PDA

View Full Version : Help with Use Magic Device!

Hebels76
2011-06-10, 03:51 PM
I am looking to join a Pathfinder Society group in my area and am wanting to make a bard that likes to use wands and scrolls to supplement his skills. However I've hit a bit of a snag regarding Arcane Spell Failure and wands/scrolls. If a successful UMD check is passed to activate the scroll/wand, would I still need to roll for Arcane spell failure if the scroll or wand is from the wizard/sorcerer list? (Ex. I want to use a level 1 wand/scroll of magic missile (DC 20/21). I pass, but since the spell is not the "bard spell list" would I then have to roll for Arcane Spell failure?)

Moriato
2011-06-10, 04:59 PM
You shouldn't, because:

Casting an Arcane Spell in Armor
A character who casts an arcane spell while wearing armor must usually make an arcane spell failure roll. The number in the Arcane Spell Failure Chance column on Table: Armor and Shields is the chance that the spell fails and is ruined. If the spell lacks a somatic component, however, it can be cast with no chance of arcane spell failure.

And wands use the spell trigger activation method, for which:

Spell Trigger
Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken.

It's my understanding that scrolls, however, do suffer from arcane spell failure, so those you would have to check for.

Edit: Oops, just noticed that this is pathfinder you're talking about. Let me be sure that the rules haven't changed.

Edit the 2nd: Nope, the entries in the pathfinder srd are identical, so no, you shouldn't need to worry about arcane spell failure for wands.