PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Disciple Help

SleepyShadow
2011-06-10, 11:21 AM
I'm currently in an adventure, and PCs are dying left and right. I'm hoping that with a bit of collaboration, we can at least keep my character alive :smallsmile:

I'm limited to Core + Player's Guide to Faerun, so options are slim. I would like to take all ten levels of Dragon Disciple (assuming I live that long). Here is my character thus far:

Human
Bard 3/Fighter 2/Dragon Disciple 1

Feats: Improved Initiative, Two-Weapon Fighting [Human], Two-Weapon Defense [Fighter], Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Kukri) [Fighter], Combat Reflexes.

Thanks for the help ^_^

Keld Denar
2011-06-10, 11:25 AM
What exactly do you want help with? What can you keep, and what can you change? TWFing basically turns off your free claws, which is kinda crappy.

Anyway, I'd recommend fitting in one more level of Bard in there before you advance DD anymore. This opens up 2nd level spells and doesn't cost you any BAB. That way, when you get bonus spell slots from DD, you can add them as 2nd level slots instead of 1st. Take Alter Self as your 2nd level spell, its good.

Cog
2011-06-10, 11:25 AM
I'm hoping that with a bit of collaboration, we can at least keep my character alive :smallsmile:

I would like to take all ten levels of Dragon Disciple (assuming I live that long).
These two goals may not be as compatible as you'd like. What sort of flexibility do you have in your goals?

SleepyShadow
2011-06-10, 11:50 AM
@Keld: Thanks for the advice on the spells. However, my feats are set in stone, so there's no real way around that. The claws are not all that impressive, anyway.

@Cog: I don't see why those two goals are not compatible.

My main concern with this character is that I am primary Damage Dealer/Skill Monkey in the party, and yet it's becoming difficult to fill these roles.

At the moment, the rest of the party consists of two clerics (one buffer, one healer. Neither of them seem capable of going CoDzilla), a wizard (trying to be Batman wizard, but his knowledge of good spells stops at Grease), and an utterly horrid archer (I'm more likely to get hit by him than the enemy).

Keld Denar
2011-06-10, 12:17 PM
Its not that he claws are impressive, its that they are FREE. Base damage matters little in the grand scheme. What does matter is Power Attack. Natural weapons get 1:1 PA. If you attacked with say...your Unarmed Strike, that would leave your claw/claw/bite routine open to use. If you got 2 UASs due to BAB and 3 natural attacks, every -1 you take to hit gives you effectively +5 damage per round. With Multiattack and a friendly Haste spell from your Wizard, you'll be pretty effective against things that don't have DR. As it stands, your are TWFing with almost no source of +damage, which means that you won't really be able to serve in your desired role as damage dealer. Sorry, thats just the TWFing works in 3.5.

But yea... can't change much of that anymore, so...yea. Take 1 more Bard level (doesn't lose you any more BAB), and then finish up your DD. You won't be as effective as you want, but you'll be pretty tough to hit when you Alter Self into a Troglodyte.