2011-07-04, 10:59 AM
The answers are generally consistent, along the lines of the following:

Well, there's seventeen of us now in the Thorn Ford camp, not counting that guy." The bandit motions to his dead comrade. "Not that I liked him anyways. Not sure about the main fort, though."

"Our leader? That's the Stag Lord. Showed up a while back, showed us the way about not interferin' with each other and such. Dunno what he's up to now, though I hear the main fort needs a lot of booze."

We're camped at the Thorn River. About thirty miles down, a bit west. Took us more'n a day to get here."

"There's generally half of us protecting the camp at once while the other half goes gathering things. Right now, that'd mean six or seven guards."

"Yeah, there's a password. It changes every week. Right now it's 'by the bloody bones of St Gilmorg, who wants to know?' Don't ask me what it means."

Qualia
2011-07-05, 02:23 AM
Marandici gathers the rest of the group together for a discussion as to their next moves. He takes a drink from a flask of water to clear his throat, then begins.

"We have a number of prisoners here, we must decide what we are going to do with them. Such a large group could be a threat to Oleg and his wife should they return to banditry, and it could be difficult for us to guard them - what do we do with them?"

He takes a deep breath before launching into his next point.

"We must also decide on our next move. We now know the location of the bandits camp, we know the password, and they are expecting a group back soon. If we ride in the morning, disguised as these bandits, we may be able to catch them by surprise and deal with them, quickly and cleanly."

Othniel Edden
2011-07-05, 02:42 AM
"We give them a choice. Either give up banditry or face execution. Give them a choice to have some land to work, or let them chose exile and send them to Brevoy or Pitax. I'll make sure to talk to them at least weekly if any decide to stay and make an honest living. I could pay them a few silvers a day," Cano says hoping there is a way to redeem the bandits from their deeds.
If the party agrees we'll do this before we leave. Whats the rough cost to start up a homestead?
The plan for disguises seems wise to me. However, there seem to be more of us than there are of them. Perhaps we should have our extras take the horses, and place the extra equipment on them. With the horses we have hear we might even be able to get back to the camp around the same time our bandits would. "

Bovine Colonel
2011-07-05, 10:48 AM
Cano
I don't know...Let's say 1000 gp.

Othniel Edden
2011-07-05, 01:21 PM
DM
That seems really high to me. If there is anything in the adventure path, or other supplements, that might indicate a lower cost I'd appreciate it. If you perfer I could do some google fu in hopes of finding some stuff.

My idea is to give them a plot of land of about 20 acres and 3 silvers a day for improving it over a 5 year period. Approved finacing would allow them the cash to start up the project, but they'd have to pay the loan back. I was wondering if writing the Orvlovsky Family, and the church of Abadar on their behalf for a loan agreement would be okay. We'd come up with some sort of payment plan where the church or my family would get the loan money back. We could also require services from them in exchange for the land and payment, such as gaurding any prisoners we capture in our time in the stolen lands. Is this feasible and would the Squad leader agree to it?

EDIT; Did my research and that seems about right.

Sycor
2011-07-05, 04:12 PM
Delorian doesn't like the plan but is smart enough to see how it could benefit the group in the future. Fine, we talk to them and give them your ultimatum. The first one that balks at the thought we go and hang immediately, no questions asked, no mercy. This will prove to the group to keep on the new path we have set forth.

Also, I can track the horses back to the bandit camp, especially since they have given us directions. Take some empty crates and other items to make it look like we are them returning from the Trading post. Surprise them from the inside.

TrappedDoor
2011-07-06, 05:40 AM
Tarrick stands back during most of the procedings. Throughout the whole experience he appears to feel awkward, shifting from one foot to the other, drawing his crossbow occasionally and checking the mechanism more than nessescary. Something is bothering him.

Eventually, as they close the deal, he approaches Oleg.

"Seems we're going to be dealing with the rest of them soon. Mind if I use some of your crates to do up the horses with some fake lootings?" He asks as he points to the stables.

Qualia
2011-07-06, 10:48 AM
Marandici eyes up the bandits, comparing their sizes to those of the party as he tries to guess which bandits clothes would best fit which party member. As he studies them, he notices that some of the clothes are damaged and bloodied. They would need to be cleaned up. As he thinks about invoking the arcane, Xin emerges from the folds in his robes, his forked tongue tasting the air as his black eyes stare into the unknown.

Cast Mending and Prestidigitation to repair the clothes.

Bovine Colonel
2011-07-06, 08:22 PM
"I heard you planning. Sure, you can use some of the crates. Where're you going to get the land, though, and are you sure you can deal with the whole nest? Weren't you sent to explore this place?"

CanoFair enough. And what seems about right?

EveryoneYou have a plan then?

Qualia
2011-07-07, 01:29 AM
Marandici smiles at Oleg's concern, "A straight fight would certainly be difficult, but if we act quickly, we can hopefully catch them by surprise, just as we did here. If we disguise ourselves as the bandits, and use the password, we should be able to sneak some of us into the camp. Have someone outside create a distraction, and then hit them whilst they aren't looking. If the gods are with us, we can deal with this nest before they can prepare themselves. Is there anything we should know?"

Othniel Edden
2011-07-07, 02:05 AM
"Mister Leveton, I assure you that this land needs Abadar's touch as much of those men. It is far better to work the lands and gain something from these lands then it is to let it sit idle. It is also far better for those men to be given a chance at honest work then it is for them to continue in banditry."

Diplomacy to raise Oleg's disposition;[roll0]

what is about right, is that I did research on the pricing. Its a 1000 GP to build a small house.

Othniel Edden
2011-07-09, 11:22 AM
Cano gathers the bandits together with his other party members, and lets them know their options. Execution, Exile, or settling here as employees of the state. He goes down the line of perceived rank, giving each prisoner an attempt at answering. Those that say they won't reform or except exile are swiftly executed via rope.

Diplomacy [roll0]

After this he tells the bandits that decided to stay where to set up camp, a place that can be seen from the walls, but far away enough to keep Oleg happy, and prepares the exiles to be taken from the trading post. He tells that stay to check with him daily when he is at the trading post by sending a delegate to his room. He promises them each a contract when he has time to write one. He then goes and changes into one of the bandit's uniforms to prepare for the ambush. He hoped that the bandits code wasn't a trick to reveal that they had been captured, and with that slid a bolt into the crossbow.

Qualia
2011-07-09, 11:41 AM
Marandici stays beside Cano as he watches the bandits make their decision, whispering into his ear "I hope you know what you're doing, this could go badly wrong if they all decide to return to their old ways."

Othniel Edden
2011-07-10, 12:17 AM
Whispering back, "If this works its well worth it. It avoids them ending their lives, removes strength from the bandits and adds strength on our own side. They'll be paid, reducing their need for banditry, and they'll be under ourselves whom they'll most likely fear and respect after our last encounter. A good ruler doesn't waste resources "

Addendum
We'll tie up any accepting exile in the stables till we get back.

TrappedDoor
2011-07-10, 02:24 AM
Tarrick approaches from the stables. He places two crates beside him as he stares at the bandits. As he moves beside Cano and Marandici he listens to the conversation.

"I don't think this bodes well Othniel. We can't hand out land and homes to every bandit and cutthroat. Soon you'd have no coin and a town full of murderers and ingreats." He adds grimly.

There is no love lost between thieves. Honor amongst thieves was a myth, atleast from what Tarrick had witnessed. He would have no missgivings if the time came to put a bolt between their eyes. He nodded grimly as he stared at the spectacle.

"A fox may look like a hound. And it may be trained to think so. But it will still be a fox. Ready to claw it's way to it's next meal." Finished Tarrick, reciting a local proverb.

Othniel Edden
2011-07-10, 11:01 AM
"These men are bandits for more reasons than an infinity for ruthlessness and and skill with a blade. If there be anything by which they be redeemable, then these men deserve a second chance. The only option can't be one of just slitting their throats. There is little justice in that, and indeed that manner is one open to tyranny. Let us not forgo being just for the sake of fear or expediency."

Cano steps forward without any hesitation and addresses the bandits.

"My colleagues have misgivings about keeping any of you alive, and would prefer to see you shot down here, defenseless against our bolts and arrows. However in the name of justice we have seen it fit to give you a second chance. Vow to withdraw from banditry and you will be welcome to live, or accept that you are as my colleagues say you are and face the punishment for unrepentant banditry."

Cano steps back and readies his crossbow as each choose their fate.

Sycor
2011-07-10, 06:33 PM
Delorian listens attentively as the quiet conversation happens. Peering at each man he tried to judge the worth of someone who accepting banditry as a way of life. He whispers to his companions I still don't like this idea, but I guess the phrase goes keep your friends close and your enemies closer fits our situation here. If we make these fellows any closer though, they'll be in our back pockects.

Delorian readies action to put an arrow into the first one of the bandits that balks at the options presented to them

TrappedDoor
2011-07-10, 09:54 PM
Tarrick's face is marked with a wolfish grin as he nods approvingly at the bandits as Cano threatens them. He readies his crossbow with flair, resulting in a large CHU-CLUNK as the firing mechanism readies. He claps the cleric on the back.

"Didn't think you had it in you Priest." He says in a friendly tone. "Maybe you do have what it takes to sort this place out. If not, atleast you know how to deal with bandits. Would've worked on me." He smiles at Cano genuinely and quickly switches back to dark and brooding to scare the bandits.

Bovine Colonel
2011-07-11, 05:48 PM
The bandits are in various shades of terror, given the ranged weapons pointing at them. "Okay, okay, we'll do it!"

One appears to find the courage and/or stupidity to say, "Y'know, it's not really that hard a choice with the crossbows and everything."

Sorry, meant to post this yesterday but had to get off before the Submit button was pressed.

Othniel Edden
2011-07-11, 06:44 PM
Cano smiles at the one who made the statement, "You know, if you feel unsafe here you can leave the Greenbelt. No one would blame you if you went to Pitax or Brevovy and tried to make a home there instead," Cano says, " or you can stay here and help us out. We're good people to have on your side. I'd even pay you from my own pocket. You could make yourself a farmer, or a miller, or hunt for a living. Endless possibilities that don't include banditry."

Sycor
2011-07-16, 03:51 PM
Delorian nods in agreement. Farmer is a good choice, I really suggest you take it. Delorian stares at the ex-bandits, looking for an excuse to send the arrow speeding downrange.

Bovine Colonel
2011-07-17, 03:05 PM
"...Fine. We'll take the jobs here." You can tell that, while the immediate threat of arrows is a large contributing factor in the decision, there's also the long-term threat of arrows preventing them from doing anything behind your back.

Othniel Edden
2011-07-24, 03:10 PM
Cano takes them to the top of one of the towers and looks for a clearing, and shows it to the new farmers. "Build a camp there, and we'll supply you with what you need. As evidence of our fairness, " Cano reaches into his pocket and removes a silver for each of them. "You'll be paid at the beginning of every week. A silver a day, and I have some confidence that you'll get the loans you need to earn success. I except you to be on time when repaying these loans. I'll check with you what you feel you need when we get back from dealing with your wayward brothers." Cano gives them a nearly wicked smile, and the lithe blue eyed half elf runs down the stairs to prepare the assault on the bandit camp.

[roll0] Disguise

TrappedDoor
2011-07-25, 12:06 AM
Tarrick readies his horse, the grey roan becoming a familliar point of return during boredom. He waits for Cano to return before approaching him.

"We best be moving out soon. I'm going to ride out ahead and try and work out what direction to head in." point at Cano he continues. " You see if you can get the rest of our ragtag band up and ready to ride. I'll be back in about an hour I guess."

Tarrick mounts up and rides out.

GM and Anyone Watching Tarrick
Tarrick rides out to the bandits as they march away from Olegs, speaks to them briefly before scouting the Terrain.
GM
Tarrick catches up to the bandits, and rides infront of them. Wheeling his horse he looks down at the men.
"We need words."
He dismounts and points out North and West.
"If you head up North into Rostland or cut west no one will find you. Captain Civilized won't chase you down and you'd make a clean break. But you have a chance for the real thing here. Families and the like. What we're doing here is going to stick because I don't mean to loose and I know a way you can earn some extra coin while your at it."He looks to each of them in turn as he continues. "Keep in touch with some of your mates from around the place. Then you let me know what so going on and I make it worth your while. Deal?"

Tarrick the goes for a ride looking for high ground to get the layout of the nearby terriory.
[roll0]

Bovine Colonel
2011-07-25, 01:15 AM
Tarrick

The bandits seem to consider this offer for a while."Alright, deal."

You look out and see horse hooves heading out approximately south and thirty degrees west, just like the bandits said. You can't see where they end.

I'm AFB at the moment, so this may or may not change within the next 18 hours or so. Sorry.

EDIT: Make that 42 58 hours. I'm busy for the next little while.

Nope, that's correct. Changed it to be more precise, though.