Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, MC
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25+5 feet/level)
Effect: One or more thrown attacks
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

By casting this spell, you create one or more motes of glittering yellowish light in your hand(s). You can then attack with them as ranged touch attacks. You can throw one flare per caster level (max 18), and you can throw up to three in a single attack. If you throw two or three at once, you can divide them up amongst two or three targets, but all targets must be within 10ft. of each other.

Each flare does 1d3 (?) damage, and subjects the target to the effects of the flare spell. If two or three flares target the same target, they are all part of the same attack roll. The DC for the flare effect is 11+casting stat. For every flare that targets a single target within an attack, the DC is raised by 1.

NOTE: What type of damage should this attack deal? I considered acid, or acid/fire.

Any other suggestions?

An homage to Nox.

DracoDei
2011-06-11, 12:05 PM
I would consider saying that they have to hit to cause/count towards increasing the DC on the Flare effect. Also, it sounds like you can cause up to 3 saves to a single target, all at +2 DC. You also need to specify if the DC is based on 10+Casting Stat Modifier (as per Flare) or on 11 + Casting Stat Modifier(as for a level 1 spell).

I would suggest "all targets must be within 10 feet of all other targets" otherwise you get a situation where you can target two goblins standing 10 feet apart, but only if there is a third one directly between them.

Can you explain in a bit more detail why it would be acid damage? It has been a while since my chemistry classes.

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-11, 09:08 PM
I would consider saying that they have to hit to cause/count towards increasing the DC on the Flare effect. Also, it sounds like you can cause up to 3 saves to a single target, all at +2 DC. You also need to specify if the DC is based on 10+Casting Stat Modifier (as per Flare) or on 11 + Casting Stat Modifier(as for a level 1 spell).

I would suggest "all targets must be within 10 feet of all other targets" otherwise you get a situation where you can target two goblins standing 10 feet apart, but only if there is a third one directly between them.

Can you explain in a bit more detail why it would be acid damage? It has been a while since my chemistry classes.

Right, Edited my OP.

And if its not acid, then what kind of damage is it?

DracoDei
2011-06-11, 11:12 PM
Right, Edited my OP.

And if its not acid, then what kind of damage is it?

I never said it wasn't. I said I wasn't remembering my chemistry very well. I don't even know what "it" specifically is for sure.

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-12, 01:47 AM
I never said it wasn't. I said I wasn't remembering my chemistry very well. I don't even know what "it" specifically is for sure.

I'm only using acid because I can't think of a more appropriate type of damage. I wasn't questioning you, I was asking you. I imagine it as being somewhere between fire and acid, but I would rather it be something that fits within the rules nicely.

I suppose it could typeless, like disintigrate.

DracoDei
2011-06-12, 09:52 AM
I'm only using acid because I can't think of a more appropriate type of damage. I wasn't questioning you, I was asking you. I imagine it as being somewhere between fire and acid, but I would rather it be something that fits within the rules nicely.

I suppose it could typeless, like disintigrate.
Please describe, in as much detail as possible, the real life injury you are referring to and/or the chemical reaction that produces a dangerous product OTHER than heat. If the only danger is the heat then it is fire damage.

Seharvepernfan
2011-06-12, 06:40 PM
Its more of a burning away or corroding type of damage than anything else. It eats away at matter. It isn't necessarily hot. Of the elements, that sounds closest to acid, but then that also sounds like disintegration. I didn't want this spell to be elemental. I'll just call it "light" damage similar to a good outsiders light ray attacks.

Any reason why that would be bad?

superslacker
2011-06-12, 07:50 PM
Minor chemistry note: this sounds much more like phosphorus than sulfur. White phosphorus is incredibly volatile and toxic, and ignites on contact with air. It was used for a long time in flares, fireworks, matches, and later in incendiary grenades (also known as WP or "Willie Pete" grenades) and as a napalm additive. Use against human targets is now strictly regulated by the Geneva Convention.

All that to say. Might merit a name change, and sounds like it would be straight fire damage since it is actually burning (i.e. rapidly oxidizing, even if not actually producing flames) as opposed to dissolving molecular bonds like acid.

DracoDei
2011-06-12, 08:27 PM
Ah... what the Seharvepernfan is describing sounds like it would share the damage type with Disintegrate.

Else-wise I must agree with the above poster that straight fire damage sounds like the way to go. I thought that would be the case, but had a vague thought that the original poster thought that the oxide of sulfur being formed by the combustion would interact with the targets sweat or blood to then form sulfuric acid. In which case you would have a mix of fire and acid damage.