PDA

View Full Version : Cleric o' Vecna

*.*.*.*
2011-06-10, 03:28 AM
Anyone mind suggesting a good and flavorful prestige class for a cleric of Vecna?

Hirax
2011-06-10, 04:17 AM
Not really a prestige class, but you can get the Vecna-blooded template (it's an acquired template, and doable mid-campaign with DM permission). It's LA +1, which you could then buy off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm). You'd be immune to any sort of divination such as true seeing or scrying.

edit: it's in MM5

Eldan
2011-06-10, 05:04 AM
Wizards, in one of their Web Enhancements (I think it was Complete Divine) posted a class for Trickery Clerics. I don't know if Vecna actually qualifies, but it might be worth a look.

Alternatively, Vecna's focus on knowledge and secrets might work for an archivist.

Telonius
2011-06-10, 11:17 AM
Wizards, in one of their Web Enhancements (I think it was Complete Divine) posted a class for Trickery Clerics. I don't know if Vecna actually qualifies, but it might be worth a look.

Nightcloak, from Complete Divine. It's flavorful, but you wait an awful long time for the really useful powerups.

Loremaster is a solid choice, and fits the flavor. As long as you'd be taking at least three item creation or metamagic feats anyway (and you probably would), it doesn't really cost you very much. You get the wasted Skill Focus feat back with the "Applicable Knowledge" secret.

Keld Denar
2011-06-10, 11:21 AM
Eh, just because you don't have any noticable class features doesn't mean you NEED to PrC. Straight cleric isn't that bad. At least you don't have to spend a bunch of feats and skill points on prereqs. There aren't really a lot of great divine PrCs out there anyway, especially not for evil clerics. Plus, if you PrC out as an evil cleric, you'll lose progression of your Rebuke Undead feature. Its not amazing, but it is incredibly useful to keep a few low HD incorp undead like Ghostly Visage and Shadows around for grins and giggles.

Eldariel
2011-06-10, 11:40 AM
Initiate of Vecna exists as a feat. And really, given Vecna is more or less a God of Magic (sure, he's technically the God of Secrets but given he's pretty much there for arcane casters and particularly knowledge...), you could just Domain up a Cloistered Cleric with Spell-domain and maybe Magic (while CC gives you Knowledge), and pick up Initiate of Vecna or whatever and perhaps add Trickery through Planar Touchstone and call it a day.

dextercorvia
2011-06-10, 01:24 PM
Initiate of Vecna exists as a feat. And really, given Vecna is more or less a God of Magic (sure, he's technically the God of Secrets but given he's pretty much there for arcane casters and particularly knowledge...), you could just Domain up a Cloistered Cleric with Spell-domain and maybe Magic (while CC gives you Knowledge), and pick up Initiate of Vecna or whatever and perhaps add Trickery through Planar Touchstone and call it a day.

IoV seems to render the Magic Domain ability moot. Is there a significant reason to take the Magic Domain?

Edit: you meant Whispered Secrets as opposed to Initiate of Vecna.

*.*.*.*
2011-06-10, 01:49 PM
Okay, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was wanting a casty PrC for my brand new Cleric, but I guess I'll stick to my original idea of a re flavored RKV