PDA

View Full Version : Roc animal companion

willy101
2011-06-10, 11:37 AM
I've looked over the animal companion list, and the alternative list, and then looked over the roc, and it's not described how high level you have to be to make it your animal companion.

It's HD and CR have already been matched by other animals, such as triceratops and the "tyrant"saur, tho the don't match it in both CR And HD.

But my actual question is wether there is some sort of formel to follow to calculate when you can have an animal as companion.

as per say, if i created my own monster, and made it an animal, how would i determine when a druid could make it his animal companion

Urpriest
2011-06-10, 11:43 AM
Here's the formula: check the list. If it isn't on the list, it isn't something you can choose for your animal companion. If you make up a monster, it's your job to decide if druids should have access to it, and when would be a balanced time to do so. It's not as if Druids are entitled to any animal they please as an animal companion.

CTrees
2011-06-10, 11:44 AM
On the Roc - I'm assuming you're talking about Pathfinder? In which case the answer is, level one. The statistics, and their progression in the table, are given. It only ever gets to Large on it's own, though, so it's not overwhelmingly awesome, like it might be.

Edit: I have no idea why assumed it would be pathfinder anymore. If not, I seem to remember rocs being available at level sixteen (druid, effective)

Gametime
2011-06-10, 01:33 PM
The Roc is similar in hit dice and challenge rating to the dire tiger, triceratops, and tyrannosaurus, so an effective druid level of 16 should be required to choose one as an animal companion (subject, obviously, to DM approval).