PDA

View Full Version : Ironcraft Summer Competition:Adventure!

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-10, 12:04 AM
This contest will run until September 5th, 2011 (Labor Day)

Do you have the brains, the skill, the genius to wow and challenge the Chairman?
Conversely, Can you play adventure maps with great speed and skill to wow the chairman?

Welcome to the third building competition. IronCraft is a building competition in Minecraft in the spirit of Iron Chef.

The Third competition will consist of 2 parts:
Build an Adventure map
and
Playing the adventure Map.

All contestants are able to compete in either or both parts, though a builder is barred from competing in their own submission.

Prizes: What greater honor is there than to be named an IronCraft Master? Both Top Builders and Adventurers will be immortalized in diamond in the Ironcraft Trophy hall.

Building Rules:
Build an Adventure Map either on the server or in Single Player.
The adventure map does not have to contain combat.
The map must contain at least 20 hidden diamonds for a point system.
Clear Rules for the map must be given at the entrance on signs
(For example, can only break sand blocks, etc)

Building on the server:
Adventure Map is referred to a Dungeon and is built on the Ironcraft world or Sapo's creative world.
All Players must be whitelisted and be in good standing for the duration of the contest.
The dungeon must reset easily, and have clear directions to do so.
You can build in teams with a maximum of 10 builders to a team.

Building in Single Player:
You can use any mod to build your map. (I recommend Too Many Items (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/140684-166-toomanyitems-in-game-invedit-may-28/)) and/or MCEdit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nn91I3nLL0)
The Map must run on vanilla minecraft. (no mods needed to play)
Adventure Maps must be submitted to the chairman through a Download Link sent via a PM or by posting it here.

The Chairman will select 3 judges from volunteers.
Judges will grade each build on a scale from 1-10 on the following categories:

Creativity: Is the build and how well it works original, creative or copied from someone else? New idea or old?

Aesthetics: Is the build appealing to the Eye and sense of fun? Use of materials and colors

Execution: How well does the build meet the restrictions given? How well did they use the secret ingredient? Does the build have any unnecessary parts to it (scaffolding, item signs, remaining chests, tools, etc)

Secret ingredient announced on Sunday, 5pm EST after the close of the Ironcraft 2 Award Ceremony.

Part 2
After Judging is complete, Adventurers will play the top 3 maps. They will submit 2 screenshots. The first will show the entrance of the map and their start time and date.The Second will show the collected stack of diamonds in their inventory (their score) and their end time/date. Screenshots will be sent to the Chairman and Judges to determine the winner.

The-Mage-King
2011-06-10, 12:24 AM
Locking myself in as a competitor for this. If anyone wants to join me in my build, talk to me via PM. I have some ideas that might be better with help.

As for the hidden diamonds part, you mean materials that need to be placed somewhere in the map for players to find?

I should be able to do that.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-11, 01:56 PM
As for the hidden diamonds part, you mean materials that need to be placed somewhere in the map for players to find?

I should be able to do that.

Yes,the diamonds are to be hidden across the adventure map for players to find. The more they find,the higher the score. The faster they got the higher the score. So the adventurers will have to balance speed with searching.

The-Mage-King
2011-06-12, 12:10 AM
Do they have to be easily findable? Or can I encase them in obsidian or something?

I'm guessing the former...

Frankelshtein
2011-06-12, 12:23 AM
Sign me up. I've been waiting to be able to do an Ironcraft, and I have a "Temple of Doom" idea I've been bouncing around in my head for a while, so now seems to be the perfect opportunity.

If anyone would like to help out, I would be much obliged :smallbiggrin:

The-Mage-King
2011-06-12, 12:33 AM
My plan is temple of boom. If anyone wants to help with it, talk to me here or on steam. I can work out a general idea for it pretty soon.

Frankelshtein
2011-06-12, 01:07 AM
A couple of questions:

Are there specific criteria as to what constitues an "Adventure Map"? Are there certain guidelines as to the actual content? Or is it more open to interpretation?

How large can they be? Given the long time we've been given to build it, I'm planning something of a sprawling complex.

Aesthetically, will they be judged from the outside, or from within? Mine would have an underground feel, but would simply be easier to build at least partially overground and/or floating.

Also, when can we start?

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-12, 12:55 PM
A couple of questions:

Are there specific criteria as to what constitues an "Adventure Map"? Are there certain guidelines as to the actual content? Or is it more open to interpretation?

An adventure map or dungeon is a linear game built into minecraft that usually (but not always, not required) incorporates puzzles, combat, riddles, jumping rooms. The main universal element to adventure maps is that those playing are honor bound to adhere to specific rules laid out by the creator in the beginning.

How large can they be? Given the long time we've been given to build it, I'm planning something of a sprawling complex.

As long as you need them to be. Note that a longer map will not necessarily be better, especially if you repeat rooms,puzzles,change the wall paper just to extend the map.

Aesthetically, will they be judged from the outside, or from within? Mine would have an underground feel, but would simply be easier to build at least partially overground and/or floating.

The maps will be judged from the perspective of the player. So anything a typically player will see without violating the rules you set out will be judged on aesthetics, creativity, and execution.

Also, when can we start?

If you are planning on building it in SSP, you can start immediately. Otherwise you can start as soon as the main world and the Ironcraft world return. I will announce the secret ingredient today after the rewards are given for IronCraft 2. With such a major build, It should be easy to add.

Qwertystop
2011-06-12, 01:15 PM
I'd like to sign up as an Adventurer. I'd also like to sign up to help with TMK's Temple of Boom, if he accepts.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-12, 04:27 PM
The secret ingredient is a tool. The fishing Rod. At least 1 puzzle must be solved using a fishing rod, whether it's fishing for minecarts, or bowling on pressure plates with the floater.

Draconi Redfir
2011-06-12, 07:04 PM
My plan is temple of boom. If anyone wants to help with it, talk to me here or on steam. I can work out a general idea for it pretty soon.

i have some pretty interesting trap ideas myself if your interested. some of them requires redsone though. (wich i am bad at)

Slayed_Prophet
2011-06-18, 06:36 PM
mmm... I have a question...
if a certain puzzle needs creepers, could I use a creeper spawner?

Qwertystop
2011-06-18, 08:55 PM
mmm... I have a question...
if a certain puzzle needs creepers, could I use a creeper spawner?

CKind of hard to control the creepers in such a way as to not ust explode your puzzle. They don't spawn at a regular interval, and they won't be restricted to only running in a certain direction unless there are walls, in which case the player would be restriced too, making it less of a puzzle and more of a "run from the creeper or kill it, no evasion possible".

memnarch
2011-06-19, 12:59 AM
CKind of hard to control the creepers in such a way as to not ust explode your puzzle. They don't spawn at a regular interval, and they won't be restricted to only running in a certain direction unless there are walls, in which case the player would be restriced too, making it less of a puzzle and more of a "run from the creeper or kill it, no evasion possible".

You should check out The Labyrinth of Doom; it is an excellent challenge map. No story at all, but it's long, has a "save system" (impressive for being made before beds), and one of the puzzle challenges does indeed use creepers.

The challenge bit in question has the player "mine out" blocks by using creepers, so that's one usable example.

Slayed_Prophet
2011-06-19, 01:11 PM
The whole point is "fishing" for creepers
don't know if it would work.
and an(some) extra question(s)!
How long can an adventure map take? is there a limit?
Can I include nether support in it?

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-20, 12:06 PM
How long can an adventure map take? is there a limit?
Can I include nether support in it?

No limit on distance or travel time on the map. but note that longer it not always better.

Sure on nether.

Fishing for creepers sounds like a great idea. I have seen some adventure m,aps do fishing for zombies and spiders to get them on pressure plates, creepers should just be 1 step up.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-20, 12:21 PM
Great MCEdit tutorial.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nn91I3nLL0

The-Mage-King
2011-06-20, 12:32 PM
Would it be alright if I did my ironcraft project in the new "creative" world?

It'll cut out the need for admin help with materials, and be easier to deal with.

And I won't be able to take materials out of it, either.

Frankelshtein
2011-06-20, 01:45 PM
Would it be alright if I did my ironcraft project in the new "creative" world?

It'll cut out the need for admin help with materials, and be easier to deal with.

And I won't be able to take materials out of it, either.

I'd also like to be able to do my Ironcraft here, if possible.

Forbiddenwar
2011-06-21, 11:23 AM
Yes, everyone can build on Sapo's creative world, as long as you follow the rules:

Building on the server:
Adventure Map is referred to a Dungeon and is built on the Ironcraft world or Sapo's creative world.
All Players must be whitelisted and be in good standing for the duration of the contest.
The dungeon must reset easily, and have clear directions to do so.
You can build in teams with a maximum of 10 builders to a team.

The reset function is necessary because how else can judges judge the work if the 1st sees a completed dungeon and the 2nd and 3rd judge just see a smoking pile of rubble. This means NO TNT, sadly. If you want TNT, build it in SSP. MCEDIT (Tutorial video in OP) can do much more than Sapo's creative world.

Zain
2011-06-21, 06:52 PM
I'd like to volunteer to judge this time around, not good at dungeons.

Bryn
2011-07-02, 09:36 PM
I'd like to enter as a competitor. I've been building with aaaaa, who is not a member of this board - is this (working as a team) allowed?

memnarch
2011-07-02, 11:33 PM
I'd like to enter as a competitor. I've been building with aaaaa, who is not a member of this board - is this (working as a team) allowed?

Should be fine.

Forbiddenwar
2011-07-03, 01:02 AM

Yes, that's fine!